Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property" - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property" - Linux ; http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance Throughout the open source world, all possible care is taken to respect intellectual property rights. The interesting part is here however: In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal concerns, Canonical will assume your legal defence, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

  1. Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"



    http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance

    Throughout the open source world, all possible care is taken to respect
    intellectual property rights.



    The interesting part is here however:

    In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal concerns,
    Canonical will assume your legal defence, pay all legal defence costs, and
    pay any resulting damages judgement or settlement, for any claim brought
    against you worldwide by any third party for alleged intellectual property
    rights infringement due to your use of Ubuntu software provided to you
    under certain Canonical Services and Support agreements. Intellectual
    property rights include patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secret.

    This indemnification is not applicable to users of Ubuntu who do not have a
    specific agreement in place with Canonical covering their usage of Ubuntu.

    Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser of
    $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in the 12
    months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you. (What a
    deal!!!)

    You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against you.
    (What a deal!!!)



    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  2. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    Ezekiel wrote:

    >
    >
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance
    >
    > Throughout the open source world, all possible care is taken to respect
    > intellectual property rights.
    >

    >
    >
    > The interesting part is here however:
    >
    > In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal concerns,
    > Canonical will assume your legal defence, pay all legal defence costs, and
    > pay any resulting damages judgement or settlement, for any claim brought
    > against you worldwide by any third party for alleged intellectual property
    > rights infringement due to your use of Ubuntu software provided to you
    > under certain Canonical Services and Support agreements. Intellectual
    > property rights include patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secret.
    >
    > This indemnification is not applicable to users of Ubuntu who do not have
    > a specific agreement in place with Canonical covering their usage of
    > Ubuntu.
    >
    > Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser of
    > $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in the 12
    > months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you. (What a
    > deal!!!)
    >
    > You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    > Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against you.
    > (What a deal!!!)
    >
    >
    >
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


    Do you really think that intellecctual property rights can be flouted with
    impunity? You seem to fail to understand that where copyright exists ( and
    it always exists unless the holder explicitly places his/her materiel in
    the public domain) there can always be the risk of infringement, even
    unintentionaly.

  3. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    SomeBloke wrote:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    > Do you really think that intellecctual property rights can be flouted
    > with impunity?


    Do you really think the "Ezekiel" nym-shifting fsckwit troll is worth
    reading and responding-to?

  4. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    chrisv writes:

    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you really think that intellecctual property rights can be flouted
    >> with impunity?

    >
    > Do you really think the "Ezekiel" nym-shifting fsckwit troll is worth
    > reading and responding-to?


    Do you really think for one minute anyone gives a monkey's uncle what
    you think?

    --
    I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is
    sufficient for so many casual users.... I just don't see it taking off.
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in advocacy

  5. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    chrisv wrote:
    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you really think that intellecctual property rights can be flouted
    >> with impunity?

    >
    > Do you really think the "Ezekiel" nym-shifting fsckwit troll is worth
    > reading and responding-to?


    Zeke's interesting to read, and is much more worthy of responding to than
    you could ever hope to be, little creep.



  6. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    Hadron wrote:

    > I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    > there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is
    > sufficient for so many casual users.... I just don't see it taking off.
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in
    > advocacy



    These .sigs tell just about everything you need to know about cola lusers:

    * wrong about everything in computing
    * irrational hatred of MS
    * irrational, unjustifiable belief in Linux




  7. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:41:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance
    > Throughout the open source world, all possible care is taken to respect
    > intellectual property rights.
    >

    >
    >
    > The interesting part is here however:
    >
    > In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal
    > concerns, Canonical will assume your legal defence, pay all legal
    > defence costs, and pay any resulting damages judgement or settlement,
    > for any claim brought against you worldwide by any third party for
    > alleged intellectual property rights infringement due to your use of
    > Ubuntu software provided to you under certain Canonical Services and
    > Support agreements. Intellectual property rights include patents,
    > copyrights, trademarks and trade secret.
    >
    > This indemnification is not applicable to users of Ubuntu who do not
    > have a specific agreement in place with Canonical covering their usage
    > of Ubuntu.
    >
    > Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser of
    > $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in the
    > 12 months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you. (What
    > a deal!!!)
    >
    > You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    > Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against you.
    > (What a deal!!!)
    >
    >

    Why do you care?


    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:41:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance
    > Throughout the open source world, all possible care is taken to respect
    > intellectual property rights.
    >

    >
    >
    > The interesting part is here however:
    >
    > In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal
    > concerns, Canonical will assume your legal defence, pay all legal
    > defence costs, and pay any resulting damages judgement or settlement,
    > for any claim brought against you worldwide by any third party for
    > alleged intellectual property rights infringement due to your use of
    > Ubuntu software provided to you under certain Canonical Services and
    > Support agreements. Intellectual property rights include patents,
    > copyrights, trademarks and trade secret.
    >
    > This indemnification is not applicable to users of Ubuntu who do not
    > have a specific agreement in place with Canonical covering their usage
    > of Ubuntu.
    >
    > Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser of
    > $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in the
    > 12 months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you. (What
    > a deal!!!)
    >
    > You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    > Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against you.
    > (What a deal!!!)
    >
    >
    >
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


    OK - and your point would be . . .?

  9. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"


    "ray" wrote in message
    news:69r060F33b78aU4@mid.individual.net...
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:41:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance
    >> Throughout the open source world, all possible care is taken to respect
    >> intellectual property rights.
    >>

    >>
    >>
    >> The interesting part is here however:
    >>
    >> In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal
    >> concerns, Canonical will assume your legal defence, pay all legal
    >> defence costs, and pay any resulting damages judgement or settlement,
    >> for any claim brought against you worldwide by any third party for
    >> alleged intellectual property rights infringement due to your use of
    >> Ubuntu software provided to you under certain Canonical Services and
    >> Support agreements. Intellectual property rights include patents,
    >> copyrights, trademarks and trade secret.
    >>
    >> This indemnification is not applicable to users of Ubuntu who do not
    >> have a specific agreement in place with Canonical covering their usage
    >> of Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser of
    >> $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in the
    >> 12 months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you. (What
    >> a deal!!!)
    >>
    >> You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    >> Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against you.
    >> (What a deal!!!)
    >>

    >
    > OK - and your point would be . . .?


    It's more on-topic than the dozens of Zune posts from Schestowitz.


    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  10. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"


    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:48udnS82ns_416XVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:41:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance
    >> Throughout the open source world, all possible care is taken to respect
    >> intellectual property rights.
    >>

    >>
    >>
    >> The interesting part is here however:
    >>
    >> In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal
    >> concerns, Canonical will assume your legal defence, pay all legal
    >> defence costs, and pay any resulting damages judgement or settlement,
    >> for any claim brought against you worldwide by any third party for
    >> alleged intellectual property rights infringement due to your use of
    >> Ubuntu software provided to you under certain Canonical Services and
    >> Support agreements. Intellectual property rights include patents,
    >> copyrights, trademarks and trade secret.
    >>
    >> This indemnification is not applicable to users of Ubuntu who do not
    >> have a specific agreement in place with Canonical covering their usage
    >> of Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser of
    >> $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in the
    >> 12 months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you. (What
    >> a deal!!!)
    >>
    >> You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    >> Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against you.
    >> (What a deal!!!)
    >>
    >>



    > Why do you care?


    I have my reasons.

    Why are you such a moron?


    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  11. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:41:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:


    >> Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the
    >> lesser of $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with
    >> Canonical in the 12 months preceding the date a claim is first
    >> brought against you. (What a deal!!!)
    >>
    >> You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services
    >> and Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim
    >> against you. (What a deal!!!)

    >
    > OK - and your point would be . . .?


    My point - if I may - would be that Ubuntu makes you pay a lot for their
    crapware, in exchange for small amounts of indemnity coverage.




  12. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 16:05:14 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:


    > Do you really think that intellecctual property rights can be flouted with
    > impunity? You seem to fail to understand that where copyright exists ( and
    > it always exists unless the holder explicitly places his/her materiel in
    > the public domain) there can always be the risk of infringement, even
    > unintentionaly.


    Why not ask the super Linux advocate Mark Kent?
    He seems to be an expert in intellectual property.


