[News] New Zealand Awards for Free Software, Haiku Awards Funding for Projects - Linux

  1. [News] New Zealand Awards for Free Software, Haiku Awards Funding for Projects

    New Zealand Open Source Awards 2008 open for nominations

    | New Zealand Open Source Awards 2008 open for nominations The 2008 New Zealand
    | Open Source Awards are open for nominations until 18 July 2008. This year's
    | Awards will focus particularly on achievements over the last twelve months
    | and follow the successful inaugural event in 2007.
    `----

    Haiku Code Drive 2008

    | The Haiku Code Drive is a program designed to raise funds from the community
    | in order to sponsor students to produce code for Haiku. The Haiku Code Drive
    | 2008 program specifically targets student candidates that applied for Haiku
    | but could not make it into the Google Summer of Code. We will be offering
    | them a U$2,500 stipend per successfully completed project.
    `----

    http://www.haiku-os.org/community/haiku-code-drive-2008

    Yesterday:

    Smell the Roses Already: 4 OSs that Should Be Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More often than not, the question arises on OSNews why certain projects or
    | pieces of abandonware aren't released as open source software. Supposedly,
    | this would speed up development, facilitate the growth of a community, all
    | that jazz associated with open source development.
    `----

    http://www.osnews.com/story/19781

    Recent:

    Announcing Freedom Summer of Code

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What is the Freedom Summer of Code?
    |
    | Modeled after the successful Google Summer of Code, the Freedom Summer of
    | Code adds a radical social justice twist. We will be working with select tech
    | activist organizations to generate interesting ideas as well as help people
    | develop several projects over the next three months.
    |
    | The Freedom Summer of Code aims to advance critical movement technology
    | projects and tools that benefit a wide-variety of radical social justice
    | organizations and movements; inspire developers to become more interested in
    | directly participating in social-justice tech organizations; contributes
    | back, for the benefit of all, to the free software world which sustains us
    | while simultaneously honoring individual’s labor; increases the social
    | ownership and democratic control over information, ideas, technology, and the
    | means of communication; empowers organizations and individuals to use
    | technology in struggles for liberation. We are developing software that is
    | geared specifically to the needs of network organizing and democratic
    | collaboration, providing new services that greatly enhance your security and
    | privacy.
    `----

    https://we.riseup.net/fsoc/announcin...summer-of-code

    GNU and FSF News for May 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There has been continued discussion of the GNU Hurd GSoC projects this month.
    | One of the subjects covered is the issue of copyright assignments by the
    | contributors. Sergiu Ivanov announced the availability of an extension module
    | that allows retrieving the uptime of the system and the load averages from
    | Python scripts
    |
    | How you can help: The number of developers working on the Hurd and GNU Mach
    | continues to be small and they could use your help. Check in on the #hurd IRC
    | channel or the bug-hurd mailing list. There should be no trouble finding
    | interesting things to work on.
    `----

    http://www.advogato.org/article/975.html

    Google Summer of Code 2008 Takes 1,125 Developers

    | or Google Summer of Code (SoC) 2008, Google is paying for 1,125 student
    | developers, which is an increase from the 900 students the program took in
    | 2007. Those students will work with 175 Free and Open Source Projects as
    | mentors to help improve and expand their development.
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...-2008-tak.html

  2. Re: [News] New Zealand Awards for Free Software, Haiku Awards Funding for Projects

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:14:00 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > New Zealand Open Source Awards 2008 open for nominations

    I nominate these guys:

    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    Oh, New Zealand you say?

    Change that to these guys:

    http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1/28...ew_Zealand.jpg

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] New Zealand Awards for Free Software, Haiku Awards Funding for Projects

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic