[News] SJVN: ODF Announcement Shows Microsoft Office is in Trouble - Linux

  1. [News] SJVN: ODF Announcement Shows Microsoft Office is in Trouble

    Is Microsoft Office in trouble?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And, now Microsoft isn't hurrying to support its own format, but it is moving
    | to support PDF and ODF... Could it be that all those copies of Office 2007
    | Microsoft boasts of selling are collecting dust at reseller and retailer
    | warehouses instead of being used on office systems? Could users be sticking
    | with their older copies of Office and when they do want to move to something
    | newer, they're moving to OpenOffice and Google instead?
    |
    | Interesting isn't it?
    `----

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_mi...ice_in_trouble

    Microsoft can’t support Open XML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If Microsoft can’t give users a compelling reason to switch from their old
    | version of Office to Office 14 their cash-flow is going to slow down
    | considerably.
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/business/m...port-open-xml/

    Recent:

    Is Office the new Netscape?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the cornerstones of Microsoft's competitive strategy over the years
    | has been to redefine competitors' products as features of its own products.
    | Whenever some upstart PC software company started to get traction with a new
    | application - the Netscape browser is the most famous example - Microsoft
    | would incorporate a version of the application into its Office suite or
    | Windows operating system, eroding the market for the application as a
    | standalone product and starving its rival of economic oxygen (ie, cash). It
    | was an effective strategy as well as a controversial one. * * *
    |
    | Now, though, the tables may be turning. Google is trying to pull a Microsoft
    | on Microsoft by redefining core personal-productivity applications -
    | calendars. word processing, spreadsheets, etc. - as features embedded in
    | other products. There's a twist, though. Rather than just incorporating the *
    | applications as features in its own products, Google is offering them up to
    | other companies, particularly big IT vendors, to incorporate as features in
    | their products. * * *
    `----

    http://www.roughtype.com/archives/20...f_the_corn.php

    Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
    | market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
    | doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
    | maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
    | forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
    | revenue significantly."
    `----

    http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

    Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
    | attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
    | taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
    | Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
    | laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
    | have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
    |
    | Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
    | more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
    | distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
    | company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Microsoft's SEC:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
    | To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
    | of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
    | our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.
    `----

    http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

    A reminder of why Microsoft wanted Yahoo

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Henry Blodget at Silicon Alley Insider has posted Tuesday a good look at how
    | Microsoft's Windows and Google's search will stack up by 2009. The results
    | aren't necessarily surprising, but they're certainly interesting to see in
    | print: By this time next year, Blodget predicts, Google search will pass
    | Windows in total revenue.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9943247-7.html

    Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
    | by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
    `---- ^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210...googlenews_wsj

  2. Re: SJVN: ODF Announcement Shows Microsoft Office is in Trouble

    SJVN is as always interesting. So, there seem to be two theories for
    why MS has decided to support ODF, after the long and ugly OOXML
    battle:

    1) Only because the EU regulators are on their case. But they won't
    really support it, it won't work well, it will be full of bugs, you'll
    have to look hard to find how to make ODF the default, etc etc.

    2) Because they need these "features" to compete with OpenOffice and
    Google Apps (SJVN theory). In this case, it would sound like they
    would really need to make a high quality implementation of ODF
    support. Even so, they'd be free to "extend" it, in the usual way.

    Every year that goes by, this drama gets more interesting. Two years
    ago, I would have said that things were looking up for Microsoft, the
    prospect of Vista with better security and new features, new revenue
    from the changeover, etc. But it's all been pretty disappointing (for
    MS), and as this year progresses, things look even worse than last
    year. MS still has a huge revenue flow from Office, but has failed to
    create any credible prospect of conquering new worlds. You can't just
    stand still in the business world. The Yahoo deal certainly hasn't
    gone according to plan, and in any case it was an admission of
    Microsoft failure in online services (they can't compete with Google,
    much less "kill" them). The figures on Mac sales this quarter are
    devastating. Meanwhile, various forces are nibbling at Office... It
    will be interesting to see.

+ Reply to Thread