Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care......... - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care......... - Linux ; On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:14:13 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote (in article ): > On 2008-05-27, John Slade wrote: >> >> "7" wrote in message >> news:43y_j.9559$DZ6.446@text.news.virginmedia.com. .. >>> Micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer Moshe. Goldfarb wrote on behalf of >>> Half ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

  1. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:14:13 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    (in article ):

    > On 2008-05-27, John Slade wrote:
    >>
    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:43y_j.9559$DZ6.446@text.news.virginmedia.com. ..
    >>> Micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer Moshe. Goldfarb wrote on behalf of
    >>> Half
    >>> Wits from Micoshaft Corporation:

    >>> Simply untrue lies printed by micoshaft fraudsters
    >>> on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation marketing department.
    >>>
    >>> There are 3 million embedded Linux gadgets sold PER DAY.
    >>> There are 1 million new Linux desktops installed PER WEEK.
    >>> Thats a lot of people who care.
    >>>
    >>> What about WINDUMMIES?
    >>>
    >>> WINDUMMIES CAN now get the sack for using micoshaft products!
    >>>
    >>> Anyone caught using IE and other strange software to browse
    >>> or log into online services to download viruses, trojans, malware,
    >>> crapware, spyware, botnetware are all sackable.
    >>> It s in many companys' terms and conditions of employment.
    >>>

    >> This is just plain silly. There is a ton of great software for Windows

    > Like what?
    >
    > Tell me why I might want to DUMP my Linux machne so I can run all
    > those "great Windows apps"?
    >
    > [deletia]
    >
    > ...also, one big problem with Windows is the herd mentality there
    > which greatly undermines the idea of exploiting a diverse ecosystem of
    > independently created software.

    You are all living in Microsoft's shadow. People talk all the time about
    Linux innovation and freedom from the constraints of the Microsoft world, but
    this is just wishful thinking.

    Microsoft has been holding-back the entire computer industry for more than a
    decade. We are much further behind in GUI development, and workspace
    development and in productivity development than we should be at this point
    because Microsoft holds the reigns of the entire industry. It designs its
    OSes to follow the old application centric paradigm and as long as Windows
    works that way, the rest of the industry CAN NOT change - that includes the
    Linux world which COULD change the paradigm, but won't because people are
    used to the way MS does things.

  2. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    (in article ):

    > On 2008-05-27, John Slade wrote:
    >>
    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:l5C_j.9705$DZ6.4072@text.news.virginmedia.com ...

    >>> You are out of date!
    >>>
    >>> Google is your friend.
    >>>
    >>> Go count all the press releases over the last few months.
    >>>
    >>> There are also 3 million embedded Linux gadgets sold PER DAY.

    >> You should back up your claim. It would be great if Linux were growing
    >> that fast. Where did you get that data please?

    > It's hard to say. Linux is in a lot of places from phones, to routers,
    > to TV's, to STBs, to mp3 players. It's probably in a lot of places where
    > it's completely invisible.
    >
    > A lot of people use Linux without realizing it.

    Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of irrelevant to
    this discussion.

  3. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On 2008-05-27, George Graves wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >> On 2008-05-27, John Slade wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:l5C_j.9705$DZ6.4072@text.news.virginmedia.com ...

    >>> You should back up your claim. It would be great if Linux were growing
    >>> that fast. Where did you get that data please?

    >> It's hard to say. Linux is in a lot of places from phones, to routers,
    >> to TV's, to STBs, to mp3 players. It's probably in a lot of places where
    >> it's completely invisible.
    >>
    >> A lot of people use Linux without realizing it.

    > Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of irrelevant to
    > this discussion.

    Then you should have said so TO BEGIN WITH.

    Although the way Apple is going these days, being strong as an
    appliance platform might not be as meaningless as you think. Apple
    seems to be turning MacOS into little more than a fancy Tivo.

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

  4. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  5. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    John Slade wrote:
    > "7" wrote in message
    > news:l5C_j.9705$DZ6.4072@text.news.virginmedia.com ...
    >> Tim Murray wrote:

    >>> No way. Source?

    >> You are out of date!
    >>
    >> Google is your friend.
    >>
    >> Go count all the press releases over the last few months.
    >>
    >> There are also 3 million embedded Linux gadgets sold PER DAY.

    > You should back up your claim. It would be great if Linux were growing
    > that fast. Where did you get that data please?

    http://www.geek.com/splashtop-linux-...oard/index.php

    "We first heard about Splashtop back in October, when the instant-on
    Linux desktop was announced. At the time it was a really exciting
    concept–and it still is–but Asus only rolled out the technology on
    high-end motherboards like the P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP. So if you wanted to
    drop $300 on a motherboard you could get Express Gate (Asus-branded
    Splashtop), but everyone else was left out in the cold. Despite lots of
    initial interest, we have not heard a lot about Splashtop since then."

    "DeviceVM, the makers of Splashtop, just made a big announcement though.
    Their technology will no longer be restricted to the top-shelf
    motherboards and will see a much wider release. At first it will be
    featured on Asus’ P5Q (high-efficiency design, Intel P45 chipset) family
    of motherboards, starting with the P5Q Deluxe, P5Q-WS, P5Q3 Deluxe, and
    P5Q-E. Later Splashtop will be featured on all the company’s
    motherboards, over a million units a month."

    "Branded "Express Gate" by ASUS, Splashtop enables users to access the
    Internet seconds after turning on their PC. Splashtop premiered on
    high-end ASUS motherboards in October 2007 and launched on mainstream M3
    series in January 2008. The newest motherboards will be available in the
    second quarter of 2008."

    Gate across our entire motherboard product portfolio, starting with over
    one million motherboards per month," says Joe Hsieh, General Manager,
    ASUS Motherboard Business Unit. "Consumers want to turn their PCs on and
    off like any other appliance, and Express Gate has made that possible."

    http://www.embedded.com/columns/guest/207602734

    "Sony recently announced that one of its BRAVIA LCD TV factories will
    double production from 2 million TV sets per year to 4 million to meet
    growing demand in Europe. Sony has sold more than 20 million of these
    TVs, and they're all built with embedded Linux. "

    "Remember that Gandhi quote? Nobody ignores embedded Linux now. Nobody
    laughs at it. Some companies still fight it by claiming that Linux is
    flawed or isn't worth dealing with, but embedded Linux continues to win."

    "Analyst firms don't agree on how many device engineers use embedded
    Linux, but they all say the number is substantial: 21% of developers use
    embedded Linux, according to last year's Embedded Systems Design survey;
    36.7%, according to current research by Embedded Market Forecasters.
    This April, VDC reported that Linux is now the leading embedded OS. It
    shouldn't be surprising. After all, commercial Linux vendors succeed
    because they understand what design engineers are looking for. "

    http://ciel.sbm.itb.ac.id/index.php?...=125&Itemid=72

    "Linux-related services deliver more than $1 billion in annual revenue
    to both IBM and HP. Oracle strongly promotes and likewise derives
    revenue from the Linux platform, with the so-called "unbreakable Linux"
    guarantee. In an attempt to catch the Linux wave, companies such as
    Computer Associates and Peoplesoft are porting their applications to
    Linux on ambitious timeframes. "

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...-growth_1.html

    "Linux showing signs of solid growth
    IDC study shows workloads running on Linux servers are shifting to
    become more business oriented, including databases and line-of-business
    apps "

    "The IDC paper found that total Linux spending -- including customer
    acquisitions of hardware, software, and related services -- totaled $21
    billion in 2007 and is expected to grow past $50 billion in 2011. "

    http://gigaom.com/2007/11/05/limo-2/

    ABI Research predicts that Mobile Linux will be the fastest growing
    smartphone OS over the next five years and that Linux-based smartphones
    will account for about 31 percent of such devices by 2012. Smartphone
    shipments during this period are expected to total 331 million,
    according to the market research firm. The impetus for such rosy
    forecasts for Mobile Linux comes from the carriers, who are looking to
    standardize on three platforms: Symbian, Windows Mobile and Mobile Linux.

  6. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    John Slade wrote:
> [...]

    become more business oriented, including databases and line-of-business
    apps "

    "The IDC paper found that total Linux spending -- including customer
    acquisitions of hardware, software, and related services -- totaled $21
    billion in 2007 and is expected to grow past $50 billion in 2011. "

    http://gigaom.com/2007/11/05/limo-2/

    ABI Research predicts that Mobile Linux will be the fastest growing
    smartphone OS over the next five years and that Linux-based smartphones
    will account for about 31 percent of such devices by 2012. Smartphone
    shipments during this period are expected to total 331 million,
    according to the market research firm. The impetus for such rosy
    forecasts for Mobile Linux comes from the carriers, who are looking to
    standardize on three platforms: Symbian, Windows Mobile and Mobile Linux.

  7. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    "George Graves" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C461AF87000B9499F01846D8@news.comcast. net...
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >> On 2008-05-27, John Slade wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:l5C_j.9705$DZ6.4072@text.news.virginmedia.com ...

    >>> You should back up your claim. It would be great if Linux were growing
    >>> that fast. Where did you get that data please?

    >> It's hard to say. Linux is in a lot of places from phones, to
    >> routers,
    >> to TV's, to STBs, to mp3 players. It's probably in a lot of places where
    >> it's completely invisible.
    >>
    >> A lot of people use Linux without realizing it.

    > Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of irrelevant
    > this discussion.

    Funny. What do you use for a internet FW/gateway or wireless?

    Darn good chance it runs Linux with BusyBox or a BSD. Linksys/Cisco,
    Netgear, D-Link?

    LOL.

  8. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:16:06 -0700, Canuck57 wrote
    (in article ):

    > "George Graves" wrote in message
    > news:0001HW.C461AF87000B9499F01846D8@news.comcast. net...
    >> On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    >> (in article ):

    >>> It's hard to say. Linux is in a lot of places from phones, to
    >>> routers,
    >>> to TV's, to STBs, to mp3 players. It's probably in a lot of places where
    >>> it's completely invisible.
    >>>
    >>> A lot of people use Linux without realizing it.

    >> Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of irrelevant
    >> this discussion.

    > Funny. What do you use for a internet FW/gateway or wireless?

    > Darn good chance it runs Linux with BusyBox or a BSD. Linksys/Cisco,
    > Netgear, D-Link?

    Who gives a ****? But as far as I know my Apple TV runs on OSX.

  9. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:45:02 -0700, George Graves wrote:

    >> Darn good chance it runs Linux with BusyBox or a BSD. Linksys/Cisco,
    >> Netgear, D-Link?

    > Who gives a ****? But as far as I know my Apple TV runs on OSX.

    Virtually nobody.

    I don't care what OS my car's ECM is running anymore than I care what OS my
    cell phone is using.

    Only Linux dweebs who need to show that someone somewhere wants Linux would
    care about stuff like that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    "George Graves" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C4624D7E00309AE6F01846D8@news.comcast. net
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:16:06 -0700, Canuck57 wrote
    > (in article ):
    >

    >> "George Graves" wrote in message
    >> news:0001HW.C461AF87000B9499F01846D8@news.comcast. net...
    >>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    >>> (in article ):

    >>> Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of
    >>> irrelevant to
    >>> this discussion.

    >> Funny. What do you use for a internet FW/gateway or wireless?

    >> Darn good chance it runs Linux with BusyBox or a BSD. Linksys/Cisco,
    >> Netgear, D-Link?

    > Who gives a ****? But as far as I know my Apple TV runs on OSX.

    It does nothing Linux could not do for free. THINK ABOUT IT.

    --
    http://www.as7apcool.com/

    George Graves wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >> On 2008-05-27, John Slade wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:l5C_j.9705$DZ6.4072@text.news.virginmedia.com ...

    >>> You should back up your claim. It would be great if Linux were growing
    >>> that fast. Where did you get that data please?

    >> It's hard to say. Linux is in a lot of places from phones, to
    >> routers,
    >> to TV's, to STBs, to mp3 players. It's probably in a lot of places where
    >> it's completely invisible.
    >>
    >> A lot of people use Linux without realizing it.

    > Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of irrelevant
    > to this discussion.

    It is YOUR claims thar are irrelevant to this discussion
    while the OP is a complete micoshaft sponsored lying asstroturfer.

    Linux advocacy is about the WHOLE Linux thing.
    That is 3 million embedded Linux gadgets sold PER DAY, the millions of Linux
    servers, most of the world's supercomputers, and 1 million Linux desktop
    installs per week.

    Linux is free to copy, modify the source code and distribute
    to heart's content.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  12. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    7 wrote:

    > George Graves wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    >>(in article ):

    >>> It's hard to say. Linux is in a lot of places from phones, to
    >>> routers,
    >>>to TV's, to STBs, to mp3 players. It's probably in a lot of places where
    >>>it's completely invisible.
    >>>
    >>> A lot of people use Linux without realizing it.

    >>Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of irrelevant
    >>to this discussion.

    > It is YOUR claims thar are irrelevant to this discussion
    > while the OP is a complete micoshaft sponsored lying asstroturfer.
    >
    > Linux advocacy is about the WHOLE Linux thing.
    > That is 3 million embedded Linux gadgets sold PER DAY, the millions of Linux
    > servers, most of the world's supercomputers, and 1 million Linux desktop
    > installs per week.
    >
    > Linux is free to copy, modify the source code and distribute
    > to heart's content.
    >
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > http://www.distrowatch.com

    You're on drugs or drunk or both right?
    Being delusional is part of your life style right?
    Frank

  13. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:16:39 -0700, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote
    (in article <11o0a1m5po30f$.fg0f5dhkr4el$.dlg@40tude.net>):

    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:45:02 -0700, George Graves wrote:
    >

    >>> Darn good chance it runs Linux with BusyBox or a BSD. Linksys/Cisco,
    >>> Netgear, D-Link?

    >> Who gives a ****? But as far as I know my Apple TV runs on OSX.

    > Virtually nobody.
    >
    > I don't care what OS my car's ECM is running anymore than I care what OS my
    > cell phone is using.
    >
    > Only Linux dweebs who need to show that someone somewhere wants Linux would
    > care about stuff like that.

    My point precisely!

  14. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 01:50:24 -0700, Cuphea Ignea wrote
    (in article ):

    > "George Graves" wrote in message
    > news:0001HW.C4624D7E00309AE6F01846D8@news.comcast. net
    >> On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:16:06 -0700, Canuck57 wrote
    >> (in article ):
    >>

    >>> "George Graves" wrote in message
    >>> news:0001HW.C461AF87000B9499F01846D8@news.comcast. net...

    >>> Funny. What do you use for a internet FW/gateway or wireless?

    >>> Darn good chance it runs Linux with BusyBox or a BSD. Linksys/Cisco,
    >>> Netgear, D-Link?

    >> Who gives a ****? But as far as I know my Apple TV runs on OSX.

    > It does nothing Linux could not do for free. THINK ABOUT IT.

    What kind of an idiot are you, anyway? The Apple TV box is a set-top box. The
    OS is installed in ROM by the manufacturer (in this case, Apple), I.E. its
    embedded. You don't get to choose it just like you can't choose the OS
    embedded in your car, your cell phone, or your cable TV box. It's just THERE.
    Jeeze, you're stupid.

  15. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    "George Graves" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C463098E000D949FF01846D8@news.comcast. net...
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 00:16:39 -0700, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote
    > (in article <11o0a1m5po30f$.fg0f5dhkr4el$.dlg@40tude.net>):

    >>> Who gives a ****? But as far as I know my Apple TV runs on OSX.

    >> Virtually nobody.
    >>
    >> I don't care what OS my car's ECM is running anymore than I care what OS
    >> my
    >> cell phone is using.
    >>
    >> Only Linux dweebs who need to show that someone somewhere wants Linux
    >> would
    >> care about stuff like that.

    > My point precisely!

    These all fall into the "appliance" category. What OS a microwave oven,
    remote control or wireless router uses doesn't matter. If people can't see
    or interact directly with the OS then who cares.

    The only OS most people ever use directly is what's runnin on their
    computer. That's the OS that people see and that's the OS that people care
    about. When they surf the web and some linux computer they can't even see is
    placing advertisements on some web-page - this doesn't mean that person is
    "using linux."

  16. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:32:55 -0700, 7 wrote
    (in article ):

    > George Graves wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    >> (in article ):

    >>> It's hard to say. Linux is in a lot of places from phones, to
    >>> routers,
    >>> to TV's, to STBs, to mp3 players. It's probably in a lot of places where
    >>> it's completely invisible.
    >>>
    >>> A lot of people use Linux without realizing it.

    >> Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of irrelevant
    >> to this discussion.

    > It is YOUR claims thar are irrelevant to this discussion
    > while the OP is a complete micoshaft sponsored lying asstroturfer.

    They are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. The end user doesn't care what's
    powering his PDA, Cellphone, digital camera, automobile or set-top cable TV
    box. He just cares what features it has and that it works. There's no
    advocacy involved and if you guys are using embedded systems to bolster your
    numbers, then you're being dishonest as far as I see it. Embedded systems are
    NOT a consumer choice and never will be.

  17. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On 2008-05-28, George Graves wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 01:50:24 -0700, Cuphea Ignea wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >> "George Graves" wrote in message
    >> news:0001HW.C4624D7E00309AE6F01846D8@news.comcast. net
    >>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 17:16:06 -0700, Canuck57 wrote
    >>> (in article ):

    [deletia]
    >>> Who gives a ****? But as far as I know my Apple TV runs on OSX.

    >> It does nothing Linux could not do for free. THINK ABOUT IT.
    >>

    > What kind of an idiot are you, anyway? The Apple TV box is a set-top box. The
    > OS is installed in ROM by the manufacturer (in this case, Apple), I.E. its
    > embedded. You don't get to choose it just like you can't choose the OS

    ....this isn't strictly true.

    The Apple TV is a stripped down Mac. A Tivo is a genuine embedded system.

    > embedded in your car, your cell phone, or your cable TV box. It's just THERE.
    > Jeeze, you're stupid.

    Nope, you're just clueless.

    There are plenty of "embedded" devices that you can replace the firmware on.
    This can be a pretty handy trick and allow you to really improve upon what
    the original vendor bundled.

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  18. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On 2008-05-28, George Graves wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:32:55 -0700, 7 wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >> George Graves wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    >>> (in article ):

    >>> Embedded and server use is not desktops and therefore sort of irrelevant
    >>> to this discussion.

    >> It is YOUR claims thar are irrelevant to this discussion
    >> while the OP is a complete micoshaft sponsored lying asstroturfer.

    > They are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. The end user doesn't care what's
    > powering his PDA, Cellphone, digital camera, automobile or set-top cable TV

    They should be. Like anything else, those choices will determine whether
    or not the product is useful or just an annoying pile of crap.

    Whether or not your Cable Set Top box is a Linux powered Tivo or not
    is VERY relevant. Someone else here also likes to whine how important
    the iPhone is because of this.

    > box. He just cares what features it has and that it works. There's no
    > advocacy involved and if you guys are using embedded systems to bolster your
    > numbers, then you're being dishonest as far as I see it. Embedded systems are
    > NOT a consumer choice and never will be.

    Why should we restrict advocacy to mere "consumers"?

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \
    the social value of copyright to begin with.

  19. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On May 28, 1:46*pm, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-05-28, George Graves wrote:
    >

    > > On Wed, 28 May 2008 01:50:24 -0700, Cuphea Ignea wrote
    > > (in article ):

    > >> "George Graves" wrote in message
    > >>news:0001HW.C4624D7E00309AE6F01846D8@news.comcast. net

    > [deletia]

    > >> It does nothing Linux could not do for free. *THINK ABOUT IT.

    > > What kind of an idiot are you, anyway? The Apple TV box is a set-top box.. The
    > > OS is installed in ROM by the manufacturer (in this case, Apple), I.E. its
    > > embedded. You don't get to choose it just like you can't choose the OS

    > ...this isn't strictly true.
    >
    > The Apple TV is a stripped down Mac. A Tivo is a genuine embedded system.
    >
    > > embedded in your car, your cell phone, or your cable TV box. It's just THERE.
    > > Jeeze, you're stupid.

    > Nope, you're just clueless.
    >
    > There are plenty of "embedded" devices that you can replace the firmware on.
    > This can be a pretty handy trick and allow you to really improve upon what
    > the original vendor bundled.

    OK - Name 3 of them.

    > --
    >
    > * * * * The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals * * * * * |||
    > for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs * * * * * / | \
    > the social value of copyright to begin with.

  20. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On 2008-05-28, Bill Yanaire wrote:
    > On May 28, 1:46*pm, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-28, George Graves wrote:
    >>

    >> > On Wed, 28 May 2008 01:50:24 -0700, Cuphea Ignea wrote
    >> > (in article ):

    >> [deletia]

    >> > What kind of an idiot are you, anyway? The Apple TV box is a set-top box. The
    >> > OS is installed in ROM by the manufacturer (in this case, Apple), I.E. its
    >> > embedded. You don't get to choose it just like you can't choose the OS

    >> ...this isn't strictly true.
    >>
    >> The Apple TV is a stripped down Mac. A Tivo is a genuine embedded system.
    >>
    >> > embedded in your car, your cell phone, or your cable TV box. It's just THERE.
    >> > Jeeze, you're stupid.

    >> Nope, you're just clueless.
    >>
    >> There are plenty of "embedded" devices that you can replace the firmware on.
    >> This can be a pretty handy trick and allow you to really improve upon what
    >> the original vendor bundled.
    >>

    > OK - Name 3 of them.

    iPhone, iPod, Linksys WRT Router.

    Those are just off the top of my head. There are other mp3 players
    that have alternate firmware software, STBs that are hacked to allow for
    full firewire access. Tivos and AppleTV fit into this category as well.

    [deletia]