[News] Funny Article Advocating Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux - Linux ; Linux system can be useful Windows alternative ,----[ Quote ] | But now that many Linux distributions come equipped with a graphical user | interface (GUI) that is as user-friendly as the Window's GUI, the Linux | operating system is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

  1. [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    Linux system can be useful Windows alternative

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But now that many Linux distributions come equipped with a graphical user
    | interface (GUI) that is as user-friendly as the Window's GUI, the Linux
    | operating system is popping up on more and more home PCs and for many
    | different reasons.
    `----

    http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/ar.../market937.txt

    It's amusing to read because it's clear that the author knows little about
    Linux (and probably never used it).

  2. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    wrote
    on Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:33:26 +0100
    <2318135.vHBSDHX0QQ@schestowitz.com>:
    > Linux system can be useful Windows alternative
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | But now that many Linux distributions come equipped with a graphical user
    > | interface (GUI) that is as user-friendly as the Window's GUI, the Linux
    > | operating system is popping up on more and more home PCs and for many
    > | different reasons.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/ar.../market937.txt
    >
    > It's amusing to read because it's clear that the author knows little about
    > Linux (and probably never used it).

    Well, lessee if they've got the basics right, at least.

    * Linux is inexpensive. This is true, though again the
    author (as usual) makes the usual mistake of not
    calculating the cost required to download a 1 GB CD.
    So Linux is not free, but it's damned close. Shipping
    charges are a problem -- Cheapbytes is just as expensive
    shipping about 10 disks as it is 1, last I looked (which
    was awhile ago).

    * Bugs, holes, and security issues tend to be found and
    fixed quickly. This is true, though Linux security
    is currently roughly equivalent to Windows security
    by at least one metric -- and the trolls crow about
    this metric. Personally, I think they're looking at
    the wall in front of them and ignoring the wide gaping
    holes to the side... never mind the rear -- and did I
    mention the one over their heads?

    * I'm not sure what "similar to Windows XP" means in
    that context. Certainly a lot of Linux distros offer
    "point-and-click" gooey stuff (either Gnome or KDE).
    One can even set it to "click-to-focus" (to me,
    that's personally very annoying; I highly prefer
    focus-follows-mouse). And of course there's only so many
    ways to implement a drop-down picker gadget, a spinner
    gadget, a type-in text box (either 1 or multiline),
    checkboxes, radio gadgetry. Most will probably go with
    the standard window managers -- top draggable bar,
    upper right "X-in-the-box" for closing.

    Naughty. They mention Impress but don't explicitly
    name it. Calc at least they can be excused for (way too
    generic a name, though so is "Word", for that matter).

    I rather doubt Firefox was originally designed to be used
    with Linux. Unix, maybe. I suspect it came from the XUL
    used by Netscape, modified to remove the proprietary bits.
    I'd have to look.

    The article could have at least mentioned bootloaders;
    its dismissive comment of "it's possible to have both
    Windows and Linux installed on the same PC. Then, it's
    just a matter of selecting which operating system to
    load at boot time" is OK as far as it goes, but not as
    specific as it could have been. Then again...the audience
    is probably not going to know what "LILO" stands for (it
    stands for LInux LOader -- and just to confuse things,
    "Lilo" is Stitch's sidekick in a Disney movie!) or "GRUB"
    (GRand Universal Boot loader -- though now it's just
    shorthand for "GNU GRUB" apparently). And then there's
    LOADLIN, BOOT.INI/Windows NT's bootloader (that can be
    modified to boot Linux), Live CD's, ...

    As a generic "feelgood filler" article, it's not too bad.
    But that's all this is...not really useful, though it's
    nice to know smalltown papers are noticing Linux. Carroll
    County is in Maryland; the newspaper is in Westminster,
    some distance north from Washington, DC. Of course had
    I thought to look at the title bar proper I would have
    figured this out sooner... :-)

    (The server reports itself as a fairly generic Apache, with
    no OS designation. The HTML is not horrid, though it
    could be cleaner, and shows no obvious Microsoft artifacts.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
    try our new color changing variant?

  3. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | But now that many Linux distributions come equipped with a
    > | graphical user interface (GUI)

    GNU/Linux now has a GUI?

    WOW!

    Erm ... the author is two and a half decades behind the times.

    > | that is as user-friendly as the Window's GUI

    I can think of few GNU/Linux WM/DEs which are /that/ bad.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    05:43:29 up 50 days, 4:38, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.11

  4. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    Verily I say unto thee, that [H]omer spake thusly:

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | But now that many Linux distributions come equipped with a
    >> | graphical user interface (GUI)

    > GNU/Linux now has a GUI?
    >
    > WOW!
    >
    > Erm ... the author is two and a half decades behind the times.

    ^^^

    One, I mean.

    >> | that is as user-friendly as the Window's GUI

    > I can think of few GNU/Linux WM/DEs which are /that/ bad.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    06:12:30 up 50 days, 5:07, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.06

  5. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    In article <87fus4-s73.ln1@sky.matrix>, "[H]omer" wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that [H]omer spake thusly:
    > > Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
    > >
    > >> ,----[ Quote ]

    > > GNU/Linux now has a GUI?
    > >
    > > WOW!
    > >
    > > Erm ... the author is two and a half decades behind the times.

