A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem. - Linux

This is a discussion on A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem. - Linux ; "Gnome crashes when I click the Shutdown button -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's that simple. In 8.04 I click the Shutdown button at the top, Gnome crashes. I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and I get the Login Screen. Then from there I can shutdown. This ...

  1. A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem.

    "Gnome crashes when I click the Shutdown button

    It's that simple. In 8.04 I click the Shutdown button at the top, Gnome
    crashes. I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and I get the Login Screen. Then from
    there I can shutdown. This started last night because I could click on the
    Shutdown button and Lock the screen earlier."

  2. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem.

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:Uwr_j.21162$255.20375@bignews8.bellsouth.net. ..
    > "Gnome crashes when I click the Shutdown button

    > It's that simple. In 8.04 I click the Shutdown button at the top, Gnome
    > crashes. I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and I get the Login Screen. Then from
    > there I can shutdown. This started last night because I could click on
    > the Shutdown button and Lock the screen earlier."

    At one point Ubuntu looked like it could be the distro that was going to
    salvage desktop linux. But the past 2 releases of Ubuntu have been worse
    and worse. So bad in fact that Ubuntu servers themselves aren't being
    "upgraded" because of hardware compatibility issues - hardware that was
    supported in previous versions is no longer supported with the latest
    version.

    It seems that the major focus of Ubuntu is now to have wobbling windows and
    3D rotating cubes with fish swimming inside the cube. Real features like
    stability and hardware support no longer matter.

  3. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:05:08 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Gnome crashes when I click the Shutdown button

    (snip)

    Gnome doesn't crash when I click the Shutdown button.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:57:33 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:05:08 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Gnome crashes when I click the Shutdown button
    >>

    > (snip)
    >

    > Gnome doesn't crash when I click the Shutdown button.

    Yes it does.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  6. Re: A new day? Must mean no Linux problems.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:42:18 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:57:33 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:05:08 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Gnome crashes when I click the Shutdown button
    >>>

    >> (snip)
    >>

    >> Gnome doesn't crash when I click the Shutdown button.

    > Yes it does.

    Nope

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: A new day? Must mean no Linux problems.

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:42:18 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Gnome doesn't crash when I click the Shutdown button.

    >> Yes it does.

    > Nope

    Only troll-swine would make a fuss about an app crashing at shutdown.

    --
    Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and
    motivating them, the teacher is the most important.

  8. Re: A new day? Must mean no Linux problems.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:57:30 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Yes it does.

    >> Nope

    > Only troll-swine would make a fuss about an app crashing at shutdown.

    Maybe M$ patented it as a "feature". ;-)

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  9. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopwae problem.

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Yes it does.

    >> Nope

    > Only troll-swine would make a fuss about an app crashing at shutdown.

    Tell it to the "troll-swine" victim of the latest and greatest Ubuntu who
    reported it in the first place

    And since when did Gnome become an app, lapdog?

  10. Re: A new day? Must mean no Linux problems.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:57:30 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Yes it does.

    >> Nope

    > Only troll-swine would make a fuss about an app crashing at shutdown.

    Only a Linux *advocate* would put up with crapware like that.
    I guess the gnome people are too busy working on the next great version to
    fix a serious bug like the entire gui crashing on shutdown.

    Typical Linux slopware.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopwae problem.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:25:14 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Nope

    >> Only troll-swine would make a fuss about an app crashing at shutdown.

    > Tell it to the "troll-swine" victim of the latest and greatest Ubuntu who
    > reported it in the first place
    >

    > And since when did Gnome become an app, lapdog?

    Linonut is dancing up a storm today!!
    The only problem is that he is trying to do the "electric slide" without a
    fresh set of batteries and he keeps crashing.

    Kind of like Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopwae problem.

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Linonut is dancing up a storm today!!
    > The only problem is that he is trying to do the "electric slide"
    > without a fresh set of batteries and he keeps crashing.
    >
    > Kind of like Linux.

    ;-)

  13. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopwae problem.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:45:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Linonut is dancing up a storm today!!
    >> The only problem is that he is trying to do the "electric slide"
    >> without a fresh set of batteries and he keeps crashing.
    >>
    >> Kind of like Linux.

    > ;-)

    Sometimes I amaze myself!
    Truly a legend in my own mind

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: A new day? Must mean no Linux problems.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  15. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopwae problem.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  16. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopwae problem.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  17. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem.

    On 2008-05-26, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:57:33 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 01:05:08 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Gnome crashes when I click the Shutdown button
    >>>

    >> (snip)
    >>

    >> Gnome doesn't crash when I click the Shutdown button.

    > Yes it does.

    ....the hypocrisy in action.

    Well, you tried to claim (elsewhere) that only Linux
    Advocates try to lie about the obvious. Here's a great
    example of doing exactly the sort of thing you were
    complaining about.

    Since Ubuntu 6.06 (which is pretty much how long I've
    been using Gnome as a desktop) I have never had such
    a problem. This includes multiple machines and multiple
    versions of Ubuntu from 6.06 to 7.10.

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

  18. Re: A new day? Must mean a new Linux slopware problem.

    On May 27, 12:00 pm, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-05-26, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > >> (snip)

    > >> Gnome doesn't crash when I click the Shutdown button.

    > > Yes it does.

    > ...the hypocrisy in action.
    >
    > Well, you tried to claim (elsewhere) that only Linux
    > Advocates try to lie about the obvious. Here's a great
    > example of doing exactly the sort of thing you were
    > complaining about.
    >
    > Since Ubuntu 6.06 (which is pretty much how long I've
    > been using Gnome as a desktop) I have never had such
    > a problem. This includes multiple machines and multiple
    > versions of Ubuntu from 6.06 to 7.10.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    > reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \
    > both at the same time was something worth patenting.

    I've been using a mixture of Ubuntu 6.06 and 7.10 on several machines
    for a year or more, and never had a crash of Gnome (I use Gnome).

+ Reply to Thread