[News] Out-of-the-box Linux versus XP's Box of Crayons - Linux

  1. [News] Out-of-the-box Linux versus XP's Box of Crayons

    Adventures with open source apps on Linux - Part 1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In this first post I’m going to take a closer look at some of the
    | applications that ship with Ubuntu 8.04 and which are ready to use as soon as
    | you’ve installed and booted into Linux! See, after you’ve install Windows,
    | you’ve got the OS, Notepad, Calculator and a few other bits and pieces. After
    | installing a distro like Ubuntu you’ve got a whole raft of applications at
    | your disposal.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1906

    XP doesn't even come with a spellchecker (list of words). You need to buy
    Office for it. The same goes for Windows servers and Windows hosting (see
    bottom).

    More OSS:

    SugarCRM's Latest Is 'SaaS in a Box'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software as a Service (SaaS) is a wonderful model for enterprises and end
    | users that don't want to deploy software on their own infrastructure. But
    | what happens if you want to set up your own SaaS business and don't want to
    | just pass of customers to a big SaaS vendor?
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/software...S+in+a+Box.htm

    Recent:

    BitRock: Application Installation in a Networked World

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Even better, the Linux support is not limited to the dominant commercial
    | distributions, in Red Hat and SuSE, but is inclusive of Debian, Ubuntu and
    | other commercial and non-commercial variants.
    `----

    http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2008/02/1...tworked-world/

    Bitrock on center stage with its Network Service

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Faster time to Network/market through BitRock should enable more open-source
    | companies to scale revenue faster which, in turn, should result in more
    | open-source code being written. What's not to like?
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9941040-16.html

  2. Re: [News] Out-of-the-box Linux versus XP's Box of Crayons

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 07:16:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Adventures with open source apps on Linux - Part 1

    1. Install Linux.
    2. try Linux.
    3. Dump Linux.
    4. Restore Windows.

    What else do you need to know?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Out-of-the-box Linux versus XP's Box of Crayons

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic