Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care......... - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care......... - Linux ; "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. . > > http://www.applematters.com/article/...eems-to-care1/ > > " The general consensus seems to be that Mac users are the sort who want > the best in quality, no expenses spared; Windows users are those who're ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

  1. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    > http://www.applematters.com/article/...eems-to-care1/
    >
    > " The general consensus seems to be that Mac users are the sort who want
    > the best in quality, no expenses spared; Windows users are those who're
    > looking for the best bang for their buck (generally in the short term);
    > and
    > Linux users are the ones who want everything for free, particularly
    > software."
    >
    > " Some Linux users are easily dazzled by superfluous and completely
    > useless
    > effects (wobbly windows, blatant overuse of transparency, etc.) and assume
    > that it must be better than Mac OS X because it's so cosmetically made-up
    > and then there are others who only need the Terminal and can keep typing
    > on
    > it whole day long."
    >
    > " The problem with the Linux community is that, like any community, it has
    > members with widely varying interests and preferences and the open source
    > developers are developing hundreds of distributions to try and cater to
    > every single whim and fancy of these members.

    This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.

    John

  2. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    In article ,
    "John Slade" wrote:

    > "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > >
    > > http://www.applematters.com/article/...-seems-to-care
    > > 1/
    > >
    > > " The general consensus seems to be that Mac users are the sort who want
    > > the best in quality, no expenses spared; Windows users are those who're
    > > looking for the best bang for their buck (generally in the short term);
    > > and
    > > Linux users are the ones who want everything for free, particularly
    > > software."
    > >
    > > " Some Linux users are easily dazzled by superfluous and completely
    > > useless
    > > effects (wobbly windows, blatant overuse of transparency, etc.) and assume
    > > that it must be better than Mac OS X because it's so cosmetically made-up
    > > and then there are others who only need the Terminal and can keep typing
    > > on
    > > it whole day long."
    > >
    > > " The problem with the Linux community is that, like any community, it has
    > > members with widely varying interests and preferences and the open source
    > > developers are developing hundreds of distributions to try and cater to
    > > every single whim and fancy of these members.

    > This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    > Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    > branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.

    And yet, Mac OS X share of internet browsing -- a reasonable measure of
    what people are actually using -- continues to rise.

    <http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...&qpct=4&qptime
    frame=M&qpsp=88&qpnp=25>

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

  3. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:07:59 -0700, Alan Baker wrote
    (in article
    ):

    > In article ,
    > "John Slade" wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> http://www.applematters.com/article/...y-seems-to-car
    >>> e
    >>> 1/
    >>>
    >>> " The general consensus seems to be that Mac users are the sort who want
    >>> the best in quality, no expenses spared; Windows users are those who're
    >>> looking for the best bang for their buck (generally in the short term);
    >>> and
    >>> Linux users are the ones who want everything for free, particularly
    >>> software."
    >>>
    >>> " Some Linux users are easily dazzled by superfluous and completely
    >>> useless
    >>> effects (wobbly windows, blatant overuse of transparency, etc.) and assume
    >>> that it must be better than Mac OS X because it's so cosmetically made-up
    >>> and then there are others who only need the Terminal and can keep typing
    >>> on
    >>> it whole day long."
    >>>
    >>> " The problem with the Linux community is that, like any community, it has
    >>> members with widely varying interests and preferences and the open source
    >>> developers are developing hundreds of distributions to try and cater to
    >>> every single whim and fancy of these members.

    >> This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    >> Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    >> branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.

    > And yet, Mac OS X share of internet browsing -- a reasonable measure of
    > what people are actually using -- continues to rise.
    >
    > <http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...&qpct=4&qptime
    > frame=M&qpsp=88&qpnp=25>

    Slade can't hear you. He's kill-filed about 90% of everybody on this NG.

  4. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:04:58 -0700, John Slade wrote:

    > "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >>
    >> http://www.applematters.com/article/...eems-to-care1/
    >>
    >> " The general consensus seems to be that Mac users are the sort who want
    >> the best in quality, no expenses spared; Windows users are those who're
    >> looking for the best bang for their buck (generally in the short term);
    >> and
    >> Linux users are the ones who want everything for free, particularly
    >> software."
    >>
    >> " Some Linux users are easily dazzled by superfluous and completely
    >> useless
    >> effects (wobbly windows, blatant overuse of transparency, etc.) and assume
    >> that it must be better than Mac OS X because it's so cosmetically made-up
    >> and then there are others who only need the Terminal and can keep typing
    >> on
    >> it whole day long."
    >>
    >> " The problem with the Linux community is that, like any community, it has
    >> members with widely varying interests and preferences and the open source
    >> developers are developing hundreds of distributions to try and cater to
    >> every single whim and fancy of these members.

    > This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    > Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    > branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.
    >
    > John

    Lack of organization and focus is what is killing Linux.
    Linux currently has at least 500+ different distributions.

    It's like the wild west.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  6. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:30:07 -0700, George Graves wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:07:59 -0700, Alan Baker wrote
    > (in article
    > ):
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> "John Slade" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>> news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    >>> Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    >>> branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.

    >> And yet, Mac OS X share of internet browsing -- a reasonable measure of
    >> what people are actually using -- continues to rise.
    >>
    >> <http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...&qpct=4&qptime
    >> frame=M&qpsp=88&qpnp=25>
    >>

    > Slade can't hear you. He's kill-filed about 90% of everybody on this NG.

    Sounds like a typical comp.os.linux.advocacy Linux *advocate*.

    All 5 advocates have kill filed everyone else so this way they can stroke
    each other all day and night without ever hearing a negative word about
    Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  8. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:04:58 -0700, John Slade wrote:

    > "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >>
    >> http://www.applematters.com/article/...eems-to-care1/
    >>
    >> " The general consensus seems to be that Mac users are the sort who want
    >> the best in quality, no expenses spared; Windows users are those who're
    >> looking for the best bang for their buck (generally in the short term);
    >> and
    >> Linux users are the ones who want everything for free, particularly
    >> software."
    >>
    >> " Some Linux users are easily dazzled by superfluous and completely
    >> useless
    >> effects (wobbly windows, blatant overuse of transparency, etc.) and assume
    >> that it must be better than Mac OS X because it's so cosmetically made-up
    >> and then there are others who only need the Terminal and can keep typing
    >> on
    >> it whole day long."
    >>
    >> " The problem with the Linux community is that, like any community, it has
    >> members with widely varying interests and preferences and the open source
    >> developers are developing hundreds of distributions to try and cater to
    >> every single whim and fancy of these members.

    > This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    > Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    > branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.
    >
    > John

    Lack of organization and focus is what is killing Linux.
    Linux currently has at least 500+ different distributions.

    It's like the wild west.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:30:07 -0700, George Graves wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:07:59 -0700, Alan Baker wrote
    > (in article
    > ):
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> "John Slade" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>> news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    >>> Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    >>> branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.

    >> And yet, Mac OS X share of internet browsing -- a reasonable measure of
    >> what people are actually using -- continues to rise.
    >>
    >> <http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...&qpct=4&qptime
    >> frame=M&qpsp=88&qpnp=25>
    >>

    > Slade can't hear you. He's kill-filed about 90% of everybody on this NG.

    Sounds like a typical comp.os.linux.advocacy Linux *advocate*.

    All 5 advocates have kill filed everyone else so this way they can stroke
    each other all day and night without ever hearing a negative word about
    Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:04:58 -0700, John Slade wrote:

    > "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >>
    >> http://www.applematters.com/article/...eems-to-care1/
    >>
    >> " The general consensus seems to be that Mac users are the sort who want
    >> the best in quality, no expenses spared; Windows users are those who're
    >> looking for the best bang for their buck (generally in the short term);
    >> and
    >> Linux users are the ones who want everything for free, particularly
    >> software."
    >>
    >> " Some Linux users are easily dazzled by superfluous and completely
    >> useless
    >> effects (wobbly windows, blatant overuse of transparency, etc.) and assume
    >> that it must be better than Mac OS X because it's so cosmetically made-up
    >> and then there are others who only need the Terminal and can keep typing
    >> on
    >> it whole day long."
    >>
    >> " The problem with the Linux community is that, like any community, it has
    >> members with widely varying interests and preferences and the open source
    >> developers are developing hundreds of distributions to try and cater to
    >> every single whim and fancy of these members.

    > This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    > Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    > branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.
    >
    > John

    Lack of organization and focus is what is killing Linux.
    Linux currently has at least 500+ different distributions.

    It's like the wild west.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  12. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  13. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  14. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:58:44 -0400, "Moshe, Goldfarb"
    wrote:

    >> Slade can't hear you. He's kill-filed about 90% of everybody on this NG.

    >Sounds like a typical comp.os.linux.advocacy Linux *advocate*.
    >
    >All 5 advocates have kill filed everyone else so this way they can stroke
    >each other all day and night without ever hearing a negative word about
    >Linux.

    You want to see three fools stroking each other over Vista, just watch
    Bill, Frank and monkey spanker go at it. No cover charge, free
    admission, right here, every day. Bring your own popcorn. Its a great
    sideshow. You get to see three freaks go ape and profess their love of
    pigs and sheep besides.

  15. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:04:58 -0400, John Slade wrote:
    > I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.

    Keep wondering. Cuz it's not.

  16. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:36:16 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:04:58 -0700, John Slade wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:1jjsl67rniymr$.d1hhjl07keuj$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >>>
    >>> http://www.applematters.com/article/...-nobody-seems-

    to-care1/

    >>> " The general consensus seems to be that Mac users are the sort who
    >>> want the best in quality, no expenses spared; Windows users are those
    >>> who're looking for the best bang for their buck (generally in the
    >>> short term); and
    >>> Linux users are the ones who want everything for free, particularly
    >>> software."
    >>>
    >>> " Some Linux users are easily dazzled by superfluous and completely
    >>> useless
    >>> effects (wobbly windows, blatant overuse of transparency, etc.) and
    >>> assume that it must be better than Mac OS X because it's so
    >>> cosmetically made-up and then there are others who only need the
    >>> Terminal and can keep typing on
    >>> it whole day long."
    >>>
    >>> " The problem with the Linux community is that, like any community, it
    >>> has members with widely varying interests and preferences and the open
    >>> source developers are developing hundreds of distributions to try and
    >>> cater to every single whim and fancy of these members.

    >> This is a problem? I wonder why the OS X market share is dropping.
    >> Because nobody cares, now that Mac users can run Windows on their Apple
    >> branded clones, sure OS X market share will drop.
    >>
    >> John

    > Lack of organization and focus is what is killing Linux. Linux currently
    > has at least 500+ different distributions.
    >
    > It's like the wild west.

    So what if Linux has 500 distributions (which I'd like to see you prove)?

    And, if it so bad, why do you and your family use it?

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    pRick wrote:

    > So what if Linux has 500 distributions (which I'd like to see you prove)?

    http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

    348 distros

    Choice! Gooooo Linux!

  18. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    In article , Winston
    wrote:

    > pRick wrote:
    >

    > > So what if Linux has 500 distributions (which I'd like to see you prove)?
    > >

    > http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity
    >
    > 348 distros
    >

    > Choice! Gooooo Linux!

    While choice is good you can over do it. Remember Apple's own ill fated
    performa line where each choice had a number which combined with the even
    more ill thought out clone idea sent the then 9% to 10% marketshare into
    the toilet?

  19. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    * Winston peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > pRick wrote:
    >
    > > So what if Linux has 500 distributions (which I'd like to see you prove)?

    > http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity
    >
    > 348 distros
    >
    > Choice! Gooooo Linux!

    Actually, trollboi, I am a bit surprised at a couple things. You have
    to go down to #20 to touch the all distros I think are cool:

    Debian
    Slackware
    Gentoo
    Knoppix

    Also, I'm surprised you picked a list that includes BSDs: PC-BSD,
    FreeBSD, DesktopBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, TrueBSD, MidnightBSD, OliveBSD.

    Also Schillix, which is based on OpenSolaris.

    A number the distro included are basically just repackagings of Ubuntu
    to emphasize a different desktop.

    Then there's GParted, which is really a recovery/forensics system.
    There are small-footprint version for remote desktop computing, such as
    2X.

    Bluewhite64 Linux is an unofficial port of Slackware Linux to the x86_64
    processor architectures.

    Slackintosh is a port of Slackware Linux to the PowerPC (Macintosh)
    processor architecture.

    CensorNet is an Internet Management Appliance designed to control and
    monitor individuals accessing Internet resources on a local area
    network.

    SoL (Server optimized Linux) is a Linux distribution completely
    independent from other Linux distributions. It was built from the
    original source packages and is optimised for heavy-duty server work.

    clusterKNOPPIX is a modified Knoppix distribution using the OpenMosix
    kernel. Features:

    * OpenMosix terminal server - uses PXE, DHCP and tftp to boot linux
    clients via the network
    * No cdrom drive/harddisk/floppy needed for the clients
    openMosix autodiscovery - new nodes automatically join the
    cluster (no configuration needed)
    * Cluster Management tools - openMosix userland/openMosixview
    Every node has root access to every other node via ssh/RSAkeys
    MFS/dfsa support
    * Every node can run full blown X (PC-room/demo setup) or
    console only (more memory available)

    Furthermore, a number of those Linuxes are, at least with a light
    sampling, nationality-specific versions of Linux. (For example,
    Haansoft is a Korean version, Pardux for the Parsi lanague, and PUD for
    Taiwanese lovers of Ubuntu).

    Really, this stuff is pretty cool. With a little searching, you can
    find a Linux /optimized/ for your situation, and download it. You don't
    have to try to configure a number of items to your liking -- somebody
    already did it for you.

    Thanks, Winston! That was a great bit of advocacy! I'm going to light
    up a Winston to celebrate!

    --
    Information technology and business are becoming inextricably interwoven. I
    don't think anybody can talk meaningfully about one without the talking

  20. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 22:16:28 +0200, "Your message could be here"
    wrote:

    >"Adam Albright" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:58:44 -0400, "Moshe, Goldfarb"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >Interesting where that lying cunt albright keeps showing up.

    Amazing how one dickhead (yea you dummy) keeps changing his nick and
    actually is stupid enough to think nobody can figure out who the moron
    is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast