[News] GNU/Linux Program Installation Moved Beyond OS X and Windows - Linux

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Program Installation Moved Beyond OS X and Windows

    Package Management - Avoiding the Two Step

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | See, the beauty is that even though things like apt-get and synaptic make
    | installing programs as easy as double clicking on setup.exe -- the difference
    | is that we have a choice as to whether or not we pick the convenience of
    | package management. It's the freedom to choose that makes Linux and open
    | source so great.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...iding-two-step

    Related:

    Get down and dirty with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Package managers make getting to grips with Linux easier
    |
    | Let me start with a controversial statement: installing new software is
    | almost always easier on Linux than on Windows. On most Linux systems, a
    | package manager takes care of both the installation and removal of software. *
    `----

    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10970

    The Thing About Beagle

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Beagle is a desktop search tool for Gnome. I thought I might give it
    | a go, because sometimes I need to find things. Since I am using KDE I
    | also installed Kerry, which is a KDE front end for Beagle. All of this
    | can be accomplished in Debian as follows:
    |
    | apt-get install kerry
    |
    | Phew, that was tricky. I can see why those windows guys find Linux
    | sooo difficult. It is waaaaay easier to go to some random website,
    | download an installer, pray that it is safe, double-click on the
    | installer, click "Yes, I do agree to all of these outrageous license
    | terms and I don't mind that it includes spyware, and adware", click
    | Next, Next, Next, and finally reboot a couple of times.
    `----

    http://benhay.blogspot.com/2006/11/t...ut-beagle.html

    Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing
    | new software is almost always easier on Linux than on
    | Windows or the Mac OS.
    |
    | I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from
    | the folks who write each month, certain that if they use
    | enough capital letters and exclamation points, they'll
    | convince me that LINUX SUCKS!!!
    |
    | But I'll say it again: Installing new software is, in
    | most cases, easier under Linux than under other
    | operating systems. I've touched on the simple reason
    | why many times in this column. On most Linux systems,
    | an app called the package manager takes care of
    | software installation and removal.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...x/article.html

    Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and
    action

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last week, we walked through installing Ubuntu Linux.
    | It's not a particularly hard process, and Ubuntu is great because it clearly
    | illustrates the basic steps every Linux distribution goes through when it
    | installs on a hard drive. Even if you don't use Ubuntu or a derivative, just
    | looking at the installer screenies gives a nice story arc to a generic Linux
    | install. * *
    `----

    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/03...alls-now-with/

    VoIPowering Your Office: Warming Up PBX in a Flash

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In these here modern times, installing anything Linux-based is as easy as
    | falling over, and so, barely worthy of mention. But PBX in a Flash takes an
    | unusual approach. The usual way to package a Linux-based software appliance
    | is to bundle everything on a single CD—the operating system and all the
    | applications. PBX in a Flash gives you CentOS Linux 5, which is my personal
    | favorite for VoIP servers, because it's rock-solid, stable, and well
    | maintained. Which it should be, as it is a direct clone of Red Hat Enterprise
    | Linux. RHEL, according to the GPL and good manners, makes its source code
    | readily available. The CentOS team take the RHEL source code, remove all the
    | trademarked bits such as branding and artwork, and re-compile it as CentOS.
    | Anyone can do this, so what makes CentOS special?
    `----

    http://www.voipplanet.com/background...le.php/3714226

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Program Installation Moved Beyond OS X and Windows

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 04:34:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Package Management - Avoiding the Two Step

    Good.
    Now maybe you can write an article explaining how to avoid hosing your
    entire Linux system using the obviously defective package management
    systems.

    Apt, RPM, Emerge etc are all train wrecks that have the ability to destroy
    a working Linux installation.

    And why are their so many different package management systems?

    Why can't the Linux community settle on a single one and actually repair
    the bugs and make it work properly?

    Oh yea, it's all about choice.
    I keep forgetting that one.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Program Installation Moved Beyond OS X and Windows

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic