[News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist - Linux

  1. [News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist

    Good bye, British Library

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is an image from the good old days. Microsoft's Jean Paoli hands over
    | the OOXML specification to Jan van den Beld, the general secretary of ECMA.
    | And you find Adam Farquhar from the British Library, the bearded person on
    | the right. The British Library was instrumental to legitimizing the whole
    | ECMA and ISO OOXML standardisation process as an 'independent' participant in
    | the committee work. ECMA did a brilliant job to mature the specification text
    | to get it ISO fast-tracked. Or as the ISO BRM convenor and recent consultant
    | for the British Library Alex Brown reflects1:
    |
    | Ecma made the road very rocky though, by initially producing a text that
    | was so lousy with faults.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61777...ritish-library

    More details below. The British Library might be the New Newham.

    The analysis moves on to discussing the fact that Microsoft tossed the
    book-scanning project some days ago, showing how 'dedicated' Microsoft is to
    preservation. OOXML will probably come under more fire this week:

    South Africa appeals ISO vote on OOXML format

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | South Africa is the first country to have made public its appeal. Other
    | national standards bodies that took part have until May 29 to appeal the
    | decision.
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2574520071C5D5

    Related:

    Ecma - a case study for vendor capture

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/ecma-and-vendor-capture

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And the company Griffin Brown, of which the BRM convenor Alex Brown is the
    | director, sent out a press release 13 March 08 celebrating the 10th
    | anniversary of XML: Â*
    |
    | "Recent moves by Microsoft to standardise its Office products around XML file
    | formats merely confirms that most valuable business data in the future will
    | be stored in XML. … Alex Brown is convenor of the ISO/IEC DIS 29500 Ballot
    | Resolution Process, and has recently been elected to the panel to advise the
    | British Library on how to handle digital submission of journal articles." Â* Â*
    |
    | [PJ: A bit of background on the British Library here, but the short version
    | is that it uses Microsoft, was a co-sponsor of having Ecma put what is now
    | OOXML on the fast track, and says today it is "pleased".] - No OOXML Â*
    `----

    http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

    British Library books go digital

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Digitised publications will be accessible in two ways -initially through
    | Microsoft's Live Search Books and then via the Library's website.
    `----

    Britain: E-Mail Time Capsule in Works

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now the British Library is appealing to ordinary Britons for their
    | e-mails, saying it wants to create a snapshot of British life in 2007.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The e-mails will be collated and indexed by Microsoft Corp., which
    | has previously partnered with the library to digitize books from
    | its archive, and they will be available to researchers before
    | the year's end.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070503/brita...hive.html?.v=1

    Vista and British Library put da Vinci online

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft and the British Library have digitised two of Leonardo da
    | Vincis' notebooks.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The British Library has created an updated version of its application
    | called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of
    | its 150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how
    | this works better using Vista.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/

    Publish And Perish

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
    | Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
    | "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
    | look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
    | If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
    | case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
    | Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.
    |
    | "The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should
    | become obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade,"
    | Rose says. We could be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the
    | way businesses and their customers think about digital preservation.
    | "Things will start to change when people start losing all of their personal
    | photos," Rose said.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/boo...rtner=yahootix
    http://tinyurl.com/yyjqoh

    British Library calls for digital copyright action

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a manifesto released on Monday at the Labor Party Conference
    | in Manchester, the United Kingdom's national library warned that the
    | country's traditional copyright law needs to be extended to fully
    | recognize digital content.
    |
    | "Unless there is a serious updating of copyright law to recognize
    | the changing technological environment, the law becomes an ass,"
    | Lynne Brindley, chief executive of the British Library, told ZDNet
    | UK.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6119043.html

    BBC Corrupted

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft. With
    | today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most basic of
    | duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line distribution
    | of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a Microsoft operating
    | system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin to saying you must
    | own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept the Digital Â*
    | Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You simply cannot be
    | allowed to be in control of your computer according to the BBC. Â* Â* Â*
    `----

    http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted

    Microsoft’s 4th of July Trans-Atlantic assault on document standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With OOXML and XPS, Microsoft has chosen to not work with existing standards,
    | but to create new ones, as they have in their recent announcement on Web3S
    | instead of working with the rest of the industry on the Atom Publishing
    | Protocol. In the case of OOXML, this is a logical move on Microsoft’s part,
    | since it is an evolution of Microsoft’s XML strategy started with the
    | Microsoft Office 2003 version and ODF will be a technology diversion from
    | that strategy. With Microsoft controlling 90% of the office productivity
    | tools market and OOXML being the default file format for Microsoft Office
    | 2007, OOXML is likely to be widely-used. Â* Â* Â* Â*
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Newton/?p=16

    Microsoft criticized for Open XML petition

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The petition is an attempt to make it appear that Open XML
    | has "pseudo-grassroots" support, argues Mark Taylor, the
    | founder of the Open Source Consortium.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6173625.html

    Microsoft calls on UK public to raise the Office standard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is calling on the Great British public to join its campaign
    | to get the XML Office format adopted as an international standard.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | It is not clear if the UK is an opponent. However, a representative
    | of fellow member the Bureau of Indian Standards recently reportedly
    | complained to the IndiaTime.com over Microsoft's decision to dump
    | 6,000 pages of documentation on them.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04...ards_petition/

  2. Re: [News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist Anti-Microsoft Paranoia. Off topic (was: [News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:32:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Good bye, British Library

    Not Linux advocacy.
    Microsoft paranoia/hate/SPAM

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist Anti-Microsoft Paranoia. Off topic (was: [News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: [News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist Anti-Microsoft Paranoia. Off topic

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  5. Re: [News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist Anti-Microsoft Paranoia. Off topic

    * Ian Hilliard peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> Microsoft hate.

    > Taking your logic, any attempt to avoid false imprisonment could be
    > construed as terrorism.

    Besides, one cannot /hate/ a cancer. One fears it, and hopes to excise
    it, to stamp it out.

    --
    "Microsoft is a CANCER!"
    -- Linonut

  6. Re: [News] Analysis of British Library as 'Agent' of the Convicted Monopolist Anti-Microsoft Paranoia. Off topic