Free as in Free Milk - Linux

This is a discussion on Free as in Free Milk - Linux ; http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...s_in_free_milk Microsoft's business practices in developing countries PDF download link: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2319/pdf I googled for "free as in free milk", and there was a bbc.co.uk link that brought up an EXTREMELY intrusive ad that pretend to scan my Windows XP system ...

  1. Free as in Free Milk

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...s_in_free_milk

    Microsoft's business practices in developing countries

    PDF download link: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2319/pdf

    I googled for "free as in free milk", and there was a bbc.co.uk link
    that brought up an EXTREMELY intrusive ad that pretend to scan my
    Windows XP system (on my Linux box, yeah, right, peckawoods), so be
    careful. The advertising on the link above is irritating enough.

    Anyway, a little taste of the article:

    In 1977 a boycott campaign was launched against Nestlé to protest for
    its marketing of breast milk substitutes. To make a long story short,
    Nestlé's commercial agents in developing countries gave free
    samples of the infant formula to mothers shortly after they had given
    birth. They would shamelessly lie to them about the alleged
    advantages of the substitute product over breast milk, encouraging
    them not to breastfeed their babies. Since lactation is interrupted
    if the mother doesn't breastfeed for several days, this forced a
    dependency on the substitute: when the mother ran out of free samples
    she found out that she couldn't breastfeed her child any more,
    and had to buy more infant formula.

    . . .

    The boycott campaign finally led the World Health Organization to
    establish an International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk
    Substitutes, which forbids most marketing strategies for breast milk
    substitutes. The case was so clear that public opinion turned against
    the big corporation from the beginning, and, even though now and then
    the issue arises again, Nestlé has tried by all means to clean its
    image.

    So think twice before you suck the Microsoft teat.

    --
    There never was a chip, it is said, that Bill Gates couldn't slow down with a
    new batch of features.

  2. Re: Free as in Free Milk

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:wJVZj.16342$Xv3.1256@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
    > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...s_in_free_milk
    >
    > In 1977 a boycott campaign was launched against Nestlé to protest
    > for...

    So the retard finds a 30+ year old story, adds 2+2 together and comes up 6
    then tries to spin this into some sort of anti-MS tirade.

    > So think twice before you suck the Microsoft teat.

    How many times do you think before you suck on Roy Schestowitz?

  3. Re: Free as in Free Milk

    Linonut wrote:

    > In 1977 a boycott campaign was launched against Nestlé to protest for
    > its marketing of breast milk substitutes. To make a long story short,
    > Nestlé's commercial agents in developing countries gave free
    > samples of the infant formula to mothers shortly after they had given
    > birth. They would shamelessly lie to them about the alleged
    > advantages of the substitute product over breast milk, encouraging
    > them not to breastfeed their babies. Since lactation is interrupted
    > if the mother doesn't breastfeed for several days, this forced a
    > dependency on the substitute: when the mother ran out of free samples
    > she found out that she couldn't breastfeed her child any more,
    > and had to buy more infant formula.

    Many thanks for that post and the links, 'nut. It's a case of "I wish
    I'd said that", in that I was aware of the case, but not the details.

    There was (IIRC) a little bit more to it, in that:-

    - The breast-feeding mothers were already providing a superb diet for
    there youngsters, perfectly formulated, completely free, always at the
    right temperature, and most importantly almost perfectly sterile (one
    might say virus-free!)
    To advocate formula without proper sterilising equipment and clean water
    was at least irresponsible, and in my view culpable.

    - Because of the *cost* of this stuff, and as you say the dependance as
    the breast-milk dried up, many of the women involved diluted the
    formula more and more (often with contaminated water, note!) which
    meant that there was an increase in infant malnutrition.

    It is interesting to note that in the UK, women were "pressured" *not*
    to breast feed in the 1970's and later. This seems to have happened as
    births became increasingly to take place in hospital, and presumably
    benefitted the staff.
    Thankfully, the tide has turned on this, and over the past couple of
    decades, bottle-feeding has become more and more a case of second-best
    as the benfits to both mother and child have become clearer.

    I'm just surprised to find that the culprit was Nestle, and that I can't
    put quite *all* of the ills of the world at the door of the Yanks:-)
    (That said though, another case of corporatism....)

  4. Re: Free as in Free Milk

    bbgruff wrote:

    > and that I can't put quite *all* of the ills of the world at the door of
    > the Yanks:-)

    Though you blatantly want to.

  5. Re: Free as in Free Milk

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 10:44:36 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:wJVZj.16342$Xv3.1256@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...s_in_free_milk
    >>
    >> In 1977 a boycott campaign was launched against Nestlé to protest
    >> for...

    > So the retard finds a 30+ year old story, adds 2+2 together and comes up 6
    > then tries to spin this into some sort of anti-MS tirade.
    >

    >> So think twice before you suck the Microsoft teat.

    > How many times do you think before you suck on Roy Schestowitz?

    I think Linonut is in the middle of taking his final exam at the
    Schestowitz Skool of SPAMMING and disinformation.

    Looks like he might be getting his certificate!

    Congratulations Linonut!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Free as in Free Milk

    On 2008-05-24, bbgruff wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> In 1977 a boycott campaign was launched against Nestlé to protest for
    >> its marketing of breast milk substitutes. To make a long story short,
    >> Nestlé's commercial agents in developing countries gave free
    >> samples of the infant formula to mothers shortly after they had given
    >> birth. They would shamelessly lie to them about the alleged
    >> advantages of the substitute product over breast milk, encouraging
    >> them not to breastfeed their babies. Since lactation is interrupted
    >> if the mother doesn't breastfeed for several days, this forced a
    >> dependency on the substitute: when the mother ran out of free samples
    >> she found out that she couldn't breastfeed her child any more,
    >> and had to buy more infant formula.

    > Many thanks for that post and the links, 'nut. It's a case of "I wish
    > I'd said that", in that I was aware of the case, but not the details.
    >
    > There was (IIRC) a little bit more to it, in that:-
    >
    > - The breast-feeding mothers were already providing a superb diet for
    > there youngsters, perfectly formulated, completely free, always at the
    > right temperature, and most importantly almost perfectly sterile (one
    > might say virus-free!)

    ....it's even worse/better than that.

    Mother's milk also contains the mother's antibodies. There
    is considerable immunological benefit to breastmilk. That's
    one of the reasons that it became trendy to breastfeed in
    the West again.

    > To advocate formula without proper sterilising equipment and clean water
    > was at least irresponsible, and in my view culpable.
    >
    > - Because of the *cost* of this stuff, and as you say the dependance as
    > the breast-milk dried up, many of the women involved diluted the
    > formula more and more (often with contaminated water, note!) which
    > meant that there was an increase in infant malnutrition.
    >
    > It is interesting to note that in the UK, women were "pressured" *not*
    > to breast feed in the 1970's and later. This seems to have happened as
    > births became increasingly to take place in hospital, and presumably
    > benefitted the staff.
    > Thankfully, the tide has turned on this, and over the past couple of
    > decades, bottle-feeding has become more and more a case of second-best
    > as the benfits to both mother and child have become clearer.
    >
    > I'm just surprised to find that the culprit was Nestle, and that I can't
    > put quite *all* of the ills of the world at the door of the Yanks:-)
    > (That said though, another case of corporatism....)

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

  7. Re: Free as in Free Milk

    On 2008-05-24, DFS wrote:
    > bbgruff wrote:
    >
    >> and that I can't put quite *all* of the ills of the world at the door of
    >> the Yanks:-)

    > Though you blatantly want to.

    The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

    Americans didn't suddenly pop out of nowhere some day like some sort of
    big bang...

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \
    both at the same time was something worth patenting.

  8. Re: Free as in Free Milk

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> - The breast-feeding mothers were already providing a superb diet for
    >> there youngsters, perfectly formulated, completely free, always at the
    >> right temperature, and most importantly almost perfectly sterile (one
    >> might say virus-free!)

    > ...it's even worse/better than that.
    >
    > Mother's milk also contains the mother's antibodies. There
    > is considerable immunological benefit to breastmilk. That's
    > one of the reasons that it became trendy to breastfeed in
    > the West again.

    Oh indeed:-)

    With respect to Free software, Linux in particular, there seems to be an
    attitude amongst detractors that "You only get what you pay for", and "If
    it's free, it mustn't be as good as something that costs a lot"
    Also, of course, that the individual(s) cannot hope to compete with, let alone
    better, the products of multi-national corporations.

    If nothing else, I believe that we have shown here an example that runs
    counter to that argument?:-)

  9. Re: Free as in Free Milk

    On May 24, 10:36 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...s_in_free_milk
    >
    > Microsoft's business practices in developing countries
    >
    > PDF download link: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2319/pdf

    It's a good strategy and has been proved very successful here. If you
    don't want them to dominate in another market, just ask RedHat or
    Novell to do the same.

+ Reply to Thread