Just Say NO! - Linux

This is a discussion on Just Say NO! - Linux ; There are a lot of well-fed trolls in here. They should be starving to death, but they keep getting fatter and fatter. I've completely wiped out most (if not all) of the most abusive. When the rare happenstance has one ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Just Say NO!

    There are a lot of well-fed trolls in here. They should be starving to
    death, but they keep getting fatter and fatter.

    I've completely wiped out most (if not all) of the most abusive. When
    the rare happenstance has one pop past the filters, I'm often inclined
    to respond. Sometimes I do. But most times reason takes over and I
    cancel the response, then look to see if there's soemthing I need to do
    to tighten things up.

    If people would practice similar restraint (including myself in the
    rare cases where I can't control the urge to respond) the trolls would
    evaporate. Completely. Sure, they'd prod and probe. They'd become more
    outrageous and noisy. But they'd give it up because there'd be no
    reward.

    Unlike now, when it seems all they have to do is fart and they can get
    5 or more responses about the aroma accompanying their malodorous
    excretions.

    Just needed to vent. Carry on.

    --
    Windows: In what position would you like to be taken today?

  2. Re: Just Say NO!

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > If people would practice similar restraint (including myself in the
    > rare cases where I can't control the urge to respond) the trolls would
    > evaporate. Completely.

    Great advice, Gidget: ignore the "trolls" except when you can't stand it any
    longer.

    Get a grip and don't fool yourself that cola would be worth reading without
    contrary opinions.

    > Just needed to vent. Carry on.

    Of course you did, since you're at work happily using your fast, stable
    Windows system and feeling guilty because you desperately want to be a real
    "advocate" but you're too chicken to find a job using Linux.

  3. Re: Just Say NO!

    Sinister Midget writes:

    > There are a lot of well-fed trolls in here. They should be starving to
    > death, but they keep getting fatter and fatter.
    >
    > I've completely wiped out most (if not all) of the most abusive. When
    > the rare happenstance has one pop past the filters, I'm often inclined
    > to respond. Sometimes I do. But most times reason takes over and I
    > cancel the response, then look to see if there's soemthing I need to do
    > to tighten things up.
    >
    > If people would practice similar restraint (including myself in the
    > rare cases where I can't control the urge to respond) the trolls would
    > evaporate. Completely. Sure, they'd prod and probe. They'd become more
    > outrageous and noisy. But they'd give it up because there'd be no
    > reward.
    >
    > Unlike now, when it seems all they have to do is fart and they can get
    > 5 or more responses about the aroma accompanying their malodorous
    > excretions.
    >
    > Just needed to vent. Carry on.

    No one cares what you think.

  4. Re: Just Say NO!

    Good advice. I don't filter them, but seldom read them. I did look
    at posting counts recently, however. Moshe=flatfish has posted
    approximately 2x as much as Roy Schestowitz since January, even more
    if you add his sockpuppet Ezekiel. It's noticeable how flatfish cut
    back on the nymshifting about that time, and has mostly used Moshe
    since then. Maybe it got to him how everyone was calling him on his
    nymshifting. Actually, Moshe, Ezekiel and Hadron all have technical
    knowledge, and can occasionally be interesting on that account. But
    it's such a small percentage that it's not worthwhile to look for it.
    I almost never read Hadron any more. I find amicus to be especially
    tedious, since he is so predictable. He could be a sleazy lawyer if
    he were more intelligent. But then he wouldn't have to work for
    Microsoft. At least he's reasonably polite most of the time. DFS
    seems to get more hysterical (and less interesting) all the time,
    obviously not getting enough attention. Kind of makes you long for
    the old days, when you could just read the fireworks between Daeron
    and Erik.

  5. Re: Just Say NO!

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Unlike now, when it seems all they have to do is fart and they can get
    > 5 or more responses about the aroma accompanying their malodorous
    > excretions.
    >
    > Just needed to vent. Carry on.

    How do we know /you/ aren't trolling?

    --
    One thing we have got to change in our strategy - allowing Office documents to
    be rendered very well by other peoples browsers is one of the most destructive

  6. Re: Just Say NO!

  7. Re: Just Say NO!

    Linonut wrote:

    >* Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Unlike now, when it seems all they have to do is fart and they can get
    >> 5 or more responses about the aroma accompanying their malodorous
    >> excretions.
    >>
    >> Just needed to vent. Carry on.

    >How do we know /you/ aren't trolling?

    *plonk*

    8)

  8. Re: Just Say NO!

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > There are a lot of well-fed trolls in here. They should be starving to
    > death, but they keep getting fatter and fatter.

    (chuckle)
    This thread is starting to look like an object lesson in how to deal
    with them!

    - as you suggest, filter them out.

    - that way, the only time you are aware of them is when somebody else is
    daft enough to reply to them.

    - if, using that method, you do see something that you feel warrants a
    reply, do *not* reply. Instead, simply make that point the subject of
    your own new thread, cut their claptrap, and write your own essay on
    it - Rex style:-)

    - if/when, using this method, you find that you are no longer seeing
    anything from them, that's fine - the system is working:-)

    - meanwhile, do what's happening already on this thread - by all means
    talk *about* the tools, but never actually respond to them:-)

    Finally, ask yourself *why* these idiots are getting so frantic? If you
    don't know the answer to that, you need to follow more of Roy's links.

  9. Re: Just Say NO!

    bbgruff writes:

    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> There are a lot of well-fed trolls in here. They should be starving to
    >> death, but they keep getting fatter and fatter.

    > (chuckle)
    > This thread is starting to look like an object lesson in how to deal
    > with them!
    >
    > - as you suggest, filter them out.
    >
    > - that way, the only time you are aware of them is when somebody else is
    > daft enough to reply to them.

    LOL. bbgruff is actually *explaining* the results of filtering. Like
    Liarnut when he discovered slrn filters, he thinks he's some kind of
    filter guru like Willy Poaster and his amazing killfiles.

    > - if, using that method, you do see something that you feel warrants a
    > reply, do *not* reply. Instead, simply make that point the subject of
    > your own new thread, cut their claptrap, and write your own essay on
    > it - Rex style:-)

    And of course you have no idea how to kill a thread?

    > - if/when, using this method, you find that you are no longer seeing
    > anything from them, that's fine - the system is working:-)

    really? Your technical knowledge is astounding! Do you have a degree too?

    > - meanwhile, do what's happening already on this thread - by all means
    > talk *about* the tools, but never actually respond to them:-)

    More wonderful suggestions! Who would ever work this tou themselves?
    Watch out Willy! There's a new kid in town .....

    > Finally, ask yourself *why* these idiots are getting so frantic? If you
    > don't know the answer to that, you need to follow more of Roy's links.

    Frantic?

    LOL.

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  10. Re: Just Say NO!

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:27:50 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    > Finally, ask yourself *why* these idiots are getting so frantic? If you
    > don't know the answer to that, you need to follow more of Roy's links.

    We've been asking you loons for years to follow Roy Schestowitz's links.

    More often than not you will discover they have nothing to do with the
    subject, are presented as fact when they are really the ramblings of some
    blogger and worst of all quite frequently point right back to one of Roy
    Schestowitz's own sites for proof.

    So, yes I suggest you do follow some of Roy Schestowitz's links.

    The results might surprise you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: Just Say NO!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  12. Re: Just Say NO!

    On 2008-05-23, Linonut claimed:
    > * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Unlike now, when it seems all they have to do is fart and they can get
    >> 5 or more responses about the aroma accompanying their malodorous
    >> excretions.
    >>
    >> Just needed to vent. Carry on.

    > How do we know /you/ aren't trolling?

    I guess you don't. I can be filtered easily, too, though. So if anybody
    really wants to......

    But it's pretty much dead on. Flafish Goldfish says the same 3 themes
    over and over, but gets dozens of responses. S/H/It also says things
    that are clearly meant to be outrageous and solicit reponses. Those are
    rewarded equally. But if one sits back and reads without responding
    it's often easy to see just how stupid they are.

