[News] European Parliament Criticised for Vendor Lock-in - Linux

  1. [News] European Parliament Criticised for Vendor Lock-in

    Europe By Satellite only for certain people

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In order to find out what your members of European Parliament are doing, you
    | need some special software. Europe by Satellite (EBS) is only for those
    | people who have the right software.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | None of those protocols and file formats are described in specifications,
    | neither they are standardized nor free of patents or other restrictions. Why
    | Europe is choosing technology which is not accessible to everybody,
    | regardless of the platform?
    `----

    http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum...certain-people

    Recent:

    Has the BBC Duped Us over iPlayer?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Totally far-out, man. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY GNU/LINUX VERSION?
    |
    | I wonder how that complaint about the BBC providing state aid to Microsoft is
    | coming along....
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...r-iplayer.html

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Related:

    BBC Director General grilled by MPs on iPlayer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | During the meeting there is discussion of iPlayer’s total cost to the licence
    | fee-payer - the BBC representatives are unable to give a figure, but start
    | the bidding at £20m, excluding staff costs. Thomson gives incorrect
    | information - that Mac and Linux versions of iPlayer have the same
    | functionality as Windows versions - and has to change his evidence at the
    | end. Perhaps it was this confusion that prompted Dr John Pugh MP to follow up
    | the encounter with a letter direct to Mark Thomson today discussing platform
    | neutrality in greater detail. A copy of this letter has been passed to the
    | Open Rights Group. * * * *
    `----

    http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...ps-on-iplayer/

    BBC Corrupted

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft. With
    | today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most basic of
    | duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line distribution
    | of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a Microsoft operating
    | system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin to saying you must
    | own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept the Digital *
    | Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You simply cannot be
    | allowed to be in control of your computer according to the BBC. * * *
    `----

    http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted

    BBC iPlayer Protests

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Who are the people responsible for creating this mess?
    |
    | * * * Mark Thompson, BBC director general (DG)
    | * * * Erik Huggers, group controller at BBC Future Media & Technology
    | * * * Ashley Highfield, director of new media and technology
    |
    | Right now, there is very considerable concern within the BBC that the actions
    | of the Director General and his team are sending the corporation in the wrong
    | direction. The BBC has been embroiled in a number of recent controversies,
    | all linked back to the DG's leadership. *
    `----

    http://www.defectivebydesign.org/iPlayerProtest

    Why Linux Users Should Be Furious At BBC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recently the BBC had a bit of a wake up call regarding numbers and how many
    | Linux users were really out there. Why does any of this matter? It has to do
    | with something the BBC provides called the iPlayer. Seriously, relying on
    | ActiveX is so "1990's" that it's painful, and as luck would have it, the
    | Linux users who wish to use this BBC player made sure that the BBC knew that
    | they were making the sought after content inaccessible to those people using
    | Linux. * * *
    |
    | No iPlayer for Linux Users, But There Will Be An Alternative. Based on what I
    | have been able to gather thus far, it looks like we will see an Adobe Flash
    | option coming out soon. Then again, who really cares? Seriously, if the BBC
    | is this foolish to ignore how much Linux growth is taking place both in the
    | UK as well as the surrounding countries, then maybe people ought to be
    | looking elsewhere? Is it because this is indeed, the BBC? So there is the
    | belief that this is the people's media? Up until now, I enjoyed much of what
    | the BBC had to offer, but this entire thing is enough to have pushed me away. * * *
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...731&Itemid=449

  2. Re: [News] European Parliament Criticised for Vendor Lock-in

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 07:21:46 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    More Re-SPAM from Schestowitz.
    You need some new material Roy.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] European Parliament Criticised for Vendor Lock-in

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic