[News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Making False Vista promise, Brags About Old Linux Feature - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Making False Vista promise, Brags About Old Linux Feature - Linux ; Microsoft Admits they have Failed Vista Ultimate Users ,----[ Quote ] | "I'm as frustrated as you are by this experience and while we've essentially | failed our Ultimate customers to date, we're working hard to exceed their | expectations ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Making False Vista promise, Brags About Old Linux Feature

    Microsoft Admits they have Failed Vista Ultimate Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I'm as frustrated as you are by this experience and while we've essentially
    | failed our Ultimate customers to date, we're working hard to exceed their
    | expectations in the long run." said Nick White a Microsoft product manager
    | and blogger.
    `----

    http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/comments.php?shownews=4552

    No, but wait. Vista can show videos in the background, if you shell out GBP320.

    http://www.windowsultimate.com/photo...scenesmall.wmv

    What has happened to Vista's promised Ultimate Extras?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista Ultimate Extras, available only to customers running the top-end Vista
    | edition, was one of the features cited by Microsoft to distinguish the 320
    | Vista Ultimate from its 185 cousin, Vista Home Premium.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=5344

    Related:

    [Linux] Screensaver as a Desktop Wallpaper

    http://geekhacks.com/2007/09/13/scre...top-wallpaper/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Making False Vista promise, Brags About Old Linux Feature

    wrote
    on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:59:26 +0100
    <1428005.kBPdnSNaAR@schestowitz.com>:
    > Microsoft Admits they have Failed Vista Ultimate Users
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "I'm as frustrated as you are by this experience and
    > | while we've essentially failed our Ultimate customers
    > | to date, we're working hard to exceed their expectations
    > | in the long run." said Nick White a Microsoft product manager
    > | and blogger.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/comments.php?shownews=4552

    I dunno...my expectations for Vista are low.
    Unfortunately, my expectations for Linux are even
    lower, mostly because Microsoft is such a big, beefy
    blocking target.

    Techically, Linux (and distros surrounding it)
    is excellent; lots of capability, stability,
    standardizability, portability, useability, etc.
    Works everywhere, does its thing invisibly, detects
    hardware without so much as a blip (well, I have a
    couple of issues with sound; I'm still working on them),
    etc.

    Marketingwise, Linux is slightly disorganized, David
    vs. Goliath -- well, David did win so there's a chance
    there -- multiplatform capable in a one-platform market
    ("hey, it's a PC; they're pretty generic, right?"),
    multiuser in a one-user-per-PC scenario ("it's MY PC
    and you can have it after you pry it from my cold, dead
    fingers"), multipartition-capable in a setup where there's
    one nice big disk partition holding everything ("what,
    us worry?"), multicapable where a unit might be used
    primarily for one purpose ("dude, where's my games?").
    Is Linux overkill for the typical household, or merely
    misunderstood? (One hopes the latter, but remember who
    has the marketing funds.) At least for servers, Linux
    makes sense -- and a desktop *is* a server, in a limited
    sense; it serves up what the user wants, if all goes well.
    But most people don't think that way.

    And of course Linux is free...but that's hardly enough;
    it has to do what one thinks one needs. After all,
    one has to pay to remove waste from the household (which
    makes said waste have a negative value!) -- and then pay
    to receive pizza deliveries. By itself, free doesn't
    mean that much, although the more discerning might love a
    platform where they don't have to worry about Microsoft's
    cloying "security blanket". (At least Linus van Pelt has
    a choice when picking up his famous tattered blue blanket.
    I'm not sure Microsoft Windows users do.) Certainly I
    like the idea, but I'm more attuned to the day-by-day.
    Fortunately, Linux fares excellently well in that regard
    for me as well. 'ssh user@hostname' just works, as
    does rdesktop.

    Windows? Well, let's just say it could do a lot
    better...but it also has a lot more marketing behind it.
    Perhaps the simplest question is which matters more to the
    end user -- though it depends on the user; not everyone
    sees the inner beauty. Some might only see the colorful
    candy coating of Vista and say "Wow!".

    (The Linux XGL coating is healthier. :-) )

    Of course, there's also the issue that Microsoft is
    a target (a big, beefy, blocking one), and if the DOJ
    ever gets rejuvenated (say bye bye to Alberto G; maybe
    things will now get better, see?), or the EUC gathers even
    more data, the fireworks might be very impressive...for
    a little while. After all, blocking competition is
    generally illegal.

    Also, who does Microsoft have to please more, the stockholders
    or the users? Granted, pleasing the users might please the
    stockholders -- more profits. With Linux, I the user might
    have some say...or at least can tweak my own system, given
    sufficient competence. I for one like that, but it's not
    for everybody.

    > No, but wait. Vista can show videos in the background,
    > if you shell out GBP320.
    >
    > http://www.windowsultimate.com/photo...scenesmall.wmv

    And the reason I would want to see videos in the background
    is ... ??

    > What has happened to Vista's promised Ultimate Extras?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Vista Ultimate Extras, available only to customers running
    > | the top-end Vista edition, was one of the features cited by
    > | Microsoft to distinguish the 320 Vista Ultimate from its
    > | 185 cousin, Vista Home Premium.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=5344

    "Cutting edge programs, innovative services, unique publications"?
    Did I miss something? Somehow, I doubt it.

    http://windowsultimate.com/Blogs/Extras/Default.aspx

    details some of these extras.

    - Dreamscene -- Desktop background comes to life. Rest of
    computer winds up dead?

    - Language packs. This is an *extra*???! Granted, one
    could get into some interesting scenarios where one buys
    software in the UK and takes it back to, say, France
    (or vice versa). But really; this should be a given
    for *any* edition.

    - BitLocker/EFS. Uh, and the reason Home Basic doesn't
    need this is ... ? Oh yeah...because they didn't
    pay enough. Silly me.

    - Hold 'Em Poker Game. Uh...we'll get back to you on that.
    Google, anybody? http://www.acespade.com/
    in particular is the first link that came up.
    http://www.pokerlistings.com/poker-software-sites
    is a list. http://www.gamma-seven.com/ is an online
    software club. http://www.poker-academy.com/ ... well,
    you get the idea. If this is the best Microsoft can do
    in the games department, they're in bad trouble. I'll
    give them 1/4 point for consistency (their previous games
    included the now-infamous SOL.EXE and FreeCell), though
    deduct that same 1/4 point for getting rid of Space Cadet,
    their NT pinball game.

    (For its part KDE offers kpoker: basic, but functional,
    5-card draw. If one's in a hurry one can configure
    the delay between draws. The highest cards blink at
    the end of a round, but it's not always quite right --
    if the user has an A-10 and the computer an A-6, only
    the A blinks. There is a human-vs-computer option,
    and it's not all that dumb...but then I'm not all that
    smart when it comes to outbluffing computers. Not sure
    what Gnome has.)

    > Related:
    >

    > [Linux] Screensaver as a Desktop Wallpaper
    >
    > http://geekhacks.com/2007/09/13/scre...top-wallpaper/

    An interesting hack, and with GL capability should be reasonably
    fast as well, framerate wise. A few users are asking how one
    can do this using Windows. I suppose it's possible but a
    little more complicated.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);