    DuFuS finds stuff from 5 years ago and he gets at least 5 posts to tell
    him it's from 5 years ago, plus another, larger number countering.

    EZ "Road" Kill is not much more than an old-style DuFuS, recycling the
    same poop DuFuS used to do before he became a shell of his former self,
    along with a smdigen of other stuff that seems to come from the Billy
    and Missy Gatu$ FUD(ge) Factory and Charity Dance Studio. And it
    doesn't have any more significance than it did when it was spewed in
    the Simeon Kooke days.

    But they all get lots and lots of responses.

    I'd probably see more. But I kill several references as well. So it's
    going to be several levels off before I see something from a goodly
    number of the Windummies. I thought about doing all of them that way.
    If I did, though, I'd see all of Roy's originals, some of his responses
    and 2 or 3 other posts a day. OK, maybe a little more. Maybe 10. But it
    would be a lot less than I'm seeing now.

    As I said, I just needed to vent. After seeing close to 20 posts in a
    row this morning that were direct responses to Mushy Flatfish, the
    pressure built enough that I had to let a little off.

    --
    I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
    that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need an

  13. Re: Just Say NO!

    On 2008-05-23, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > ____/ Sinister Midget on Friday 23 May 2008 13:33 : \____
    >
    >> There are a lot of well-fed trolls in here. They should be starving to
    >> death, but they keep getting fatter and fatter.
    >>
    >> I've completely wiped out most (if not all) of the most abusive. When
    >> the rare happenstance has one pop past the filters, I'm often inclined
    >> to respond. Sometimes I do. But most times reason takes over and I
    >> cancel the response, then look to see if there's soemthing I need to do
    >> to tighten things up.
    >>
    >> If people would practice similar restraint (including myself in the
    >> rare cases where I can't control the urge to respond) the trolls would
    >> evaporate. Completely. Sure, they'd prod and probe. They'd become more
    >> outrageous and noisy. But they'd give it up because there'd be no
    >> reward.
    >>
    >> Unlike now, when it seems all they have to do is fart and they can get
    >> 5 or more responses about the aroma accompanying their malodorous
    >> excretions.
    >>
    >> Just needed to vent. Carry on.

    > The Linux threat to Microsoft is proportional to the amount of abuse they are
    > willing to throw at those who extol its value. The same goes for ODF. Ask all
    > those who were bullied like nobody's business for standing in the way of
    > 0h-0h-0ml.

    But responding keeps them going. If they aren't effective at all,
    they'll be forcesd to quit. Flatso will nym-shift. If nobody responds,
    s/h/it'll nym-shift again. And again, and again, and again. But
    eventually it will all cease.

    The same goes for a number of others.

    I've been guilty of the same behavior, so I hesitate to point fingers.
    The only redemption I can claim is that I've done less than some.

    But I do try. I've whipped up some dingers of responses, spent a lot of
    time on them, been interrupted by dinner or having to do a chore, and
    then come back to work on it more. I've even been interrupted several
    times on one post, and overnight as well. Then I'd even come back and
    add more content, proofread (a task I try not to do too much) and made
    sure everything I wanted was contained. Then, just before I sent it
    off, I reconsidered and held back. Not every time. But more often than
    not.

    Despite a lot of time spent and tossed aside, I'm glad I didn't send
    some of them because it plays into the hands of the trolls. Resistance
    /can/ be rewarding. I wish I'd done more of it.

    --
    Any dimwit can run Windows Vista or XP. And they usually do.

  14. Re: Just Say NO!

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > But they all get lots and lots of responses.

    I don't get it, either. Once someone has established themselves as
    nothing but a troll, *plonk*.

  15. Re: Just Say NO!

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Friday 23 May 2008 21:40 : \____

    > On 2008-05-23, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >> ____/ Sinister Midget on Friday 23 May 2008 13:33 : \____
    >>
    >>> There are a lot of well-fed trolls in here. They should be starving to
    >>> death, but they keep getting fatter and fatter.
    >>>
    >>> I've completely wiped out most (if not all) of the most abusive. When
    >>> the rare happenstance has one pop past the filters, I'm often inclined
    >>> to respond. Sometimes I do. But most times reason takes over and I
    >>> cancel the response, then look to see if there's soemthing I need to do
    >>> to tighten things up.
    >>>
    >>> If people would practice similar restraint (including myself in the
    >>> rare cases where I can't control the urge to respond) the trolls would
    >>> evaporate. Completely. Sure, they'd prod and probe. They'd become more
    >>> outrageous and noisy. But they'd give it up because there'd be no
    >>> reward.
    >>>
    >>> Unlike now, when it seems all they have to do is fart and they can get
    >>> 5 or more responses about the aroma accompanying their malodorous
    >>> excretions.
    >>>
    >>> Just needed to vent. Carry on.

    >> The Linux threat to Microsoft is proportional to the amount of abuse they
    >> are willing to throw at those who extol its value. The same goes for ODF.
    >> Ask all those who were bullied like nobody's business for standing in the
    >> way of 0h-0h-0ml.

    > But responding keeps them going. If they aren't effective at all,
    > they'll be forcesd to quit. Flatso will nym-shift. If nobody responds,
    > s/h/it'll nym-shift again. And again, and again, and again. But
    > eventually it will all cease.
    >
    > The same goes for a number of others.
    >
    > I've been guilty of the same behavior, so I hesitate to point fingers.
    > The only redemption I can claim is that I've done less than some.
    >
    > But I do try. I've whipped up some dingers of responses, spent a lot of
    > time on them, been interrupted by dinner or having to do a chore, and
    > then come back to work on it more. I've even been interrupted several
    > times on one post, and overnight as well. Then I'd even come back and
    > add more content, proofread (a task I try not to do too much) and made
    > sure everything I wanted was contained. Then, just before I sent it
    > off, I reconsidered and held back. Not every time. But more often than
    > not.
    >
    > Despite a lot of time spent and tossed aside, I'm glad I didn't send
    > some of them because it plays into the hands of the trolls. Resistance
    > /can/ be rewarding. I wish I'd done more of it.

    True. If we reply to trolls, then we have our attention diverted, just as they
    wish. We then discuss people or non-existent problems instead of showing why
    FOSS and Linux are worth using. If you get attacked, it typically means you're
    on the right topic. They want you not to talk about it.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
    Mem: 515500k total, 444864k used, 70636k free, 3232k buffers

  16. Re: Just Say NO!

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > Despite a lot of time spent and tossed aside, I'm glad I didn't send
    > some of them because it plays into the hands of the trolls. Resistance
    > /can/ be rewarding. I wish I'd done more of it.

    What a lunatic. So full of yourself and your boring thoughts and "Should I
    post this to cola or shouldn't I? I better consult my psychic!"

  17. Re: Just Say NO!

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:53:48 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> Despite a lot of time spent and tossed aside, I'm glad I didn't send
    >> some of them because it plays into the hands of the trolls. Resistance
    >> /can/ be rewarding. I wish I'd done more of it.

    > What a lunatic. So full of yourself and your boring thoughts and "Should I
    > post this to cola or shouldn't I? I better consult my psychic!"

    Sounds like he has caught "Schestowitz Disease "
    That's where your head gets so big you think the world revolves around you
    and only you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: Just Say NO!

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  19. Linux cowards make excuses for sticking their head in the sand. (was: Just Say NO!)

    "Sinister Midget" wrote in message

    You cowards are too scared to debate based on facts. It's much easier to
    hide your head in the sand and pretend the truth doesn't exist.

    Why not call your post what it really is.

  20. Re: Just Say NO!

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 03:30:00 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > True. If we reply to trolls, then we have our attention diverted, just as they
    > wish. We then discuss people or non-existent problems instead of showing why
    > FOSS and Linux are worth using. If you get attacked, it typically means you're
    > on the right topic. They want you not to talk about it.

    Translation: If Roy Schestowitz actually pauses for a moment to help
    someone out, discuss a POV or explain himself, he will cut into his paid
    for SPAMMING activities.

    It's all about quantity and certainly not quality.