Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at highend - Linux

This is a discussion on Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at highend - Linux ; http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/co...s-gravity.html > Friday, May 16, 2008 6:30 PM/EST > Macs Defy Windows' Gravity > > News Analysis. Consider this: Apple's retail market share is 14 percent, and two-thirds for PCs costing $1,000 or more. > > Should I repeat those ...

  1. Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at highend

    http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/co...s-gravity.html

    > Friday, May 16, 2008 6:30 PM/EST
    > Macs Defy Windows' Gravity
    >
    > News Analysis. Consider this: Apple's retail market share is 14 percent, and two-thirds for PCs costing $1,000 or more.
    >
    > Should I repeat those numbers? The share data is for first-quarter brick-and-mortar stores, as tabulated by the NPD Group. Apple's market share is but one measure of success. Sales growth is way up, while Windows desktop PC sales are way down.

  2. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at high end

    On 2008-05-23, Matt claimed:
    > http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/co...s-gravity.html

    >> Should I repeat those numbers? The share data is for first-quarter
    >> brick-and-mortar stores, as tabulated by the NPD Group. Apple's
    >> market share is but one measure of success. Sales growth is way up,
    >> while Windows desktop PC sales are way down.

    MS did it to the x86 world by forcing them to get FistedĀ©. This is
    their best chance to push back as hard as they can and break the
    manacles once and for all.

    --
    Microsoft: The company that made graphics files dangerous.

  3. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 athigh end

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 06:12:22 -0500, Matt wrote:

    > http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/co..._defy_windows-

    gravity.html

    >> Friday, May 16, 2008 6:30 PM/EST
    >> Macs Defy Windows' Gravity
    >>
    >> News Analysis. Consider this: Apple's retail market share is 14
    >> percent, and two-thirds for PCs costing $1,000 or more.
    >>
    >> Should I repeat those numbers? The share data is for first-quarter
    >> brick-and-mortar stores, as tabulated by the NPD Group. Apple's market
    >> share is but one measure of success. Sales growth is way up, while
    >> Windows desktop PC sales are way down.

    While this may good news for Mac users, how does it effect Linux users?
    There a few brick and mortar stores that sell Linux pre-installed. There
    are few stores of any kind that sell Linux pre-installed.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at highend

    These numbers are phenomenal. I thought the downturn in the economy
    would blunt Apple's momentum from 2007, but if anything it seems to
    have accelerated. Ballmer and Gates can't be happy about this. As I
    understand it, Apple has not made many inroads into the enterprise,
    where businesses use a lot of Windows-based software. And they
    haven't tried much either. But that could change. The ability to run
    XP or Vista under OS/X is a big selling point for some people. In the
    meantime, most of this growth in Macs comes from consumers, not
    businesses, so in that segment, the numbers are even more impressive
    than they seem.

  5. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at high end

    On 2008-05-23, Sinister Midget wrote:
    > On 2008-05-23, Matt claimed:
    >> http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/co...s-gravity.html

    >>> Should I repeat those numbers? The share data is for first-quarter
    >>> brick-and-mortar stores, as tabulated by the NPD Group. Apple's
    >>> market share is but one measure of success. Sales growth is way up,
    >>> while Windows desktop PC sales are way down.

    > MS did it to the x86 world by forcing them to get FistedĀ©. This is
    > their best chance to push back as hard as they can and break the
    > manacles once and for all.

    Microsoft singlehandedly made it possible for Macs to be price
    competitive for the general market. Get a machine souped up enough
    to be genuinely Vista capable and you might as well buy a smaller
    and prettier mini.

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

  6. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at high end

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:18:18 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 06:12:22 -0500, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/co..._defy_windows-

    > gravity.html
    >>
    >>> Friday, May 16, 2008 6:30 PM/EST
    >>> Macs Defy Windows' Gravity
    >>>
    >>> News Analysis. Consider this: Apple's retail market share is 14
    >>> percent, and two-thirds for PCs costing $1,000 or more.
    >>>
    >>> Should I repeat those numbers? The share data is for first-quarter
    >>> brick-and-mortar stores, as tabulated by the NPD Group. Apple's market
    >>> share is but one measure of success. Sales growth is way up, while
    >>> Windows desktop PC sales are way down.

    > While this may good news for Mac users, how does it effect Linux users?
    > There a few brick and mortar stores that sell Linux pre-installed. There
    > are few stores of any kind that sell Linux pre-installed.

    There are a few stores that *OFFER* Linux pre-installed.
    Whether or not they can actually *SELL* them is another story.

    Walmart couldn't manage to do it.

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9068038

    Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has stopped selling Everex's Linux-based PC in its
    stores because of a tepid response from customers.

    Linux, it's free but who really cares?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 athigh end

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > As I
    > understand it, Apple has not made many inroads into the enterprise,

    Yes, I remember being kind of surprised ca. 1993 when my department had
    an Apple laser printer, the only laser printer for about 40 people. It
    seemed like a good printer though.

  8. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at high end

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  9. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 athigh end

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:42:25 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 07:18:18 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 23 May 2008 06:12:22 -0500, Matt wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/co..._defy_windows-

    >> gravity.html

    >> While this may good news for Mac users, how does it effect Linux users?
    >> There a few brick and mortar stores that sell Linux pre-installed.
    >> There are few stores of any kind that sell Linux pre-installed.

    > There are a few stores that *OFFER* Linux pre-installed. Whether or not
    > they can actually *SELL* them is another story.
    >
    > Walmart couldn't manage to do it.

    They sold out in their stores, and still sell online.

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?

    command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9068038

    > Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has stopped selling Everex's Linux-based PC in
    > its stores because of a tepid response from customers.

    Or was it because the product didn't match the in store customer base.?
    Wal Mart still sells Linux based machines online.

    > Linux, it's free but who really cares?

    Apparently you, since you have stated you and your family use Linux.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at high end

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:
    > These numbers are phenomenal. I thought the downturn in the economy
    > would blunt Apple's momentum from 2007, but if anything it seems to
    > have accelerated. Ballmer and Gates can't be happy about this. As I
    > understand it, Apple has not made many inroads into the enterprise,
    > where businesses use a lot of Windows-based software. And they
    > haven't tried much either. But that could change. The ability to run
    > XP or Vista under OS/X is a big selling point for some people. In the
    > meantime, most of this growth in Macs comes from consumers, not
    > businesses, so in that segment, the numbers are even more impressive
    > than they seem.

    I wrote some time ago that I expected to see Apple take the top-end of
    the market, and linux the bottom-end, server space and back-end nuts and
    bolts jobs. Apple are very expensive, but their equipment is very well
    made, they're rather like the B&O of computing.

    Of course, because of their pricing, they only need to sell at, say,
    10% of the revenue of a low-margin provider in order to easily beat them
    in margin.

  11. Re: Apple's market share is 14% at brick & mortar stores; 2/3 at high end

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:
    >> These numbers are phenomenal. I thought the downturn in the economy
    >> would blunt Apple's momentum from 2007, but if anything it seems to
    >> have accelerated. Ballmer and Gates can't be happy about this. As I
    >> understand it, Apple has not made many inroads into the enterprise,
    >> where businesses use a lot of Windows-based software. And they
    >> haven't tried much either. But that could change. The ability to run
    >> XP or Vista under OS/X is a big selling point for some people. In the
    >> meantime, most of this growth in Macs comes from consumers, not
    >> businesses, so in that segment, the numbers are even more impressive
    >> than they seem.
    >>

    > I wrote some time ago that I expected to see Apple take the top-end of
    > the market, and linux the bottom-end, server space and back-end nuts and
    > bolts jobs.

    > Apple are very expensive, but their equipment is very well
    > made, they're rather like the B&O of computing.

    Then perhaps you can show some examples where Apple is grossly overpriced.
    I didn't think so.

    B&O is garbage. It looks nice but that's about it.

    > Of course, because of their pricing, they only need to sell at, say,
    > 10% of the revenue of a low-margin provider in order to easily beat them
    > in margin.

    Absolutely retarded and clueless without a single shred of evidence to back
    this up.