[News] [Rival] Microsoft Down 21% for the Year - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Down 21% for the Year

    Microsoft shares may stay cheap: Barron's

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With Microsoft down about 21 percent for the year and trading close to a
    | 52-week low, the downside seems limited.
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/hotSt...31099020080525

    Recent:

    Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
    | by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
    `---- ^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210...googlenews_wsj

    Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
    | market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
    | doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
    | maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
    | forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | revenue significantly."
    `----

    http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

    Microsoft sees slide in profits

    Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
    | percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
    | of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
    | chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
    | Corp.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
    | $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
    | fallen 11 percent this year.
    `----

    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | With Microsoft down about 21 percent for the year and trading close to a
    > | 52-week low, the downside seems limited.
    > `----

    "Downside seems limited" is actually a positive thing.

    Google is down the exact same amount as Microsoft. So why didn't you post
    that instead?

    http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=M...urce=undefined

    - ss

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    > ____/ Subway steel on Monday 26 May 2008 17:48 : \____
    >

    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    >> "Downside seems limited" is actually a positive thing.
    >>
    >> Google is down the exact same amount as Microsoft. So why didn't you post
    >> that instead?
    >>

    > http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=M...urce=undefined
    >>

    >> - ss

    > Google, like IBM, is a proprietary software company and I'm not especially
    > concerned about it. The point to be made is that the company which fights
    > FOSS
    > (tooth and nail) is toppling itself. Who /else/ would fight Linux? Nokia?
    > Apple? I don't see that happening.

    Ok, but the main point you appear to be making is that a stock price being
    down 21% for the year is somehow indicative of something. You didn't mention
    anything about competition or fighting FOSS or Linux. The "subject" posted
    was that a stock price being down 21% is relevant and if it's relevant to
    Microsoft then the same relevancy would also apply to stocks such as Google
    which are also down by the exact same amount.

    If you are really this convinced that stock price has anything to do with
    the viability of a product or technology then take a look at LNUX (VA
    Linux) which is down 35% for the year. I can't tell what point you're
    attempting to make by talking about stock prices but if you're going to
    compare apples to apples (stock price to stock price) then LNUX and GOOG are
    faring the same or worse.

    - ss

    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | YaSTall Linux to figure out the magic
    > http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > Tasks: 160 total, 1 running, 159 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    > http://iuron.com - knowledge engine, not a search engine

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 10:02:40 -0400, Subway steel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> ____/ Subway steel on Monday 26 May 2008 17:48 : \____
    >>

    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> "Downside seems limited" is actually a positive thing.
    >>>
    >>> Google is down the exact same amount as Microsoft. So why didn't you post
    >>> that instead?
    >>>

    >> http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=M...urce=undefined
    >>>

    >>> - ss

    >> Google, like IBM, is a proprietary software company and I'm not especially
    >> concerned about it. The point to be made is that the company which fights
    >> FOSS
    >> (tooth and nail) is toppling itself. Who /else/ would fight Linux? Nokia?
    >> Apple? I don't see that happening.

    > Ok, but the main point you appear to be making is that a stock price being
    > down 21% for the year is somehow indicative of something. You didn't mention
    > anything about competition or fighting FOSS or Linux. The "subject" posted
    > was that a stock price being down 21% is relevant and if it's relevant to
    > Microsoft then the same relevancy would also apply to stocks such as Google
    > which are also down by the exact same amount.
    >
    > If you are really this convinced that stock price has anything to do with
    > the viability of a product or technology then take a look at LNUX (VA
    > Linux) which is down 35% for the year. I can't tell what point you're
    > attempting to make by talking about stock prices but if you're going to
    > compare apples to apples (stock price to stock price) then LNUX and GOOG are
    > faring the same or worse.
    >
    > - ss

    Schestowitz's business skills seem to be on par with his programming
    skills.

    That must be one hell of an easy University to get a degree from.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    Stock quotes, May 29, 2008 vs 1 year ago (source: Yahoo finance)
    First today, next a year ago, then percentage change

    MSFT 28.62 30.35 -6%
    AAPL 187.86 114.35 +64%
    GOOG 582.41 487.11 +23%

    Yes, the year in which Vista was introduced has really lifted
    Microsoft's spirits.

  8. Re: [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    wrote in message
    > Stock quotes, May 29, 2008 vs 1 year ago (source: Yahoo finance)
    > First today, next a year ago, then percentage change
    >
    > MSFT 28.62 30.35 -6%
    > AAPL 187.86 114.35 +64%
    > GOOG 582.41 487.11 +23%
    >
    > Yes, the year in which Vista was introduced has really lifted
    > Microsoft's spirits.

    Evidently you changed the time frame being looked at. Roy posted "for the
    year" meaning Year-to-Date and the 21% decline is consistent with a year to
    date time frame.

    Using the time frame you selected (12 months) will obviously give you a
    different result, and it did. There's lots of creative things you can do
    with stock prices and charts. Creatively select the optimal timeframe and
    any company can be made to look like a hero or a zero.

    My point is that looking at stock price is complete nonsense. I was under
    the impression that this was closer to a technical newsgroup then a
    financial stock trading newsgroup. Unless you guys are buying and selling
    these stocks when who cares and why?

    Do you think that the stock price somehow indicates the quality of a company
    or their products? Because for example during the first two months of 2008
    Google stock fell by 35% and Apple stock fell by almost 40%. Did Google's
    technology get 35% worse during this time? In the last 3 months Apple is up
    50% - did Apple's technology and products get 50% better since then? So
    what's the connection - and if there isn't one then what's the point?

    Unless there's some correlation between a stock price and a company then I
    just don't see the point in discussing it. And if claiming that because MSFT
    is down 21% year to date somehow indicates the demise of MS then why doesn't
    the exact same 21% drop in Google mean the same thing?

    - ss

  9. Re: GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    On May 29, 10:51 am, "Subway steel" wrote:
    > wrote in message

    > > Stock quotes, May 29, 2008 vs 1 year ago (source: Yahoo finance)
    > > First today, next a year ago, then percentage change

    > > MSFT 28.62 30.35 -6%
    > > AAPL 187.86 114.35 +64%
    > > GOOG 582.41 487.11 +23%

    > > Yes, the year in which Vista was introduced has really lifted
    > > Microsoft's spirits.

    > Evidently you changed the time frame being looked at. Roy posted "for the
    > year" meaning Year-to-Date and the 21% decline is consistent with a year to
    > date time frame.

    Yes, everyone agrees that stock prices in the short term don't mean
    much. That's one reason why I took a somewhat longer look. Let's
    look at an even longer time frame, comparing Micrdosoft and its two
    most important competitors (which VA Linux is not, BTW).

    Today and 2 years ago:
    MSFT 28.62 22.51 +27%
    GOOG 582.41 371.94 +57%
    AAPL 187.86 61.22 +207%

    You do invest for the long term, don't you? Would you like to look at
    4 years ago?

  10. Re: [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    Subway steel wrote:

    >My point is that looking at stock price is complete nonsense. I was under
    >the impression that this was closer to a technical newsgroup then a
    >financial stock trading newsgroup. Unless you guys are buying and selling
    >these stocks when who cares and why?

    I agree. I could care less what the gamblers and speculators are
    betting on.

  11. Re: GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    >And BTW, I wouldn't say Microsoft is crumbling, far from it, but they
    >aren't doing too well in any area where they have real competition,

    Fortunately for them, in their core market they have eliminated any
    real competition.

    --
    "What monopoly?" - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] GOOGLE Down 21% for the Year