[NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading - Linux

This is a discussion on [NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading - Linux ; I see the big picture. No, it is not Microsoft stopping the press so an NT win can be announce. Instead it is Linux. And there is no need to stop the press, because Linux does not require a reboot! ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 97

  1. [NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading

    I see the big picture. No, it is not Microsoft stopping the
    press so an NT win can be announce. Instead it is Linux. And
    there is no need to stop the press, because Linux does not
    require a reboot!

    May 15, 2008

    Red Hat announced that announced that a European branch of the
    the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) has implemented its Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Red Hat Network. NYSE Euronext is
    using RHEL for key components of its "mission-critical,"
    high-speed financial trading environments, Red Hat said.

    NYSE Eurotext chose Linux due to its greater flexibility, freedom
    from vendor lock-in, cost savings, and the ability to handle
    heavy workloads, says Red Hat. The company beat out another Linux
    vendor for a variety of reasons, it says, including enhanced
    support and RHEL's implementation of the open-source
    Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux) guidelines.

    The Red Hat-based software runs on 200 HP ProLiant DL585
    four-processor servers, 400 ProLiant BL 685c blades, and AMD
    dual-core Opteron processors. NYSE Euronext plans to add several
    hundred more RHEL subscriptions in the coming 18 months,
    according to Red Hat.

    [....]

    Stated Steve Rubinow, CIO at NYSE Euronext, "The pace of
    electronic trading has picked up dramatically. Linux as an
    operating system has been the fastest growing with respect to
    these requirements. Linux gave us the flexibility that we
    desired, and we felt that this was right for our environment. Red
    Hat satisfied our objectives. Red Hat is almost like water, it's
    pervasive within our architecture. Without it, most of our
    computers wouldn't be running."
    --
    HPT

  2. Re: [NEWS] Linux freezes/reboots big-time in daily use

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > And there is no need to stop the press, because Linux does not require a
    > reboot!

    Because it already spontaneously reboots at a rate 50x higher than Windows:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 64,500 for Linux spontaneously reboots
    Results 1 - 10 of about 119,000 for Windows spontaneously reboots

    Linux reboot required every 30-40 seconds
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2

    Linux reboot required every hour #41 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=5

    Linux reboot required after freezing up every morning
    http://mepislovers.org/forums/showth...hlight=freezes

    Linux freezes then reboot required
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=39498.0

    Suse: reboot, freeze, reboot, freaks out, reboot, kernel panic, reboot,
    finally works http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=46044&hl=

    Linux reboot required after adding attachment to email
    http://mepislovers.org/forums/showth...hlight=freezes

    Linux reboot required after screensaver locks system: #13 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2

    Linux reboots automatically when plugging in USB device
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=29219.0

    (I figured you wouldn't mind me changing the thread title, seeing as how you
    cola losers do it all the time).

  3. Re: [NEWS] Linux freezes/reboots big-time in daily use

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:13:16 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> And there is no need to stop the press, because Linux does not require a
    >> reboot!

    > Because it already spontaneously reboots at a rate 50x higher than Windows:
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 64,500 for Linux spontaneously reboots
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 119,000 for Windows spontaneously reboots
    >

    > Linux reboot required every 30-40 seconds
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2
    >
    > Linux reboot required every hour #41 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=5
    >
    > Linux reboot required after freezing up every morning
    > http://mepislovers.org/forums/showth...hlight=freezes
    >
    > Linux freezes then reboot required
    > http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=39498.0
    >
    > Suse: reboot, freeze, reboot, freaks out, reboot, kernel panic, reboot,
    > finally works http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=46044&hl=
    >
    > Linux reboot required after adding attachment to email
    > http://mepislovers.org/forums/showth...hlight=freezes
    >
    > Linux reboot required after screensaver locks system: #13 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2
    >
    > Linux reboots automatically when plugging in USB device
    > http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=29219.0
    >

    > (I figured you wouldn't mind me changing the thread title, seeing as how you
    > cola losers do it all the time).

    Linux users love to watch all those messages going by during a boot
    sequence.