    > ^^^
    >
    > One, I mean.

    Even with that correction, you are wrong. Want to try again?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    ____/ [H]omer on Friday 28 September 2007 06:14 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that [H]omer spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> GNU/Linux now has a GUI?
    >>
    >> WOW!
    >>
    >> Erm ... the author is two and a half decades behind the times.

    > ^^^
    >
    > One, I mean.

    But if it's not exactly like Windows, then it's behind right? Some reviewers
    will give high score to those who mimic mistakes, e.g. Xandros, Linspire...

    >> I can think of few GNU/Linux WM/DEs which are /that/ bad.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    09:20:01 up 18 days, 7:26, 4 users, load average: 0.98, 1.65, 2.35

  7. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ [H]omer on Friday 28 September 2007 06:14 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that [H]omer spake thusly:

    >>> GNU/Linux now has a GUI?
    >>>
    >>> WOW!
    >>>
    >>> Erm ... the author is two and a half decades behind the times.

    >> ^^^
    >>
    >> One, I mean.

    > But if it's not exactly like Windows, then it's behind right? Some
    > reviewers will give high score to those who mimic mistakes, e.g. Xandros,
    > Linspire...

    What happened to that "choice thingy"?
    Face it, Roy, you are no better than Hadron Quark in his infinite idiocy
    regarding "choice" (preferring to reduce it)

    >>> I can think of few GNU/Linux WM/DEs which are /that/ bad.

    --
    It's sweet to be remembered, but it's often cheaper to be forgotten.

  8. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >But if it's not exactly like Windows, then it's behind right? Some reviewers
    >will give high score to those who mimic mistakes, e.g. Xandros, Linspire...

    One of my best friends has been using Linspire for years, now. Works
    for him...

  9. Re: Funny Article Advocating Linux

    On Sep 27, 2:33 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Linux system can be useful Windows alternative
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | But now that many Linux distributions come equipped with a graphical user
    > | interface (GUI) that is as user-friendly as the Window's GUI, the Linux
    > | operating system is popping up on more and more home PCs and for many
    > | different reasons.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/ar...eatures/market...
    >
    > It's amusing to read because it's clear that the author knows little about
    > Linux (and probably never used it).

    The thing is, it's exactly this type of Mom-n-Pop article, explained
    simply, in a local newspaper that will get people to try Linux...so,
    don't hold your nose too long.

  10. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    ____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 14:54 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>But if it's not exactly like Windows, then it's behind right? Some reviewers
    >>will give high score to those who mimic mistakes, e.g. Xandros, Linspire...

    > One of my best friends has been using Linspire for years, now. Works
    > for him...

    It does. But Apple OS X also works as a BSD. But it's not open source. It's
    aggressive lock-in and restriction of choice. We're back were we started --
    another Windows.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
    roy pts/2 cg001a.halls.man Fri Sep 28 16:21 still logged in

  11. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 14:54 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>>But if it's not exactly like Windows, then it's behind right? Some reviewers
    >>>will give high score to those who mimic mistakes, e.g. Xandros, Linspire...

    >> One of my best friends has been using Linspire for years, now. Works
    >> for him...

    >It does. But Apple OS X also works as a BSD. But it's not open source. It's
    >aggressive lock-in and restriction of choice. We're back were we started --
    >another Windows.

    He's not locked in. He could switch tomorrow to another distro, if he
    wanted to.

  12. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    "Remember, half-measures can be very effective if all you deal with are
    half-wits."
    --Chris Klein

  13. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    Jim Richardson espoused:

    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:40:22 +0100,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 14:54 : \____

    >>> One of my best friends has been using Linspire for years, now. Works
    >>> for him...

    >> It does. But Apple OS X also works as a BSD. But it's not open source. It's
    >> aggressive lock-in and restriction of choice. We're back were we started --
    >> another Windows.
    >>

    > How is someone using Linspire "locked in"?

    Didn't they sign some kind of limited cross-licensing deal with
    Microsoft, whilst not quite admitting what it was the customer was
    really getting?

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > Jim Richardson espoused:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:40:22 +0100,
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> ____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 14:54 : \____

    >>> It does. But Apple OS X also works as a BSD. But it's not open source.
    >>> It's aggressive lock-in and restriction of choice. We're back were we
    >>> started -- another Windows.
    >>>

    >> How is someone using Linspire "locked in"?
    >>

    > Didn't they sign some kind of limited cross-licensing deal with
    > Microsoft,

    So what? This amounts to "lock in" exactly how?

    > whilst not quite admitting what it was the customer was
    > really getting?

    Might it be a linux distro? With source code?
    --
    Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

  15. Re: Funny Article Advocating Linux

    On 28 Sep, 22:20, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Jim Richardson espoused:

    > > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:40:22 +0100,
    > > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >> ____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 14:54 : \____

    > >> It does. But Apple OS X also works as a BSD. But it's not open source. It's
    > >> aggressive lock-in and restriction of choice. We're back were we started --
    > >> another Windows.

    > > How is someone using Linspire "locked in"?

    > Didn't they sign some kind of limited cross-licensing deal with
    > Microsoft, whilst not quite admitting what it was the customer was
    > really getting?

    I think Linspire are in that merry gang that signed "interoperability
    deals" with Microsoft (so when MS go after our commie, patent-
    violating asses, Linspire users can breathe easy). I've never tried
    Linspire. When I learnt that their original name was "Lindows", I
    just couldn't take them seriously. Highly bigoted of me - Linspire
    might be the bestest distro /ever/. Many people say that other
    cowardly bunch of scum-lovers, Novell, do a good Linux too. I just
    don't want to be associated with such folk.

  16. Re: Funny Article Advocating Linux

    ____/ dapunka on Friday 28 September 2007 23:13 : \____

    > On 28 Sep, 22:20, Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Jim Richardson espoused:

    >> > How is someone using Linspire "locked in"?

    >> Didn't they sign some kind of limited cross-licensing deal with
    >> Microsoft, whilst not quite admitting what it was the customer was
    >> really getting?

    > I think Linspire are in that merry gang that signed "interoperability
    > deals" with Microsoft (so when MS go after our commie, patent-
    > violating asses, Linspire users can breathe easy). I've never tried
    > Linspire. When I learnt that their original name was "Lindows", I
    > just couldn't take them seriously. Highly bigoted of me - Linspire
    > might be the bestest distro /ever/. Many people say that other
    > cowardly bunch of scum-lovers, Novell, do a good Linux too. I just
    > don't want to be associated with such folk.

    To just illustrate this point, you are allowed to install Linspire on
    only /ONE/ PC. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but there is a passionate
    doubter of Linspire at Digg and he knows their plans very intimately. There
    are various other examples. Xandros, by the way, isn't much better.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432

  17. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    ____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 18:40 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 14:54 : \____

    >>> One of my best friends has been using Linspire for years, now. Works
    >>> for him...

    >>It does. But Apple OS X also works as a BSD. But it's not open source. It's
    >>aggressive lock-in and restriction of choice. We're back were we started --
    >>another Windows.

    > He's not locked in. He could switch tomorrow to another distro, if he
    > wanted to.

    Okay, you do have a point here, so while my comparison to OS X stands,
    the "lock-in" part of an analogy does not translate well. However, do bear in
    mind that Linspire put shackles on Linux _as a whole_, so in that sense, it
    punishes the (Linspire) Linux user no matter where s/he goes.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done
    Tasks: 131 total, 1 running, 129 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  18. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:58:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 18:40 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>>____/ chrisv on Friday 28 September 2007 14:54 : \____

    >>>It does. But Apple OS X also works as a BSD. But it's not open source. It's
    >>>aggressive lock-in and restriction of choice. We're back were we started --
    >>>another Windows.

    >> He's not locked in. He could switch tomorrow to another distro, if he
    >> wanted to.

    > Okay, you do have a point here, so while my comparison to OS X stands,
    > the "lock-in" part of an analogy does not translate well. However, do bear in
    > mind that Linspire put shackles on Linux _as a whole_, so in that sense, it
    > punishes the (Linspire) Linux user no matter where s/he goes.

    HOw? I don't use Linspire, never have used Linspire and don't plan to use
    Linspire. Linspire has no effect on me at all. Explain.
    what you mean.

    --
    Kier

  19. Re: Funny Article Advocating Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ dapunka on Friday 28 September 2007 23:13 : \____
    >
    >> On 28 Sep, 22:20, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>> Jim Richardson espoused:

    >>> Didn't they sign some kind of limited cross-licensing deal with
    >>> Microsoft, whilst not quite admitting what it was the customer was
    >>> really getting?

    >> I think Linspire are in that merry gang that signed "interoperability
    >> deals" with Microsoft (so when MS go after our commie, patent-
    >> violating asses, Linspire users can breathe easy). I've never tried
    >> Linspire. When I learnt that their original name was "Lindows", I
    >> just couldn't take them seriously. Highly bigoted of me - Linspire
    >> might be the bestest distro /ever/. Many people say that other
    >> cowardly bunch of scum-lovers, Novell, do a good Linux too. I just
    >> don't want to be associated with such folk.

    > To just illustrate this point, you are allowed to install Linspire on
    > only /ONE/ PC. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but there is a passionate
    > doubter of Linspire at Digg and he knows their plans very intimately. There
    > are various other examples. Xandros, by the way, isn't much better.

    As Linspire is mostly GNU code, that is not a restriction which can be
    enforced. Clearly, they are happy to threaten their customers, though.

  20. Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

    chrisv wrote:

    > >> One of my best friends has been using Linspire for years, now. Works
    > >> for him...

    > >It does. But Apple OS X also works as a BSD. But it's not open source. It's
    > >aggressive lock-in and restriction of choice. We're back were we started --
    > >another Windows.

    > He's not locked in. He could switch tomorrow to another distro, if he
    > wanted to.

    That's sorta like saying you're not locked into Windows because you can
    switch to OSX/Linux/BSD.

    Bad driving is bad driving even if it's not Micro$oft at the wheel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast