Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims) - Linux

This is a discussion on Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims) - Linux ; "Update has destroyed KDE -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello! I just updated to backlogs for kubuntu, which seems to have been a bad move as I no longer can use KDE4... I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded to 4.0.4 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    "Update has destroyed KDE

    Hello!

    I just updated to backlogs for kubuntu, which seems to have been a bad move
    as I no longer can use KDE4...

    I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded to 4.0.4 kdm no longer
    has a background image, it's just gray. Also when I login to KDE4 it just
    shows a "starting command" cursor and does nothing at all. It does however
    manage after like 2 minutes to launch yakuake (which is a KDE3 app). If I
    try to open Konqueror or Kopete I can do so, but theres no titlebar, that is
    theres no kwin and the About box still says its KDE 4.0.3.

    If I try to start kwin4 manually the command isnt found, even though
    kdewin-kde4 is installed.
    I've tried "apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop" but it's already
    installed.
    I've checked in adept and my packages are version 4.0.4..
    Im currently on KDE 3.5 and it's working fine.
    However, I'd like to get back to KDE4 as Ive gotten used to it =/"

    Mark S. Bilk: "The vast majority of Linux users _never_ experience such
    problems."

  2. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:10:12 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Update has destroyed KDE

    > Hello!
    >
    > I just updated to backlogs for kubuntu, which seems to have been a bad move
    > as I no longer can use KDE4...
    >
    > I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded to 4.0.4 kdm no longer
    > has a background image, it's just gray. Also when I login to KDE4 it just
    > shows a "starting command" cursor and does nothing at all. It does however
    > manage after like 2 minutes to launch yakuake (which is a KDE3 app). If I
    > try to open Konqueror or Kopete I can do so, but theres no titlebar, that is
    > theres no kwin and the About box still says its KDE 4.0.3.
    >
    > If I try to start kwin4 manually the command isnt found, even though
    > kdewin-kde4 is installed.
    > I've tried "apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop" but it's already
    > installed.
    > I've checked in adept and my packages are version 4.0.4..
    > Im currently on KDE 3.5 and it's working fine.
    > However, I'd like to get back to KDE4 as Ive gotten used to it =/"

    > Mark S. Bilk: "The vast majority of Linux users _never_ experience such
    > problems."

    But when I posted a message regarding how an upgrade rendered PCLinuxOS not
    bootable and not useable, the Linux loons claimed it was fake even though I
    posted the update logs with my message.

    They, the Linux loons in COLA will LIE for LIEnix at every opportunity.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:10:12 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Update has destroyed KDE

    > Hello!
    >
    > I just updated to backlogs for kubuntu, which seems to have been a bad
    > move as I no longer can use KDE4...
    >
    > I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded to 4.0.4 kdm no
    > longer has a background image, it's just gray. Also when I login to KDE4
    > it just shows a "starting command" cursor and does nothing at all. It
    > does however manage after like 2 minutes to launch yakuake (which is a
    > KDE3 app). If I try to open Konqueror or Kopete I can do so, but theres
    > no titlebar, that is theres no kwin and the About box still says its KDE
    > 4.0.3.
    >
    > If I try to start kwin4 manually the command isnt found, even though
    > kdewin-kde4 is installed.
    > I've tried "apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop" but it's already
    > installed.
    > I've checked in adept and my packages are version 4.0.4.. Im currently
    > on KDE 3.5 and it's working fine. However, I'd like to get back to KDE4
    > as Ive gotten used to it =/"

    > Mark S. Bilk: "The vast majority of Linux users _never_ experience such
    > problems."

    Is it you position that Windows updates have never hosed systems?

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Why does Moshe use Linux?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:20:10 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:10:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Update has destroyed KDE

    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I just updated to backlogs for kubuntu, which seems to have been a bad
    >> move as I no longer can use KDE4...
    >>
    >> I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded to 4.0.4 kdm no
    >> longer has a background image, it's just gray. Also when I login to
    >> KDE4 it just shows a "starting command" cursor and does nothing at all.
    >> It does however manage after like 2 minutes to launch yakuake (which is
    >> a KDE3 app). If I try to open Konqueror or Kopete I can do so, but
    >> theres no titlebar, that is theres no kwin and the About box still says
    >> its KDE 4.0.3.
    >>
    >> If I try to start kwin4 manually the command isnt found, even though
    >> kdewin-kde4 is installed.
    >> I've tried "apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop" but it's already
    >> installed.
    >> I've checked in adept and my packages are version 4.0.4.. Im currently
    >> on KDE 3.5 and it's working fine. However, I'd like to get back to KDE4
    >> as Ive gotten used to it =/"

    >> Mark S. Bilk: "The vast majority of Linux users _never_ experience such
    >> problems."

    > But when I posted a message regarding how an upgrade rendered PCLinuxOS
    > not bootable and not useable, the Linux loons claimed it was fake even
    > though I posted the update logs with my message.

    You lie so often, why should anyone take your word for anything? I have
    not heard of a PCLOS update rendering a system unbootable.

    And AGAIN, if Linux is so bad why do you continue to use it?

    > They, the Linux loons in COLA will LIE for LIEnix at every opportunity.

    More hate and bigotry from you.
    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Why does Moshe use Linux?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:53:32 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:20:10 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:10:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Update has destroyed KDE

    >>> Hello!
    >>>
    >>> I just updated to backlogs for kubuntu, which seems to have been a bad
    >>> move as I no longer can use KDE4...
    >>>
    >>> I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded to 4.0.4 kdm no
    >>> longer has a background image, it's just gray. Also when I login to
    >>> KDE4 it just shows a "starting command" cursor and does nothing at all.
    >>> It does however manage after like 2 minutes to launch yakuake (which is
    >>> a KDE3 app). If I try to open Konqueror or Kopete I can do so, but
    >>> theres no titlebar, that is theres no kwin and the About box still says
    >>> its KDE 4.0.3.
    >>>
    >>> If I try to start kwin4 manually the command isnt found, even though
    >>> kdewin-kde4 is installed.
    >>> I've tried "apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop" but it's already
    >>> installed.
    >>> I've checked in adept and my packages are version 4.0.4.. Im currently
    >>> on KDE 3.5 and it's working fine. However, I'd like to get back to KDE4
    >>> as Ive gotten used to it =/"
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=788023
    >>>

    >>> Mark S. Bilk: "The vast majority of Linux users _never_ experience such
    >>> problems."

    >> But when I posted a message regarding how an upgrade rendered PCLinuxOS
    >> not bootable and not useable, the Linux loons claimed it was fake even
    >> though I posted the update logs with my message.

    > You lie so often, why should anyone take your word for anything? I have
    > not heard of a PCLOS update rendering a system unbootable.

    I have it on another machine, PCLOS updates without any problem. As for
    Flatfish, the troll may well have had an upgrade rendering PCLinuxOS
    unbootable & unuseable, & even though it posted the update logs, who's to
    say the troll didn't *screw* the update on *purpose* in order to post his
    message?

    As you say, how can anyone trust a lying troll.

    > And AGAIN, if Linux is so bad why do you continue to use it?
    >

    >> They, the Linux loons in COLA will LIE for LIEnix at every opportunity.

    > More hate and bigotry from you.

    A rabid dog would be put down.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  6. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:51:00 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:10:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Update has destroyed KDE

    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I just updated to backlogs for kubuntu, which seems to have been a bad
    >> move as I no longer can use KDE4...
    >>
    >> I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded to 4.0.4 kdm no
    >> longer has a background image, it's just gray. Also when I login to KDE4
    >> it just shows a "starting command" cursor and does nothing at all. It
    >> does however manage after like 2 minutes to launch yakuake (which is a
    >> KDE3 app). If I try to open Konqueror or Kopete I can do so, but theres
    >> no titlebar, that is theres no kwin and the About box still says its KDE
    >> 4.0.3.
    >>
    >> If I try to start kwin4 manually the command isnt found, even though
    >> kdewin-kde4 is installed.
    >> I've tried "apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop" but it's already
    >> installed.
    >> I've checked in adept and my packages are version 4.0.4.. Im currently
    >> on KDE 3.5 and it's working fine. However, I'd like to get back to KDE4
    >> as Ive gotten used to it =/"

    >> Mark S. Bilk: "The vast majority of Linux users _never_ experience such
    >> problems."

    KDE 4 is still "work in progress", you use it at your own risk. Most
    distros won't include it as a *main* desktop until KDE 4.1 is released.
    ATM the first preview for KDE 4.1 (alpha) was released on 29th April 2008,
    "the upcoming version of the cutting-edge Free Desktop".