    It calms them down and relieves the hostility and anger so many of them
    seem to harbor.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [NEWS] Hacker Pours Cold Water on Windows Server 2008 SecurityDesign

    DFS wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> And there is no need to stop the press, because Linux does
    >> not require a reboot!

    > Because it already spontaneously reboots at a rate 50x higher
    > than Windows:

    Yeah, right, Pppffffbbbbbtttt! ROTFLOL!

    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Ha...curity-Design/

    [quote]
    Hacker Pours Cold Water on Windows Server 2008 Security Design
    By Ryan Naraine
    2008-03-27

    Argeniss founder Cesar Cerrudo has found serious design
    weaknesses that could allow a skilled hacker to take complete
    control of the operating system.

    A hacker picking apart the security model of Microsoft's brand
    new Windows Server 2008 has found serious design weaknesses that
    render some of the product's new security protections "useless."

    Cesar Cerrudo, founder and Chief Executive Officer of Argeniss
    Information Security, in Parana, Argentina, says the weaknesses
    could lead to privilege escalation attacks opens the door for a
    skilled hacker to take complete control of the operating system.

    "[We found] from design issues that were not identified by
    Microsoft engineers during the Security Development Lifecycle,
    and allows accounts commonly used by Windows services—NETWORK
    SERVICE and LOCAL SERVICE—to bypass new Windows services
    protection mechanisms and elevate privileges, Cerrudo said.

    He said the discovery also affects Internet Information Services
    7 in the default configuration, allowing ASP.NET applications to
    "completely compromise" operating system security.

    Cerrudo, a security researcher who is highly regarded for his
    work on database security, said the problem also afects Windows
    Vista, Windows XP and Windows 2003.

    "On Windows XP and Windows 2003 the problem is especially severe
    since any Windows service, even when running under a low
    privileged account, can potentially break through the security
    protections and fully compromise the operating system. This
    includes all web applications deployed on Internet Information
    Services 6," he added.
    [quote]

    > (I figured you wouldn't mind me changing the thread title,
    > seeing as how you cola losers do it all the time).

    Above article confirms Microsoft security problems:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    [real quote]
    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own
    hacking contest

    Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    By Dan Goodin in Vancouver
    Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT

    CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the security of
    Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a Windows and Mac
    machine felled, only the Linux box remained standing following
    the three-day competition.
    [/real quote]

    Bomp, bomp, another one bytes the dust!

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: [NEWS] Linux freezes/reboots big-time in daily use

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:13:16 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >

    > Linux users love to watch all those messages going by during a boot
    > sequence.

    They think it makes them smart. But from what I have seen in this NG,
    it's far from being fact.

    > It calms them down and relieves the hostility and anger so many of them
    > seem to harbor.

    Well, if one is using an underdog solution what can you expect but fangs
    and wild hairs up his or her behind? ;-)

    I had some kind of respect for the High Plains Thumper. He just turned
    out to be a cross posting *clown* hollering the word troll on people and
    going into MS NG(s) to do so -- very sad for him.

  6. Re: [NEWS] Hacker Pours Cold Water on Windows Server 2008 SecurityDesign

    Wendy Toiletwater Asshole Nymshifter wrote:

    > Argeniss founder Cesar Cerrudo has found serious design weaknesses that
    > could allow a skilled hacker

    /skilled/ That leaves Wendy out.

  7. Re: Trolls Fail, Now Bring in Their Sock Puppets

    Sock puppet Linux wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> It calms them down and relieves the hostility and anger so
    >> many of them seem to harbor.

    No hostilities, anger, just FUD.

    Lamb Chops replied:

    > Well, if one is using an underdog solution what can you expect
    > but fangs and wild hairs up his or her behind? ;-)
    >
    > I had some kind of respect for the High Plains Thumper. He
    > just turned out to be a cross posting *clown* hollering the
    > word troll on people and going into MS NG(s) to do so -- very
    > sad for him.

    Subject: 7.5 Sockpuppet

    A Sockpuppet is when a poster has several usenet identities,
    either just different names and email addresses from a single
    account. Alternatively several email identities with valid email
    addresses and email accounts.
    Was "Moshe Goldfarb", now "Moshe, Goldfarb." Example of:

    Subject: 7.6 Morphed Identity

    A morphed identity is when a poster has one usenet identity,
    which changes in detail, to outwit killfiles. For instance the
    name may remain the same and the email address change, or the
    name and/or email address may contain accented characters which
    are changed for different versions of the same letter.
    --
    HPT

  8. Re: [NEWS] Linux freezes/reboots big-time in daily use

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  9. Re: With Linux you can get 11 minutes of uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> And there is no need to stop the press, because Linux does
    >>> not require a reboot!

    >> Because it already spontaneously reboots at a rate 50x higher
    >> than Windows:

    > Yeah, right, Pppffffbbbbbtttt! ROTFLOL!

    It is laughable, isn't it? With an installed base of less than 1% of
    Windows installed base, it generates 54% as many complaints:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 64,500 for Linux spontaneously reboots
    Results 1 - 10 of about 119,000 for Windows spontaneously reboots

    Then there's the random hanging/locking/freezing across all distros:

    RedHat: "I have a PC with RedHat Linux installed...at regular times, weekly
    exactly the same time!, the PC 'freezes'? ... There's nothing I can do at
    that moment besides a hardware reboot."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...reezes-601972/

    Debian Etch: "I installed debian etch. Ran fine for a while, then the same
    freezing problem."
    #148 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=15

    Suse 10.3: "Last few days I have been confronted with a weird behavior of my
    SUSE 10.3 system. Several time a day all of the sudden it freezes. Then I
    have to reboot ... "
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    Slackware 12.0: "Bit worrisome this. I have had two system freezes today on
    my new Slackware 12 installation."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    Mint 4.0: "So I switched [from Gentoo] to Linux Mint 4.0 and in the last 3
    days I have had 2 system freezes."
    http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic...freezes#p67069

    PCLinuxOS: "About 4 times each day, the whole system freezes up."
    1st post at http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=35878.0

    DreamLinux: "...I clicked on PLAY for one of the sounds and the entire
    system froze."
    http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,1217.0.html

    Mandriva 2008: "...did a clean install of Mandriva 2008 and it has been
    freezing a lot, regardless of what i am doing."
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic....3a9dc185854a5a

    Sabayon: "...took 27hrs to install.....till I try to do anything......next
    thing my task bar disappears...my program selector disappears...I do
    anything....it freezes up solid.."
    http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/vi...freezes#p67138

    ArchLinux: "I have Asus A6M Q0050 and last three weeks I experience random
    freezes."

    CentOS 5.1: "It just simply freezes."
    http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...forumpost37948

    Ubuntu 8.04: "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP
    WARNING!!! Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total
    lockups."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996

    Fedora 8: "I've been having frequent lock-ups with Fedora 8 for some days."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

    Puppy: "The whole system freezes after a short time."
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550

  10. Re: [NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading

    Micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits from
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> And there is no need to stop the press, because Linux does not require a
    >> reboot!

    > Because it already spontaneously

    Beats up windowps every time. You should tell it the way it is Doofy.

    WINDUMMIES CAN now get the sack for using micoshaft products!

    Anyone caught using IE and other strange software to browse
    or log into the online services to download viruses, trojans, malware,
    crapware, spyware, botnetware are all sackable.
    It is in many companys' terms and conditions of employment.

    WINDUMMY OSen is now unrepairable. More viruses, trojans, spyware,
    botnetware and malware are released per day than all the Micoshaft, its
    partners, and**anti-virus*companies*and*their*engineers*can*release*fi xes.

    The micoshaft platform is un-repairable.
    You can and SHOULD get sacked for installing Micoshaft products in secure
    internet facing, banking and government applications.

    Time to move everything over to Linux to protect company assets, banks
    and government assets.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  11. Re: Linux fails, cola regs change thread titles and nymshift

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >

    > Subject: 7.5 Sockpuppet
    >
    > A Sockpuppet is when a poster has several usenet identities,
    > either just different names and email addresses from a single
    > account. Alternatively several email identities with valid email
    > addresses and email accounts.

    How many nyms have you posted to cola with?

    > Was "Moshe Goldfarb", now "Moshe, Goldfarb." Example of:

    That's not a nymshift. He did that to throw off the bot of the Tattoo
    Vampire loser.

  12. Re: Trolls Fail, Now Bring in Their Sock Puppets

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Sock puppet Linux wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> It calms them down and relieves the hostility and anger so
    >>> many of them seem to harbor.

    > No hostilities, anger, just FUD.
    >
    > Lamb Chops replied:
    >
    >> Well, if one is using an underdog solution what can you expect
    >> but fangs and wild hairs up his or her behind? ;-)
    >>
    >> I had some kind of respect for the High Plains Thumper. He
    >> just turned out to be a cross posting *clown* hollering the
    >> word troll on people and going into MS NG(s) to do so -- very
    >> sad for him.

    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >

    > Subject: 7.5 Sockpuppet
    >
    > A Sockpuppet is when a poster has several usenet identities,
    > either just different names and email addresses from a single
    > account. Alternatively several email identities with valid email
    > addresses and email accounts.
    >

    > Was "Moshe Goldfarb", now "Moshe, Goldfarb." Example of:
    >

    > Subject: 7.6 Morphed Identity
    >
    > A morphed identity is when a poster has one usenet identity,
    > which changes in detail, to outwit killfiles. For instance the
    > name may remain the same and the email address change, or the
    > name and/or email address may contain accented characters which
    > are changed for different versions of the same letter.

    I read the same link long ago stupid.

    This whole NG is filled with Sock Puppets. You sock puppet each other
    (the Linux regulars) with sock puppet dreams about Linux.

    And you Thumpy here you go Thumpy.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clown

  13. Re: [NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading

    7 wrote:
    > Micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits
    > from Micoshaft Corporation:
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>> And there is no need to stop the press, because Linux does not
    >>> require a reboot!

    >> Because it already spontaneously

    > Beats up windowps every time. You should tell it the way it is Doofy.

    OK:

    * with an installed base of less than 1% of Windows installed base, Linux
    generates 54% as many complaints about spontaneously rebooting:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 64,500 for Linux spontaneously reboots
    Results 1 - 10 of about 119,000 for Windows spontaneously reboots

    * with an installed base of less than 1% of Windows installed base, Linux
    generates 72% as many complaints about spontaneously quit working:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 357,000 for Linux just quit working
    Results 1 - 10 of about 496,000 for Windows just quit working

    * with an installed base of less than 1% of Windows installed base, Linux
    generates 113% as many complaints about freezing:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 334,000 for Linux freezes
    Results 1 - 10 of about 296,000 for Windows freezes

    * Results 1 - 10 of about 110,000 for Linux is amateur crap

    > WINDUMMIES CAN now get the sack for using micoshaft products!

    Last I heard, 99.99999% of the world uses MS products.

    > Anyone caught using IE and other strange software to browse
    > or log into the online services to download viruses, trojans, malware,
    > crapware, spyware, botnetware are all sackable.

    > It is in many companys' terms and conditions of employment.

    Makes sense. What are you trying to say?

    > WINDUMMY OSen is now unrepairable. More viruses, trojans, spyware,
    > botnetware and malware are released per day than all the Micoshaft,
    > its partners, and anti-virus companies and their engineers can
    > release fixes.
    >
    > The micoshaft platform is un-repairable.

    huh?

    Why would anyone need to repair what isn't broken?

    > You can and SHOULD get sacked for installing Micoshaft products in
    > secure internet facing, banking and government applications.

    "The Ubuntu community had to yank five of the eight Ubuntu-hosted
    community servers sponsored by Canonical offline Aug. 6 after discovering
    that the servers had been hijacked and were attacking other machines."
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Ub...Launch-Attack/

    The editor of Linux Format magazine just revealed one of their Linux servers
    was cracked/rootkitted.

    "The vast majority of the threats we saw were rootkitted Linux boxes..."
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...g-Linux_1.html

    www.linuxsecurity.com (reporting thousands of Linux security vulnerabilities
    each year).

    > Time to move everything over to Linux to protect company assets, banks
    > and government assets.

    Signed,
    A Lifelong Windows Developer
    Pretend Linux "Advocate"
    Failed Promoter Of Proprietary, Patented Schemes
    All Around Fraud And Hypocrite

  14. Re: [NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading

    >> Micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits
    >> from Micoshaft Corporation:

    >> Time to move everything over to Linux to protect company assets, banks
    >> and government assets.

    > Signed,
    > A Lifelong Windows Developer
    > Pretend Linux "Advocate"
    > Failed Promoter Of Proprietary, Patented Schemes
    > All Around Fraud And Hypocrite

    OK DFS, thats quite enough about you.

    Now get down on your hands and knees and do some Linux for fsck sake!

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  15. Re: Trolls Fail, Now Bring in Their Sock Puppets

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:53:54 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Sock puppet Linux wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> It calms them down and relieves the hostility and anger so many of them
    >>> seem to harbor.

    > No hostilities, anger, just FUD.
    >
    > Lamb Chops replied:
    >
    >> Well, if one is using an underdog solution what can you expect but fangs
    >> and wild hairs up his or her behind? ;-)
    >>
    >> I had some kind of respect for the High Plains Thumper. He just turned
    >> out to be a cross posting *clown* hollering the word troll on people and
    >> going into MS NG(s) to do so -- very sad for him.

    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >

    > Subject: 7.5 Sockpuppet
    >
    > A Sockpuppet is when a poster has several usenet identities, either just
    > different names and email addresses from a single account. Alternatively
    > several email identities with valid email addresses and email accounts.
    >

    > Was "Moshe Goldfarb", now "Moshe, Goldfarb." Example of:
    >

    > Subject: 7.6 Morphed Identity
    >
    > A morphed identity is when a poster has one usenet identity, which changes
    > in detail, to outwit killfiles. For instance the name may remain the same
    > and the email address change, or the name and/or email address may contain
    > accented characters which are changed for different versions of the same
    > letter.

    I didn't see it, is that another puerile attempt of Flatfish morphing &
    replying to itself?

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  16. Re: With Linux you can get 11 minutes of uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On May 26, 4:10 pm, "DFS" wrote:

    The only thing frozen is the thinking
    processes, if any, in your head.

    Say... you don't have connection
    with the Muckrosoft Corporation do you?

    I've been using Debian UNSTABLE for over
    a year now. Unlike my former Windows
    XP, the Linux desktop icons have
    NEVER rearranged themselves and also,
    unlike my former XP system, when I want
    to delete a file and I'm the administrator
    it never ever tells me "permission denied".

    I've never had a crash and this is the most
    wonderful stable and most powerful operating
    system I've ever used.

    Citizen JImserac

    Citizen Jimserac

  17. Re: Trolls Fail, Now Bring in Their Sock Puppets

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:53:54 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Sock puppet Linux wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>> It calms them down and relieves the hostility and anger so
    >>> many of them seem to harbor.

    > No hostilities, anger, just FUD.
    >
    > Lamb Chops replied:
    >
    >> Well, if one is using an underdog solution what can you expect
    >> but fangs and wild hairs up his or her behind? ;-)
    >>
    >> I had some kind of respect for the High Plains Thumper. He
    >> just turned out to be a cross posting *clown* hollering the
    >> word troll on people and going into MS NG(s) to do so -- very
    >> sad for him.

    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >
    > [quote]
    > Subject: 7.5 Sockpuppet
    >
    > A Sockpuppet is when a poster has several usenet identities,

    You should know Wendy Toiletwater" amongst many other nyms you have used
    troll comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: [NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:33:20 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > OK DFS, thats quite enough about you.
    >
    > Now get down on your hands and knees and do some Linux for fsck sake!

