[News] Sun's Big CDDL Problem - Linux

  1. [News] Sun's Big CDDL Problem

    OpenSolaris: nice try, pity about the licence

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The OpenSolaris community was set up three years ago with the stated
    | intention of being an open development group that would not be under Sun's
    | control. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions and it is now
    | abundantly clear that Sun is just using the moniker of "open source" for
    | marketing reasons. One still has to go through a requester/sponsor
    | arrangement to submit a patch to the OpenSolaris project.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18441/1090/

    Recent:

    Enterprise Unix Roundup: Sun Hits Community-Building Road Bumps *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For those of you just surfing in, here's the quick summary: Last year, when
    | Debian GNU/Linux founder Ian Murdock came to work for Sun Microsystems, he
    | was put in charge of a team that would essentially make a binary-based
    | distribution out of the somewhat scattered bits of code needed to put
    | together an OpenSolaris install. This "distro-ization" was referred to as
    | Project Indiana. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Most recently, Apache co-founder Roy Fielding (rather loudly) announced his
    | Valentine's Day resignation from the project, saying:
    |
    | * * Sun agreed that 'OpenSolaris' would be governed by the community and yet
    | * * has refused, in every step along the way, to cede any real control over
    | * * the software produced or the way it is produced, and continues to make
    | * * private decisions every day that are later promoted as decisions for this
    | * * thing we call OpenSolaris. * *
    |
    | Ouch.
    |
    | This kind of thing has been said by other developers before. One thing to
    | keep in mind is that as near as I can tell, this is still the feeling of a
    | minority of the OpenSolaris development community. Many coders seem to be
    | happily writing away on their projects. *
    `----

    http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3733656

    Related:

    Not with a bang, but a whimper

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Roy Fielding[1] finally quit the OpenSolaris community today, see his
    | resignation letter[2]. The kettle finally boiled over and the realization
    | come to many (but not all) that Sun is publishing their Solaris code for
    | marketing purposes, rather than creating an independent, community-led, open
    | source project with the ability to make real decisions. * *
    `----

    http://www.ratliff.net/blog/index.ph...but-a-whimper/

    Sun Confirms Inflexability & Community Disregard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On Monday OGB Chairman Rich Teer posted Sun's answer (crafted by Mr Bill
    | Franklin with the assistance of Mr. Simon Phipps) to the OGB's request for
    | clarification regarding the highly controversial decision to name Project
    | Indiana "OpenSolaris". The issue is highly mixed, on one hand you have Sun
    | Microsystems looking for a way to monetize OpenSolaris, on the other hand
    | they are redefining the term "OpenSolaris", around which everything is based,
    | without a single regard for the community. * * *
    `----

    http://cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=898

    Sun bullied, used threats to gain control of open source project, former owner
    says

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun used strong-arm tactics and made threats to the owners of an open-source
    | directory project to wrestle away control, according to one of the former
    | owners and creators of the project. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news

    Linux: ZFS, Licenses and Patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A recent discussion on the lkml examined the possibility of a
    | Linux implementation of Sun's ZFS. It was pointed out that the
    | file system is released under the GPL-incompatible CDDL, and
    | that Sun has filed numerous patents to prevent ZFS from being
    | reverse engineered.
    `----

    http://kerneltrap.org/node/8066

    "Save a Penguin, Unplug a Linux Server" May Win Most-Flamable E-Mail Award *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just got an e-mail from Sun which is probably the largest violation
    | of L. Ron Hubbard's Survey tech that I've ever seen. It was an e-mail
    | with the title of, "Save a Penguin - Unplug a Linux Server Today".
    `----

    http://jetteroheller.wordpress.com/2...-e-mail-award/

  2. Re: [News] Sun's Big CDDL Problem

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 04:37:47 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > OpenSolaris: nice try, pity about the licence

    This message is more off topic SPAM brought to you by Roy Schestowitz.
    What does the Solaris License have to do with Linux?

    Where is High Plains Humper with his Charter?

    Hypocrites....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: