[News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While wandering the Ubuntu site (www.ubuntu.com) to take a look at the new
    | Hardy Heron / 8.04 LTS version, I went all philosophical and tried to think
    | of any lessons that the Puppy Community could learn from that of Ubuntu. Now
    | please note this is not a dig at the Puppy Community, we are one of the best
    | out there, I'm just taking a step back and pondering to myself.
    |
    | So anyway here we go...
    |
    | There are of course already things key to the Ubuntu community that Puppy
    | does well. Support in the forums is to a very high standard, as is the
    | development of individual programs.
    `----

    http://www.puppylinux.org/community/...learned-ubuntu

    Recent:

    Puppy Linux 4 gets new bite

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Its been been six months since Puppy Linux 3.01 was released and today Barry
    | Kauler announced Puppy 4.00, aka Dingo. Clocking in at a minimal 87MB
    | download, Puppy 4.00 is a lightweight desktop Linux alternative ideal for
    | low-end machines, or for users who want a little less clutter and more speed
    | from their desktop.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2398

    Puppeee: Puppy for your Eee PC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Asus Eee PC ultraportable comes bundled with a version of Xandros as its
    | operating system. If you would like to try a different Linux distro on your
    | Eee, there are plenty of options to choose from, including eeeXubuntu,
    | EeeDora, ZenEee, *EeePCLinuxOS, and Puppeee. The latter is based on Puppy
    | Linux, a tiny Linux distribution that sports a few unique features that make
    | it a perfect candidate for use on machines like the Eee PC.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/131070

    Puppy Linux 4.0 on a Dell Inspiron 1150 Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In conclusion, if you are looking for something different I would give Puppy
    | a try. This version is all built from source to maximize speed. Every program
    | on my machine seems to open instaneously. Even with Compiz functionality
    | turned off in Gnome, my Ubuntu install is no where near as fast. There are
    | many features in Puppy that are lacking in other distributions. Installation
    | to thumb drivers, remastering your own custom cd, and wizards to aid new
    | users are just a few.
    `----

    http://www.penguinway.net/?p=89

  2. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
    endless hours if not days of frustration.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    > > Lessons learned from Ubuntu
    > Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
    > endless hours if not days of frustration.

    Whereas if you don't mind a challenge, and don't get upset if it does
    everything you want and more for free...

  5. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:43:42 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    > Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
    > users endless hours if not days of frustration.

    Ok.. then don't use Windows.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: More Moshe BS.

    Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:43:42 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    >> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
    >> users endless hours if not days of frustration.

    > Ok.. then don't use Windows.

    Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    few seconds to overcome.
    caver1

  7. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:31:10 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
    >>> users endless hours if not days of frustration.

    >> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>

    > Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    > few seconds to overcome.
    > caver1

    Yea.
    Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.

    At least you are honest though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  9. Re: More Moshe BS.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:53:30 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:31:10 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>>

    >> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    >> few seconds to overcome.
    >> caver1

    > Yea.
    > Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.
    >
    > At least you are honest though.

    Why do you an OS you detest?

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: More Moshe BS.

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:31:10 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>>

    >> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    >> few seconds to overcome.
    >> caver1

    > Yea.
    > Pulling the plug doesn't take too long.
    >
    > At least you are honest though.

    I haven't seen the plug. I didn't know my computer had one.
    caver1

  12. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  13. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    > Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
    > endless hours if not days of frustration.

    **** OFF MOSHE, YOU ARE WORTHLESS.

    /kill
    /end

  14. Re: More Moshe BS.

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]
    On 2008-05-26, caver1 wrote:
    > Rick wrote:

    >>> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the
    >>> users endless hours if not days of frustration.

    >> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>

    > Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    > few seconds to overcome.
    > caver1

    Some of the people posting here about system freezes or lockups may find
    it helpful if you elaborate on how you overcame the problem - assuming
    you found a permanent fix. (If you've already done this in another post -
    nevermind.)

    --

  15. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On 27 May 2008 00:39:09 GMT, Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]
    > On 2008-05-26, caver1 wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Ok.. then don't use Windows.
    >>>

    >> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    >> few seconds to overcome.
    >> caver1

    > Some of the people posting here about system freezes or lockups may find
    > it helpful if you elaborate on how you overcame the problem - assuming
    > you found a permanent fix. (If you've already done this in another post -
    > nevermind.)

    There doesn't seem to be a fix.

    FWIW the Fedora 9 users seem to be having similar lockup and freeze
    problems with Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 21:34:55 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 04:48:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Lessons learned from Ubuntu

    >> Don't build a Linux distribution that freezes and lockups causing the users
    >> endless hours if not days of frustration.
    >>

    > **** OFF MOSHE, YOU ARE WORTHLESS.
    >
    > /kill
    > /end

    So you prefer a Linux distribution that locks up, freezes and causes the
    user endless hours of frustration then.

    Well that certainly explains why Linux is in the sad state it is currently
    in.

    You guys just don't seem to care about quality.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: More Moshe BS.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  18. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  19. Re: More Moshe BS.

    On 2008-05-27, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On 27 May 2008 00:39:09 GMT, Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.ubuntu.]

    >>> Using Hardy 64bit. Yes have had a couple of lockups but it only took a
    >>> few seconds to overcome.
    >>> caver1

    >> Some of the people posting here about system freezes or lockups may find
    >> it helpful if you elaborate on how you overcame the problem - assuming
    >> you found a permanent fix. (If you've already done this in another post -
    >> nevermind.)

    > There doesn't seem to be a fix.
    >
    > FWIW the Fedora 9 users seem to be having similar lockup and freeze
    > problems with Linux.

    Do you know if any F9 users who are using the 2.6.25.3 kernel are
    experiencing these problems? (I'm using 2.6.25.3-18 [with AMD Athlon
    3500+] and am having no such problems; but that doesn't prove, of course
    that others are not seeing them.)

    --

  20. Re: [News] Puppy Linux Team Takes Lessons from Ubuntu

    > So you prefer a Linux distribution that locks up, freezes and causes the
    > user endless hours of frustration then.

    Simple statement of fact:

    * We already put up with it in Windows *

    Haven't you heard of a BSOD ?

    If you haven't seen one, you're one of the few who hasn't, so please
    stop trying to get a FREE product you hate working, and leave it to
    people who are (typically) using and coding it for free - and are
    happy to put up with what *you* think is instability but may not be an
    issue for 99% of the population.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast