"Linux crashes, a lot" - Linux

This is a discussion on "Linux crashes, a lot" - Linux ; Andrew Halliwell wrote: > DFS wrote: >> In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows >> reboot. > > And yet 8 out of 10 request it of the user... > Hmmmm... *rubs chin* Why ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 99 of 99

  1. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > DFS wrote:

    >> In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows
    >> reboot.

    > And yet 8 out of 10 request it of the user...
    > Hmmmm... *rubs chin* Why is that?

    I don't know why you lie. That's a question for you, your parents, and a
    shrink.

  2. Re: Google search "windows just crashes"

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Jerry McBride wrote:

    >>> Results 1 - 10 of about 2,670,000 for windows just crashes. (0.27
    >>> seconds)

    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,930,000 for Linux just crashes .
    >>
    >> And with an installed base of less than 1/100th of Windows'

    > Playing the old google game again doofy?
    > You know as well as ANYONE that "linux just crashes" can encompass an
    > entire universe of alternative meanings.
    >
    > "linux just works, windows crashes"
    >
    > will be a match for example.

    "Windows just works, Linux crashes" would match McBride's search, so the
    false positives cancel each other out and we're left with evidence Linux
    blows.

    As if everyone didn't know it already.

    > As would
    >
    > "As I wave goodbye to all the car crashes on the bend I used to live
    > on and move into my new house, I just can't wait to get my linux
    > machine connected to the new broadband line"
    >
    > So just stop it with the useless search crap, eh? Everyone knows it's
    > the most transparent lie you constantly come up with which proves
    > only one thing...
    >
    > Your stupidity for expecting anyone to believe it is unbelievable.

    It's very believable, even if it's just anecdotal. And of course you don't
    say a word to Jerry McBride.

  3. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    "DFS" writes:

    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows
    >>> reboot.

    >> And yet 8 out of 10 request it of the user...
    >> Hmmmm... *rubs chin* Why is that?

    > I don't know why you lie. That's a question for you, your parents, and a
    > shrink.

    Be careful. He does have a degree you know. So he must know what he's
    talking about!

    --
    This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable.

  4. Re: Google search "windows just crashes"

    DFS wrote:
    > It's very believable, even if it's just anecdotal. And of course you don't
    > say a word to Jerry McBride.

    I didn't notice that one until I'd posted...
    So shame on you too jerry.
    But as for you Doofy...
    You've used the google argument lots of times over the past 4 years.
    So you were the one who deserved all the scorn. You just demonstrated a
    total inability to learn. Either that, or just posting to cause trouble.

    I wonder which... probably both in your case.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    DFS wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows
    >>> reboot.

    >> And yet 8 out of 10 request it of the user...
    >> Hmmmm... *rubs chin* Why is that?

    > I don't know why you lie. That's a question for you, your parents, and a
    > shrink.

    Every 3rd party update (and most microsoft ones) on windows I've seen has
    said "windows will reboot now" or asks the user if he wants to.

    If that's no longer the case... Well, tough, we can only talk about our own
    experiences.

    SO, are you claiming that software updates DON'T either demand a reboot or
    ask the user if he wants to anymore?

  6. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > I'd say it depends on the hardware. I wish I could find it
    > but a GCC segv during kernel rebuilds used to be mentioned
    > in a FAQ as being the result of a too-low power supply.

    Or faulty memory or an overheating CPU.
    In fact, a multiple branched looping kernel compile was used to test linux
    systems over night where I used to work. using the -j 10 to ensure maximum
    memory and system load. If the compile failed it indicated a hardware
    problem that warranted extra investigation.

  7. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    >>> And yet 8 out of 10 request it of the user...
    >>> Hmmmm... *rubs chin* Why is that?

    >> I don't know why you lie. That's a question for you, your parents, and a
    >> shrink.

    > Every 3rd party update (and most microsoft ones) on windows I've seen has
    > said "windows will reboot now" or asks the user if he wants to.
    >
    > If that's no longer the case... Well, tough, we can only talk about our own
    > experiences.
    >
    > SO, are you claiming that software updates DON'T either demand a reboot or
    > ask the user if he wants to anymore?

    My question is simply "so what". It takes about 2 minutes. Is it ideal?
    No. Do the benefits of using SW targeted at XP outweigh any minor
    downtime? It would seem so ....

    --
    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our

  8. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    >>> And yet 8 out of 10 request it of the user...
    >>> Hmmmm... *rubs chin* Why is that?

    >> I don't know why you lie. That's a question for you, your parents,
    >> and a shrink.

    > Every 3rd party update (and most microsoft ones) on windows I've seen
    > has said "windows will reboot now" or asks the user if he wants to.
    >
    > If that's no longer the case... Well, tough, we can only talk about
    > our own experiences.
    >
    > SO, are you claiming that software updates DON'T either demand a
    > reboot or ask the user if he wants to anymore?

    This isn't that difficult, lamer:

    "In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows
    reboot."

  9. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    "DFS" writes:

    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> I don't know why you lie. That's a question for you, your parents,
    >>> and a shrink.

    >> Every 3rd party update (and most microsoft ones) on windows I've seen
    >> has said "windows will reboot now" or asks the user if he wants to.
    >>
    >> If that's no longer the case... Well, tough, we can only talk about
    >> our own experiences.
    >>
    >> SO, are you claiming that software updates DON'T either demand a
    >> reboot or ask the user if he wants to anymore?

    > This isn't that difficult, lamer:
    >
    > "In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows
    > reboot."

    Halliwell really is unable to read. Sometimes his replies seem to bear
    no similarity to what went before. He is a classic case of mouth in
    motion before brain is in gear.

    --
    Bwahahahahahahahah - Anyone else think that this announcement from the MS
    marketing machine was anything other than a last ditch attempt to try and

  10. Re: Google search "windows just crashes"

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> It's very believable, even if it's just anecdotal. And of course
    >> you don't say a word to Jerry McBride.

    > I didn't notice that one until I'd posted...
    > So shame on you too jerry.

    Spare us your silly admonishments, net-nanny.

    > But as for you Doofy...
    > You've used the google argument lots of times over the past 4 years.

    And rightly so. It's the best place to find evidence of how cruddy Linux
    is.

    When a bunch of fools say "Linux just works!" I can find thousands more who
    say it just doesn't.

  11. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:15:06 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    >>> And yet 8 out of 10 request it of the user...
    >>> Hmmmm... *rubs chin* Why is that?

    >> I don't know why you lie. That's a question for you, your parents, and a
    >> shrink.

    > Every 3rd party update (and most microsoft ones) on windows I've seen has
    > said "windows will reboot now" or asks the user if he wants to.
    >
    > If that's no longer the case... Well, tough, we can only talk about our own
    > experiences.
    >
    > SO, are you claiming that software updates DON'T either demand a reboot or
    > ask the user if he wants to anymore?

    So it's a 2 minute reboot for Windows vs having to use crap Linux slopware
    24x7.

    I'll wait the 2 minutes thank you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  12. Re: Google search "windows just crashes"

    DFS wrote:
    > And rightly so. It's the best place to find evidence of how cruddy Linux
    > is.

    Thought as much.
    Not read a WORD I said.
    What evidence? Fool.

    Googling "linux just crashes" isn't evidence of anything but your own
    ignorance of the most basic google usage.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  13. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    DFS wrote:
    > This isn't that difficult, lamer:
    >
    > "In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows
    > reboot."

    I didn't ask that, did I.
    I don't give a damn if it "Requires" a reboot.
    DO they ASK the USER if HE wants to REBOOT even if they DON'T demand it?

    Because the users you claim find linux too hard are just as likely to take
    the "do you want to reboot now?" as a prompt TO reboot.

    GODS your thick.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  14. Re: Google search "windows just crashes"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:14:10 +0100
    <2kjii5-ofl.ln1@ponder.sky.com>:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> And rightly so. It's the best place to find evidence of how cruddy Linux
    >> is.

    > Thought as much.
    > Not read a WORD I said.
    > What evidence? Fool.
    >
    > Googling "linux just crashes" isn't evidence of anything but your own
    > ignorance of the most basic google usage.

    Considering Linux the kernel *does* crash (actually,
    a call to panic()) if it can't find sh or init[*],
    one could say there's a kernel of truth here, but way
    away from the intent of the notion, which appears to be
    that a Linux-based solution is far more unstable than a
    Windows-based one -- which I for one cannot support as
    a notion, absent further data, and it may depend on what
    solution one is considering.

    The same could be said of NTOSKRNL.EXE or FreeBSD's kernel,
    whatever its name is, if either one can't find its support
    files/areas.
    [*] there are a few technical issues here if one is using
    a distro with initrd. Properly set up, such a distro
    won't panic as Linux will readily find what it needs within
    the initrd, but might ask some questions as to where to
    find the system root disk -- questions that aren't asked
    by Linux per se, but by the init script (I don't know its
    exact name, and it may depend on distro) somewhere in the
    initrd image.

    If the bootscript finds the root, of course, it will do
    a pivot() and continue the boot process. In Gentoo, the
    boot line includes real_root= to tell the bootscript where
    to look.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  15. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:16:23 +0100
    <7ojii5-ofl.ln1@ponder.sky.com>:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> This isn't that difficult, lamer:
    >>
    >> "In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows
    >> reboot."

    > I didn't ask that, did I.
    > I don't give a damn if it "Requires" a reboot.
    > DO they ASK the USER if HE wants to REBOOT even if they DON'T demand it?

    AFAIK, the Windows user [+] is always asked via a dialog,
    if the installer thinks a reboot is needed (which is not
    necessarily the same as whether one really is needed;
    most installers are a little conservative about it).
    It will not reboot on its own without authorization
    (someone has to click). One may have a minor problem if
    one does not reboot; I'll admit I have no idea whether two
    or more installs both requiring reboots will have problems
    in their "safe copy areas", or wherever they put their
    pending updates. The registry of course contains info --
    somewhere -- on where to copy these files during system
    restart, and the startup sequence includes processing
    that info.

    The actual phrasing of that dialog is along the lines of

    "Windows requires a reboot to finish the installation."

    [reboot now] [reboot later]

    though it presumably depends on installer, installer script, etc.

    For its part Linux reboot requirements are rare, and that's
    because Linux filesystems look at the world in an entirely
    different fashion. Briefly put, one reason Windows needs
    pending updates to be installed during the next system boot
    is because Windows NTFS locks executable files and DLLs; a
    process cannot replace them. Linux can't either, really,
    but Linux *can* delete the entries in the directories
    to those files, place new entries in the directories,
    or simply replace existing entries; the old file is still
    available to those processes initially opening it, though
    the new file will be opened by subsequent processes.[*]

    A daemon restart (not a system restart) will close that old
    file, releasing its storage, and load the new one, if all
    goes well. Daemon restarts are not quite as disruptive as,
    nor do they take as long as, system restarts, though restarting
    Apache or JBoss might confuse things for session-oriented
    server users trying to get work done through their browsers.

    But so would a system restart. ;-)

    > Because the users you claim find linux too hard are just as likely to take
    > the "do you want to reboot now?" as a prompt TO reboot.
    >
    > GODS your thick.

    It does get subtle. ;-)

    [+] actually, the system administrator, but a lot of
    Windows systems are set up a little sloppily regarding
    the differentiation of same.
    [*] to be pedantic about it, a rename() will replace the
    inode entry, which is all a directory has anyway, along
    with the name; the actual inode contains pointers to
    the blocks with the data. The actual directory lock is
    very brief. A usecount within the inode will indicate
    whether it is still in use; if 0, the space will be
    reclaimed and only then the inode deleted.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    to fix your Windows problems?

  16. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:15:06 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    > > DFS wrote:

    > >> I don't know why you lie. That's a question for you, your parents, and a
    > >> shrink.

    > > Every 3rd party update (and most microsoft ones) on windows I've seen has
    > > said "windows will reboot now" or asks the user if he wants to.
    > >
    > > If that's no longer the case... Well, tough, we can only talk about our own
    > > experiences.
    > >
    > > SO, are you claiming that software updates DON'T either demand a reboot or
    > > ask the user if he wants to anymore?

    > So it's a 2 minute reboot for Windows vs having to use crap Linux slopware
    > 24x7.
    >
    > I'll wait the 2 minutes thank you.

    _One_ two minute reboot per week drops you below the 'four nines' uptime
    metric (99.98%). In production systems, that is an issue.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian paul@hovnanian.com
    Have gnu, will travel.

  17. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:02:13 -0700, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    >>> Every 3rd party update (and most microsoft ones) on windows I've seen has
    >>> said "windows will reboot now" or asks the user if he wants to.
    >>>
    >>> If that's no longer the case... Well, tough, we can only talk about our own
    >>> experiences.
    >>>
    >>> SO, are you claiming that software updates DON'T either demand a reboot or
    >>> ask the user if he wants to anymore?

    >> So it's a 2 minute reboot for Windows vs having to use crap Linux slopware
    >> 24x7.
    >>
    >> I'll wait the 2 minutes thank you.
    >>

    > _One_ two minute reboot per week drops you below the 'four nines' uptime
    > metric (99.98%). In production systems, that is an issue.

    Production systems also tend to not install every update that comes along.
    They look and see what applies, what problems they might be having that may
    be fixed and act appropriately.
    More often than not it follows the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    methodology.

    It's the home users that are patch crazy.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:02:13 -0700, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

    > >> So it's a 2 minute reboot for Windows vs having to use crap Linux slopware
    > >> 24x7.
    > >>
    > >> I'll wait the 2 minutes thank you.
    > >>

    > > _One_ two minute reboot per week drops you below the 'four nines' uptime
    > > metric (99.98%). In production systems, that is an issue.

    > Production systems also tend to not install every update that comes along.
    > They look and see what applies, what problems they might be having that may
    > be fixed and act appropriately.
    > More often than not it follows the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    > methodology.

    Production systems are more likely to be kept corrent with security
    patches than home systems.
    Given competent administration, that is. I used to work at an outfit
    with multiple flavors of *NIX and Windows systems when it got hit by the
    Code Red virus (I was a UNIX admin. among other things at the time).

    The Windows admins refused to believe that systems that were not running
    IIS web servers could have been infected (the infection was spread via
    buffer overflow http requests). So they never applied IIS security
    patches. This in spite of the fact that they used web based
    adminitration tools to manage their systems. What did they think was
    handling the administration pages?

    Windows has got so many interlocking dependencies that its difficult to
    tell which patches apply and which don't. Microsoft didn't even know.

    So now, they apply everything that comes along.

    > It's the home users that are patch crazy.

    Not really. Most of the home systems I've seen are about one service
    pack behind.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.

  19. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:55:12 -0700, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    > Production systems are more likely to be kept corrent with security
    > patches than home systems.
    > Given competent administration, that is. I used to work at an outfit
    > with multiple flavors of *NIX and Windows systems when it got hit by the
    > Code Red virus (I was a UNIX admin. among other things at the time).
    >
    > The Windows admins refused to believe that systems that were not running
    > IIS web servers could have been infected (the infection was spread via
    > buffer overflow http requests). So they never applied IIS security
    > patches. This in spite of the fact that they used web based
    > adminitration tools to manage their systems. What did they think was
    > handling the administration pages?

    Sadly the IT field is riddled with incompetent people and it seems to be
    getting worse.

    > Windows has got so many interlocking dependencies that its difficult to
    > tell which patches apply and which don't. Microsoft didn't even know.

    I tend to agree that with Windows and Microsoft software in general the
    descriptions of what the patches do is sometimes very vague.
    Also, they can't possibly test every combination of software/hardware with
    the patch so it gets even more risky.

    > So now, they apply everything that comes along.

    A bad approach IMHO.
    Still though, you can get separate patches but you have to know what you
    are looking for and that is not always easy.

    IBM does it the right way with their AS/400 line.
    They have single PTF's (patches) and then they have a CUM which is a
    cumulative patch including all the previous ones.
    All patches are described in detail as well.
    I'm sure they don't let on to everything but most of the important stuff is
    described.

    >> It's the home users that are patch crazy.

    > Not really. Most of the home systems I've seen are about one service
    > pack behind.

    By patch crazy I mean that every time something new comes along the home
    users install it willy nilly without regards to the implications.
    IOW they don't read the instructions.

    Most systems I have seen have auto system updates enabled which of course
    is crazy.