    Is 7 your age or your IQ mjcr?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Linux fails, cola regs change thread titles and nymshift

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:26:26 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >>

    >> Subject: 7.5 Sockpuppet
    >>
    >> A Sockpuppet is when a poster has several usenet identities,
    >> either just different names and email addresses from a single
    >> account. Alternatively several email identities with valid email
    >> addresses and email accounts.
    >>

    > How many nyms have you posted to cola with?

    HPT has nym shifted many times in COLA.

    Wendy Toiletwater is just one example of many.

    >> Was "Moshe Goldfarb", now "Moshe, Goldfarb." Example of:

    > That's not a nymshift. He did that to throw off the bot of the Tattoo
    > Vampire loser.

    Bingo...
    I like to keep the Linux drones working!
    Why make it easy for the kooks?

    I'll bet "Lilly" was pissed off.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: With Linux you can get 11 minutes of uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    Jimserac wrote:
    > On May 26, 4:10 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >

    > The only thing frozen is the thinking
    > processes, if any, in your head.
    >
    > Say... you don't have connection
    > with the Muckrosoft Corporation do you?

    No. Unless you count that I've been using their operating systems (among
    others) and MS Office (among other office apps) and dev tools (among many
    others) and databases (among many others) since I started using PCs in 1986.

    > I've been using Debian UNSTABLE for over a year now.

    How sweet. It gives you built-in excuses and built-in bragging. If it
    doesn't crash you say "Look how good the unstable version is!" and if it
    does crash you tell everyone "It's called unstable for a reason. Crashes
    are expected."

    Such a shallow ploy, Dimserac, but totally typical of weak-minded Linux
    lusers - I see it often.

    > Unlike my former Windows
    > XP, the Linux desktop icons have
    > NEVER rearranged themselves

    That probably happened to me extremely rarely, but not since Win2K that I
    can remember.

    Let me tell you what has never happened to me in Windows that happened
    recently in Linux (StartCom 5): all the menu entries under a given category
    just disappeared for no reason. I was using Gnome for a while, then the
    next time I booted into a KDE session every entry in the System group - all
    30+ of them - was gone. Such a joke. What a waste of time having to figure
    out where they went, and how to restore them - and I did it. But nobody
    will ever know why it happened - it's just one of those many slopware
    mysteries.

    Let me tell you what has also never happened to me in Windows that continues
    to happen in the Linux slopware: menu entries, created by the install
    program, that don't do anything when you click on them. Last time I
    installed Knoppix it created at least 13 menu entries that did nothing when
    you clicked on them. Maybe an hourglass spun for a while, but that was it.
    Nothing launched, no wizard came up, no error message. Just click and wait
    and drool while the crudware laughs at you.

    Let me tell you what else has never happened to me in Windows that happened
    recently in Linux (Slax Live running from USB drive): when I browsed with
    Konqueror to any webpage with an embedded Flash object, the browser
    completely locked up. Nothing remotely like that has ever happened to me
    with Internet Explorer.

    > and also, unlike my former XP system,
    > when I want
    > to delete a file and I'm the administrator
    > it never ever tells me "permission denied".

    That happened to me a couple times that I can remember, in 17 years of using
    Windows. On next reboot, the file lock was released. Compared to full-on
    system freezes so common to Ubuntu, that's a major Windows bug.

    As for randomly denying permissions, you're full of it. I can't count the #
    of times/frustrations where Linux will let you - as a non-root user - create
    a desktop icon for a hard drive or USB drive or optical drive, but then deny
    you permission to mount it.

    > I've never had a crash

    Going on a year now, eh? I've been running WinServer 2003 for four years
    and it has never crashed (after I installed a dedicated video card - it BSOD
    repeatedly when loading Half-Life2 levels w/ onboard video).

    > and this is the most wonderful stable

    Linux is stable - until you actually use it.

    > and most powerful operating system I've ever used.

    Well, I can't deny it has potential. But what good's an operating system
    without a world-class set of apps?

    > Citizen Jimserac

    Brainwashed Cultist Pinhead is more like it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast