"Linux crashes, a lot" - Linux

This is a discussion on "Linux crashes, a lot" - Linux ; "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows." http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 99

  1. "Linux crashes, a lot"

    "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far more
    time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

  2. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    "DFS" writes:

    > "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far more
    > time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    > http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    More quotes:

    ,----
    `----

    --
    I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is

  3. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    > more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    > http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    > more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    > http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    That's interesting. I've been running Linux for over five years on a dozen
    machines at home and elsewhere. During that time, I have NEVER seen Linux
    crash short of a hardware problem.

  5. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    Rick wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend
    >> far more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    According to that victim, yes, Linux does crash a lot.

  6. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend
    >> far more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > That's interesting. I've been running Linux for over five years on a
    > dozen machines at home and elsewhere. During that time, I have NEVER
    > seen Linux crash short of a hardware problem.

    So? He and thousands/ maybe millions of others have seen Linux crash
    (crashes include the ubiquitous total system freezes, of course, like those
    seen on Ubuntu).

  7. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:42:16 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far more
    >> time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453
    >>

    > More quotes:
    >
    > ,----
    >| A lot of people put Vista down because it sucks. Im not using it
    >| myself but Vista does at least work. Can you imagine what people would
    >| say if you installed Vista and you didnt have a mouse cursor? Or if
    >| they put out a Live DVD in CD format? Or you were stuck in 800600
    >| mode with a 12801024 monitor? Do you think Vista would get the kind of
    >| positive reviews that Linux gets? I dont think so.
    > `----

    Great find DFS and Hadron!!!

    The truth about Linux and Linux advocacy is coming out, just as predicted.

    Now that more mainstream users are sampling Linux, and hating Linux, the
    real facts about Linux and the suck factor are being spread.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    Clue for flatfish: /m.* goldfarb/i

  9. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    >> more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    Dvorak is mostly an idiot.

    Fedora 8 came out today and quite frankly, it sucks. I'm a
    Fedora user and I run Fedora on about 10 servers right now, including
    this one that hosts Dvorak Uncensored. But even though I'm a fan
    I think that it's time to end the intellectual welfare that all
    the Linux reviewers give it and raise the bar to the same standards
    that commercial software is judged by. What is that standard you ask?
    It's the standard of 'does it work'. My conclusion -
    no - it doesn't.

    Hmmmm. Dvorak expects a /development/ /bleeding-edge/ /beta-test/
    version of an actual /commercial/ product to be the actual /commercial/
    product.

    What a moron. You might as well post Clogwog's inane gigglings.

    Suitable fodder for another moron, of course -- DFS.

    Full disclosure -- I've never used Fedora. The last version of Red Hat
    I installed was 8, IIRC. I'm a Debian guy. I run the latest unstable
    code from Debian and -- guess what? -- it's better software, in general,
    than I've found in the Windows world.

    You may disagree, of course. I then congratulate you on achieving a
    nice Windows experience.

    (Obviously, I'm speaking rhetorically, and not directly to you, Rick.)

    --
    Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic
    competitors and it keeps us on our toes.

  10. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    * ray peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    >> more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > That's interesting. I've been running Linux for over five years on a dozen
    > machines at home and elsewhere. During that time, I have NEVER seen Linux
    > crash short of a hardware problem.

    I've never had Linux crash. I've had a couple kernel panics, with new
    kernels that I had just configured (incorrectly). I've had X freeze up.

    Both problems, easily avoided.

    --
    Programs today get very fat; the enhancements tend to slow the programs down
    because people put in special checks. When they want to add some feature,

  11. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:22:02 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend
    >>> far more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >>> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    >> That's interesting. I've been running Linux for over five years on a
    >> dozen machines at home and elsewhere. During that time, I have NEVER
    >> seen Linux crash short of a hardware problem.

    > So? He and thousands/ maybe millions of others have seen Linux crash
    > (crashes include the ubiquitous total system freezes, of course, like
    > those seen on Ubuntu).

    A "total system freeze" is usually not a Linux crash (Linux is the kernel,
    you know) - it is often an X lockup - I've experienced a few of them and
    they are generally easily cured by a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE logout or a ssh
    login and killing the appropriate process - after which, normal operation
    resumes - but this is not a Linux crash.

  12. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 14:52:55 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    >>> more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >>> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    >> No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    > Dvorak is mostly an idiot.

    Except when Dvork posts a positive Linux piece or an anti-Microsoft piece
    and then he is just dandy.

    It's the both sides of the mouth syndrome that Linux loons seem to have
    mastered.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:

    > >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    > >> more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    > >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > > No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    > Dvorak is mostly an idiot.
    >
    > Fedora 8 came out today and quite frankly, it sucks. I'm a
    > Fedora user and I run Fedora on about 10 servers right now, including
    > this one that hosts Dvorak Uncensored. But even though I'm a fan
    > I think that it's time to end the intellectual welfare that all
    > the Linux reviewers give it and raise the bar to the same standards
    > that commercial software is judged by. What is that standard you ask?
    > It's the standard of 'does it work'. My conclusion -
    > no - it doesn't.
    >
    > Hmmmm. Dvorak expects a /development/ /bleeding-edge/ /beta-test/
    > version of an actual /commercial/ product to be the actual /commercial/
    > product.
    >
    > What a moron. You might as well post Clogwog's inane gigglings.

    Read the byline.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  14. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:19:38 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend
    >>> far more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >>> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    >> No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    > According to that victim, yes, Linux does crash a lot.

    According to this non-victim, it doesn't crash a lot. According to this
    non-victim, it crashes extremely rarely.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 16:32:43 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 14:52:55 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    >> Dvorak is mostly an idiot.

    > Except when Dvork posts a positive Linux piece or an anti-Microsoft
    > piece and then he is just dandy.

    No, when Dvorak gets it right, I, and many others, just marvel at the
    experience.

    > It's the both sides of the mouth syndrome that Linux loons seem to have
    > mastered.

    Linux Loon.. that's someone like you that uses Linux and then disses it.

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 14:52:55 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    >>> more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >>> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    >> No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    > Dvorak is mostly an idiot.
    >
    > Fedora 8 came out today and quite frankly, it sucks. I'm a Fedora user
    > and I run Fedora on about 10 servers right now, including this one that
    > hosts Dvorak Uncensored. But even though I'm a fan I think that it's
    > time to end the intellectual welfare that all the Linux reviewers give
    > it and raise the bar to the same standards that commercial software is
    > judged by. What is that standard you ask? It's the standard of 'does it
    > work'. My conclusion - no - it doesn't.
    >
    > Hmmmm. Dvorak expects a /development/ /bleeding-edge/ /beta-test/ version
    > of an actual /commercial/ product to be the actual /commercial/ product.

    Now, who does that remind you of... Why Quack, of course, who used a
    Debian "Testing" OS & set up a demo in a hotel bedroom the night before.
    He then said that Debian "Stable" isn't stable!

    > What a moron. You might as well post Clogwog's inane gigglings.
    >
    > Suitable fodder for another moron, of course -- DFS.

    Not forgetting Quack.

    > Full disclosure -- I've never used Fedora. The last version of Red Hat I
    > installed was 8, IIRC. I'm a Debian guy. I run the latest unstable code
    > from Debian and -- guess what? -- it's better software, in general, than
    > I've found in the Windows world.
    >
    > You may disagree, of course. I then congratulate you on achieving a nice
    > Windows experience.
    >
    > (Obviously, I'm speaking rhetorically, and not directly to you, Rick.)

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  17. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:22:02 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend
    >>> far more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >>> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    >> That's interesting. I've been running Linux for over five years on a
    >> dozen machines at home and elsewhere. During that time, I have NEVER
    >> seen Linux crash short of a hardware problem.

    > So? He and thousands/ maybe millions of others have seen Linux crash
    > (crashes include the ubiquitous total system freezes, of course, like
    > those seen on Ubuntu).

    So, I, and thousands, maybe million of others have rarely seen Linux
    crash.

    I don't think you can say the same thing about Windows and its users.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:04:30 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    >> more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > That's interesting. I've been running Linux for over five years on a dozen
    > machines at home and elsewhere. During that time, I have NEVER seen Linux
    > crash short of a hardware problem.

    I've run one distro or another for 10 years. The only problems I've had
    with crashing were either hardware trouble, or of my *own* making
    (compiling kernels etc).

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  19. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:20:29 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:22:02 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> That's interesting. I've been running Linux for over five years on a
    >>> dozen machines at home and elsewhere. During that time, I have NEVER
    >>> seen Linux crash short of a hardware problem.

    >> So? He and thousands/ maybe millions of others have seen Linux crash
    >> (crashes include the ubiquitous total system freezes, of course, like
    >> those seen on Ubuntu).

    > A "total system freeze" is usually not a Linux crash (Linux is the kernel,
    > you know) - it is often an X lockup - I've experienced a few of them and
    > they are generally easily cured by a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE logout or a ssh
    > login and killing the appropriate process - after which, normal operation
    > resumes - but this is not a Linux crash.

    Could even be a nVIDIA graphics card driver causing it.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  20. Re: "Vista ME crashes, a lot"

    William Poaster wrote:

    > I've run one distro or another for 10 years. The only problems I've had
    > with crashing were either hardware trouble, or of my own making
    > (compiling kernels etc).

    The truth means nothing to a WinTroll. It's the title of their threads that
    count to them.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"