[News] eWeek's Positive Verdict on GNU/Linux for Some Businesses - Linux

  1. [News] eWeek's Positive Verdict on GNU/Linux for Some Businesses

    Can System Builders Turn to Ubuntu?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are viable choices for users willing to try something
    | different and the 8.04 releases are by far the best to date. Both have
    | excellent installation wizards, an impressive set of applications and very
    | good performance. For most users, the Gnome interface will be a better
    | choice. Gnome proves to be easier to navigate and customize than KDE. Ubuntu
    | with Gnome is less likely to cause confusion for end users and should
    | generate less support calls. Yet, KDE does offer a more visually stunning
    | appearance and offers several desktop effects that can make Linux that much
    | more fun to use. Of course, both desktops have a great number of
    | inconsistencies and those issues can cause some grief for users raised on
    | Microsoft Windows.
    |
    | But, in the end it will all come down to the applications, if the necessary
    | business applications are available under Linux, then the OS becomes that
    | much more viable for business and home users. One thing is certain, Ubuntu
    | gets better with every release. The OS becomes more stable, offers more point
    | and click features, adds more compatible applications and will become that
    | much harder to ignore.
    `----

    http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...urn-to-Ubuntu/

    Recent:

    Government, NGOs 'turning to Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "It's extremely easy - basically anyone can install Linux now."
    |
    | Organisations such as the Shuttleworth Foundation, which help provide
    | computers to underprivileged schools, use Linux instead of Windows to cut
    | costs. *
    `----

    http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/artic...icleId=4366559

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Ecuador migrates to Free Software and Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On April 10, 2008, Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa Delgado signed a decree
    | ordering that the software used by public administrations in the country be
    | free software (and implicitly based on open standards). Fuller story in
    | Spanish... *
    `----

    http://www.digistan.org/forum/t-5290...open-standards

  2. Re: [News] eWeek's Positive Verdict on GNU/Linux for Some Businesses

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Of course, both desktops have a great number of inconsistencies
    >> and those issues can cause some grief for users raised
    >> on Microsoft Windows.

    Whoops. grief == no adoption

    >> One thing is certain, Ubuntu gets better with every release. The OS
    >> becomes more stable, offers more point and click features, adds more
    >> compatible applications and will become that much harder to ignore.

    All true... every year for the last 10 years.

    "No matter what we tried, we could not successfully connect and were
    presented with credentials to try and connect again, even with the open
    networks. The lack of error messages telling us exactly what the problem was
    did not help! We eventually gave up on trying to use WiFi and attributed the
    problem to the flaky WiFi support that is all too common in most Linux
    distributions."

    huh? No or flaky wireless support? Then no corporate adoption (at least at
    my the entire building is wireless), and more inconvenience at
    home.

    Linux falls down again.

    > http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...urn-to-Ubuntu/

    > Ecuador migrates to Free Software and Open Standards

    cocaine is a lot more profitable. Works better too.

+ Reply to Thread