    Note the bit about the "upcoming version", which is why the default KDE
    desktop is 3.5.9.
    As usual, DooFu$ doesn't research enough before posting. Still wtf do you
    expect from a winzealot & troll.

    > Is it you position that Windows updates have never hosed systems?

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  7. Re: Why does Moshe use Linux?

    William Poaster wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> But when I posted a message regarding how an upgrade
    >>> rendered PCLinuxOS not bootable and not useable, the Linux
    >>> loons claimed it was fake even though I posted the update
    >>> logs with my message.

    >> You lie so often, why should anyone take your word for
    >> anything? I have not heard of a PCLOS update rendering a
    >> system unbootable.

    > I have it on another machine, PCLOS updates without any
    > problem. As for Flatfish, the troll may well have had an
    > upgrade rendering PCLinuxOS unbootable & unuseable, & even
    > though it posted the update logs, who's to say the troll
    > didn't *screw* the update on *purpose* in order to post his
    > message?
    >
    > As you say, how can anyone trust a lying troll.

    Actually, much is a product of a vivid and incorrect imagination.
    Those who use Linux see quite the contrary. Moshe AKA
    PhlatPhish is capable of considerable unproductive lying. (I say
    unproductive, because anyone following a thread will see it for
    what it is worth, ignore his vain, illogical and worthless
    statements.)

    >> And AGAIN, if Linux is so bad why do you continue to use it?
    >>
    >>> They, the Linux loons in COLA will LIE for LIEnix at every
    >>> opportunity.

    >> More hate and bigotry from you.

    > A rabid dog would be put down.

    As one can see, another example of stupid statements by Moshe
    (reference my above statements.)

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  8. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    William Poaster wrote:

    > KDE 4 is still "work in progress", you use it at your own risk.

    Like most OSS crapware.

    > Most distros won't include it as a *main* desktop
    > until KDE 4.1 is released.

    So?

    Can't blame them, though. KDE 4.0 was another OSS disaster.

    > ATM the first preview for KDE 4.1 (alpha) was released on
    > 29th April 2008, "the upcoming version of the cutting-edge Free
    > Desktop".

    What does 4.1 have to do with anything.

    > Note the bit about the "upcoming version", which is why the default
    > KDE desktop is 3.5.9.

    What do distro vendors choices have to do with anything?

    > As usual, DooFu$ doesn't research enough before posting. Still wtf do
    > you expect from a winzealot & troll.

    Your lie phails, Dumb Willie. KDE 4.0.4, the update that crashed the
    victim's system, is the latest stable version

    http://www.kde.org/download/

    Victim of crapware: "I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded
    to 4.0.4 kdm no longer has a background image."

  9. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: Why does Moshe use Linux?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 09:04:03 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > As one can see, another example of stupid statements by Moshe
    > (reference my above statements.)

    Do me a favor HPT, kill file me.
    It gives me the *willys* having a person of your sexual persuasion
    following me around.
    I don't want to end up on your next Haskerwerx poster.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Why does Moshe use Linux?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  12. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:47:28 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> KDE 4 is still "work in progress", you use it at your own risk.

    > Like most OSS crapware.

    It's the built in excuse that all Linux loons use at one time or another.
    No wonder they can't sell the crap.
    Hell, Linux can barely be given away for free.

    >> Most distros won't include it as a *main* desktop
    >> until KDE 4.1 is released.

    > So?
    >
    > Can't blame them, though. KDE 4.0 was another OSS disaster.

    And KDE 4.1 will fix most of the bugs in KDE 4.0 but will introduce new
    bugs and the cycle will continue.

    That's what happens when part time programmers are working on the Linux
    basement ware.

    >> ATM the first preview for KDE 4.1 (alpha) was released on
    >> 29th April 2008, "the upcoming version of the cutting-edge Free
    >> Desktop".

    > What does 4.1 have to do with anything.

    It's the Linux loons method for trying to get you to forget the nightmare
    that is KDE 4.0.

    >> Note the bit about the "upcoming version", which is why the default
    >> KDE desktop is 3.5.9.

    > What do distro vendors choices have to do with anything?

    Nothing.

    >> As usual, DooFu$ doesn't research enough before posting. Still wtf do
    >> you expect from a winzealot & troll.

    > Your lie phails, Dumb Willie. KDE 4.0.4, the update that crashed the
    > victim's system, is the latest stable version
    >
    > http://www.kde.org/download/

    Facts seem to bother Willy.

    > Victim of crapware: "I had 4.0.3 before working fine, but after I upgraded
    > to 4.0.4 kdm no longer has a background image."

    He's lucky Linux even boots.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  14. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:47:28 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> KDE 4 is still "work in progress", you use it at your own risk.

    > Like most OSS crapware.

    You know what... just screw you you dishonest pile of puke.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Why does Moshe use Linux?

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> William Poaster wrote:

    >>> A rabid dog would be put down.

    >> As one can see, another example of stupid statements by
    >> Moshe (reference my above statements.)

    > Do me a favor HPT, kill file me. It gives me the *willys*
    > having a person of your sexual persuasion following me around.
    > I don't want to end up on your next Haskerwerx poster.

    This troll conotates anyone posting positive Linux material with
    an effeminate sexual reference.

    Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll

    If anyone does anything which will interfere with the
    troll's ability to cause mayhem, they can become very
    nasty, posting from obviously incorrect variations of the
    name etc. insults, call them netcops, netnannies,
    homosexuals.
    Also he has a sense of illiteracy. I am not Linux advocate
    Marti, as implied by the "poster". This is an example of:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    11. Never apologize for your misbehavior. Never ever apologize
    no matter how out of line you have been behaving. If you should
    ever find it to your advantage to apologize, phrase it as a slap
    in the face of the person who you have already wronged.
    --
    HPT

  16. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:47:28 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> KDE 4 is still "work in progress", you use it at your own risk.

    >> Like most OSS crapware.

    > You know what... just screw you you dishonest pile of puke.

    Great comeback, (p)Rick.

    I'm sure it gets tedious for you to defend the amateurish code that slimes
    onto your computer when you install a Linux distro, but you shouldn't give
    up so easily.

  17. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:16:08 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:47:28 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> KDE 4 is still "work in progress", you use it at your own risk.

    >> Like most OSS crapware.

    > You know what... just screw you you dishonest pile of puke.

    So according to DooFu$ "logic" Vista is also crapware, as Ballmer said
    that it was work-in-progress. Mind you, some of us already knew it was
    sh#te.

    http://downloads.pcworld.about.com/b..._progress.html

    http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...es-yahoo.phtml

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  18. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:29:13 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Like most OSS crapware.

    >> You know what... just screw you you dishonest pile of puke.

    > Great comeback, (p)Rick.
    >
    > I'm sure it gets tedious for you to defend the amateurish code that slimes
    > onto your computer when you install a Linux distro, but you shouldn't give
    > up so easily.

    I doubt it.

    For people like Rick, fixing all the problems that the typical Linux
    distribution is riddled with is half the fun!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:47:28 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> KDE 4 is still "work in progress", you use it at your own risk.

    >> Like most OSS crapware.

    > You know what... just screw you you dishonest pile of puke.

    If you really mean that, Rick, plonk the dishonest pile of puke.

    Use the plonk, Rick. Use the plonk!

    --
    We will never make a 32-bit operating system.
    -- Bill Gates, At the launch of MSX[3]

  20. Re: Update destroys KDE4 desktop (multiple victims)

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Like most OSS crapware.

    >> You know what... just screw you you dishonest pile of puke.

    > If you really mean that, Rick, plonk the dishonest pile of puke.
    >
    > Use the plonk, Rick. Use the plonk!

    Yeah, you listen to him, (p)Rick. plonking us will make all the silly cola
    claims magically come true. Plus you get to talk to yourselves and listen
    to the lies uncontested.

    Oh, you want to know which lies I'm talking about?

    Roy Schestowitz: "90% of IT professionals reject Vista"

    7: "Linux selling 1 million+ desktops per month and increasing."

    7: "Linux shipping 3 million embedded devices PER DAY and increasing."

    Linuxiac: "Linux is 50x faster than Windows"

    [H]omer: "Half of Europe has just dumped Windows.

    Rex Ballard: "Linux has the potential to double the world's global output
    every 2 years for 10 years."

    Richard Rasker: "Vista does indeed require between 10 and 20 times the
    amount of system resources Linux needs for equal performance."

    Greg Shearman: "Linux is as good as possible."

    Linonut: "This is where monopoly status saves, at least for awhile,
    Microsoft."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast