[News] U.S. Navy Makes Big Linux Purchases - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] U.S. Navy Makes Big Linux Purchases - Linux ; Lockheed Martin Purchased Over $1 Million of Concurrent?s RedHawk Real-Time Linux for U.S. Navy Next Generation Aegis Weapon System ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent's NightStar for RedHawk Linux is a powerful, integrated tool set | for developing time-critical applications. NightStar ...

  1. [News] U.S. Navy Makes Big Linux Purchases

    Lockheed Martin Purchased Over $1 Million of Concurrent?s RedHawk Real-Time
    Linux for U.S. Navy Next Generation Aegis Weapon System

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Concurrent's NightStar for RedHawk Linux is a powerful, integrated tool set
    | for developing time-critical applications. NightStar tools run with minimal
    | intrusion,
    `----

    http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...90&newsLang=en

    Related:

    Concurrent to Supply Real-Time Linux Solution to the U.S. Navy for Missile
    Simulator Development

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The simulator will be used to determine the effectiveness of Navy and Marine
    | Corps aircraft countermeasure systems that protect the aircraft from hostile
    | missiles.
    `----

    http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9914.html

    Navy CIO 'recognizes the importance of OSS to the warfighter'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | John Weathersby, executive director of the Open Source Software
    | Institute, told Linux.com today that, effective immediately, the
    | Department of the Navy has adopted a new policy which requires that
    | open source software must be considered in every software
    | acquisition the Navy makes.
    `----

    Raytheon Sails Into Battle With Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Among its major capabilities, TSCEI 4.0 supports IBM blade server
    | processors running the Red Hat Linux operating system. It is the first of
    | four planned increments supporting DDG 1000 Release 4 software.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/L...tle_With_Linux

    Linux helps Navy keep high-tech weapon system updated

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | General-purpose computing systems (in other words: personal computers
    | and workstations) could be useful within a variety of control systems
    | as human machine interface (HMI) platforms, network interface systems
    | and even host computers, but many engineers hesitate to incorporate
    | them because of the many stability and security issues surrounding the
    | dominant PC operating system, Microsoft Windows XP. Linux provides an
    | open-source alternative that avoids these Microsoft-related issues. As
    | more engineers become acquainted with Linux, and Linux vendors make
    | their implementations easier to use, PCs running Linux OS have begun
    | to appear in many mission-critical applications.
    |
    | For example, Real-Time Innovations (RTI) and Concurrent Computer Corp.
    | have partnered to provide RTI's standards-based real-time data
    | distribution middleware with Concurrent's RedHawk Linux in support of
    | the U.S. Navy's Aegis Open Architecture program.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Concurrent's RedHawk Linux provides fast response to external events,
    | optimized interprocess communication, and high I/O throughput needed for
    | time-critical applications. The operating system has gained acceptance as
    | a leading real-time Linux platform for high-performance applications,
    | guaranteeing response on a dedicated processor to an external event in
    | less than 30 microseconds.
    `----

    http://www.manufacturing.net/ctl/article/CA6368771.html

  2. Re: [News] U.S. Navy Makes Big Linux Purchases

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> [...]

    > | more engineers become acquainted with Linux, and Linux vendors make
    > | their implementations easier to use, PCs running Linux OS have begun
    > | to appear in many mission-critical applications.
    > |
    > | For example, Real-Time Innovations (RTI) and Concurrent Computer Corp.
    > | have partnered to provide RTI's standards-based real-time data
    > | distribution middleware with Concurrent's RedHawk Linux in support of
    > | the U.S. Navy's Aegis Open Architecture program.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Concurrent's RedHawk Linux provides fast response to external events,
    > | optimized interprocess communication, and high I/O throughput needed for
    > | time-critical applications. The operating system has gained acceptance
    > | as a leading real-time Linux platform for high-performance applications,
    > | guaranteeing response on a dedicated processor to an external event in

    A BIG microsoft WOW moment... They bought a serious solution, not a
    microsoft problem!!!! WOW!!! Screw MSFT... The Navy KNOWS what is GOOD TO
    BUY...

    --

    Jerry McBride

  3. Re: [News] U.S. Navy Makes Big Linux Purchases

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    > A BIG microsoft WOW moment... They bought a serious solution, not a
    > microsoft problem!!!! WOW!!! Screw MSFT... The Navy KNOWS what is GOOD TO
    > BUY...

    They learned from painful experience.

    http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../1998/07/13987

+ Reply to Thread