Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo - Linux

This is a discussion on Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo - Linux ; Hello All! Has anyone had any luck booting a 2.4.21 kernel with Milo? I have been trying on my XL-300 (aka Alcor aka Alpha-XLT) with Milo 2.2-18, but no dice. It prints out the ###'s while loading the kernel, then ...

  1. Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo

    Hello All!

    Has anyone had any luck booting a 2.4.21 kernel with Milo? I have been
    trying on my XL-300 (aka Alcor aka Alpha-XLT) with Milo 2.2-18, but no
    dice. It prints out the ###'s while loading the kernel, then hangs.
    After loading the kernel Milo normally prints out a few lines of info
    before jumping to the kernel, but that does not happen. Everything is
    fine with a 2.4.19 kernel.

    This makes me think there might be something with Milo. Does anyone
    know if there is a later version? I found some source for a 2.4 Milo,
    but I do not know what kernel to compile it agains. It does not
    compile against 2.4.21.

    Thanks! Sander.

  2. Re: Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo

    sander@superguppy.net (Alexander Stokman) writes:

    > I found some source for a 2.4 Milo,

    You did?

    I didn't. Let me know where! As far as I can see, Stefan Reinauer
    has stopped maintaining MILO and 2.2-18 is the last release.

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

  3. Re: Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo

    Check out ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/stepan/milo/new

    Atro Tossavainen wrote in message news:...
    > sander@superguppy.net (Alexander Stokman) writes:
    >
    > > I found some source for a 2.4 Milo,

    > You did?
    >
    > I didn't. Let me know where! As far as I can see, Stefan Reinauer
    > has stopped maintaining MILO and 2.2-18 is the last release.

  4. Re: Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo

    "Alexander Stokman" wrote in message
    news:bb4422ce.0306241830.ca87ba0@posting.google.co m...
    > Hello All!
    >
    > Has anyone had any luck booting a 2.4.21 kernel with Milo? I have been
    > trying on my XL-300 (aka Alcor aka Alpha-XLT) with Milo 2.2-18, but no
    > dice. It prints out the ###'s while loading the kernel, then hangs.
    > After loading the kernel Milo normally prints out a few lines of info
    > before jumping to the kernel, but that does not happen. Everything is
    > fine with a 2.4.19 kernel.

    I'm using Milo 2.2-17 that was built against 2.2.16-SuSE. I boot fine on
    the 2.4.21 kernel on a Debian Linux Alpha box. I also use the same thing
    for 2 other Alphas running RedHat V7.1 with home built patches (like
    my own MySQL, PHP, etc rebuilt from RedHat SRPMS).

    If you need, I can put a copy of my Milo/Linload where you can get at
    it....

    Carl
    --
    ====================
    http://www.carlc.com/

    "Price, Performance, Quality. Choose any two you like."

  5. Re: Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo

    Hi,

    Alexander Stokman wrote:

    > Has anyone had any luck booting a 2.4.21 kernel with Milo? I have been
    > trying on my XL-300 (aka Alcor aka Alpha-XLT) with Milo 2.2-18, but no
    > dice. It prints out the ###'s while loading the kernel, then hangs.
    > After loading the kernel Milo normally prints out a few lines of info
    > before jumping to the kernel, but that does not happen. Everything is
    > fine with a 2.4.19 kernel.

    Now, that is weird. I also cannot boot a 2.4.20 kernel, but with totally
    different symptoms. It seems that the kernel doesn't read any boot
    parameters off MILO and then panics after trying to mount some unsuitable
    device as root partition. Again, the 2.4.19 kernel works fine; the only
    difference in configuration is a "make oldconfig" that didn't come up with
    any options that seemed relevant here.

    That makes me ask: did anybody manage to run a 2.4.20 kernel yet on alpha?
    What's the trick? ;-)

    Cheers,
    Andreas.

  6. Re: Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo

    Andreas Feldner writes:

    > That makes me ask: did anybody manage to run a 2.4.20 kernel yet on alpha?
    > What's the trick? ;-)

    I had no problems doing this, but somebody here said it's buggy so
    even though I hadn't seen any problems I went back to 2.4.19.

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

  7. Re: Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo

    "Carlc Internet Services" wrote in message news:<9XFKa.65$8T6.22664@news.uswest.net>...
    > I'm using Milo 2.2-17 that was built against 2.2.16-SuSE. I boot fine on
    > the 2.4.21 kernel on a Debian Linux Alpha box. I also use the same thing
    > for 2 other Alphas running RedHat V7.1 with home built patches (like
    > my own MySQL, PHP, etc rebuilt from RedHat SRPMS).

    Is this also on XL-300's? Milo's differ per machine type. I'll give it a try.

    Sander.

  8. Re: Kernel 2.4.21 and Milo

    Alexander Stokman wrote:

    > Hello All!
    >
    > Has anyone had any luck booting a 2.4.21 kernel with Milo? I have been
    > trying on my XL-300 (aka Alcor aka Alpha-XLT) with Milo 2.2-18, but no
    > dice. It prints out the ###'s while loading the kernel, then hangs.
    > After loading the kernel Milo normally prints out a few lines of info
    > before jumping to the kernel, but that does not happen. Everything is
    > fine with a 2.4.19 kernel.

    No problems here. Running Milo 2.2-18 (binary from:
    http://www.suse.de/~stepan/) and kernel 2.4.21 on Miata.
    BTW: you didn't set "CONFIG_ALPHA_SRM=y" in your kernel config, did you?

    -Jukka

+ Reply to Thread