"Linux crashes, a lot" - Linux

This is a discussion on "Linux crashes, a lot" - Linux ; * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo: > In article , > Linonut wrote: >> > >> >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far >> >> more time keeping Linux going than I ...

  1. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    >> > No, it doesn't crash a lot.

    >> Dvorak is mostly an idiot.
    >>
    >> Fedora 8 came out today and quite frankly, it sucks. I'm a
    >> Fedora user and I run Fedora on about 10 servers right now, including
    >> this one that hosts Dvorak Uncensored. But even though I'm a fan
    >> I think that it's time to end the intellectual welfare that all
    >> the Linux reviewers give it and raise the bar to the same standards
    >> that commercial software is judged by. What is that standard you ask?
    >> It's the standard of 'does it work'. My conclusion -
    >> no - it doesn't.
    >>
    >> Hmmmm. Dvorak expects a /development/ /bleeding-edge/ /beta-test/
    >> version of an actual /commercial/ product to be the actual /commercial/
    >> product.
    >>
    >> What a moron. You might as well post Clogwog's inane gigglings.

    > Read the byline.

    Posted by mperkel in General

    Wow. So Dvorak allows other readers to post under his large banner,
    'Dvorak Uncensored", with a small notice like that?

    Frankly, Tim, that article might as well have been posted by Dvorak.

    It's a bit like the editor of a collection of articles. The editor
    chooses what gets printed. Maybe you have some inside information,
    but that's what this looks like to me. Either Dvorak is uncritical
    in what he allows to be posted, or he shares the idiotic views of
    the author. Looking a bit closer, it may be that, once you get a login,
    you can post what you want to.

    Here's a good example of the quality of post you can find at "Dvorak
    Uncensored":

    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/

    Cat Is Run Over, Then Turns Into Woman Who Is Promptly Beaten By A
    Mob
    Published on May 24th, 2008
    Posted by Uncle Dave in General

    From the you-just-can\u2019t-make-up-crap-like-this department.

    Cat turns into woman in P/Harcourt

    WHAT could be described as a fairy tale turned real on
    Wednesday in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, as a cat allegedly
    turned into a middle-aged woman after being hit by a
    commercial motorcycle (Okada) on Aba/Port Harcourt
    Expressway.

    --
    Gary Kildall was one of the original pioneers of the PC revolution. He was a
    very creative computer scientist who did excellent work. Although we were

  2. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 14:52:55 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmmmm. Dvorak expects a /development/ /bleeding-edge/ /beta-test/ version
    >> of an actual /commercial/ product to be the actual /commercial/ product.

    > Now, who does that remind you of... Why Quack, of course, who used a
    > Debian "Testing" OS & set up a demo in a hotel bedroom the night before.
    > He then said that Debian "Stable" isn't stable!
    >
    >> What a moron. You might as well post Clogwog's inane gigglings.
    >>
    >> Suitable fodder for another moron, of course -- DFS.

    > Not forgetting Quack.

    Actually, my comment about "might as well post Clogwog's inane
    gigglings" is even more on target than I could have imagined.

    Apparently anyone can post anything at "Dvorak Uncensored". Here's
    one:

    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/

    Family Jewels Whacked 34 Times in 31 Seconds
    Published on May 24th, 2008
    Posted by hhopper in Video

    It's YouTube video of a collection of video clips showing 34 whacks to
    various people's crotches.

    Quality stuff at Dvorak Uncensored.

    --
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't
    lose.

  3. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 01:31:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 May 2008 21:03:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

    >>> 86 pages of discussion about Feisty 7.04 freezing up
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125
    >>>
    >>> 65 pages of discussion about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>>
    >>> 12 pages of discussion about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >> OK DooFuS - a Linux system can indeed lock up.

    > huh?
    >
    > "Linux just works!" thousands of Linux liars "Linux is perfect for
    > laptops, desktops and servers." www.ubuntu.com/

    Yes, Linux just works. Some of the installed apps are less than perfect.
    What part of that can't you grasp?

    >> That does not mean it is a Linux (kernel) crash - huge difference.

    > I never said it was the same. But who cares whether it's a kernel panic
    > or a frozen machine? To the user it's just as troublesome.

    It's no trouble at all, generally - as previously explained - a lot less
    troublesome than an MS BSOD!

