[News] Gaming, Eye Candy and GNU/Linux No Oxymoron - Linux

  1. [News] Gaming, Eye Candy and GNU/Linux No Oxymoron

    No Windows? Use Linux, Intel Macs for PC Gaming with CrossOver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sure, Mac gaming is becoming less of an oxymoron these days, but if you want
    | to game with a keyboard, Windows is still the way to go. Fortunately,
    | Codeweavers' has concocted a solution for those who want the PC gaming
    | experience on Mac (and Linux!) without using Boot Camp or partitioning
    | drives. Introducing CrossOver Games.
    `----

    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/23/no...ith-crossover/
    http://tinyurl.com/3tc2mk

    Ubuntu - On The Shoulders of Giants

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The age of the “Uber Geek” is over, and yet it is many of those Geeks that
    | have been working hard on the things “under the bonnet” in Ubuntu. So
    | suddenly I can install applications at the click of a mouse … no compiling or
    | fiddling around. Those video card effects on windows that I’ve been trying to
    | get to work for years on Linux are suddenly there by default. I just had to
    | update the Nvidia driver and enable because it’s a proprietary driver (not
    | open source).
    `----

    http://djbarney.wordpress.com/2008/0...ers-of-giants/

    Recent:

    FusionCast Episode IV -- Cylinder Cube, etc

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJBPCy2l3g

    Related:

    Linux and Video Game Trends

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recent developments in Linux video games shows a stunning improvement in
    | support, not only by a better library of games for the operating system, but
    | also for games not intended for Linux. Linux may finally gain some publicity
    | if the developers continue to improve not just the video games, but also for
    | the applications needed by the games. * *
    `----

    http://templatekit.com/stuff/2007/07...o-game-trends/

    Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
    | 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
    | of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
    | 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
    `----

    http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...ps-than-vista/

  2. Re: [News] Gaming, Eye Candy and GNU/Linux No Oxymoron

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:01:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

    The word "support" as used by the Linux community means a totally different
    thing than it does in normal day to day operations.

    For example Linux Loon claims : Linux supports the Nvidia XXXYYYY card"

    The real story: Yes, Linux will put a raster on the screen but none of the
    advanced features of the card are supported yet, but full support is coming
    "real soon now".

    Never trust what a Linux advocate says because they will LIE for LIEnix.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Gaming, Eye Candy and GNU/Linux No Oxymoron

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic