[News] Interview with Leader of the Fedora Project - Linux

  1. [News] Interview with Leader of the Fedora Project

    Exclusive Fedora Interview - With project leader, Paul W. Frields

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This year on May 13th, Fedora 9 was released into the wild. Dubbed Sulphur,
    | it introduced for the first time in the history of Fedora, support for
    | encrypted filesystem (implemented in the graphical installer), PackageKit as
    | the default graphical package manager, ext4 filesystem support and
    | PreUpgrade, a tool that offers you the possibility to upgrade an existing
    | Fedora 7 or 8 distribution. Being classified as a "bleeding edge" distro, and
    | that's ONLY because the developers wanted to inject the brand new edition of
    | the Xserver software (version 1.5), which is not compatible yet with the
    | major proprietary video drivers, Fedora 9 brings you Linux kernel 2.26.25.3,
    | KDE 4.0.3, GNOME 2.22.1, NetworkManager 0.7 with improved support for mobile
    | broadband, multiple devices and wireless networking, Cheese (the popular
    | webcam capture tool), Firefox 3 Beta 5 and a lot more other new applications!
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Exclu...ew-86401.shtml

    Last week:

    Open Source Curriculum Expanded at Seneca

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source
    | solutions, today announced that Seneca College will expand the use of open
    | source software in its curriculum through the Fedora Project, a Red Hat
    | sponsored and community-supported open source collaboration.
    `----

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...78&newsLang=en
    http://tinyurl.com/697tne

    A New Goal for Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With the commitment of the AllemaniACs and others from the Fedora community
    | the Fedora Robotics SIG was recently founded. It aims to make Fedora fit to
    | run on a variety of robots that run (possibly constrained) compatible
    | machines and to use Fedora as a development platform for robots. As always in
    | Fedora, this is a community effort and all help is greatly appreciated and
    | welcomed.
    `----

    http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/05/...r-open-source/

    Related:

    Fedora on the Final Frontier

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There has been a long standing rumor regarding NASA running Fedora which all
    | of us in the Fedora community have been always intrigued by. Is it true? What
    | are they doing with it there? Why don't they run RHEL. Fortunately enough, a
    | couple of weeks ago, I got to experience NASA behind the scenes, first hand,
    | and hang out with the coolest members of the Fedora community, and find out
    | the answer to these questions and lots more. * *
    `----

    http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2008/...-frontier.html

    23,000 Linux PCs forge education revolution in Philippines

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Providing high school students with PCs is seen as a first step to preparing
    | them for a technology-literate future, but in the Philippines many schools
    | cannot afford to provide computing facilities so after a successful
    | deployment of 13,000 Fedora Linux systems from a government grant, plans are
    | underway to roll out another 10,000 based on Ubuntu. * *
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1163450117

  2. Re: [News] Interview with Leader of the Fedora Project

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 07:00:56 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Exclusive Fedora Interview - With project leader, Paul W. Frields

    Has he offered a solution to the many people who are having instability and
    freeze / lock up problems with Fedora 9?

    Or, is that going to be fixed in Fedora 10?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Interview with Leader of the Fedora Project

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic