[News] Cuba Approaches the Windows to GNU/Linux Phase - Linux

  1. [News] Cuba Approaches the Windows to GNU/Linux Phase

    Kicking Cuba's Free Software Switch Into a Higher Gear

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In fact, the changeover strategy is made up of several stages, from
    | installing specific programs such as the browser Mozilla Firefox to replace
    | the widely used Internet Explorer, which began Jan. 5, to training operators
    | to use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office, until patented software is
    | finally dropped.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The purpose of the move is to "attain sovereignty and technological
    | autonomy," as recommended by the Ibero-American Charter on Electronic
    | Government, approved by the Ninth Ibero-American Conference of Ministers for
    | Public Administration and State Reform, held in Chile in June 2007.
    `----

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Ki...ear-63101.html

    Starting with applications. That's the way they very successfully migrated to
    Linux in ELCOT.

    Recent:

    University of Havana Finally Switches to Free Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And, Yudivián Almeida, professor of computer at the University of Havana,
    | this change means that “[w]hen free software has been installed on all of the
    | university’s computers, it will make no sense to teach using anything else.”
    | So, one more Latin American institution has made the conversion away from
    | closed, proprietary software and towards open knowledge. * *
    `----

    http://news.northxsouth.com/

    Cuba Lifts Ban on Home Computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I'm a Cuban. This happened more than a month ago. And we are very happy that
    | someone finally came to his senses about it.
    |
    | What's new, though, is that [startin soon], they are going to be sold without
    | operating systems... No more windows pre-installed. Or so I've heard. Now we
    | only need tons of Ubuntu disks to give away at the sotre. *
    `----

    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/03/1236214

    Cuba Votes No to OOXML - Says It Did So in September, Too - Updated

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More OOXML news. The Cuban National Bureau of Standards has reportedly sent
    | an email to the three names NBs are supposed to notify at ISO, Toshiko
    | Kimura, Keith Brannon, and Martine Gaillen, reporting that Cuba votes to
    | disapprove OOXML. *
    |
    | But the startling news is that the email claims that Cuba voted no in
    | September but that its vote was miscounted. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If you recall, the public announcement by ISO in September said that Cuba had
    | voted to approve, which led to puzzlement. Not so, says the email, which was
    | sent on Friday evening and broadly cc'd, including to all the NBs, perhaps to
    | ensure there was no confusion this time. Cuba was deeply injured by the false
    | report, the email says. Cuba voted no with comments in September. It never
    | approved OOXML. * *
    `----

    Related:

    The Gradual Introduction of Free Software in Cuba Becomes Significant to Go
    Ahead in the Crucial Strategy.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Without “pushing the boat out”, the gradual introduction of free software in
    | Cuba becomes significant to go ahead in the process of incorporating *
    | informatics into society.
    `----

    http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2008/02..._strategy.html

    Cuba embraces migration to free and open source software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Cuba's Cabinet also has urged a shift from proprietary software. The customs
    | service has gone to Linux and the ministries of culture, higher education and *
    | communications are planning to do so, Rodriguez said.
    |
    | And students in his own department are cooking up a version of Linux called
    | Nova, based on Gentoo distribution of the operating system. The ministry of
    | higher education is developing its own. *
    `----

    http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2007/08..._software.html

    Cuba Embraces Open-Source Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both governments say they are trying to wean state agencies from
    | Microsoft's proprietary Windows to the open-source Linux operating
    | system, which is developed by a global community of programmers
    | who freely share their code.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Other countries have tried similar moves. China, Brazil and
    | Norway have encouraged the development of Linux for a variety
    | of reasons: Microsoft's near-monopoly over operating systems,
    | the high cost of proprietary software and security problems.
    `----

    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    http://tinyurl.com/29dejf

  2. Re: [News] Cuba Approaches the Windows to GNU/Linux Phase COMMIE LINUX TO BE RELEASED (was: [News] Cuba Approaches the Windows to GNU/Linux Phase)

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:09:21 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Kicking Cuba's Free Software Switch Into a Higher Gear

    Communists love Linux!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Cuba Approaches the Windows to GNU/Linux Phase COMMIE LINUX TO BE RELEASED (was: [News] Cuba Approaches the Windows to GNU/Linux Phase)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: Moshe and communists

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:58:00 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:09:21 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Kicking Cuba's Free Software Switch Into a Higher Gear

    > Communists love Linux!

    So what? A lot of them probably like M&Ms, too.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Moshe and communists

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:58:00 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:09:21 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Kicking Cuba's Free Software Switch Into a Higher Gear

    >> Communists love Linux!

    > So what? A lot of them probably like M&Ms, too.

    LOL.

    Not made by Nestle, though .

    --
    There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
    number of users want fixed.

  6. Re: Moshe and communists

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Communists love Linux!

    >> So what? A lot of them probably like M&Ms, too.

    > LOL.
    >
    > Not made by Nestle, though .

    They make team in late 1940's to reverse engineer M&M, with promise of
    vacation in Siberia if melt in comrade's hand.

  7. Re: Forget Moshe, Linux Boosts Ice Cream Sales!

    Matt wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Rick fired off:

    >>> So what? A lot of them probably like M&Ms, too.

    >> LOL. Not made by Nestle, though .

    > They make team in late 1940's to reverse engineer M&M, with
    > promise of vacation in Siberia if melt in comrade's hand.

    AKA Hadron style, designer gets in the back of the head. :-)

    http://reviews.cnet.com/Chocolate_fl...7-6433579.html

    Chocolate-flavored Linux?
    CNET's Rafe Needleman was hungry for something new at Demo 2006
    in sunny Phoenix. He was pleased to find an ice cream vendor.
    moo Bella president Bruce Ginsberg explains why this is not your
    old-fashioned vending Machine.
    I watched the excellent video in above URL whilst in Debian based
    Ubuntu, which Moshe, DFS and Hadron claim have extreme problems
    of stability.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  8. Re: Forget Moshe, Linux Boosts Ice Cream Sales!

    Matt wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Rick fired off:

    >>> So what? A lot of them probably like M&Ms, too.

    >> LOL. Not made by Nestle, though .

    > They make team in late 1940's to reverse engineer M&M, with
    > promise of vacation in Siberia if melt in comrade's hand.

    AKA Hadron style, designer gets in the back of the head. :-)

    http://reviews.cnet.com/Chocolate_fl...7-6433579.html

    Chocolate-flavored Linux?
    CNET's Rafe Needleman was hungry for something new at Demo 2006 in sunny
    Phoenix. He was pleased to find an ice cream vendor. moo Bella
    president Bruce Ginsberg explains why this is not your old-fashioned
    vending Machine.
    I watched the excellent video in above URL whilst in Debian based
    Ubuntu, which Moshe, DFS and Hadron claim have extreme problems of
    stability.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  9. Re: Forget Moshe, Linux Boosts Ice Cream Sales!

    * High Plains Thumper peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I watched the excellent video in above URL whilst in Debian based
    > Ubuntu, which Moshe, DFS and Hadron claim have extreme problems of
    > stability.

    It should be obvious, even to noobs, that those three have extreme
    problems of honesty.

    --
    When we have the information highway, I'll put it [information about
    himself] out there. Everybody who wants to pay, I don't know, one cent, can

  10. Re: Forget Moshe, Linux Boosts Ice Cream Sales!

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> Rick fired off:

    >>> LOL. Not made by Nestle, though .

    >> They make team in late 1940's to reverse engineer M&M, with
    >> promise of vacation in Siberia if melt in comrade's hand.

    > AKA Hadron style, designer gets in the back of the head. :-)
    >
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/Chocolate_fl...7-6433579.html
    >

    > Chocolate-flavored Linux?
    > CNET's Rafe Needleman was hungry for something new at Demo 2006 in sunny
    > Phoenix. He was pleased to find an ice cream vendor. moo Bella
    > president Bruce Ginsberg explains why this is not your old-fashioned
    > vending Machine.
    >

    > I watched the excellent video in above URL whilst in Debian based
    > Ubuntu, which Moshe, DFS and Hadron claim have extreme problems of
    > stability.

    I'm with Unbuntu too.

    Not sure about trusting the guy in the video though---he looks too much
    like the blammer, and the story's on cnet (P. Allen). :-)

+ Reply to Thread