Open Source Developers Shun GPLv3 - Linux

This is a discussion on Open Source Developers Shun GPLv3 - Linux ; "Kier" wrote in message news an.2007.09.28.09.43.02.352391@tiscali.co.uk... > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:11:26 +0100, dennis@home wrote: 8 > We're a trifle more secure than Windows, though no system is 100% secure, > with a determined enough attacker. Now you are ...

  1. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    "Kier" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.09.28.09.43.02.352391@tiscali.co.uk...
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:11:26 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    8<

    > We're a trifle more secure than Windows, though no system is 100% secure,
    > with a determined enough attacker.

    Now you are getting it wrong again.
    You are no more secure than windows with regards to this type of attack.
    In fact you are probably less secure.
    At least on windows there are a multitude of AV and anti spyware packages
    that any hacker would have to overcome as well as the standard OS features.
    On Linux there is just the standard stuff so one hack will work almost
    anywhere.
    Don't let any security features that are there to stop you running malware
    give you the impression you are safe as a fake live CD doesn't have them and
    the ones on your system don't matter.

    >> While its true that many *real* live CDs can't access the disks, its
    >> only because whoever put the CD together removed that ability. Anyone
    >> could create a live CD that can access the disks and can do anything
    >> they like including instaling root kits or emailing data or anything
    >> they like.

    > Anyone could, yes. But I've heard of no case of it happening. And since it
    > would be relatively easy, you would naturally expect it to have happened
    > often enough to have been noticed or detected.

    What is there to detect?
    Are you looking for something?
    You are secure so why are you looking?
    Yes it is a social engineering hack and it sounds like you are a perfect
    target (like most people).
    You expect too much from your software.. something it cannot do.
    You have also been luuled into a false sense of security by some of the
    things it can do but have no relevance here.

    >> Unless you can identify these disks you have a security problem and it is
    >> not going away just by saying it hasn't been done yet.. the reality is
    >> that
    >> you probably wouldn't know if it had been. To start with while people
    >> don't
    >> believe it can happen who is going to look.

    > Someone may have done it somewhere, of course, and gone undetected. But
    > they will have crafted a LiveCD of their own, not placed it in the public
    > domain, as it were.

    P2P? That sounds public to me.

    There were loads of them last time I looked and I expect some of them to be
    dubious, one has to get herd controllers somewhere..

    Anyway if the hackers hadn't thought of it they know now.
    You can expect your first batch with the release of Ubuntu next week. ;-)

    8<

  2. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    dennis@home wrote:

    >"Kier" wrote:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:11:26 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >8<
    >
    >> We're a trifle more secure than Windows, though no system is 100% secure,
    >> with a determined enough attacker.

    >Now you are getting it wrong again.
    >You are no more secure than windows with regards to this type of attack.
    >In fact you are probably less secure.

    You are a fscking idiot. If you're so paranoid, get your LiveCD ISO
    from directly from the ubuntu (or whatever) Web site. Sheesh.

  3. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    chrisv wrote:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >>"Kier" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:11:26 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >>8<
    >>
    >>> We're a trifle more secure than Windows, though no system is 100%
    >>> secure, with a determined enough attacker.

    >>Now you are getting it wrong again.
    >>You are no more secure than windows with regards to this type of attack.
    >>In fact you are probably less secure.

    > You are a fscking idiot. If you're so paranoid, get your LiveCD ISO
    > from directly from the ubuntu (or whatever) Web site. Sheesh.

    Typical M$ paranoia, that's what their OS does for you. Wanna bet he has a
    twitch too?

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0

  4. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    William Poaster wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:

    >>>8<

    >>>Now you are getting it wrong again.
    >>>You are no more secure than windows with regards to this type of attack.
    >>>In fact you are probably less secure.

    >> You are a fscking idiot. If you're so paranoid, get your LiveCD ISO
    >> from directly from the ubuntu (or whatever) Web site. Sheesh.

    > Typical M$ paranoia,

    Not at all. It is either stupidity of an unheard of level, or it is a new
    round of FUD "liveCDs are dangerous, don't try them"

    > that's what their OS does for you. Wanna bet he has a
    > twitch too?

    He sounds like a flatfish/Quark conglomerate.
    --
    Microsoft: The company that made email dangerous
    And web browsing. And viewing pictures. And...

  5. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >>"Kier" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:11:26 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >>8<
    >>
    >>> We're a trifle more secure than Windows, though no system is 100%
    >>> secure,
    >>> with a determined enough attacker.

    >>Now you are getting it wrong again.
    >>You are no more secure than windows with regards to this type of attack.
    >>In fact you are probably less secure.

    > You are a fscking idiot. If you're so paranoid, get your LiveCD ISO
    > from directly from the ubuntu (or whatever) Web site. Sheesh.

    Another one that doesn't like the truth.
    There is *nothing* in Linux (or most OSes) to protect a user from such a
    simple attack and yet you think I am paranoid for not listening to some
    troll posting download web sites in a news group. Do get a clue on what is
    and isn't safe with the computer you are supposed to be in charge of.

  6. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:57:38 +0100, "dennis@home"
    wrote:

    >Another one that doesn't like the truth.

    The truth is you're just another self-important, loud, uncouth windbag
    that has some odd need to try to defend questionable Microsoft
    practices. I should thank you, because you and about a half a dozen
    other airheads make me and I'm guessing many others laugh every day
    over the idiotic things you keep saying.

  7. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    dennis@home wrote:

    >"chrisv" wrote:
    >>
    >> You are a fscking idiot. If you're so paranoid, get your LiveCD ISO
    >> from directly from the ubuntu (or whatever) Web site. Sheesh.

    >Another one that doesn't like the truth.

    The truth is, you're an idiot.

    >There is *nothing* in Linux (or most OSes) to protect a user from such a
    >simple attack

    Idiot. Read my last post again.

  8. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >>"chrisv" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You are a fscking idiot. If you're so paranoid, get your LiveCD ISO
    >>> from directly from the ubuntu (or whatever) Web site. Sheesh.

    >>Another one that doesn't like the truth.

    > The truth is, you're an idiot.
    >
    >>There is *nothing* in Linux (or most OSes) to protect a user from such a
    >>simple attack

    > Idiot. Read my last post again.

    The only thing in your post are insults so it appears you know nothing! and
    you call me an idiot.

  9. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    Adam Albright wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:57:38 +0100, "dennis@home"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Another one that doesn't like the truth.

    > The truth is you're just another self-important, loud, uncouth windbag
    > that has some odd need to try to defend questionable Microsoft
    > practices. I should thank you, because you and about a half a dozen
    > other airheads make me and I'm guessing many others laugh every day
    > over the idiotic things you keep saying.

    OMG, that the most self-descriptive (or self-effacing) statement you've
    yet to post!
    That didn't hurt at all did it?
    Frank

  10. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    "Adam Albright" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:57:38 +0100, "dennis@home"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Another one that doesn't like the truth.

    > The truth is you're just another self-important, loud, uncouth windbag
    > that has some odd need to try to defend questionable Microsoft
    > practices. I should thank you, because you and about a half a dozen
    > other airheads make me and I'm guessing many others laugh every day
    > over the idiotic things you keep saying.

    You are crazy. This has nothing to do with M$ or windows so shut up.

  11. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    Adam Albright wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:57:38 +0100, "dennis@home"
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Another one that doesn't like the truth.

    > The truth is you're just another self-important, loud, uncouth windbag
    > that has some odd need to try to defend questionable Microsoft
    > practices. I should thank you, because you and about a half a dozen
    > other airheads make me and I'm guessing many others laugh every day
    > over the idiotic things you keep saying.

    world, but all you really are is street garbage that needs to be pick-up
    and taken to the city dump.>

  12. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:05:51 -0400, Adam GARBAGE AT THE CURB Albright
    wrote:

    >Adam Albright wrote:
    >> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:57:38 +0100, "dennis@home"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Another one that doesn't like the truth.

    >> The truth is you're just another self-important, loud, uncouth windbag
    >> that has some odd need to try to defend questionable Microsoft
    >> practices. I should thank you, because you and about a half a dozen
    >> other airheads make me and I'm guessing many others laugh every day
    >> over the idiotic things you keep saying.
    >>

    > >world, but all you really are is street garbage that needs to be pick-up
    >and taken to the city dump.>

    Only a couple dickheads that repeat the same slop over and over. That
    kind of narrows down who the idiot behind the mask is.

  13. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    dennis@home wrote:

    >"chrisv" wrote in message
    >>
    >> dennis@home wrote:

    >>>Another one that doesn't like the truth.

    >> The truth is, you're an idiot.
    >>
    >>>There is *nothing* in Linux (or most OSes) to protect a user from such a
    >>>simple attack

    >> Idiot. Read my last post again.

    >The only thing in your post are insults

    Incorrect. I also explained *why* I'm calling you an idiot.

    >so it appears you know nothing!

    Wrong again, obviously.

    >and you call me an idiot.

    Yes, I do, because you are.

  14. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    Asstroturfer dennis@home wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > "7" wrote in message
    > news:dOVKi.21730$c_1.2486@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    >> Asstroturfer dennis@home wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:
    >>

    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:4lUKi.21642$c_1.10147@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    >>> You must be joking.. nobody in their right mind would download a self
    >>> booting CD recommended by anyone they didn't know.
    >>> It could do absolutely anything to the machine you boot it on.
    >>> Its just the sort of thing a hacker would try to get you to do.
    >>> It would be a damn good way to root Linux boxes BTW.

