(CHARSET: PC-8)
(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)
From: Joerg Bruehe

Dear Alpha Linux users,

I want to transfer some data (estimated: 500 MB .. 1 GB) from an Alpha Linux
machine to a Pentium Linux PC. Both use SuSE 7.0. The Pentium has no network
connection. I could use 150 MB cartridges, but I would prefer using an
external SCSI disk if possible.

1) Are the partition tables between these two CPUs compatible?
(The Alpha machine uses PC-style tables, it runs ARC and MILO.)

2) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
Do you see any obstacle to writing a "tar" archive to the
partition on the Alpha and reading it on the Pentium?

3) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
Is there any Unix-style file system whose on-disk structures
can be used by both an Alpha and a Pentium CPU?
(FAT is no option because I want to save access rights etc.)

4) If the answer to 1) is "no":
Would a "tar" archive written to the disk device (without
partitions) be transferable from the Alpha to the Pentium machine?

TIA,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
(speaking only for himself)

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
* Origin: TCOB1: A slice of life on your plate (2:263/950)

--
This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
telnet://shurato.darktech.org