Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care......... - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care......... - Linux ; Your message could be here wrote: > > "Adam Albright" schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:0nue349tgao703ecu10onu8v9ujjro5ef8@4ax.com... > >> On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:58:44 -0400, "Moshe, Goldfarb" >> wrote: >> > > Interesting where that lying cunt albright keeps showing up. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

  1. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Your message could be here wrote:

    > "Adam Albright" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >> On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:58:44 -0400, "Moshe, Goldfarb"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    > Interesting where that lying cunt albright keeps showing up.

    Mens restrooms at airports?...LOL!
    Frank

  2. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On May 24, 11:41 am, Bruce Grubb wrote:
    > In article , Winston
    > wrote:
    >
    > > pRick wrote:

    > > > So what if Linux has 500 distributions (which I'd like to see you prove)?

    > >http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

    > > 348 distros

    > > Choice! Gooooo Linux!

    > While choice is good you can over do it.

    No doubt about it. One should consider the factor of 'customer
    confusion' and the paradox of competition versus excessive choice when
    trying to determine if this situation really is really an overall net
    gain for the pubic. For a quick primer on the subject, buy a copy of:

    "The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less", by Barry Schwartz.

    In a nutshell, we automatically assume that having more choices means
    better options and thus, greater satisfaction. But the reality is that
    more choices results in more time to try to make a decision and
    'excessive' choices leads to information overload.

    Choice is associated with freedom and self-determinism, but having
    'too much' leads to such frustration that it becomes a detriment to
    one's psychological and emotional well-being: a problem instead of a
    solution.

    With too many choices, one can begin to question the decisions you
    make, even before you actually make them, where you blame yourself for
    any failures, due to unrealistically high expectations (an expectation
    to achieve perfection. To avoid this, one can get into 'analysis
    paralysis', high stress, anxiety and even clinical depression...all to
    avoid making any decision despite all the choices. Obsessing on
    maximizing choices leads into a spiraling, vicious circle that makes
    our situation worse instead of better: more choices equals more
    unhappiness from information overload and second-guessed
    decisions...or increased aggravation from not making no choice at
    all.

    So are 348 different Linux choices a good thing? I really doubt it.

    -hh

  3. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    "-hh" wrote in message
    > On May 24, 11:41 am, Bruce Grubb wrote:
    >> In article , Winston
    >> wrote:

    >>> you prove)?

    >>> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

    >>> 348 distros

    >>> Choice! Gooooo Linux!

    >> While choice is good you can over do it.

    > No doubt about it. One should consider the factor of 'customer
    > confusion' and the paradox of competition versus excessive choice when
    > trying to determine if this situation really is really an overall net
    > gain for the pubic. For a quick primer on the subject, buy a copy of:
    >
    > "The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less", by Barry Schwartz.
    >
    > In a nutshell, we automatically assume that having more choices means
    > better options and thus, greater satisfaction. But the reality is that
    > more choices results in more time to try to make a decision and
    > 'excessive' choices leads to information overload.
    >
    > Choice is associated with freedom and self-determinism, but having
    > 'too much' leads to such frustration that it becomes a detriment to
    > one's psychological and emotional well-being: a problem instead of a
    > solution.
    >
    > With too many choices, one can begin to question the decisions you
    > make, even before you actually make them, where you blame yourself for
    > any failures, due to unrealistically high expectations (an expectation
    > to achieve perfection. To avoid this, one can get into 'analysis
    > paralysis', high stress, anxiety and even clinical depression...all to
    > avoid making any decision despite all the choices. Obsessing on
    > maximizing choices leads into a spiraling, vicious circle that makes
    > our situation worse instead of better: more choices equals more
    > unhappiness from information overload and second-guessed
    > decisions...or increased aggravation from not making no choice at
    > all.
    >
    > So are 348 different Linux choices a good thing? I really doubt it.
    >
    > -hh

    Choice is for the intelligent and not the dim witted. I like choice.

    --
    http://www.as7apcool.com/

  4. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:44:40 -0700, Cuphea Ignea wrote:

    > Choice is for the intelligent and not the dim witted. I like choice.

    However when you have to choose from of a collection of half done slopware
    then it really isn't choice at all is it?
    It's like the hangman asking you if you want a red, green, blue or black
    hood.

    Advice to Schestowitz: Pick the color that matches your pumps.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    "Moshe, Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:44:40 -0700, Cuphea Ignea wrote:
    >
    >> Choice is for the intelligent and not the dim witted. I like choice.

    > However when you have to choose from of a collection of half done
    > slopware then it really isn't choice at all is it?

    Your family relations are not the topic.

    > It's like the hangman asking you if you want a red, green, blue or
    > black hood.

    No.

    > Advice to Schestowitz: Pick the color that matches your pumps.

    --
    http://www.as7apcool.com/

  6. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  7. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    "Cuphea Ignea" wrote:
    > "-hh" wrote in message
    > >*
    > > For a quick primer on the subject, buy a copy of:
    > >
    > > "The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less", by Barry Schwartz.

    > Choice is for the intelligent and not the dim witted. *I like choice.

    I like choice too... but I see that you utterly missed the point that
    choice actually goes beyond diminishing returns and into negative
    consequences.

    Go read the book and if you still have objections, take it up with the
    Author. Of course, the danger is that you might actually learn
    something :-)

    -hh

  8. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    Cuphea Ignea wrote:

    > Choice is for the intelligent and not the dim witted. I like choice.

    Baby killer.

  9. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    -hh wrote:
    > "Cuphea Ignea" wrote:
    >> "-hh" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> For a quick primer on the subject, buy a copy of:
    >>>
    >>> "The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less", by Barry Schwartz.

    >> Choice is for the intelligent and not the dim witted. I like choice.

    > I like choice too... but I see that you utterly missed the point that
    > choice actually goes beyond diminishing returns and into negative
    > consequences.
    >

    > Go read the book and if you still have objections, take it up with the
    > Author. Of course, the danger is that you might actually learn
    > something :-)

    He's not capable.

  10. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >He's not capable.

    Ignore the forger.

  11. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >Baby killer.

    Ignore the forger.

  12. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On 2008-05-27, -hh wrote:
    > "Cuphea Ignea" wrote:
    >> "-hh" wrote in message
    >> >*
    >> > For a quick primer on the subject, buy a copy of:
    >> >
    >> > "The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less", by Barry Schwartz.

    >> Choice is for the intelligent and not the dim witted. *I like choice.

    > I like choice too... but I see that you utterly missed the point that
    > choice actually goes beyond diminishing returns and into negative
    > consequences.

    ....this is probably why the number of relevant distributions for any
    particular niche is actually fairly small. While there are always
    newer players being created they tend to be pretty much invisible
    until they gain traction.

    I hear more about some them from Trolls whining about diversity than
    from anywhere else.

    As long as there aren't any artificial entry/exit barriers, it should
    all be self regulating.

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \

  13. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > -hh wrote:
    > >
    > > I like choice too... but I see that you
    > > utterly missed the point that choice actually
    > > goes beyond diminishing returns and into negative
    > > consequences.

    > ...this is probably why the number of relevant
    > distributions for any particular niche is actually
    > fairly small. While there are always newer players
    > being created they tend to be pretty much invisible
    > until they gain traction.

    Understood, but this sounds more like an apology for the customer
    confusion it invariably causes, which is not offset by an appreciably
    significant benefit. As such, it becomes YA example of "more trouble
    than its worth".

    >*I hear more about some them from Trolls whining
    > about diversity than from anywhere else.

    And we could go invent 100 more variations of Pig Latin...but where's
    the benefit of doing so? Without a clear benefit, it isn't a feature,
    but merely noise.

    > As long as there aren't any artificial entry/exit
    > barriers, it should all be self regulating.

    In classical terms, agreed. However, since the cost of publishing on
    the internet is virtually zero, any yahoo can go create a half dozen
    different variants per day. Thus we end up with a hodgepodge that's
    analogus to using bloggers to get your news instead of the traditional
    daily newspaper. As such, having a classical "entry to barrier" of
    the cost to publish is a good thing, because it acts as the first
    filter to weed out the trash before the public can even perceive it.

    -hh

  14. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On 2008-05-27, -hh wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> -hh wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I like choice too... but I see that you
    >> > utterly missed the point that choice actually
    >> > goes beyond diminishing returns and into negative
    >> > consequences.

    >> ...this is probably why the number of relevant
    >> distributions for any particular niche is actually
    >> fairly small. While there are always newer players
    >> being created they tend to be pretty much invisible
    >> until they gain traction.

    > Understood, but this sounds more like an apology for the customer

    Not an apology.

    A dispute of the "effect".

    There aren't "500 different distributions" as far as the end
    user is concerned. This is just a BS number meant to stir up
    entirely unwarranted apprehension (iow FUD).

    > confusion it invariably causes, which is not offset by an appreciably
    > significant benefit. As such, it becomes YA example of "more trouble
    > than its worth".
    >

    >>*I hear more about some them from Trolls whining
    >> about diversity than from anywhere else.

    > And we could go invent 100 more variations of Pig Latin...but where's
    > the benefit of doing so? Without a clear benefit, it isn't a feature,
    > but merely noise.
    >

    >> As long as there aren't any artificial entry/exit
    >> barriers, it should all be self regulating.

    > In classical terms, agreed. However, since the cost of publishing on
    > the internet is virtually zero, any yahoo can go create a half dozen
    > different variants per day. Thus we end up with a hodgepodge that's

    No we don't.

    We end up with a small number of well known and established distributions.

    The rest are too obscure for anyone but TROLLS to know about.

    Infact, I find out about some of them from the trolls before I
    find out about them anywhere else.

    --

    Some people have this nutty idea that in 1997 |||
    reading to a hard disk and writing to a hard disk / | \
    both at the same time was something worth patenting.

  15. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > -hh wrote:
    > > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > >> ...this is probably why the number of relevant
    > >> distributions for any particular niche is actually
    > >> fairly small. *While there are always newer players
    > >> being created they tend to be pretty much invisible
    > >> until they gain traction.

    > > Understood, but this sounds more like an apology
    > > for the customer [confusion it invariably causes,]

    > Not an apology.
    >
    > A dispute of the "effect".

    Which effect? The point of Schwartz's "The Paradox of Choice: Why
    More Is Less" book is that too many choices has been found to have a
    negative overall effect...not merely diminishing returns.

    > There aren't "500 different distributions" as far as the end
    > user is concerned. This is just a BS number meant to stir up
    > entirely unwarranted apprehension (iow FUD).

    So how many ditros are there?

    And are there functionally "too many" distributions (eg, resulting in
    a negative overall effect)? Of course, part of the dilemma here is
    that we don't know what's enough choice versus too many choices.

    > >> As long as there aren't any artificial entry/exit
    > >> barriers, it should all be self regulating.

    > > In classical terms, agreed. *However, since the
    > > cost of publishing on the internet is virtually
    > > zero, any yahoo can go create a half dozen
    > > different variants per day. *Thus we end up
    > > with a hodgepodge that's

    > No we don't.
    >
    > We end up with a small number of well known
    > and established distributions.

    But with no barrier to entry, how are the bad ones kept out?

    > The rest are too obscure for anyone but TROLLS to know about.

    One can hope, but if this were really the case, then there wouldn't
    ever be any bad software out there of any type. The unfortunate
    reality is that unlimited free software results in unlimited misery
    when the over and over again, people get somehow sucked into trying
    some piece of free software that sucks.

    We can say "don't run non-trusted / obscure Linux variants" all we
    want, but the whole reason why Spam exists is because people can't be
    trusted to do the simple & obvious steps.

    > Infact, I find out about some of them from the trolls before I
    > find out about them anywhere else.

    There's no shortage of bad ideas. Let me know when you find one
    that's been written in Pig Latin syntax :-)

    -hh

  16. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:37:48 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:

    > There's no shortage of bad ideas. Let me know when you find one
    > that's been written in Pig Latin syntax :-)
    >

    > -hh

    Here's one:

    (difficult to do Pig Latin in writing)

    Me Ankrupty marketsuper after switchee switchee Uxlini suckee suckee
    grande-poo.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    "Moshe, Goldfarb." otewray:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:37:48 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
    > > There's no shortage of bad ideas. *Let me know when you find one
    > > that's been written in Pig Latin syntax :-)

    > Here's one:
    >
    > (difficult to do Pig Latin in writing)

    On'tday owknay igpay atinlay, oday ouyay?

    -hh

  18. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    -hh wrote:
    > "Moshe, Goldfarb." otewray:
    >> On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:37:48 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
    >>> There's no shortage of bad ideas. Let me know when you find one
    >>> that's been written in Pig Latin syntax :-)

    >> Here's one:
    >>
    >> (difficult to do Pig Latin in writing)

    > On'tday owknay igpay atinlay, oday ouyay?

    "nowk" ? "NOWK" ??? ...He's not alone.

  19. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:47:13 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:

    > "Moshe, Goldfarb." otewray:
    >> On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:37:48 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote:
    >>> There's no shortage of bad ideas. *Let me know when you find one
    >>> that's been written in Pig Latin syntax :-)

    >> Here's one:
    >>
    >> (difficult to do Pig Latin in writing)

    > On'tday owknay igpay atinlay, oday ouyay?
    >

    > -hh

    Good one!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: Linux and Why Nobody Seems To Care.........