[News] [Rival] Windows XP SP3 Makes Registry Corruption - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows XP SP3 Makes Registry Corruption

    XP SP3 update corrupts Windows registry, users claim

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Symantec Corp. today denied that its consumer security software, including
    | Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, is to blame for wreaking havoc on
    | some users' PCs after they upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    `----

    http://computerworld.com/action/arti...&intsrc=kc_top

    In a newer article. Symantec blames Microsoft.

    Add that to data corruption bugs in SP3.

    Recent:

    Windows XP SP3 still officially AWOL, but can be found on BitTorrent, Microsoft
    servers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On Tuesday, in a low-key announcement on a support newsgroup, Microsoft said
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | it would delay the release of XP SP3 because of data corruption issues
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | between the updated operating system and its retail point-of-sale software.
    `----

    http://computerworld.com/action/arti...&intsrc=kc_top

    XP change corrupts data, hamstrings SP3 rollout

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Microsoft spokeswoman on Wednesday acknowledged that the same problems
    | affected Dynamics RMS users running XP SP3.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    Windows XP SP3: Beware the service pack!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first thing that happened after installing Vista SP1 is that it broke my
    | HP printer driver. That wasn't too bad, I fixed that quite easily by
    | uninstalling the driver and doing a clean reinstallation. However, the fact
    | that a service pack upgrade caused an instability in a previously working
    | standard software installation is a concern.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18109/1023/

    XP SP3 crashes AMD machines

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One user reported, "I just installed Windows XP SP3 and after completing the
    | processes and when the system reboots, the system cannot proceed to load the
    | Windows. It just displays the flash screen of Windows then after it reboots
    | again."
    |
    | Angry users have also reported that, after the installation, it is not even
    | possible to boot in safe mode, usually the last resort before setting up a
    | repeated forehead/screen interface.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-amd-machines

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows XP SP3 Makes Registry Corruption

    > XP SP3 update corrupts Windows registry, users claim
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Symantec Corp. today denied that its consumer security software, including
    >| Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, is to blame for wreaking havoc on
    >| some users' PCs after they upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    > `----
    >
    > http://computerworld.com/action/arti...&intsrc=kc_top
    >
    > In a newer article. Symantec blames Microsoft.
    > Add that to data corruption bugs in SP3.

    Windows: You dick around with your system because you have to.

    Linux: You dick around with your system because it is /fun/.

    I really don't miss Windows when I'm away from it, which is much of the
    time now.

    --
    The U.S. couldn't even get rid of Saddam Hussein. And we all know that the
    EU is just a passing fad. They'll be killing each other again in less than a

+ Reply to Thread