    >> I've already explained

    > raytard, the only thing you need to explain is the truth about the
    > hassles you endured installing and configuring and supporting those
    > Linux library systems you told us about 100+ times.

    What hassles? None but the occasional hardware glitch - like finding out
    on of the latest replacements came with a bad hard drive.

    >> how most of them can be rectified.

    > wipe Linux
    > install Windows

    Then the REAL problems begin. I don't do MS - primarily because when
    something is wrong it's such a bitch to troubleshoot. At least Linux
    systems can be fixed easily if there is an issue.

  4. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    ray writes:

    > On Sun, 25 May 2008 01:31:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> OK DooFuS - a Linux system can indeed lock up.

    >> huh?
    >>
    >> "Linux just works!" thousands of Linux liars "Linux is perfect for
    >> laptops, desktops and servers." www.ubuntu.com/

    > Yes, Linux just works. Some of the installed apps are less than perfect.
    > What part of that can't you grasp?

    He can. What he can not understand are all the idiost here so claim that
    there are no problems.

    Oh, hang on. Linux is good - it does not, however, "just work". There
    are loads of documented problems. Why not go down to the local library
    and google the issues up? You dont get it - DFS is anti COLA 'tards and
    their lies and bull****. This group does more harm than good in the
    Linux advocacy stakes. The Ubuntu forums and groups got infiltrated by
    the COLA tards so I moved to Debian. It is *excellent* as a general rule
    - a lot of apps are second rate rubbish however.

    >>> That does not mean it is a Linux (kernel) crash - huge difference.

    >> I never said it was the same. But who cares whether it's a kernel panic
    >> or a frozen machine? To the user it's just as troublesome.

    > It's no trouble at all, generally - as previously explained - a lot less
    > troublesome than an MS BSOD!

    What MS BSOD? I used NT/XP for years programming in C/C++ at the GUI
    level and my machines was running SQL Server and Oracle amongst other
    things. I can not recall a single BSOD. The odd app froze but that
    happens when playing flash in Iceweasel all the time under Debian too.

    >>> I've already explained

    >> raytard, the only thing you need to explain is the truth about the
    >> hassles you endured installing and configuring and supporting those
    >> Linux library systems you told us about 100+ times.

    > What hassles? None but the occasional hardware glitch - like finding out
    > on of the latest replacements came with a bad hard drive.

    Interesting. I only ever read about "bad hard disks" in COLA. I wonder
    why that is?

  5. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    William Poaster wrote:

    > The DFS troll also believes that just because one distro has a
    > problem, *every* Linux distro has it. Which just shows that he's NO
    > idea about Linux, & is just trolling.

    RedHat: "I have a PC with RedHat Linux installed...at regular times, weekly
    exactly the same time!, the PC 'freezes'? ... There's nothing I can do at
    that moment besides a hardware reboot."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...reezes-601972/

    Debian Etch: "I installed debian etch. Ran fine for a while, then the same
    freezing problem."
    #148 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=15

    Suse 10.3: "Last few days I have been confronted with a weird behavior of my
    SUSE 10.3 system. Several time a day all of the sudden it freezes. Then I
    have to reboot ... "
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    Slackware 12.0: "Bit worrisome this. I have had two system freezes today on
    my new Slackware 12 installation."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    Mint 4.0: "So I switched [from Gentoo] to Linux Mint 4.0 and in the last 3
    days I have had 2 system freezes."
    http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic...freezes#p67069

    PCLinuxOS: "About 4 times each day, the whole system freezes up."
    1st post at http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=35878.0

    DreamLinux: "...I clicked on PLAY for one of the sounds and the entire
    system froze."
    http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,1217.0.html

    Mandriva 2008: "...did a clean install of Mandriva 2008 and it has been
    freezing a lot, regardless of what i am doing."
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic....3a9dc185854a5a

    Sabayon: "...took 27hrs to install.....till I try to do anything......next
    thing my task bar disappears...my program selector disappears...I do
    anything....it freezes up solid.."
    http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/vi...freezes#p67138

    ArchLinux: "I have Asus A6M Q0050 and last three weeks I experience random
    freezes."

    CentOS 5.1: "It just simply freezes."
    http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...forumpost37948

    Ubuntu 8.04: "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP
    WARNING!!! Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total
    lockups."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996

    Fedora 8: "I've been having frequent lock-ups with Fedora 8 for some days."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

    Puppy: "The whole system freezes after a short time."
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550

  6. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 10:10:56 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Dvorak is mostly an idiot.
    >>>
    >>> Fedora 8 came out today and quite frankly, it sucks. I'm a Fedora
    >>> user and I run Fedora on about 10 servers right now, including this
    >>> one that hosts Dvorak Uncensored. But even though I'm a fan I think
    >>> that it's time to end the intellectual welfare that all the Linux
    >>> reviewers give it and raise the bar to the same standards that
    >>> commercial software is judged by. What is that standard you ask?
    >>> It's the standard of 'does it work'. My conclusion - no - it
    >>> doesn't.
    >>>
    >>> Hmmmm. Dvorak expects a /development/ /bleeding-edge/ /beta-test/
    >>> version of an actual /commercial/ product to be the actual /commercial/
    >>> product.
    >>>
    >>> What a moron. You might as well post Clogwog's inane gigglings.

    >> Read the byline.

    > Posted by mperkel in General
    >
    > Wow. So Dvorak allows other readers to post under his large banner,
    > 'Dvorak Uncensored", with a small notice like that?
    >
    > Frankly, Tim, that article might as well have been posted by Dvorak.
    >
    > It's a bit like the editor of a collection of articles. The editor
    > chooses what gets printed. Maybe you have some inside information, but
    > that's what this looks like to me. Either Dvorak is uncritical in what he
    > allows to be posted, or he shares the idiotic views of the author.
    > Looking a bit closer, it may be that, once you get a login, you can post
    > what you want to.
    >
    > Here's a good example of the quality of post you can find at "Dvorak
    > Uncensored":
    >
    > http://www.dvorak.org/blog/
    >
    > Cat Is Run Over, Then Turns Into Woman Who Is Promptly Beaten By A Mob
    > Published on May 24th, 2008
    > Posted by Uncle Dave in General
    >
    > From the you-just-can\u2019t-make-up-crap-like-this department.
    >
    > Cat turns into woman in P/Harcourt
    >
    > WHAT could be described as a fairy tale turned real on Wednesday in
    > Port Harcourt, Rivers State, as a cat allegedly turned into a
    > middle-aged woman after being hit by a commercial motorcycle (Okada) on
    > Aba/Port Harcourt Expressway.

    That's about the wintrolls intelligence level. They probably believe that
    too.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  7. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On May 24, 11:37 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far more
    > time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    See one of the comments:

    """ It’s interesting that you only note only your monitor hardware,
    which likely has no bearing on graphics issues you experienced. What
    WOULD have is your graphics card, the brand and specs of which you
    failed to mention.

    I bet your card is Nvidia or ATI; am I correct? You do understand why
    these graphics card manufacters’ products may cause issues with *FREE*
    and open source software, right? (Although ATI, kudos to them, has
    opened up their specs so you can bet there will be much better out-of-
    the-box support for ATI cards in the months ahead across all Linux
    distributions!) """

    While his statements are true and correct, it MAKES NO SENSE to common
    PC users - they don't ****ing care what brand their hardwares are,
    supported or not, they just want the OS to work, and if the OS doesn't
    work for whatever reaons, then it sucks.

    Conclusion: linux sucks

  8. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 11:02:23 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> The DFS troll also believes that just because one distro has a
    >> problem, *every* Linux distro has it. Which just shows that he's NO
    >> idea about Linux, & is just trolling.

    > RedHat: "I have a PC with RedHat Linux installed...at regular times, weekly
    > exactly the same time!, the PC 'freezes'? ... There's nothing I can do at
    > that moment besides a hardware reboot."
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...reezes-601972/
    >
    > Debian Etch: "I installed debian etch. Ran fine for a while, then the same
    > freezing problem."
    > #148 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=15
    >
    > Suse 10.3: "Last few days I have been confronted with a weird behavior of my
    > SUSE 10.3 system. Several time a day all of the sudden it freezes. Then I
    > have to reboot ... "
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes
    >
    > Slackware 12.0: "Bit worrisome this. I have had two system freezes today on
    > my new Slackware 12 installation."
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes
    >
    > Mint 4.0: "So I switched [from Gentoo] to Linux Mint 4.0 and in the last 3
    > days I have had 2 system freezes."
    > http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic...freezes#p67069
    >
    > PCLinuxOS: "About 4 times each day, the whole system freezes up."
    > 1st post at http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=35878.0
    >
    > DreamLinux: "...I clicked on PLAY for one of the sounds and the entire
    > system froze."
    > http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,1217.0.html
    >
    > Mandriva 2008: "...did a clean install of Mandriva 2008 and it has been
    > freezing a lot, regardless of what i am doing."
    > http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic....3a9dc185854a5a
    >
    > Sabayon: "...took 27hrs to install.....till I try to do anything......next
    > thing my task bar disappears...my program selector disappears...I do
    > anything....it freezes up solid.."
    > http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/vi...freezes#p67138
    >
    > ArchLinux: "I have Asus A6M Q0050 and last three weeks I experience random
    > freezes."
    > http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44765
    >
    > CentOS 5.1: "It just simply freezes."
    > http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...forumpost37948
    >
    > Ubuntu 8.04: "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP
    > WARNING!!! Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total
    > lockups."
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996
    >
    > Fedora 8: "I've been having frequent lock-ups with Fedora 8 for some days."
    > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes
    >
    > Puppy: "The whole system freezes after a short time."
    > http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550

    Vicious attack!
    Hahaha!

    Confronting the Linux loons with facts is the perfect method for observing
    them sticking their heads in the sand, or Roy's ass depending on whether
    they are hungry or not.

    What I predicted years ago is finally coming to pass and that is when more
    mainstream people start using Linux the bugs, warts and problems are going
    to start to be talked about instead of hidden and denied buy the Linux
    Loons.

    And they won't be able to quash it like they did in the past with the old
    "works for me" crap.
    Using that line just makes them look even worse.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: "Linux doesn't a lot"

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 16:35:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:

    >>> huh?
    >>>
    >>> "Linux just works!" thousands of Linux liars "Linux is perfect for
    >>> laptops, desktops and servers." www.ubuntu.com/

    >> Yes, Linux just works. Some of the installed apps are less than
    >> perfect. What part of that can't you grasp?

    > He can. What he can not understand are all the idiost here so claim that
    > there are no problems.

    I highly doubt that any Linux user here thinks, or says, that Linux and
    OSS have nn problems. That is you dishonest invention.

    > Oh, hang on. Linux is good - it does not, however, "just work". There

    Then by what seems to be your definition of "just works", nothing does.

    > are loads of documented problems. Why not go down to the local library
    > and google the issues up? You dont get it - DFS is anti COLA 'tards and
    > their lies and bull****. This group does more harm than good in the
    > Linux advocacy stakes. The Ubuntu forums and groups got infiltrated by
    > the COLA tards so I moved to Debian. It is *excellent* as a general rule
    > - a lot of apps are second rate rubbish however.

    So, you switched distros because of people posting to Usenet? Are you
    retarded? You do know there are community forums that are moderated,
    don't you. You do know that a much larger number of "average" users
    needing help look there than Usenet, don't you?

    >>> I never said it was the same. But who cares whether it's a kernel
    >>> panic or a frozen machine? To the user it's just as troublesome.

    >> It's no trouble at all, generally - as previously explained - a lot
    >> less troublesome than an MS BSOD!

    > What MS BSOD? I used NT/XP for years programming in C/C++ at the GUI
    > level and my machines was running SQL Server and Oracle amongst other
    > things. I can not recall a single BSOD. The odd app froze but that
    > happens when playing flash in Iceweasel all the time under Debian too.

    So, Windows doesn't "just work" either...

    >>> raytard, the only thing you need to explain is the truth about the
    >>> hassles you endured installing and configuring and supporting those
    >>> Linux library systems you told us about 100+ times.

    >> What hassles? None but the occasional hardware glitch - like finding
    >> out on of the latest replacements came with a bad hard drive.

    > Interesting. I only ever read about "bad hard disks" in COLA. I wonder
    > why that is?

    .... this is all you read?

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    "Rick" stated in post
    48udnVc2ns_UlaTVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@supernews.com on 5/24/08 11:33 PM:

    > On Sun, 25 May 2008 01:19:47 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> A mere pittance compared to complaints about Windows.

    >> You'll have to bring some evidence - that you didn't cite any in the
    >> first place belies your claim.

    > The sky is blue.

    Often it is blacks with shiny little dots.

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  12. Re: "Linux doesn't a lot"

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 11:05:35 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 May 2008 16:35:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> Yes, Linux just works. Some of the installed apps are less than
    >>> perfect. What part of that can't you grasp?

    >> He can. What he can not understand are all the idiost here so claim that
    >> there are no problems.

    > I highly doubt that any Linux user here thinks, or says, that Linux and
    > OSS have nn problems. That is you dishonest invention.
    >

    >> Oh, hang on. Linux is good - it does not, however, "just work". There

    > Then by what seems to be your definition of "just works", nothing does.
    >

    >> are loads of documented problems. Why not go down to the local library
    >> and google the issues up? You dont get it - DFS is anti COLA 'tards and
    >> their lies and bull****. This group does more harm than good in the
    >> Linux advocacy stakes. The Ubuntu forums and groups got infiltrated by
    >> the COLA tards so I moved to Debian. It is *excellent* as a general rule
    >> - a lot of apps are second rate rubbish however.

    > So, you switched distros because of people posting to Usenet? Are you
    > retarded? You do know there are community forums that are moderated, don't
    > you. You do know that a much larger number of "average" users needing help
    > look there than Usenet, don't you?

    It's scream isn't it. Quack changed distros because of people posting to
    a Usenet group. His excuse? It "got infiltrated by the COLA tards",
    What utter bull****. Some of the regular posters in a.o.l.u found out what
    he was, & either binned him or laughed him out of the group.
    But of courtse Quack blames anything else but *himself*.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  13. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    Rick wrote:

    > I highly doubt that any Linux user here thinks, or says, that Linux
    > and OSS have nn problems. That is you dishonest invention.

    nospam from alt.os.linux.ubuntu said a couple days ago: " I have no
    problems. Works flawlessly since I installed it."

    lying raytard from cola said "What hassles? None but the occasional hardware
    glitch..."

    The lying wacks at www.ubuntu.com have the nerve to say Ubuntu is "perfect
    for laptops, desktops and servers." A class-action suit is in order, and
    would have been filed if the "community" didn't donate gigantic amounts of
    Linux welfare, in the form of positive reviews far too generous for the
    quality of the crapware code.

    Ever looked at something like Dia or OpenOffice Base? Just bad jokes
    parading as software. If MS had released such stinkers they'd be laughed
    out of the room.

    > So, Windows doesn't "just work" either...

    And nobody I've ever seen here or anywhere else has ever claimed "Windows
    just works" which means no bugs whatsoever. You only hear stupidity like
    that from Linux liars.

  14. Re: "Linux doesn't crash a lot"

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:19:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> I highly doubt that any Linux user here thinks, or says, that Linux and
    >> OSS have nn problems. That is you dishonest invention.

    > nospam from alt.os.linux.ubuntu said a couple days ago: " I have no
    > problems. Works flawlessly since I installed it."

    .... and it may well have worked flawlessly for him.

    > lying raytard from cola said "What hassles? None but the occasional
    > hardware glitch..."

    .... and you show your bigotry with this statement. No use replying to it.

    > The lying wacks at www.ubuntu.com have the nerve to say Ubuntu is
    > "perfect for laptops, desktops and servers."

    MArketing, just like any other marketing that says something is perfect,
    get a grip.

    > A class-action suit is in order,

    yeah, they keep getting filed against Microsoft...

    > and would have been filed if the "community" didn't donate
    > gigantic amounts of Linux welfare, in the form of positive reviews far
    > too generous for the quality of the crapware code.
    >
    > Ever looked at something like Dia or OpenOffice Base? Just bad jokes
    > parading as software. If MS had released such stinkers they'd be
    > laughed out of the room.

    Your dishonest bigotry is showing again.

    >> So, Windows doesn't "just work" either...

    > And nobody I've ever seen here or anywhere else has ever claimed
    > "Windows just works" which means no bugs whatsoever. You only hear
    > stupidity like that from Linux liars.

    WHay are you such a bigoted, dishonest git?

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    * AqD peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On May 24, 11:37 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far more
    >> time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > While his statements are true and correct, it MAKES NO SENSE to common
    > PC users - they don't ****ing care what brand their hardwares are,
    > supported or not, they just want the OS to work, and if the OS doesn't
    > work for whatever reaons, then it sucks.
    >
    > Conclusion: linux sucks

    Then why doesn't that apply to Windows, which screws up far more often
    than it should, given that it is supposedly /supported/ not only by each
    vendor, but the most powerful consumer computer monopoly in the world?

    And why doesn't it apply to misleading postes such as you and DFS?

    --
    If you show people the problems and you show people the solutions they will be
    moved to act.

  16. Google search "windows just crashes"

    DFS wrote:

    > "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    > more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    > http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,670,000 for windows just crashes. (0.27 seconds)

    Windows... the originator of "just crashes"

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  17. Re: Google search "windows just crashes"

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend
    >> far more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > Results 1 - 10 of about 2,670,000 for windows just crashes. (0.27
    > seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,930,000 for Linux just crashes .

    And with an installed base of less than 1/100th of Windows', this anecdotal
    evidence suggests Linux crashes at least 50x more often than Windows. It's
    clear which is the crashing/freezing/hanging/locking/time
    wasting/update-breaking/crapware nightmare.

    > Windows... the originator of "just crashes"

    Linux... now owns that dubious honor.

  18. Re: "Vista ME crashes, a lot"

    Linonut wrote:

    > Then why doesn't that apply to Windows, which screws up far more often
    > than it should, given that it is supposedly supported not only by each
    > vendor, but the most powerful consumer computer monopoly in the world?

    Because reboots have become a part of the normal operating procedure in
    Windows. Anti-Spyware updated... reboot. Anti-Virus updated... reboot.
    Microsoft Security update... reboot. Computer freezes... reboot. BSOD...
    reboot.

    At work, the Help Desk always suggests that users reboot XP at least once a
    day. The first question is always... "did you reboot your computer yet?"
    It's like they're saying, "How do you expect it to work if you aren't
    regularly rebooting?"

    And this is XP, not Vista ME.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  19. Re: Google search "windows just crashes"

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 10:46:50 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Linux crashes, a lot. Many applications don't always work. I spend far
    >> more time keeping Linux going than I ever did with Windows."
    >> http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    > Results 1 - 10 of about 2,670,000 for windows just crashes. (0.27 seconds)
    >

    > Windows... the originator of "just crashes"

    M$ should patent it, & BSODs too while they're at it, as they're both
    Windoze "features".

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  20. Re: "Linux crashes, a lot"

    RonB wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Then why doesn't that apply to Windows, which screws up far more
    >> often than it should, given that it is supposedly supported not only
    >> by each vendor, but the most powerful consumer computer monopoly in
    >> the world?

    > Because reboots have become a part of the normal operating procedure
    > in Windows. Anti-Spyware updated... reboot. Anti-Virus updated...
    > reboot. Microsoft Security update... reboot. Computer freezes...
    > reboot. BSOD... reboot.

    In my experience, maybe 2 in 10 installs or updates require a Windows
    reboot.

    > At work, the Help Desk always suggests that users reboot XP at least
    > once a day. The first question is always... "did you reboot your
    > computer yet?" It's like they're saying, "How do you expect it to
    > work if you aren't regularly rebooting?"

    Once a day? But cola idiot and braindead liar WRonG previously claimed:
    "Not if they're braindead and like rebooting [Windows] twenty times a day."

    > And this is XP, not Vista ME.

    Except for the aforementioned very infrequent install/reboots, my XP system
    at stays up as long as I leave it running. It has never BSOD
    or full-locked once in nearly 3 years.

    On the other hand:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 64,500 for Linux spontaneously reboots (a rate
    approx 50x the Windows' rate)

    Ubuntu: reboot required 24x per day: #41 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=5

    Ubuntu: freeze, reboot, freeze, reinstall, freeze, reinstall, freeze,
    reinstall Windows and no problems
    #46 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=5

    Reboot mysteriously fixes Linux memory errors:
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso..._uptime_a.html

    Reboot required to change a Linux video driver:
    http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Mepis_reboot.png

    Or when the screen goes blank for no reason (which started happening to me
    when I logged out of a KDE session in StartCom EL5)

    Or when Suse decides to choke: "Every now and then my CD/DVD drive will not
    eject. This seems to happen after having used K3B and closing the drive with
    no CD/DVD mounted. It seems that only a reboot fixes it." thread on
    alt.os.linux.suse