[News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face Police Treatment - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face Police Treatment - Linux ; ISOHunt Begins Blocking US Visitors ,----[ Quote ] | Rather than violate user privacy, TorrentSpy decided to simply cut loose the | US and leave it to its own devices. ISOHunt, faced with similar legal | wranglings as TorrentSpy, decided ...

  1. [News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face Police Treatment

    ISOHunt Begins Blocking US Visitors

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rather than violate user privacy, TorrentSpy decided to simply cut loose the
    | US and leave it to its own devices. ISOHunt, faced with similar legal
    | wranglings as TorrentSpy, decided to follow a similar path and cut loose the
    | US as well.
    `----

    http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9015/IS...ng+US+Visitors

    What does that mean to Linux and Free software distribution? What about artists
    who cannot afford bandwidth or get a contract? They throw the baby out with
    the bathwater?

    Pirate Bay hopes for action by Swedish police

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Swedish police are expected to decide later this week whether a criminal case
    | is warranted against 10 major music and movie companies over their alleged
    | efforts to disrupt the Pirate Bay, one of the largest file-sharing search
    | engines.
    `----

    And here are some of these bands that /need/ to be able to share files
    *legally*.

    Website launched for unsigned bands

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I want to challenge the idea that we need record companies at all.
    |
    | "They rip off the artists by taking such a large cut of their money, and they
    | rip off the customers as well.
    `----

    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ss=yes?rss=yes

    Related:

    Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
    | for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
    | counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
    | dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
    | failing to negotiate in good faith. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
    | practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
    | that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
    | RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
    | evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
    | continue its campaign. * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ess-model.html

    Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
    | Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
    | and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
    | son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...sic-dmca-abuse

    Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

    ..----
    | The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
    | CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
    | widespread criticism from music retailers.
    |
    | The Mail on Sunday revealed yesterday that the 10-track Planet
    | Earth CD will be available with an "imminent" edition, making it
    | the first place in the world to get the album. Planet Earth will go
    | on sale on July 24.
    |
    | "It's all about giving music for the masses and he believes in
    | spreading the music he produces to as many people as possible,"
    | said Mail on Sunday managing director Stephen Miron. "This is the
    | biggest innovation in newspaper promotions in recent times."
    |
    | The paper, which sells more than 2m copies a week, will be ramping
    | up its print run in anticipation of a huge spike in circulation but
    | would not reveal how much the deal with Prince would cost.
    |
    | One music store executive described the plan as "madness" while
    | others said it was a huge insult to an industry battling fierce
    | competition from supermarkets and online stores. Prince's label has
    | cut its ties with the album in the UK to try to appease music
    | stores.
    |
    | The Entertainment Retailers Association said the giveaway "beggars
    | belief". "It would be an insult to all those record stores who have
    | supported Prince throughout his career," ERA co-chairman Paul Quirk
    | told a music conference. "It would be yet another example of the
    | damaging covermount culture which is destroying any perception of
    | value around recorded music.
    |
    | "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince should know that with
    | behaviour like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available
    | in Record Stores. And I say that to all the other artists who may
    | be tempted to dally with the Mail on Sunday."
    |
    | High street music giant HMV was similarly scathing about the plans.
    | Speaking before rumours of a giveaway were confirmed, HMV chief
    | executive Simon Fox said: "I think it would be absolutely nuts. I
    | can't believe the music industry would do it to itself. I simply
    | can't believe it would happen; it would be absolute madness."
    |
    | Prince, whose Purple Rain sold more than 11m copies, also plans to
    | give away a free copy of his latest album with tickets for his
    | forthcoming concerts in London. The singer had signed a global deal
    | for the promotion and distribution of Planet Earth in partnership
    | with Columbia Records, a division of music company Sony BMG. A
    | spokesman for the group said last night that the UK arm of Sony BMG
    | had withdrawn from Prince's global deal and would not distribute
    | the album to UK stores.
    `----

    http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

    Net radio "compromise" hinged on DRM adoption

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As we reported Friday, the looming royalty crunch on Internet radio that
    | would have begun today (July 15) was narrowly averted last week by a
    | temporary reprieve from SoundExchange. Now it appears that a lasting
    | compromise is indeed possible, but such a compromise will likely mean
    | mandatory DRM (Digital Rights Management) for Internet radio. * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-adoption.html

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face PoliceTreatment

    > ISOHunt Begins Blocking US Visitors

    The U.S. needs to be depreciated, or forked and upgraded with a new
    license and maintainer.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    18:38:45 up 48 days, 17:33, 2 users, load average: 0.63, 0.57, 0.40

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face Police Treatment

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 26 September 2007 18:40 : \____

    >> ISOHunt Begins Blocking US Visitors

    > The U.S. needs to be depreciated, or forked and upgraded with a new
    > license and maintainer.

    Wait until Britland gets infected. Solidarity, y'know...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    ..oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
    ..oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
    ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq
    Cpu(s): 27.2%us, 5.0%sy, 1.0%ni, 61.6%id, 4.7%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st

  4. Re: [News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face Police Treatment

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:40:52 +0100
    <56iqs4-gc1.ln1@sky.matrix>:

    >> ISOHunt Begins Blocking US Visitors

    > The U.S. needs to be depreciated, or forked and upgraded with a new
    > license and maintainer.

    Seen our dollar's exchange rate lately? ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- insert random slide here
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }

  5. Re: [News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face PoliceTreatment

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer wrote on Wed, 26
    > Sep 2007 18:40:52 +0100 <56iqs4-gc1.ln1@sky.matrix>:

    >>> ISOHunt Begins Blocking US Visitors

    >> The U.S. needs to be depreciated, or forked and upgraded with a new
    >> license and maintainer.

    > Seen our dollar's exchange rate lately? ;-)

    According to xe.com, one US dollar is worth approximately bugger all.

    Not to worry; I hear they're going to auction Washington DC on eBay.
    After all, they don't really need it any more.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    23:24:58 up 48 days, 22:19, 2 users, load average: 0.80, 0.56, 0.38

  6. Re: [News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face PoliceTreatment

    [H]omer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    >>> The U.S. needs to be depreciated, or forked and upgraded with a new
    >>> license and maintainer.

    >> Seen our dollar's exchange rate lately? ;-)

    > According to xe.com, one US dollar is worth approximately bugger all.
    >
    > Not to worry; I hear they're going to auction Washington DC on eBay.
    > After all, they don't really need it any more.

    my linux distros still cost nil

    Ubuntu still costs nil to individual requestors

    Perhaps the Canadian money will be desired in upstate New York taverns,
    now. Straight across, of course.

  7. Re: [News] [SOT] ISOHunt Crippled, Big Media Thugs Could Face Police Treatment

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    >>> The U.S. needs to be depreciated, or forked and upgraded with a new
    >>> license and maintainer.

    >> Seen our dollar's exchange rate lately? ;-)

    > According to xe.com, one US dollar is worth approximately bugger all.

    I can recall when the rate was $3 = £1. Maybe it's headed that way again..

    > Not to worry; I hear they're going to auction Washington DC on eBay.
    > After all, they don't really need it any more.

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0

+ Reply to Thread