    >> 100% wrong!!!

    > You shouldn't be so certain, the Internet is full of nasty clever people
    > that will eat you for breakfast.
    >
    >> Linux distributions come with source code.
    >> If you don't trust a distro, you can make it yourself
    >> with the original source code.
    >>
    >> Begs the question which corporation is gonna trust a micoshaft CD that
    >> has no accompanying source code?
    >> Micoshaft recommend their install CDs which are self booting
    >> and you have no access to their source code to know
    >> whats in a Micoshaft CD!!!
    >>
    >> All Linux CDs come *WITH* source code so that you can be sure
    >> that no viruses or other crap spyware and adware has been put into it.

    > Rubbish.
    > They don't all come with source, and you will find it hard to compile it
    > and make your own.

    Fine all you have to do now is prove it by naming one.
    That will be the *first ever* GPL'd Linux distro without source code.

    > You have no way to actually know a live CD is safe unless you know where
    > it came from and you know they can be trusted.

    Well, ok. All you now have to do now is prove it!
    Simply download the source code, modify it and send it back to the
    Linux distro maintainers, explaining what your code does,
    and I'm sure they will jump to it and incorporate it in their next release.

    WAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AAAAA!!!!

    Don't give up your day job just yet fool!
    The Open Source world is whole lot smarter than you think once
    you get to know how it works.
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    >> That is a fundmantal distinction between open source Linux
    >> and closed source untrustworthy Micoshaft sponsored products.

    > You are letting irrational hate get in the way of logic.
    > You would make an ideal target for a hacker.

  15. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    > HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

  16. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    dennis@home wrote:

    > you call me an idiot.

    Something about the suitability of foot apparel comes to mind...

  17. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    dennis@home wrote:

    > There is *nothing* in Linux (or most OSes) to protect a user from such a
    > simple attack and yet you think I am paranoid for not listening to some
    > troll posting download web sites in a news group. Do get a clue on what is
    > and isn't safe with the computer you are supposed to be in charge of.

    Your state of clue-free is astounding. There's scores of ways to defeat
    evil package distributors from dolling out bogus packages.

    Micro$oft only uses the most fragile of them, if it uses any at all.

    Linux uses the strongest whenever and wherever possible.

    FREE CLUE: the GnuPG keyring maintained by package managers.

    Take as long as you want to think it over. No time limit.

  18. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    Anonymous wrote:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >

    >>There is *nothing* in Linux (or most OSes) to protect a user from such a
    >>simple attack and yet you think I am paranoid for not listening to some
    >>troll posting download web sites in a news group. Do get a clue on what is
    >>and isn't safe with the computer you are supposed to be in charge of.

    > Your state of clue-free is astounding. There's scores of ways to defeat
    > evil package distributors from dolling out bogus packages.
    >
    > Micro$oft only uses the most fragile of them, if it uses any at all.
    >
    > Linux uses the strongest whenever and wherever possible.
    >
    > FREE CLUE: the GnuPG keyring maintained by package managers.
    >
    > Take as long as you want to think it over. No time limit.

    Hey you...butt-munch...get lost.
    Read the sign...it says Vista...not open sores ...or loser linux...just
    Vista.
    Frank

  19. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    dennis@home wrote:

    [trolling crossposting removed]

    > Don't let any security features that are there to stop you running malware
    > give you the impression you are safe as a fake live CD doesn't have them
    > and the ones on your system don't matter.

    Fake liveCDs? Where do you get them from?

    Never heard of them.

    I download my Gentoo iso from one mirror and then get the MD5 hash from
    another..... yippee!

    Hint: Before wanking on about "fake" liveCDs, you should actually find a
    real case of one actually existing...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  20. Re: Open Source Developers Shun Micoshaft Corporation

    Frank wrote:

    > Anonymous wrote:
    >
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>

    >>>There is *nothing* in Linux (or most OSes) to protect a user from such a
    >>>simple attack and yet you think I am paranoid for not listening to some
    >>>troll posting download web sites in a news group. Do get a clue on what
    >>>is and isn't safe with the computer you are supposed to be in charge of.

    >> Your state of clue-free is astounding. There's scores of ways to defeat
    >> evil package distributors from dolling out bogus packages.
    >>
    >> Micro$oft only uses the most fragile of them, if it uses any at all.
    >>
    >> Linux uses the strongest whenever and wherever possible.
    >>
    >> FREE CLUE: the GnuPG keyring maintained by package managers.
    >>
    >> Take as long as you want to think it over. No time limit.
    >>

    > Hey you...butt-munch...get lost.
    > Read the sign...it says Vista...not open sores ...or loser linux...just
    > Vista.
    > Frank

    Idiot
    --