[News] [Rival] Microsoft Might 'Extend' OOXML the Microsoft Way, XPS is the Same Story - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Might 'Extend' OOXML the Microsoft Way, XPS is the Same Story - Linux ; Microsoft won't commit to the open document standard it's pushing so hard ,----[ Quote ] | Now consider this from Brian Jones, a Microsoft manager who has worked on | OOXML for six years. In July, Jones was asked on ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Might 'Extend' OOXML the Microsoft Way, XPS is the Same Story

    Microsoft won't commit to the open document standard it's pushing so hard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now consider this from Brian Jones, a Microsoft manager who has worked on
    | OOXML for six years. In July, Jones was asked on his blog whether Microsoft
    | would actually commit to conform to an officially standardised OOXML. His
    | response:
    |
    | ?It?s hard for Microsoft to commit to what comes out of Ecma [the European
    | standards group that has already OK?d OOXML] in the coming years, because we
    | don?t know what direction they will take the formats. We?ll of course stay
    | active and propose changes based on where we want to go with Office 14. At
    | the end of the day, though, the other Ecma members could decide to take the
    | spec in a completely different direction. ... Since it?s not guaranteed, it
    | would be hard for us to make any sort of official statement.?
    |
    | Now that?s cynical. After all this work to make OOXML a formal, independent
    | standard ? a standard created and promoted by Microsoft, remember ? Microsoft
    | won?t agree to follow it.
    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/storage/fea...85&pagtype=all

    Ecma XML Paper Specification (XPS) Standard: Working Draft 1.0.1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This working draft 1.0.1 "XML Paper Specification" submitted to Ecma TC46 by
    | Microsoft in September 2007 is available in PDF format and XPS format.
    `----

    http://www.activewin.com/awin/commen...ineIndex=40963

    Related:

    Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "This is how a standard is bought," Bosson wrote later. "I left the meeting
    | in protest - pissed off."
    `----

    http://www.betanews.com/article/Evid...tes/1188335569

    Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML - Updated

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He acknowledges that the rules might need to be changed.
    `----

    The OOXML Problem

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Another thing, by introducing a "new fancy" document format, MS can hold a
    | tighter grip round existing customers and get more on the false pretence that
    | they've "opened up". *
    `----

    http://phun-ky.net/2007/08/the-ooxml-problem

    Rejecting OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All the CIOs say they want is XML documents; unfortunately they aren't as
    | aware as Georg Greve, above, that Microsoft's implementation of XML is
    | exceedingly half-hearted. *
    `----

    http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex...ing-ooxml.html

    Interesting headline regarding XPS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is a pessimistic view, of course, but I would love to be proven
    | wrong. That means a fully transparent process where all minutes and
    | group emails are public. This means a full and open plan for the
    | active maintenance of the standard. This means a full description
    | *of how the intellectual property will be be handled for everything
    | necessary to implement the specification. This means a complete
    | implementation for every platform, including Linux and the Mac.
    |
    | That is, the opposite of OOXML.
    `----

    http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1707

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Might 'Extend' OOXML the Microsoft Way, XPS is the Same Story

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:32:44 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft won't commit to the open document standard it's pushing so hard
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Now consider this from Brian Jones, a Microsoft manager who has worked on
    >| OOXML for six years. In July, Jones was asked on his blog whether Microsoft
    >| would actually commit to conform to an officially standardised OOXML. His
    >| response:
    >|
    >| ?It?s hard for Microsoft to commit to what comes out of Ecma [the European
    >| standards group that has already OK?d OOXML] in the coming years, because we
    >| don?t know what direction they will take the formats. We?ll of course stay
    >| active and propose changes based on where we want to go with Office 14. At
    >| the end of the day, though, the other Ecma members could decide to take the
    >| spec in a completely different direction. ... Since it?s not guaranteed, it
    >| would be hard for us to make any sort of official statement.?
    >|
    >| Now that?s cynical. After all this work to make OOXML a formal, independent
    >| standard ? a standard created and promoted by Microsoft, remember ? Microsoft
    >| won?t agree to follow it.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com/storage/fea...85&pagtype=all

    That's funny. Where's the statement that Sun guarantees Star/OpenOffice
    will always conform to ODF? Where's teh statement from the KDE team?
    Where's the statement from IBM?

+ Reply to Thread