[News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering - Linux ; Archos 605 WiFi sticks it to the Apple Ipod Touch ,----[ Quote ] | The ARCHOS 605 Wifi is the latest shipping PMP (personal media player) from | said company. Just like all the others it has the ability to ...

  1. [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    Archos 605 WiFi sticks it to the Apple Ipod Touch

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The ARCHOS 605 Wifi is the latest shipping PMP (personal media player) from
    | said company. Just like all the others it has the ability to play all types
    | of media from its in-built screen. This is either from the internal hard
    | drive or from the wireless LAN. It now hails from their fifth generation of
    | these devices and is set to take it to the Apple Ipod Touch.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rchos-605-wifi

    Related:

    Archos über wireless movie player rides in

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | French media-player maker Archos has begun selling what it claims is
    | the only handheld video player with a 7in display and wireless
    | connectivity, all for just $550 (£286/420 Euro).
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03...eils_704_wifi/

    Archos 705 "Mobile DVR" with WiFi unveiled, thanks FCC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Very little is known about the functionality so far, but that whole
    | "Mobile DVR" tag on the name could imply that Archos is packing a
    | bit more TV-centric functionality into the device -- rumors have
    | mentioned the possibility of a built-in TV tuner -- or perhaps just
    | trying to position the same old, same old a tad bit better in the market.
    `----

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/07/a...ed-thanks-fcc/
    http://tinyurl.com/369w4z

  2. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Archos 605 WiFi sticks it to the Apple Ipod Touch
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The ARCHOS 605 Wifi is the latest shipping PMP (personal media player) from
    >| said company. Just like all the others it has the ability to play all types
    >| of media from its in-built screen. This is either from the internal hard
    >| drive or from the wireless LAN. It now hails from their fifth generation of
    >| these devices and is set to take it to the Apple Ipod Touch.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rchos-605-wifi

    Mrs Mark has a 604 - it's an excellent device, although lacking the
    wifi. I can see that with wifi, it takes the capability a step further.

  3. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:45:02 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Archos 605 WiFi sticks it to the Apple Ipod Touch
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The ARCHOS 605 Wifi is the latest shipping PMP (personal media player) from
    >>| said company. Just like all the others it has the ability to play all types
    >>| of media from its in-built screen. This is either from the internal hard
    >>| drive or from the wireless LAN. It now hails from their fifth generation of
    >>| these devices and is set to take it to the Apple Ipod Touch.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rchos-605-wifi
    >>

    > Mrs Mark has a 604 - it's an excellent device, although lacking the
    > wifi. I can see that with wifi, it takes the capability a step further.

    I've got a 504, and I fancy a wifi touchscreen version, though presently I
    can't justify buying one. The only drawback with the 504 widescreen is
    it's a bit of a brick to carry around. But it's a quality piece of kit,
    even if it's not as pretty as the iPod.

    --
    Kier

  4. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    ____/ Kier on Sunday 30 September 2007 16:01 : \____

    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:45:02 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Archos 605 WiFi sticks it to the Apple Ipod Touch
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rchos-605-wifi
    >>>

    >> Mrs Mark has a 604 - it's an excellent device, although lacking the
    >> wifi. I can see that with wifi, it takes the capability a step further.

    > I've got a 504, and I fancy a wifi touchscreen version, though presently I
    > can't justify buying one. The only drawback with the 504 widescreen is
    > it's a bit of a brick to carry around. But it's a quality piece of kit,
    > even if it's not as pretty as the iPod.

    I knew you had bought one, so I was hoping you would notice this bit of news.
    It was quite a long time ago that you sought information about an Archos unit
    and wrote a short review.

    I tried a couple of Archos model at the airport and they were fantastic. I'll
    probably have another chance to do it next week when I go on vacation. Dixon's
    has them on display. Like The Inquirer, they have no mentioning of the fact
    that it runs Linux.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Software patents destroy innovation
    17:00:01 up 20 days, 15:06, 5 users, load average: 0.82, 0.66, 0.84

  5. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Kier on Sunday 30 September 2007 16:01 : \____
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:45:02 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Mrs Mark has a 604 - it's an excellent device, although lacking the
    >>> wifi. I can see that with wifi, it takes the capability a step further.

    >> I've got a 504, and I fancy a wifi touchscreen version, though presently I
    >> can't justify buying one. The only drawback with the 504 widescreen is
    >> it's a bit of a brick to carry around. But it's a quality piece of kit,
    >> even if it's not as pretty as the iPod.

    > I knew you had bought one, so I was hoping you would notice this bit of news.
    > It was quite a long time ago that you sought information about an Archos unit
    > and wrote a short review.
    >
    > I tried a couple of Archos model at the airport and they were fantastic. I'll
    > probably have another chance to do it next week when I go on vacation. Dixon's
    > has them on display. Like The Inquirer, they have no mentioning of the fact
    > that it runs Linux.

    To a great extent, this is not necessarily a bad thing, although I think
    that there has been some work on porting some applications to the Archos
    devices.

    I've had a great time with the Nokia 800 with games, videos, mp3
    playback, web browsing, sshing back to my server box, streaming net
    audio and video etc. Oh yeah, it makes an excellent client for the Upnp
    server on the Bubba box, too.

  6. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:06:36 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I tried a couple of Archos model at the airport and they were fantastic. I'll
    > probably have another chance to do it next week when I go on vacation. Dixon's
    > has them on display. Like The Inquirer, they have no mentioning of the fact
    > that it runs Linux.

    Sadly, in the Currys.digital nearest to me, they seem to have taken them
    off display, in favour of iPods. Not that I have anything against iPods
    in general, but it's a shame the Archos stuff has been pushed out.
    Hopefully it's only temporary.

    --
    Kier

  7. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Archos 605 WiFi sticks it to the Apple Ipod Touch
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The ARCHOS 605 Wifi is the latest shipping PMP (personal media player)
    > from
    > | said company. Just like all the others it has the ability to play all
    > types
    > | of media from its in-built screen. This is either from the internal hard
    > | drive or from the wireless LAN. It now hails from their fifth generation
    > of
    > | these devices and is set to take it to the Apple Ipod Touch.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rchos-605-wifi

    Yet another snoozer ^h^h^h^h "iPod killer" product from the linux camp.

  8. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    Warren Piece espoused:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Archos 605 WiFi sticks it to the Apple Ipod Touch
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The ARCHOS 605 Wifi is the latest shipping PMP (personal media player)
    >> from
    >> | said company. Just like all the others it has the ability to play all
    >> types
    >> | of media from its in-built screen. This is either from the internal hard
    >> | drive or from the wireless LAN. It now hails from their fifth generation
    >> of
    >> | these devices and is set to take it to the Apple Ipod Touch.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rchos-605-wifi
    >>

    > Yet another snoozer ^h^h^h^h "iPod killer" product from the linux camp.

    Hi Gazza. How's the new nym fitting?

  9. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 01 October 2007 17:40 : \____

    > Warren Piece espoused:
    >>
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> Archos 605 WiFi sticks it to the Apple Ipod Touch
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> from
    >>> types
    >>> of
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rchos-605-wifi
    >>>

    >> Yet another snoozer ^h^h^h^h "iPod killer" product from the linux camp.
    >>

    > Hi Gazza. How's the new nym fitting?

    I'm not sure it's Gary Stewart, but all these recent messages are a case of
    trolling and there's prior knowledge about this NG, which signals an /obvious/
    nymshift (i.e. it's not someone new).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"

  10. Re: [News] Linux Device Claimed Better Than Apple's Offering

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 01 October 2007 17:40 : \____
    >
    >> Warren Piece espoused:
    >>>
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> Yet another snoozer ^h^h^h^h "iPod killer" product from the linux camp.
    >>>

    >> Hi Gazza. How's the new nym fitting?

    > I'm not sure it's Gary Stewart, but all these recent messages are a case of
    > trolling and there's prior knowledge about this NG, which signals an /obvious/
    > nymshift (i.e. it's not someone new).

    There really aren't all that many possibilities. Scott Nudds or Gary
    Stewart are by far the most likely.