[NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading - Linux

This is a discussion on [NEWS] Linux wins big in financial trading - Linux ; DFS wrote: > Rick wrote: >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 05:39:52 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote: > >>> So? >>> Everyone knows onboard video chips suck for gaming >> The sound of goal posts moving... >> His machine was crashing ...

  1. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    DFS wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 05:39:52 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> So?
    >>> Everyone knows onboard video chips suck for gaming

    >> The sound of goal posts moving...
    >> His machine was crashing until he put in the dedicated video card.

    > On that one game, and only when loading a new level, and not every time (but
    > frequently). It ran fine otherwise.

    No, no, no. That's not how you judge Linux. You machine was crashing
    until you put in the dedicated video card.

    > Hey (p)Rick,

    who are you talking to?

    > hy don't you tell us how well Quake 3 for Linux runs on an old
    > P4, 2.0ghz Linux system with onboard video? You're too broke and lazy and
    > dishonest to even try it.
    >

    >>> Nobody wants it.

    >> That's a lie.

    > Nobody == very few, as you know.

    Nobody doe not mean very few, as you know. If you want to say virtually
    no one, or statistically no one, fine. But then, there are still alot of
    peoplethat do want it.

    >>> Huh?
    >>> He posts facts from blogs, websites etc.

    >> His lies are pointed out ad nauseum.

    > By who? Not you, that's for sure.

    By me, that's for sure.

    Dumb ****ing ****, you are not one to be making that kind of accusation.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:27:19 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> I don't use it. I install it and get a few chuckles at the inept
    >>> manure filling the screen.

    >> So, you have no experience using Linux. Thanks for admitting that.

    > I have some past experience using it.

    You said :"I don't use it. I install it and get a few chuckles at the
    inept manure filling the screen."

    >>> Specifically, it would run Half-Life 2 just fine with no video card
    >>> (P4,
    >>> 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM), but upon loading the next level it would blue
    >>> screen.

    >> Specifcally, you had to install a dedicated video card to keep from
    >> crashing.What a pile of slopware.

    > You're entirely free and within your rights to say and believe what you
    > want about Windows.

    You said:
    "I've been running WinServer 2003 for four years
    and it has never crashed (after I installed a dedicated video card - it
    BSOD repeatedly when loading Half-Life2 levels w/ onboard video)."

    Yo had to install a dedicated video card to keep WinServer 2003 from
    crashing. What a piece of slopware.

    >>> And (p)Rick, you really don't want to get into a discussion about
    >>> Linux and video.

    >> I have no idea who you are talking to.... unless you too stupid to
    >> correctly spell my name.

    > Chickened out as usual. I've noticed you can't actually support your
    > claims about Linux.

    I've noticed you ignore supported claims regarding Linux.

    >>> Sez you. The forums tell a different story.

    >> NO, they tell the story of people that have problems. Using you logic,
    >> there are n stable operating systems.

    > Linux is stable under very limited conditions, in a server room where
    > it's serving up files or hosting a database. But start using it on a
    > desktop with a variety of devices and drivers and apps and it quickly
    > crumbles and shows its amateurish foundations.

    By your logic then, Windows is never stable.

    >>> But we're not talking about me.

    >> Don't care.

    > Why can't you stick to the script, (p)Rick?

    Who are you talking to?

    >>> Me, along with the rest of the world. Linux (cr)apps lost by a vote
    >>> of 99 to 1.

    >> You might want to tell that to the government agencies, companies and
    >> users that are adopting OSS.

    > A very short list.

    A short list, in your opinion, and, even if true, so what?

    >>> Where's the lie?

    >> Every time you post.

    > So just a baseless accusation.

    Your lies are pointed out ad nauseum.

    > What a good "advocate" you are (p)Rick.

    Who are you talking to?

    >>> And why are you so bleepin' unoriginal, dullard? Every post of yours
    >>> is an exercise in IKWIBWIL (I Know Windows Is But What Is Linux).

    >> Why are you such a dishonest schmuck?

    > I'll ask again: why are you so bleepin' unoriginal, dullard? You're
    > second only to Dumb Willie Poaster for the most boring posts imaginable.

    Why are you such a dishonest schmuck?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 04:32:04 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:27:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> So, you have no experience using Linux. Thanks for admitting that.

