Oxford University goes for storage magic

,----[ Quote ]
| on Edwards, an IT Officer for the two faculties, said: "We knew that finding
| an affordable solution that could work seamlessly in a Netware environment
| and that would effectively transition us to a networked storage model while
| giving us reliability, support, and ease of use was going to be a challenge.
| Like most educational establishments, for us, money is not a bottomless pit.
| Our servers and direct-attach storage infrastructure were dated and we wanted
| to deploy a cost-effective, network-based data protection solution that would
| work with our Novell and Linux servers."
`----

http://www.techworld.com/storage/new...gtype=samechan

IBM's mainframe still get some Linux treatment...

SI consolidates IBM mainframe, Unix, Linux and Windows on single box

,----[ Quote ]
| Platform Solutions Inc. (PSI) has announced its line of plug-compatible
| mainframe computers, which can run z/OS as well as HP-UX, Windows and Linux
| simultaneously and on the same system.
`----

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.c...274056,00.html

Related:

IBM mainframe zIIP and zAAP adoption still lags IFL processor

,----[ Quote ]
| Although IFL has also had a slow start, adoption has taken off of late,
| especially as Linux momentum has grown. Combined with z/VM, the mainframe's
| virtualization operating system, IBM has touted IFL and the mainframe as an
| ideal consolidation platform for PizzaBox Linux servers. *
`----

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.c...269647,00.html

IBM revamps mainframe OS

,----[ Quote ]
| The update, z/OS V1.9, will ship generally from 28 September, and includes
| the ability for a logical partition on the machine to span up to 54
| processors. Previous versions of the OS were capable of setting up partitions
| spanning only 32 processors. *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...frame_upgrade/

Big Iron lives on

,----[ Quote ]
| These Linux-only processors are priced approximately 90 percent
| lower than a processor utilised for a traditional mainframe workload.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9369

IBM to switch its server datacentres to mainframes

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM now thinks heightened concern about energy costs gives it leverage in the
| market to sell more mainframes.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257333000516D2

Big Blue goes green: IBM plans dramatic overhaul of data centers to save $250
million in energy

,----[ Quote ]
| File this in the ?Everything old is new again? folder. Today, IBM is
| announcing plans to consolidate about 4,000 small servers in six locations
| worldwide into 30 Linux-powered mainframes that are each about the size of a
| refrigerator. IBM says that this move will save $250 million over five years,
| reduce floor space for these servers by 85 percent, and save roughly enough
| energy to power a small town. * *
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=527

Linux drives a mainframe revival

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux may not be everyone?s idea of a mainframe operating system,
| but for a growing number of large and medium-sized businesses
| the synergy between Linux and big iron is the solution to as
| ignificant problem.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Feeds/...me+revival.htm
http://tinyurl.com/tdjgr

IBM Opens Latin America's First Mainframe Software Center

,----[ Quote ]
| The System z Center also offers software training and business guidance on
| how the IBM mainframe can deliver faster and customized solutions through
| proven case studies and innovative testing techniques. *
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070810/0289179.html

Mainframe in comeback mode

,----[ Quote ]
| We have over 1,300 independent software vendors who work with the
| Mainframe. We have 300 to 400 in the Linux arena. We have many
| business partners and some integrators too, that we work with.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...0100110300.htm

Linux-on-Mainframe Apps Up 100%: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM recently reported a 390% jump in mainframe sites running Linux.
| It says more than 60% of its mainframe revenue is now coming from
| new workloads, with approximately 20% of the revenue and 30% of the
| MIPS coming from Linux customers, which is what has the ISVs
| interested.
`----

http://issj.sys-con.com/read/317754.htm

IBM touts mainframes to India