(PATH: 263/950 236/150 261/38 140/1 106/2000 123/500 3613/1275 134/10)
From: Joerg Bruehe

Dear Alpha Linux users,

I want to transfer some data (estimated: 500 MB .. 1 GB) from an Alpha Linux
machine to a Pentium Linux PC. Both use SuSE 7.0. The Pentium has no network
connection. I could use 150 MB cartridges, but I would prefer using an
external SCSI disk if possible.

1) Are the partition tables between these two CPUs compatible?
(The Alpha machine uses PC-style tables, it runs ARC and MILO.)

2) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
Do you see any obstacle to writing a "tar" archive to the
partition on the Alpha and reading it on the Pentium?

3) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
Is there any Unix-style file system whose on-disk structures
can be used by both an Alpha and a Pentium CPU?
(FAT is no option because I want to save access rights etc.)

4) If the answer to 1) is "no":
Would a "tar" archive written to the disk device (without
partitions) be transferable from the Alpha to the Pentium machine?

Joerg Bruehe

Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
(speaking only for himself)
mailto: joerg@sql.de

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
* Origin: TCOB1: A slice of life on your plate (2:263/950)

This message posted from Shurato's Heavenly Sphere Telnet BBS
for abuse issues, please contact me at shurato@shurato.darktech.org
Shurato: Admin of SHS.