    >> I have some past experience using it.

    > You said :"I don't use it. I install it and get a few chuckles at the
    > inept manure filling the screen."

    So?
    What do you think the reaction most people have to Linux is?

    They try it.
    They dump it.
    They wait 6 months.
    They try it again.
    They dump it.

    And so forth......

    > You said:
    > "I've been running WinServer 2003 for four years
    > and it has never crashed (after I installed a dedicated video card - it
    > BSOD repeatedly when loading Half-Life2 levels w/ onboard video)."
    >
    > Yo had to install a dedicated video card to keep WinServer 2003 from
    > crashing. What a piece of slopware.

    So?
    Everyone knows onboard video chips suck for gaming.
    They suck even more under Linux because Linux has so few decent games.

    > I've noticed you ignore supported claims regarding Linux.

    Nobody can find any.

    > By your logic then, Windows is never stable.

    Linux sucks.
    It's free.
    Nobody wants it.
    Thay should at least give you a clue.

    > Who are you talking to?

    Who are you listening to?

    > Your lies are pointed out ad nauseum.

    Huh?
    He posts facts from blogs, websites etc.

    That's far more than Schestowitz does with his "a little voice told me"
    crap....

    > Why are you such a dishonest schmuck?

    That's you Rick....
    An asshole supreme.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 04:32:04 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:27:19 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> So, you have no experience using Linux. Thanks for admitting that.

    >> I have some past experience using it.

    > You said :"I don't use it. I install it and get a few chuckles at the
    > inept manure filling the screen."

    His "past experience" was for two weeks, or three weeks depending on which
    of his early posts you read, back around 2004 or 2005.

    >>> Specifcally, you had to install a dedicated video card to keep from
    >>> crashing.What a pile of slopware.

    >> You're entirely free and within your rights to say and believe what you
    >> want about Windows.

    > You said:
    > "I've been running WinServer 2003 for four years and it has never
    > crashed (after I installed a dedicated video card - it BSOD repeatedly
    > when loading Half-Life2 levels w/ onboard video)."
    >
    > Yo had to install a dedicated video card to keep WinServer 2003 from
    > crashing. What a piece of slopware.

    >>> I have no idea who you are talking to.... unless you too stupid to
    >>> correctly spell my name.

    >> Chickened out as usual. I've noticed you can't actually support your
    >> claims about Linux.

    > I've noticed you ignore supported claims regarding Linux.

    >>> NO, they tell the story of people that have problems. Using you logic,
    >>> there are n stable operating systems.

    >> Linux is stable under very limited conditions, in a server room where
    >> it's serving up files or hosting a database. But start using it on a
    >> desktop with a variety of devices and drivers and apps and it quickly
    >> crumbles and shows its amateurish foundations.

    > By your logic then, Windows is never stable.

    >>> Don't care.

    >> Why can't you stick to the script, (p)Rick?

    > Who are you talking to?

    >>> You might want to tell that to the government agencies, companies and
    >>> users that are adopting OSS.

    >> A very short list.

    > A short list, in your opinion, and, even if true, so what?

    >>> Every time you post.

    >> So just a baseless accusation.

    > Your lies are pointed out ad nauseum.
    >
    >> What a good "advocate" you are (p)Rick.

    > Who are you talking to?

    >>> Why are you such a dishonest schmuck?

    >> I'll ask again: why are you so bleepin' unoriginal, dullard? You're
    >> second only to Dumb Willie Poaster for the most boring posts imaginable.

    Oh, l00k! DFS parroting an other troll!
    This is typical troll behaviour, probably because the poor things can't
    think for themselves.

    As for boring, DooFU$ is one of teh most boring trolls around, repeating
    itself, repeating itself, repeating itself....like a broken record.

    And how about *this* for being dumb:

    If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't be posting anything right now.

    DFS - comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

    He's as dumb as Dopez99

    > Why are you such a dishonest schmuck?

    It's what trolls are, they lie, so they have no credibility.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  5. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:05:01 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    Did you say something William Poaster?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 06:11:03 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:05:01 +0100, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    > Did you say something William Poaster?

    I guess Hamilcar Barca has your tongue.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: With Linux you can get 11 minutes of uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On May 26, 11:58 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > Jimserac wrote:
    > > On May 26, 4:10 pm, "DFS" wrote:

    > > The only thing frozen is the thinking
    > > processes, if any, in your head.

    > > Say... you don't have connection
    > > with the Muckrosoft Corporation do you?

    > No. Unless you count that I've been using their operating systems (among
    > others) and MS Office (among other office apps) and dev tools (among many
    > others) and databases (among many others) since I started using PCs in 1986.

    OK, good. Well I'm a former software
    developer with 32 years experience,
    15 of them developing apps for
    various Windows operating systems.

    > > I've been using Debian UNSTABLE for over a year now.

    > How sweet. It gives you built-in excuses and built-in bragging. If it
    > doesn't crash you say "Look how good the unstable version is!" and if it
    > does crash you tell everyone "It's called unstable for a reason. Crashes
    > are expected."
    >
    > Such a shallow ploy, Dimserac, but totally typical of weak-minded Linux
    > lusers - I see it often.

    No, actually, as you say elsewhere I tried
    Linux several times over the years and it
    failed miserably. Back in the late 90's
    I would get this absurd message "TransSocket Failure"
    I spent hours trying to figure out that one
    - all it was was that I did not have enough
    memory to do a graphical install.

    Oh there's lots of dumb things in Linux but the
    point is that I wanted a stable system, being worked
    on by HONEST people who DOCUMENTED what they
    were doing and DID NOT have an agenda, or ulterior
    motive, as Muckrosoft does.

    Finally within the last couple of years I installed
    Ubuntu and later Debian and was pleased with the superb
    apps, and power they offered - AND especially
    the better security. I know that you know how
    poor the Muckrosoft security is, how for over
    a decade, Muckrosoft would IGNORE articles
    and reports of security holes until finally
    hackers started POSTING the flaws and Muckrosoft
    was literally FORCED to respond. This is typical
    at Muckrosoft, they like to posture a lot
    but come up short when it is time to do the work.

    > > Unlike my former Windows
    > > XP, the Linux desktop icons have
    > > NEVER rearranged themselves

    > That probably happened to me extremely rarely, but not since Win2K that I
    > can remember.

    EXCUSE ME, THIS HAS HAPPENED TENS OF THOUSANDS OF TIMES TO JUST ABOUT
    EVERY WINDOWS USER AND IT IS STILL HAPPENING IN XP - THE BUG HAS NEVER
    BEEN FIXED.

    > Let me tell you what has also never happened to me in Windows that continues
    > to happen in the Linux slopware: menu entries, created by the install
    > program, that don't do anything when you click on them. Last time I
    > installed Knoppix it created at least 13 menu entries that did nothing when
    > you clicked on them. Maybe an hourglass spun for a while, but that was it.
    > Nothing launched, no wizard came up, no error message. Just click and wait
    > and drool while the crudware laughs at you.

    Knoppix is crap -> why don't you try
    a REAL linux like Debian?

    > Let me tell you what else has never happened to me in Windows that happened
    > recently in Linux (Slax Live running from USB drive): when I browsed with
    > Konqueror to any webpage with an embedded Flash object, the browser
    > completely locked up. Nothing remotely like that has ever happened to me
    > with Internet Explorer.
    >
    > > and also, unlike my former XP system,
    > > when I want
    > > to delete a file and I'm the administrator
    > > it never ever tells me "permission denied".

    > That happened to me a couple times that I can remember, in 17 years of using
    > Windows. On next reboot, the file lock was released. Compared to full-on

    THIS BUG HAS NEVER BEEN FIXED BY MUCKROSOFT,
    IT HAS HAPPENED TO TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE
    AND IN MANY CASES A REBOOT DOES NOT FIX IT.

    > Well, I can't deny it has potential. But what good's an operating system
    > without a world-class set of apps?
    >
    > > Citizen Jimserac

    > Brainwashed Cultist Pinhead is more like it.

    Thanks! I like that and will add it to the collection.

    So long Muckrosoft Zombie boy-
    be sure to go along with Gates
    about the hi-tech labor "shortage"
    and enjoy your future career at Walmart.

    Citizen Jimserac

  8. Re: With Linux you can get 11 years of uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On May 27, 5:22 am, High Plains Thumper
    wrote:
    > Jimserac wrote:
    > > "DFS" wrote:

    > > The only thing frozen is the thinking processes, if any, in
    > > your head.

    > > Say... you don't have connection with the Muckrosoft
    > > Corporation do you?

    > > I've been using Debian UNSTABLE for over a year now. Unlike
    > > my former Windows XP, the Linux desktop icons have NEVER
    > > rearranged themselves and also, unlike my former XP system,
    > > when I want to delete a file and I'm the administrator it
    > > never ever tells me "permission denied".

    > > I've never had a crash and this is the most wonderful stable
    > > and most powerful operating system I've ever used.

    > DFS is a long term wintroll in this newsgroup. Similar to your
    > experiences, I have been using Debian for the past 2-1/2 years
    > and Ubuntu, based on Debian for the past 2 years. There have
    > been no rearranging Linux desktop icons unless I have done the
    > arranging. When I delete a file, it deletes, unlike XP, which
    > totally quits when *one* exception occurs, like a file in use.
    >
    > There have been no random crashes.
    >
    > He is so full of gob****e that I seriously doubt anyone pays any
    > real attention to him. His whole purpose is to disrupt this
    > newsgroup and to promote his precious Microsoft Windows operating
    > system, to the verbal denegration of Linux.
    >
    > --
    > HPT

    Well I'm a former software developer with 32 years
    experience, 15 of them developing apps
    to run under various versions of Windows.

    I can't begin to tell you the hours I wasted
    searching through Muckrosoft "help" files,
    and constantly changing web sites.

    Even their tech reports look like they
    were written by the marketing department.

    Finally in 2005 I got free of them.

    I currently have a 64 bit AMD E-Systems
    computer with a 64 bit Debian and it
    is simply the fastest, most stable and most
    wonderful operating system I've ever had.

    And I have consistently used the "unstable"
    leading edge version with complete success.

    Citizen Jimserac

  9. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On May 27, 6:41 am, William Poaster wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 05:31:52 -0500, Rick wrote:
    > > On Mon, 26 May 2008 23:58:26 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > >> Jimserac wrote:

    > > (snip)

    > >> Let me tell you what has never happened to me in Windows that happened
    > >> recently in Linux (StartCom 5): all the menu entries under a given
    > >> category just disappeared for no reason. I was using Gnome for a while,
    > >> then the next time I booted into a KDE session every entry in the System
    > >> group - all 30+ of them - was gone. Such a joke. What a waste of time
    > >> having to figure out where they went, and how to restore them - and I
    > >> did it. But nobody will ever know why it happened - it's just one of
    > >> those many slopware mysteries.

    > > So why do you use it if it is slopware? Why do you use an OS yu dispise so
    > > much?
    > > (snip)

    > >> Going on a year now, eh? I've been running WinServer 2003 for four
    > >> years and it has never crashed (after I installed a dedicated video card
    > >> - it BSOD repeatedly when loading Half-Life2 levels w/ onboard video).

    > > You had to install a dedicated video card to keep from crashing? What a
    > > pile of slopware.

    > WHY the f#ck would a WinServer 2003 want a video card? It's a *server*!

    > >> Linux is stable - until you actually use it.

    > > Linux is stable. You're not.

    > >> Well, I can't deny it has potential. But what good's an operating
    > >> system without a world-class set of apps?

    > > And who gets to decide war world class apps are? You? Not likely.

    > >> Brainwashed Cultist Pinhead is more like it.

    > > DFS: lying Brainwashed Cultist Pinhead

    > Winzealot too.
    >
    > --
    > Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    > This message was sent from a
    > computer which is guaranteed
    > 100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

    EXCUSE ME -> Could you please
    correctly refer to that operating system
    with the proper spelling and company name -
    I think it is the SPINDOZE operating system
    produced by Muckrosoft Inc.

    Be sure to check out their latest
    operating system "Vapidsta" too!

    Citizen Jimserac

  10. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    Rick wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 05:39:52 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    >> So?
    >> Everyone knows onboard video chips suck for gaming

    > The sound of goal posts moving...
    > His machine was crashing until he put in the dedicated video card.

    On that one game, and only when loading a new level, and not every time (but
    frequently). It ran fine otherwise.

    Hey (p)Rick, why don't you tell us how well Quake 3 for Linux runs on an old
    P4, 2.0ghz Linux system with onboard video? You're too broke and lazy and
    dishonest to even try it.

