[News] Urinating on a Violin: Microsoft OOXML and Mono - Linux

  1. [News] Urinating on a Violin: Microsoft OOXML and Mono

    How to urinate on a violin

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the end, this will have been a tremendous waste of time. I’m sure that
    | Microsoft will try to gain some advantage from OOXML, as broken as it is.
    | They could try to reproduce what they managed to do with .NET and CLR by
    | standardizing and opening only a subset of the .Net API , thus letting Novell
    | create a very limited .Net implementation, Mono. Regardless of what the
    | future options could be, the OOXML standardization will prove to be the
    | single most destructive episode of the standardization history. No other
    | standard will have been paid so dearly to achieve so few, while in the real
    | world, the unspecified file format called OOXML and used by Microsoft Office
    | 2007 will continue to lock in generations of users; Sharepoint will not stop
    | using OOXML, as Matt Asay points out. All this, to put it to rest, begs one
    | and final comment, led to nothing more than what we had start off with: a
    | real open standard (ODF), a proprietary format, and the vague premise of an
    | ISO standard. Urinating on a violin would not have taken us any further.
    `----

    http://standardsandfreedom.net/index...e-on-a-violin/

    Operation OOXML, Part 7 x 10512: The Appeals Arrive

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As ever, the white knights at Groklaw have a breakdown of the appeal, and
    | will be keeping up to date with any other appeals that materialize. The
    | deadline for countries to file — listen up standards bodies — is Thursday the
    | 29th.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...appeals-arrive

    Call your national standards body now and ask them to join the appeal.

    Recent:

    Microsoft OOXML: Dead Format Walking

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since most Office users would be happy to continue using Microsoft's old
    | binary formats, and since those for whom open standards are important would
    | probably prefer ODF or PDF formats anyhow, I won't be surprised if OOXML
    | quietly dies before that future Office iteration ever sees the light of day.
    `----

    http://blogs.eweek.com/brooks/conten...t_walking.html

    Should We Fear the (Redmond) Geeks Bearing Gifts?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As well as this unexpected backing, proponents of ODF should also find their
    | hand strengthened once OpenOffice.org 3.0 appears. By all accounts it's a
    | good step up from version 2.0, and that was markedly better than 1.0.
    | All-in-all, then, things are looking up for open source office suites in
    | enterprises: now might be a good time to go on the offensive.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...SS&entryid=815

    Microsoft's ODF Policy Gets Skeptical Reception From EU

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Little sooner had Microsoft announced upcoming Office support for the Open
    | Document Format than the European Commission countered that it will
    | investigate to make sure such a measure actually ensures greater consumer
    | choice. Microsoft's Office 2007 will support ODF once the suite's Service
    | Pack 2 comes along. It's expected in the first half of 2009.
    `----

    Microsoft's embrace of ODF cautiously welcomed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A looming concern is if Microsoft's implementation of ODF within Office will
    | handle documents with the same or better performance as competing suites.
    | Microsoft has been criticized for embracing a particular standard but using
    | subtle means within its software to subvert it.
    `----

    All eyes on how Microsoft pulls off ODF support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | European Commission, weary of dealing with Microsoft, will put the software
    | giant under the microscope
    `----

    EU to investigate Microsoft file format support.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's move, also announced Wednesday, is seen as a concession to
    | regulators concerned about competition and to customers, mainly governments,
    | worried about product lock-in.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9950148-7.html

  2. Re: [News] Urinating on a Violin: Microsoft OOXML and Mono

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic