[News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist - Linux ; eBayer defends right to re-sell software: [quote] Last fall, Timothy "Happy Hour" Vernor sued Autodesk for $10m, after the software maker barred him from selling second-hand copies of its rather expensive AutoCAD app via eBay. At the time, Vernor was ...

  1. [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist

    eBayer defends right to re-sell software:

    [quote]
    Last fall, Timothy "Happy Hour" Vernor sued Autodesk for $10m, after the
    software maker barred him from selling second-hand copies of its rather
    expensive AutoCAD app via eBay. At the time, Vernor was flying without a
    lawyer. But his case was soon embraced by the legal minds at Public
    Citizen, and on Wednesday, a federal judge told the world that his
    AutoCAD sales are A-OK.

    Vernor hasn't actually won his case - or received damages. But Judge
    Richard Jones has denied Autodesk's motion to dismiss the suit, and with
    this denial, Jones laid down some words that provide some added
    protection for eBay sellers everywhere. Not to mention other
    software-happy net merchants.
    [quote]

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...todesk_ruling/

    Related:

    UMG Says Throwing Away Promo CDs is Illegal:

    In a brief filed in federal court yesterday, Universal Music Group (UMG)
    states that, when it comes to the millions of promotional CDs ("promo
    CDs") that it has sent out to music reviewers, radio stations, DJs, and
    other music industry insiders, throwing them away is "an unauthorized
    distribution" that violates copyright law. Yes, you read that right --
    if you've ever received a promo CD from UMG, and you don't still have
    it, UMG thinks you're a pirate.
    Intellectual Insanity:

    So it is with one particularly virulent strain of oppression called
    "Intellectual Property", or more accurately "Intellectual Monopoly", the
    bastard son of the unholy triumvirate - Copyrights; Patents and Trademarks.

    My attention was recently drawn to one particularly poignant example of
    such oppression, on the Creative Labs message boards. A volunteer, who
    goes by the pseudonym of daniel_k, had succeeded in accomplishing
    something that Creative Labs (with all their resources) apparently could
    not - fully functional X-Fi drivers for Windows Vista. This magnificent
    achievement was subsequently rewarded with a notification to cease and
    desist, accompanied by the veiled threat of litigation.
    http://slated.org/intellectual_insanity

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    21:32:36 up 155 days, 18:08, 5 users, load average: 0.33, 0.25, 0.19

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist

    ____/ Homer on Saturday 24 May 2008 21:32 : \____

    > Yes, you read that right --
    > if you've ever received a promo CD from UMG, and you don't still have
    > it, UMG thinks you're a pirate.

    The biggest 'pirates' are wearing suits and bribing Congress in sophisticated
    ways that make it look benign. We should make room for them in the jail cells
    and free some of these 'thieves' who dare to mod their PVR (true recent story
    from the UK) and install a CLI utility like nmap.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
    06:20:01 up 40 days, 4:32, 4 users, load average: 0.99, 0.75, 1.01

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 06:24:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The biggest 'pirates' are wearing suits and bribing Congress in sophisticated
    > ways that make it look benign. We should make room for them in the jail cells
    > and free some of these 'thieves' who dare to mod their PVR (true recent story
    > from the UK) and install a CLI utility like nmap.

    You're an idiot Schestowitz.
    Your tinfoil suit is on too tight.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  5. Re: [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist

    > The biggest 'pirates' are wearing suits ...

    http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/pirate15.gif

    Arrrgh, me hearty! Surrender the booty!

    --
    "Microsoft has had competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
    museums to document this stuff."

  6. Re: [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist

    Linonut writes:

    >> The biggest 'pirates' are wearing suits ...

    > http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/pirate15.gif
    >
    > Arrrgh, me hearty! Surrender the booty!

    Poor Liarnut. Still thinks he's the group's funny man. Embarrassing to
    say the least.

    --
    "Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
    7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

  7. Re: [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:12:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> The biggest 'pirates' are wearing suits ...

    >> http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/pirate15.gif
    >>
    >> Arrrgh, me hearty! Surrender the booty!

    > Poor Liarnut. Still thinks he's the group's funny man. Embarrassing to
    > say the least.

    I sure hope he doesn't quit his day job and take that act on the road.
    He's not funny, at all.
    Neither is Schestowitz, except when he twitches and writhes like a tard a
    few pills short of his medications.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] [SOT] First-Sale Doctrine defended against Intellectual Monopolist