Rare find: a cola "advocate" comes clean - Linux

This is a discussion on Rare find: a cola "advocate" comes clean - Linux ; "As for me, I have problems with Ubuntu on my main machine, and always have. My problems are specific, and they happen with Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu. Strangely, I don't have the same problems with Linux Mint, which is an ...

  1. Rare find: a cola "advocate" comes clean

    "As for me, I have problems with Ubuntu on my main machine, and always
    have. My problems are specific, and they happen with Ubuntu, Kubuntu
    and Xubuntu. Strangely, I don't have the same problems with Linux Mint,
    which is an offshoot. And I only saw minor similarites when Mepis used
    the Ubuntu repositories for awhile.

    Specifically, I get frequent hesitations. The machine doesn't lock up
    per se. It just pauses for a second. Nothing really problematic. But
    something certainly annoying after a couple of days. And it's been
    going on since the very first time I tried Ubuntu, right up to the last
    version (7.whatever). It happens on this machine. It happened on the
    last machine. It happens on the laptop. It happens on the Mac. It also
    happened a little with the persistent drive I used to carry around. I
    dismissed that because I expected most anything I used that way would
    give me similar results (though probably not as pronounced)."

    Gidget, 5-19-08, cola

  2. Re: Rare find: a cola "advocate" comes clean

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 21:01:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "As for me, I have problems with Ubuntu on my main machine, and always
    > have. My problems are specific, and they happen with Ubuntu, Kubuntu
    > and Xubuntu. Strangely, I don't have the same problems with Linux Mint,
    > which is an offshoot. And I only saw minor similarites when Mepis used
    > the Ubuntu repositories for awhile.
    >
    > Specifically, I get frequent hesitations. The machine doesn't lock up
    > per se. It just pauses for a second. Nothing really problematic. But
    > something certainly annoying after a couple of days. And it's been
    > going on since the very first time I tried Ubuntu, right up to the last
    > version (7.whatever). It happens on this machine. It happened on the
    > last machine. It happens on the laptop. It happens on the Mac. It also
    > happened a little with the persistent drive I used to carry around. I
    > dismissed that because I expected most anything I used that way would
    > give me similar results (though probably not as pronounced)."
    >
    > Gidget, 5-19-08, cola

    It's rare but it does happen on occasion.

    Most Linux advocates are good, honest people who acknowledge the advantages
    as well as the faults of Linux and in short have a realistic opinion of
    Linux.

    Then there is comp.os.linux.advocacy where the Linux loons have their heads
    buried and can't come to grips with even the slightest possibility that
    Linux may have some serious problems.

    They are also highly paranoid and apparently terrified of Microsoft for
    some reason.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Rare find: a cola "advocate" comes clean

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: Rare find: a cola "troll" telling truth

    http://tinyurl.com/5lhhfd

    From: Moshe Goldfarb
    Subject: Re: [News] Video Editing on Linux "Surprisingly Robust"
    Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:35:59 -0500

    > The thing is, even if Roy (and to a much larger extent, Rex)
    > post some misleading or incorrect information sometimes, the
    > nuggets of value in their posts far outweigh the nuggets of
    > truth you'll find in all of the COLA trolls combined.

    Nuggets of truth?
    You're kidding, right?
    With Roy Schestowitz and Rex Ballard it's like corn in your ****.
    IOW, the **** usually far outweighs the corn.

    > In fact, sometimes I think it outweighs all the nuggets of
    > COLA troll /****/.

    Hardly.

    Ballard posts more corn in one pile of **** than any human could
    in a month.
    http://tinyurl.com/6hecfx

    Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz
    Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:37:41 +0100

    > He has software that takes RSS feeds, sorts them, searches for
    > certain phrases, makes comments taken from a database and spits
    > out the stuff to every corner of the Internet.

    Unlike you - a troll with a chip on your shoulder who manually
    creates so much ****e aka anti-Roy spam that no-one, that's
    right, NO-ONE wants to read, that you've single-handedly reduced
    the appeal and effectiveness of a newsgroup.

    Please, go create another group and move to it. If you really
    have a voice someone wants to listen to, you'll get them moving
    over to it.

    You can get treatment for obsessive compulsive disorder you know!

    > Then there is comp.os.linux.advocacy where the Linux loons
    > have their heads buried and can't come to grips with even the
    > slightest possibility that Linux may have some serious
    > problems.
    >
    > They are also highly paranoid and apparently terrified of
    > Microsoft for some reason.

    Paranoid? Apparently terrified? ROTFLOL!

    Ubuntu bested both Microsoft Vista and Apple OSX in pwn to own
    hacking contest:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own
    hacking contest

    Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    By Dan Goodin in Vancouver → More by this author
    Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT

    CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the security of
    Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a Windows and Mac
    machine felled, only the Linux box remained standing following
    the three-day competition.
    Debian security is unsurpassed.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  5. Re: Rare find: a cola "troll" telling truth

    Why don't you learn to quote correctly?
    Linonut wrote most of it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Rare find: a cola "troll" telling truth

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  7. Re: Ubuntu Security Beats Micoshaft Vista & Apple OSX

    Moshe Goldfarb schreef:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote following gob****e:
    >>
    >>> They are also highly paranoid and apparently terrified of
    >>> Microsoft for some reason.

    >> Paranoid? Apparently terrified? ROTFLOL!
    >>
    >> Ubuntu bested both Microsoft Vista and Apple OSX in pwn to
    >> own hacking contest:
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista
    >> in Pwn2Own hacking contest
    >>
    >> Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    >> By Dan Goodin in Vancouver → More by this author
    >> Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT
    >>
    >> CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    >> Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    >> machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the
    >> security of Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a
    >> Windows and Mac machine felled, only the Linux box remained
    >> standing following the three-day competition.
    >>
    >> Debian security is unsurpassed.

    > Why don't you learn to quote correctly? Linonut wrote most of
    > it.

    Ubuntu bested both Microsoft Vista and Apple OSX in pwn to own
    hacking contest:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    [real quote]
    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own
    hacking contest

    Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    By Dan Goodin in Vancouver
    Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT

    CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the security of
    Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a Windows and Mac
    machine felled, only the Linux box remained standing following
    the three-day competition.
    [/real quote]

    Debian security is unsurpassed.

    --