OT: a.o.l.u - Quackless - Linux

This is a discussion on OT: a.o.l.u - Quackless - Linux ; * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo: > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote: >> The Dilbert people had to create another page for the Linux people because >> the page that works for 99.4 percent of the rest of the earth ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 64 of 64

  1. Re: OT: a.o.l.u - Quackless

    * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> The Dilbert people had to create another page for the Linux people because
    >> the page that works for 99.4 percent of the rest of the earth does NOT work
    >> for the linux people

    > You're weird.
    > If you have a web browser and flash 9, it works.

    I don't have Flash 9 on my 64-bit OS.

    > Irrespective of operating system.
    > However, some of us PREFER to use the static page because flash is overused
    > pointlessly there (not to mention the fact the front page is feckin ugly)

    Flash is often used to prevent you from copying content to play at your
    leisure, I think.

    --
    Intellectual property has the shelf life of a banana.
    -- Bill Gates

  2. Re: OT: a.o.l.u - Quackless

    > Flash is often used to prevent you from copying content to play at
    > your leisure, I think.

    If companies are using Flash for that purpose, then it doesn't work,
    since one can simply use plugins like DownLoadHelper to grab the Flash
    files, then (optionally) convert them using ffmpeg or mencoder.

    Case in point, the MSBBC's iPlayer:

    http://po-ru.com/diary/bbc-iplayer-fix-hacked-again/

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    21:01:33 up 172 days, 17:37, 1 user, load average: 0.30, 0.12, 0.10

  3. Re: OT: a.o.l.u - Quackless

    Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >
    >> Flash is often used to prevent you from copying content to play at
    >> your leisure, I think.

    > If companies are using Flash for that purpose, then it doesn't work,
    > since one can simply use plugins like DownLoadHelper to grab the Flash
    > files, then (optionally) convert them using ffmpeg or mencoder.
    >
    > Case in point, the MSBBC's iPlayer:
    >
    > http://po-ru.com/diary/bbc-iplayer-fix-hacked-again/

    Have a look at the source of the above web page, including the css!
    The man is NOT a fan of MS!

  4. Re: OT: a.o.l.u - Quackless

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:01:12 +0100
    <9e25i5-gkl.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that SomeBloke spake thusly:
    >> Homer wrote:

    >>> http://po-ru.com/diary/bbc-iplayer-fix-hacked-again/
    >>>

    >> Have a look at the source of the above web page, including the css!
    >> The man is NOT a fan of MS!

    > /* IE6 Hack collection
    > *
    > * This file contains hacks exclusively for IE 6; I don't care about
    > * anyone dumb enough still to be using IE5 on Windows. For the future,
    > * who knows what brave new world of brokenness IE 7 will bequeath upon
    > * us poor suffering CSS writers.
    > *
    > */
    >
    > Yup.

    Hmm...I wonder what SilverLight will bring to this mess.
    (I doubt much; I was under the impression that SilverLight
    was to .NET what applets were to Java, with perhaps better
    performance for streaming video.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because vaporware only goes so far.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4