    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."

    Mark Kent
    Head of Technology Strategy

    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products

    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    Moshe Goldfarb (flatfish) in real life Gary Stewart

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar
    * Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups
    * Frequently cross posts articles originally not posted to COLA

    --
    Clue for flatfish: /m.* goldfarb/i

    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  14. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:19:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:48udnS82ns_416XVnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:41:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance Throughout the
    >>> open source world, all possible care is taken to respect intellectual
    >>> property rights.
    >>>

    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The interesting part is here however:
    >>>
    >>> In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal
    >>> concerns, Canonical will assume your legal defence, pay all legal
    >>> defence costs, and pay any resulting damages judgement or settlement,
    >>> for any claim brought against you worldwide by any third party for
    >>> alleged intellectual property rights infringement due to your use of
    >>> Ubuntu software provided to you under certain Canonical Services and
    >>> Support agreements. Intellectual property rights include patents,
    >>> copyrights, trademarks and trade secret.
    >>>
    >>> This indemnification is not applicable to users of Ubuntu who do not
    >>> have a specific agreement in place with Canonical covering their usage
    >>> of Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser
    >>> of $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in
    >>> the 12 months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you.
    >>> (What a deal!!!)
    >>>
    >>> You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    >>> Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against
    >>> you. (What a deal!!!)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >
    >> Why do you care?

    >
    > I have my reasons.


    yeah. Right.

    >
    > Why are you such a moron?
    >

    Your premise is flawed, so your question cannot be answered.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    DFS wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    >> there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is
    >> sufficient for so many casual users.... I just don't see it taking off.
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in
    >> advocacy

    >
    >
    > These .sigs tell just about everything you need to know about cola lusers:
    >
    > * wrong about everything in computing
    > * irrational hatred of MS
    > * irrational, unjustifiable belief in Linux


    Oh Daffy, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. You always come out with
    the biggest pile of steaming statistics!

  16. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    * SomeBloke peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/paid/assurance
    >>
    >> The interesting part is here however:
    >>
    >> In order to allow you to deploy Ubuntu without complicated legal concerns,
    >> Canonical will assume your legal defence, pay all legal defence costs, and
    >> pay any resulting damages judgement or settlement, for any claim brought
    >> against you worldwide by any third party for alleged intellectual property
    >> rights infringement due to your use of Ubuntu software provided to you
    >> under certain Canonical Services and Support agreements. Intellectual
    >> property rights include patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secret.
    >>
    >> This indemnification is not applicable to users of Ubuntu who do not have
    >> a specific agreement in place with Canonical covering their usage of
    >> Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser of
    >> $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in the 12
    >> months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you. (What a
    >> deal!!!)
    >>
    >> You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    >> Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against you.
    >> (What a deal!!!)


    It's insurance Zeke. Ever heard of insurance?

    > Do you really think that intellecctual property rights can be flouted with
    > impunity? You seem to fail to understand that where copyright exists ( and
    > it always exists unless the holder explicitly places his/her materiel in
    > the public domain) there can always be the risk of infringement, even
    > unintentionaly.


    I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Zeke posts. If he's correct,
    it's an accident.

    --
    To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit
    different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's
    imagination -- and the Macintosh, of all the machines I've ever seen, is the
    only one that meets that standard.
    -- Bill Gates

  17. Re: Ubuntu believes in "Intellectual Property"

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 13:24:19 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:41:08 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    >
    >>> Aggregate indemnity payments made to you will be capped at the lesser
    >>> of $2.0 million, or 200% of your aggregate spending with Canonical in
    >>> the 12 months preceding the date a claim is first brought against you.
    >>> (What a deal!!!)
    >>>
    >>> You must have purchased a minimum of $15,000 in Canonical Services and
    >>> Support during the twelve month period preceding any claim against
    >>> you. (What a deal!!!)

    >>
    >> OK - and your point would be . . .?

    >
    > My point - if I may - would be that Ubuntu makes you pay a lot for their
    > crapware, in exchange for small amounts of indemnity coverage.


    No, they've not yet made me pay for anything! In fact, they keep sending
    me free discs!

+ Reply to Thread