SuSE Linux 8.1 Alpha edition - Linux

This is a discussion on SuSE Linux 8.1 Alpha edition - Linux ; Hi, Has anyone tried SuSE Linux 8.1 for Alpha? Yes, there really is such a distribution. (I'm a SuSE fan, but I just learned about it myself.) It came out last month and can be found at: ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/axp/supplementary/8.1/ If you ...

  1. SuSE Linux 8.1 Alpha edition

    Hi,

    Has anyone tried SuSE Linux 8.1 for Alpha? Yes, there really is such
    a distribution. (I'm a SuSE fan, but I just learned about it myself.)
    It came out last month and can be found at:

    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/axp/supplementary/8.1/

    If you have:

    1) What is your overall impression? How does it compare to RedHat
    7.2?

    2) Do you know if the Compaq Fortran compiler for Alpha Linux works on
    this distro?

    3) Does it have USB support? I have a DEC PWS with USB ports, but
    I've never gotten USB support to work on any version of RedHat.

    Thanks

  2. Re: SuSE Linux 8.1 Alpha edition

    walters@wisp.physics.wisc.edu (Mike Walters) writes:

    > 2) Do you know if the Compaq Fortran compiler for Alpha Linux works on
    > this distro?

    Compaq Fortran works fine on Slackware, so it ought to work just about
    anywhere.

    > 3) Does it have USB support? I have a DEC PWS with USB ports, but
    > I've never gotten USB support to work on any version of RedHat.

    Just make sure your kernel has USB support, and install the hotplug
    scripts. You should be up and running in minutes. Again, Slackware
    works fine, and I don't suppose Suse would be much different.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@users.sf.net

+ Reply to Thread