    >> Nobody wants it.

    > That's a lie.

    Nobody == very few, as you know.

    >> Huh?
    >> He posts facts from blogs, websites etc.

    > His lies are pointed out ad nauseum.

    By who? Not you, that's for sure.

    >> That's you Rick....
    >> An asshole supreme.

    > In your mind....

    (p)Rick, you're objectively an asshole. And a mighty lame one at that.

  11. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    Rick wrote:

    > You said :"I don't use it. I install it and get a few chuckles at the
    > inept manure filling the screen."

    I don't use it like some "advocates" claim to use it, but I install it and
    test out dozens of apps, and setup KNode and the like.

    >>> Specifcally, you had to install a dedicated video card to keep from
    >>> crashing.What a pile of slopware.

    > Yo had to install a dedicated video card to keep WinServer 2003 from
    > crashing. What a piece of slopware.

    This constant repeating of the same sentence is why you're worthless to talk
    with.

    >> Chickened out as usual. I've noticed you can't actually support your
    >> claims about Linux.

    > I've noticed you ignore supported claims regarding Linux.

    There you go running away again.

    > By your logic then, Windows is never stable.

    It's a rock relative to desktop Linux (where "stable" includes app
    problems).

    >>> You might want to tell that to the government agencies, companies
    >>> and users that are adopting OSS.

    >> A very short list.

    > A short list, in your opinion, and, even if true, so what?

    Then you should say it's a short list. Otherwise you sound like the type of
    cola idiot who would hold up Largo FL's usage of 2 Linux servers as
    meaningful.... whoops, you were - and are - that cola idiot.

    > Your lies are pointed out ad nauseum.

    Not by you, that's for sure.

    > Who are you talking to?

    A prick named Rick. I shorten it to (p)Rick to save a few bytes.

    >>> Why are you such a dishonest schmuck?

    > Why are you such a dishonest schmuck?

    blah blah blah... same sentences, over and over and over. Didn't your Momma
    tell you not to bore people?

  12. Re: With Linux you can get 11 years of uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    Jimnutsac wrote:

    > Well I'm a former software developer with 32 years
    > experience, 15 of them developing apps
    > to run under various versions of Windows.
    >
    > I can't begin to tell you the hours I wasted
    > searching through Muckrosoft "help" files,
    > and constantly changing web sites.

    Sure you have. Wendy makes much the same claim.

    > Even their tech reports look like they
    > were written by the marketing department.
    >
    > Finally in 2005 I got free of them.
    >
    > I currently have a 64 bit AMD E-Systems
    > computer with a 64 bit Debian and it
    > is simply the fastest, most stable and most
    > wonderful operating system I've ever had.
    >
    > And I have consistently used the "unstable"
    > leading edge version with complete success.

    Sure you have. GRUB2 and VirtualBox OSE worked *flawlessly* in Testing,
    right Jimnutsac?

  13. Re: With Linux you can get 11 minutes of uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    "Jimserac" wrote in message
    > On May 28, 10:29 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> Jimserac wrote:

    > Last but not least, I will remind
    > you that despite its protestations
    > of "software innovation" and
    > proprietary Muckrosoft software,
    > In my opinion, Muckrosoft has incurred fines
    > in the HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS
    > OF DOLLARS in Europe and has
    > been the subject of major anti-
    > trust and/or anticompetitive violations
    > here too.

    Hundreds of billions you claim. I'm sure you have a link to back up this
    ridiculous statement. If you don't then you should run along now.

  14. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:36:51 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> You said :"I don't use it. I install it and get a few chuckles at the
    >> inept manure filling the screen."

    > I don't use it like some "advocates" claim to use it, but I install it
    > and test out dozens of apps, and setup KNode and the like.

    Let us know when you're likely to stop switching stories.

    ... but you could try to tenl us now why you use "slopware".

    >> Yo had to install a dedicated video card to keep WinServer 2003 from
    >> crashing. What a piece of slopware.

    > This constant repeating of the same sentence is why you're worthless to
    > talk with.

    It is your type of logic. One example always extrapolates to all
    instances. So, if that type of logic makes one worthless to talk to, as
    you say, you have just proclaimed yourself worthless to talk to.

    >>> Chickened out as usual. I've noticed you can't actually support your
    >>> claims about Linux.

    >> I've noticed you ignore supported claims regarding Linux.

    > There you go running away again.

    I've noticed you ignore supported claims regarding Linux.

    >> By your logic then, Windows is never stable.

    > It's a rock relative to desktop Linux (where "stable" includes app
    > problems).

    By your logic then, Windows is never stable.

    >>> A very short list.

    >> A short list, in your opinion, and, even if true, so what?

    > Then you should say it's a short list. Otherwise you sound like the
    > type of cola idiot who would hold up Largo FL's usage of 2 Linux servers
    > as meaningful.... whoops, you were - and are - that cola idiot.

    Approximately 900 employees, 400 thin clients 2 servers, and yes, is it
    meaningful. It seems the switch to Linux has saved the city over a
    million dollars, and the employees seem to be happy with the
    environment.Your denigration of the success in places like Largo shows
    your bigotry.

    Here's your chance to diss the French national police, who are switching
    to Linux.

    Oh, but, of course, no amount of switching will be enough to impress
    you....

    >> Your lies are pointed out ad nauseum.

    > Not by you, that's for sure.

    By me, that's for sure.

    Wow, that was original, Dumb ****ing ****.

    >> Why are you such a dishonest schmuck?

    > blah blah blah... same sentences, over and over and over. Didn't your
    > Momma tell you not to bore people?

    I don't need to use more than a few sentences with your ilk.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  16. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  17. Re: With Linux you can get uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  18. Re: With Linux you can get 11 minutes of uptime! Take that Microsoft!

    Jimserac wrote:

    > Oh YA! I heard about the hole in the mouse cursor software,
    > it was one of the first potential security breach errors
    > fixed AFTER Vista was released.
    >
    > Remember, Muckrosoft has not written a new operating
    > system in YEARS. All they keep doing is taking big chunks
    > from the older systems, and then retrofit them to
    > some new code here and there.

    But every new Linux distro and kernel is built from the ground up. Gotcha.

    > THAT's why they have
    > such a huge need for zombie developers - they need
    > huge numbers of birdbrains to keep track of all the
    > kludges, retrofits, version adjustments, patches,
    > patches to patches and rewrites.

    You must not keep up with the patch machine that is Linux.

    > THAT's why
    > they were unable to release that promised new
    > file system when they released VISTA. THAT'S
    > why they STILL HAVEN'T.
    >
    > Hey, your right on a few things, there ARE
    > some really goofy things in Linux and probably
    > in every operating system. For example,
    > one day after I had enabled some system
    > sounds the sound in my movie player and
    > cd playing stopped working.

    Sounds (haha) like they need some of those MS 'birdbrains' to fix their
    slop.

    The sound in my Windows systems has NEVER just quit working for some random,
    bull**** reason.

    > That one
    > took only a few minutes to find
    > out about the two sound subsystems
    > in linux and how they don't get along
    > too well with one another (goofy and
    > goofier in my opinion) but it did
    > not take long for me to do a
    > killall esd and then automate
    > the fix later.

    So what's Grandma gonna do?

    > Last but not least, I will remind
    > you that despite its protestations
    > of "software innovation" and
    > proprietary Muckrosoft software,
    > In my opinion, Muckrosoft has incurred fines
    > in the HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS
    > OF DOLLARS in Europe and has
    > been the subject of major anti-
    > trust and/or anticompetitive violations
    > here too.

    That's what usually happens when so many people buy your stuff that you
    become totally dominant. Then you're subject to intense scrutiny and
    everything you do is questioned.

    Then you attract the scum of the government, such as the EU "Competition
    Commission." Those lowlifes are forcing Microsoft to sell a version of XP
    with no media player, that no one asked for and no one wants. How silly.
    They're acting against the wishes of the marketplace, and one of their
    "commissioners" has even publicly stated her desire for MS to have a greatly
    reduced market share. They should toss her in jail for anti-competitive
    market manipulation.

    > This is NOT the behaviour of what could
    > have been a great company.
    > They have acted in a manner which RESTRAINS
    > innovation (Linux is not much better,
    > they often meekly follow windows models)
    > and blocks experimentation and development.

    This lame excuse is often used by Linux/OSS copycats.

    How has MS restrained experimentation and innovation by other companies and
    developers?

    > I have no use for their
    > legalese verbiage which seeks to
    > control every aspect of my computer
    > and the software I use on it
    > and seeks approval for snooping
    > on my computer activites such as
    > when they send back to Muckrosoft
    > information every time I use
    > the find files or folder.

    I hate it too, but it's the price you pay for using Windows (and many non-MS
    Windows products are just as bad if not worse - check into RealPlayer).

    Usually it's a price easily worth paying, in my estimation.

    > As a former Windows developer
    > I can understand how
    > irritating some of the linux
    > fanatics can be

    You got that right. Many of them are just pathetic liars and idiots and
    hypocrites. They actually make their livings with Windows by day but call
    MS "evil" and bitch and complain at night.

    > but you
    > really should investigate
    > some of their apps and system
    > long term - a LOT of what
    > they say is true, but it is
    > up to YOU to find out.

    I like your reasonable approach here. No frothing and cursing and lying
    about how evil MS is and how great Linux is.

    I wish Linux had a bunch of truly competitive apps - I would use them at
    least part-time (and gladly donate the equivalent price for the
    closed-source alternative). MS is too big and dominant and pervasive, and I
    don't like paying them any more than you guys do. And I don't like the
    feeling that there's no good alternative - but unfortunately there's not.

    > I recall when Micros first arrive, there
    > was a fairly large number of minicomputer
    > software developers who laughed at me -
    > micros will never have enough memory,
    > they will never be able to outperform
    > minis ... etc. on and on it went,
    > all through the 1980's As micros
    > gradually captured one after another
    > of the former minicomputer markets,
    > the remaining minicomputer programs,
    > an ever shrinking and unemployable
    > bunch persisted in their delusion
    > that the minis were forever.
    > There are probably some of the
    > poor bastards still out there
    > who STILL think that way.

    There weren't 1 billion minicomputers out there.

    > Now YOU are like the minicomputer
    > programmers of the 80's. Like them,
    > you see flaws in the upstart
    > and laugh at them but don't realize
    > that the rate of improvement and performance
    > of Linux is growing far faster than

    Of course it's growing faster: Linux has a tiny installed base.

    > the pathetic patched over piece
    > of tripe operating system from Muckrosoft -
    > which will continue expending MILLIONS
    > of dollars not on improving it but
    > on TELLING YOU THAT THEY HAVE.

    This is just silly. Windows Server is miles ahead of the Windows technology
    of 10 years ago.

    > The change will come gradually so that
    > you will work in your obsoleted niche for
    > some time before one day the inevitable
    > occurs.

    You're the 3rd cola wack in 2 days to make identical claims about Linux
    taking my job. The funny thing about you guys is you can just sit and make
    baseless speculative claims about Linux taking over because you have no
    stake in them - they're just meaningless words.

    Plus they're kind of laughable:

    * Linux installed base is not worth mentioning on the desktop

    * Windows has approx. 90% worldwide desktop installed share.

    * Virtually 100% of corporate desktops are Windows, and they aren't going
    anywhere.

    So, since I develop desktop Windows software for corporations' internal use,
    why would I need to adapt to your non-existent fantasy?

  19. Re: [NEWS] Linux freezes/reboots big-time in daily use

    On 2008-05-26, Linux wrote:
    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:13:16 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>

    >> Linux users love to watch all those messages going by during a boot
    >> sequence.

    > They think it makes them smart. But from what I have seen in this NG,

    Sorry, but I run Gentoo. It runs a splash screen during bootup which
    shows little pictures of which services are currently loading... but you
    really don't get a good look at the splash graphics because boot is so
    rapid.

    You must be wanking on about a Linux from before the year 2000.

    > it's far from being fact.

    Nearly everything DFS writes is far from being fact.

    >> It calms them down and relieves the hostility and anger so many of them
    >> seem to harbor.
    >>

    > Well, if one is using an underdog solution what can you expect but fangs
    > and wild hairs up his or her behind? ;-)
    >
    > I had some kind of respect for the High Plains Thumper. He just turned
    > out to be a cross posting *clown* hollering the word troll on people and
    > going into MS NG(s) to do so -- very sad for him.

    DFS... is that you?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  20. Re: Trolls Fail, Now Bring in Their Sock Puppets

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power