Mac Market Share Facts - Linux

This is a discussion on Mac Market Share Facts - Linux ; http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007 Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=503816 STAMFORD, Conn., April 18, 2007 — Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7 million units in the first quarter of 2007 1,517,000/62,700,000 = 0.0241 Mac worldwide market ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 197

Thread: Mac Market Share Facts

  1. Mac Market Share Facts

    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers

    http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=503816
    STAMFORD, Conn., April 18, 2007 — Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    million units in the first quarter of 2007

    1,517,000/62,700,000 = 0.0241

    Mac worldwide market share Q1'07 = 2.41%

    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/07/25results.html
    2007 third quarter ended June 30, 2007
    Apple shipped 1,764,000 Macintosh® computers

    http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=509905
    STAMFORD, Conn., July 18, 2007 — Worldwide PC shipments totaled 61.1
    million units in the second quarter of 2007

    1,764,000/61,100,000 = 0.0288

    Mac worldwide market share Q2'07 = 2.88%

    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/10/22results.html
    fiscal 2007 fourth quarter ended September 29, 2007
    Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh® computers

    http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=532712
    STAMFORD, Conn., October 17, 2007 — Worldwide PC shipments totaled
    68.5 million units in the third quarter of 2007

    2,164,000/68,500,000 = 0.0315

    Mac worldwide market share Q3'07 = 3.15%

    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/22results.html
    fiscal 2008 first quarter ended December 29, 2007
    Apple shipped 2,319,000 Macintosh® computers

    http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=584210
    STAMFORD, Conn., January 16, 2008 — Worldwide PC shipments totaled
    271.2 million units in 2007, a 13.4 percent increase from 2006,
    according to preliminary results by Gartner, Inc. The industry ended
    the year with fourth quarter PC shipments of 75.9 million units

    2,319,000/75,900,000 = 0.0305

    Mac worldwide market share Q4'07 = 3.05%

    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/04/23results.html
    fiscal 2008 second quarter ended March 29, 2008
    Q2'08 Apple shipped 2,289,000 Macintosh® computers

    http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=648619
    STAMFORD, Conn., April 16, 2008 — Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    million units in the first quarter of 2008

    2,289,000/71,100,000 = 0.0321

    Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.21%


    Summary:

    Mac worldwide market share Q1'07 = 2.41%

    Mac worldwide market share Q2'07 = 2.88%

    Mac worldwide market share Q3'07 = 3.15%

    Mac worldwide market share Q4'07 = 3.05%

    Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.21%


    Q1'07 compared to Q1'08

    Mac gain in worldwide market share = 0.8%

    http://www.systemshootouts.org/image...t_share_lg.gif

    Mac Market share from 1997 to Present.
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  2. Re: Mac Market Share Facts

    In article ,
    Edwin wrote:

    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    > fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    > Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers
    >
    > http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=503816
    > STAMFORD, Conn., April 18, 2007 ‹ Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    > million units in the first quarter of 2007
    >
    > 1,517,000/62,700,000 = 0.0241
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q1'07 = 2.41%
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/07/25results.html
    > 2007 third quarter ended June 30, 2007
    > Apple shipped 1,764,000 Macintosh® computers
    >
    > http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=509905
    > STAMFORD, Conn., July 18, 2007 ‹ Worldwide PC shipments totaled 61.1
    > million units in the second quarter of 2007
    >
    > 1,764,000/61,100,000 = 0.0288
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q2'07 = 2.88%
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/10/22results.html
    > fiscal 2007 fourth quarter ended September 29, 2007
    > Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh® computers
    >
    > http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=532712
    > STAMFORD, Conn., October 17, 2007 ‹ Worldwide PC shipments totaled
    > 68.5 million units in the third quarter of 2007
    >
    > 2,164,000/68,500,000 = 0.0315
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q3'07 = 3.15%
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/22results.html
    > fiscal 2008 first quarter ended December 29, 2007
    > Apple shipped 2,319,000 Macintosh® computers
    >
    > http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=584210
    > STAMFORD, Conn., January 16, 2008 ‹ Worldwide PC shipments totaled
    > 271.2 million units in 2007, a 13.4 percent increase from 2006,
    > according to preliminary results by Gartner, Inc. The industry ended
    > the year with fourth quarter PC shipments of 75.9 million units
    >
    > 2,319,000/75,900,000 = 0.0305
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q4'07 = 3.05%
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/04/23results.html
    > fiscal 2008 second quarter ended March 29, 2008
    > Q2'08 Apple shipped 2,289,000 Macintosh® computers
    >
    > http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=648619
    > STAMFORD, Conn., April 16, 2008 ‹ Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    > million units in the first quarter of 2008
    >
    > 2,289,000/71,100,000 = 0.0321
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.21%
    >
    >
    > Summary:
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q1'07 = 2.41%
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q2'07 = 2.88%
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q3'07 = 3.15%
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q4'07 = 3.05%
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.21%
    >
    >
    > Q1'07 compared to Q1'08
    >
    > Mac gain in worldwide market share = 0.8%
    >
    > http://www.systemshootouts.org/image...t_share_lg.gif
    >
    > Mac Market share from 1997 to Present.
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


    Edwin: if you post an almost verbatim repeat of a previous post...


    ....do you really think anyone is going to be fooled by your latest
    sockpuppet for even one minute?

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  3. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    Sgt. Friday wrote:

    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    > fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    > Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers



    While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    Linux has the biggest supported device driver list on the planet!!!

    Linux has the biggest envelope for highest frame rate/highest resolution
    PC games.

    There is 25,000 free software packages available for Linux
    with source code and its all free.
    Even if you could copy and install one a day, you would have
    only got through 3,600 after 10 years!!

    Superior desktop graphics
    Example go to www.youtube.com and search for ubuntu and compiz
    and see for yourself the most advanced Linux desktops.
    And its all free and available to all decent PCs costing
    no more than 300 pounds.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com



  4. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    In article ,
    7 wrote:
    > > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    > > fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    > > Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers

    >
    >
    > While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    > per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.


    1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    Appil Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil Corporation:

    > In article ,
    > 7 wrote:
    >> > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    >> > fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    >> > Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers

    >>
    >>
    >> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    >> per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    >
    > 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    > imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.



    Doh!
    Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!

    =====

    While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    Linux has the biggest supported device driver list on the planet!!!

    Linux has the biggest envelope for highest frame rate/highest resolution
    PC games.

    There is 25,000 free software packages available for Linux
    with source code and its all free.
    Even if you could copy and install one a day, you would have
    only got through 3,600 after 10 years!!

    Superior desktop graphics
    Example go to www.youtube.com and search for ubuntu and compiz
    and see for yourself the most advanced Linux desktops.
    And its all free and available to all decent PCs costing
    no more than 300 pounds.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com


  6. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    In article ,
    7 wrote:
    > Appil Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil Corporation:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > 7 wrote:
    > >> > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    > >> > fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    > >> > Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    > >> per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    > >
    > > 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    > > imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.

    >
    >
    > Doh!
    > Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!
    >
    > =====
    >
    > While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    > per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.


    1 million per week == 13 million per quarter, so your claim is that
    Linux is beating Mac over 8 to 1 each quarter.

    Yet the Mac users are visible. You can go stand outside an Apple store
    and see people walking out with Macs. You can go to airports, and see
    people working on Macs while waiting for their flights. You can go to
    coffee shops and see people on Macs. They are showing up in web logs.
    They are buying books about Macs. They are showing up in Mac software
    sales and downloads. You can go to professional conferences, and see
    more and more Macs in the audience. You can attend talks by Steve
    Ballmer, and find Mac users sitting next to egg throwers. :-)

    Your 13+ million Linux desktops per quarter seem to have fallen into a
    black hole.

    You could arguably dismiss any one or two of the areas where Macs are
    showing up as a fluke (e.g., Macs are known to be popular among arty
    types, and arty types hang out in coffee shops more than average people
    do, so you might expect more Macs there), but taken all together, there
    are a lot more Macs out there. Apple reports 1.5 million Macs in a
    quarter, and we see Macs show up.

    That simply does not happen with Linux. You claim over 8 times the
    installs each quarter as Macs, yet in nearly everyplace one looks
    outside of server rooms and embedded devices, there are far more Macs
    than Linux desktops. Hence, your Linux numbers are clearly a complete
    fantasy.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Tim Smith wrote
    (in article ):

    > In article ,
    > 7 wrote:
    >> Appil Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil Corporation:
    >>
    >>> In article ,
    >>> 7 wrote:
    >>>>> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    >>>>> fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    >>>>> Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    >>>> per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    >>>
    >>> 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    >>> imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.

    >>
    >>
    >> Doh!
    >> Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!
    >>
    >> =====
    >>
    >> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    >> per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    >
    > 1 million per week == 13 million per quarter, so your claim is that
    > Linux is beating Mac over 8 to 1 each quarter.
    >
    > Yet the Mac users are visible. You can go stand outside an Apple store
    > and see people walking out with Macs. You can go to airports, and see
    > people working on Macs while waiting for their flights. You can go to
    > coffee shops and see people on Macs. They are showing up in web logs.
    > They are buying books about Macs. They are showing up in Mac software
    > sales and downloads. You can go to professional conferences, and see
    > more and more Macs in the audience. You can attend talks by Steve
    > Ballmer, and find Mac users sitting next to egg throwers. :-)
    >
    > Your 13+ million Linux desktops per quarter seem to have fallen into a
    > black hole.
    >
    > You could arguably dismiss any one or two of the areas where Macs are
    > showing up as a fluke (e.g., Macs are known to be popular among arty
    > types, and arty types hang out in coffee shops more than average people
    > do, so you might expect more Macs there), but taken all together, there
    > are a lot more Macs out there. Apple reports 1.5 million Macs in a
    > quarter, and we see Macs show up.
    >
    > That simply does not happen with Linux. You claim over 8 times the
    > installs each quarter as Macs, yet in nearly everyplace one looks
    > outside of server rooms and embedded devices, there are far more Macs
    > than Linux desktops. Hence, your Linux numbers are clearly a complete
    > fantasy.
    >
    >


    If Linux was growing as fast as these Linuxheads are fantasizing that that it
    is, you would be seeing announcements in the computer press fairly regularly,
    that Microsoft is porting Office to Linux, that Adobe is porting CS3 to
    linux, that Quicken and Quickbooks were being ported to Linux. But you don't.
    That's because these 13 million desktops/quarter are imaginary desktops.

    Open source software is the reason why the major developers aren't porting
    their software to Linux, you say? Well, much of it is available for Mac as
    well, and I've GIMP installed, Inkscape, and Scribus installed and I have
    Open Office installed. They vary in usefulness from not very to merely OK.
    The best of the lot is OO, and it's a decent competitor to MS Office, but it
    has a way to go before its Office's equal. It also needs to maintain 100%
    compatibility with Office to replace it in the enterprise, and that's nowhere
    near "there". Believe me, Linux usage would go up considerably if there were
    some professional grade apps to go with it.


  8. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:58:35 -0700, George Graves wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Tim Smith wrote (in article
    > ):
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> 7 wrote:
    >>> Appil Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil Corporation:
    >>>
    >>>> In article , 7
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>>> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html fiscal 2007
    >>>>>> second quarter ended March 31, 2007 Apple shipped 1,517,000
    >>>>>> Macintosh® computers
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop
    >>>>> installations per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux
    >>>>> gadgets PER DAY.
    >>>>
    >>>> 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    >>>> imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Doh!
    >>> Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!
    >>>
    >>> =====
    >>>
    >>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop
    >>> installations per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets
    >>> PER DAY.

    >>
    >> 1 million per week == 13 million per quarter, so your claim is that
    >> Linux is beating Mac over 8 to 1 each quarter.
    >>
    >> Yet the Mac users are visible. You can go stand outside an Apple store
    >> and see people walking out with Macs. You can go to airports, and see
    >> people working on Macs while waiting for their flights. You can go to
    >> coffee shops and see people on Macs. They are showing up in web logs.
    >> They are buying books about Macs. They are showing up in Mac software
    >> sales and downloads. You can go to professional conferences, and see
    >> more and more Macs in the audience. You can attend talks by Steve
    >> Ballmer, and find Mac users sitting next to egg throwers. :-)
    >>
    >> Your 13+ million Linux desktops per quarter seem to have fallen into a
    >> black hole.
    >>
    >> You could arguably dismiss any one or two of the areas where Macs are
    >> showing up as a fluke (e.g., Macs are known to be popular among arty
    >> types, and arty types hang out in coffee shops more than average people
    >> do, so you might expect more Macs there), but taken all together, there
    >> are a lot more Macs out there. Apple reports 1.5 million Macs in a
    >> quarter, and we see Macs show up.
    >>
    >> That simply does not happen with Linux. You claim over 8 times the
    >> installs each quarter as Macs, yet in nearly everyplace one looks
    >> outside of server rooms and embedded devices, there are far more Macs
    >> than Linux desktops. Hence, your Linux numbers are clearly a complete
    >> fantasy.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > If Linux was growing as fast as these Linuxheads are fantasizing that
    > that it is, you would be seeing announcements in the computer press
    > fairly regularly, that Microsoft is porting Office to Linux, that Adobe
    > is porting CS3 to linux, that Quicken and Quickbooks were being ported
    > to Linux. But you don't. That's because these 13 million
    > desktops/quarter are imaginary desktops.
    >
    > Open source software is the reason why the major developers aren't
    > porting their software to Linux, you say? Well, much of it is available
    > for Mac as well, and I've GIMP installed, Inkscape, and Scribus
    > installed and I have Open Office installed. They vary in usefulness from
    > not very to merely OK. The best of the lot is OO, and it's a decent
    > competitor to MS Office, but it has a way to go before its Office's
    > equal. It also needs to maintain 100% compatibility with Office to
    > replace it in the enterprise, and that's nowhere near "there". Believe
    > me, Linux usage would go up considerably if there were some professional
    > grade apps to go with it.



    It may needs to maintain 100% compatibility with Office to replace it in
    the enterprise, but it doesn't need to maintain 100% compatibility with
    Office to compete with it.
    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > 7 wrote:
    >> Appil Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil Corporation:
    >>
    >>> In article ,
    >>> 7 wrote:
    >>>> > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    >>>> > fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    >>>> > Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    >>>> per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    >>>
    >>> 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    >>> imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.

    >>
    >>
    >> Doh!
    >> Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!
    >>
    >> =====
    >>
    >> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    >> per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    >
    > 1 million per week == 13 million per quarter, so your claim is that
    > Linux is beating Mac over 8 to 1 each quarter.


    mjcr isn't too bright.

    > Yet the Mac users are visible. You can go stand outside an Apple store
    > and see people walking out with Macs. You can go to airports, and see
    > people working on Macs while waiting for their flights. You can go to
    > coffee shops and see people on Macs. They are showing up in web logs.
    > They are buying books about Macs. They are showing up in Mac software
    > sales and downloads. You can go to professional conferences, and see
    > more and more Macs in the audience. You can attend talks by Steve
    > Ballmer, and find Mac users sitting next to egg throwers. :-)


    That's my point and I *do* see far more Macs lately than I have ever seen
    except in the early 80's in the schools.

    > Your 13+ million Linux desktops per quarter seem to have fallen into a
    > black hole.


    Exactly!

    Outside of comp. sci and engineering programs in Universities, Linux is
    just not seen on the desktop.

    So where are all these Linux desktop's hiding?

    > You could arguably dismiss any one or two of the areas where Macs are
    > showing up as a fluke (e.g., Macs are known to be popular among arty
    > types, and arty types hang out in coffee shops more than average people
    > do, so you might expect more Macs there), but taken all together, there
    > are a lot more Macs out there. Apple reports 1.5 million Macs in a
    > quarter, and we see Macs show up.


    Somewhat true, but I see regular business travelers using Macbooks etc
    where I used to see them with Thinkpads and Dell.

    I make it a point to look around when I travel and I can tell you for a
    fact, the Mac market share is growing in leaps and bounds.

    I don't think I have ever seen a business traveler running Linux.
    Ever.

    > That simply does not happen with Linux. You claim over 8 times the
    > installs each quarter as Macs, yet in nearly everyplace one looks
    > outside of server rooms and embedded devices, there are far more Macs
    > than Linux desktops. Hence, your Linux numbers are clearly a complete
    > fantasy.


    mjcr is a total fraud.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:58:35 -0700, George Graves wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Tim Smith wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> 7 wrote:
    >>> Appil Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil Corporation:
    >>>
    >>>> In article ,
    >>>> 7 wrote:
    >>>>>> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    >>>>>> fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    >>>>>> Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    >>>>> per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    >>>>
    >>>> 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    >>>> imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Doh!
    >>> Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!
    >>>
    >>> =====
    >>>
    >>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    >>> per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    >>
    >> 1 million per week == 13 million per quarter, so your claim is that
    >> Linux is beating Mac over 8 to 1 each quarter.
    >>
    >> Yet the Mac users are visible. You can go stand outside an Apple store
    >> and see people walking out with Macs. You can go to airports, and see
    >> people working on Macs while waiting for their flights. You can go to
    >> coffee shops and see people on Macs. They are showing up in web logs.
    >> They are buying books about Macs. They are showing up in Mac software
    >> sales and downloads. You can go to professional conferences, and see
    >> more and more Macs in the audience. You can attend talks by Steve
    >> Ballmer, and find Mac users sitting next to egg throwers. :-)
    >>
    >> Your 13+ million Linux desktops per quarter seem to have fallen into a
    >> black hole.
    >>
    >> You could arguably dismiss any one or two of the areas where Macs are
    >> showing up as a fluke (e.g., Macs are known to be popular among arty
    >> types, and arty types hang out in coffee shops more than average people
    >> do, so you might expect more Macs there), but taken all together, there
    >> are a lot more Macs out there. Apple reports 1.5 million Macs in a
    >> quarter, and we see Macs show up.
    >>
    >> That simply does not happen with Linux. You claim over 8 times the
    >> installs each quarter as Macs, yet in nearly everyplace one looks
    >> outside of server rooms and embedded devices, there are far more Macs
    >> than Linux desktops. Hence, your Linux numbers are clearly a complete
    >> fantasy.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > If Linux was growing as fast as these Linuxheads are fantasizing that that it
    > is, you would be seeing announcements in the computer press fairly regularly,
    > that Microsoft is porting Office to Linux, that Adobe is porting CS3 to
    > linux, that Quicken and Quickbooks were being ported to Linux. But you don't.
    > That's because these 13 million desktops/quarter are imaginary desktops.


    I'm not sure about MSOffice, I suspect Microsoft would want to keep that
    one for Windows and Mac however the others are a good point.
    Also you would see Dell etc advertising Linux machines.
    You don't.

    Linux is buried on the Dell site.


    > Open source software is the reason why the major developers aren't porting
    > their software to Linux, you say? Well, much of it is available for Mac as
    > well, and I've GIMP installed, Inkscape, and Scribus installed and I have
    > Open Office installed. They vary in usefulness from not very to merely OK.


    Some of it is decent.
    Much of it is terrible.
    People want decent help systems as well.


    > The best of the lot is OO, and it's a decent competitor to MS Office, but it
    > has a way to go before its Office's equal. It also needs to maintain 100%
    > compatibility with Office to replace it in the enterprise, and that's nowhere
    > near "there". Believe me, Linux usage would go up considerably if there were
    > some professional grade apps to go with it.


    I'm not so sure.
    Open Office is ok for the basic stuff but it is slow and certainly not as
    good as Office.
    Also people are nervous about compatibility.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:06:37 -0700, Rick wrote
    (in article ):

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:58:35 -0700, George Graves wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Tim Smith wrote (in article
    >> ):
    >>
    >>> In article ,
    >>> 7 wrote:
    >>>> Appil Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil Corporation:
    >>>>
    >>>>> In article , 7
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>>> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html fiscal 2007
    >>>>>>> second quarter ended March 31, 2007 Apple shipped 1,517,000
    >>>>>>> Macintosh® computers
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop
    >>>>>> installations per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux
    >>>>>> gadgets PER DAY.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    >>>>> imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Doh!
    >>>> Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!
    >>>>
    >>>> =====
    >>>>
    >>>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop
    >>>> installations per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets
    >>>> PER DAY.
    >>>
    >>> 1 million per week == 13 million per quarter, so your claim is that
    >>> Linux is beating Mac over 8 to 1 each quarter.
    >>>
    >>> Yet the Mac users are visible. You can go stand outside an Apple store
    >>> and see people walking out with Macs. You can go to airports, and see
    >>> people working on Macs while waiting for their flights. You can go to
    >>> coffee shops and see people on Macs. They are showing up in web logs.
    >>> They are buying books about Macs. They are showing up in Mac software
    >>> sales and downloads. You can go to professional conferences, and see
    >>> more and more Macs in the audience. You can attend talks by Steve
    >>> Ballmer, and find Mac users sitting next to egg throwers. :-)
    >>>
    >>> Your 13+ million Linux desktops per quarter seem to have fallen into a
    >>> black hole.
    >>>
    >>> You could arguably dismiss any one or two of the areas where Macs are
    >>> showing up as a fluke (e.g., Macs are known to be popular among arty
    >>> types, and arty types hang out in coffee shops more than average people
    >>> do, so you might expect more Macs there), but taken all together, there
    >>> are a lot more Macs out there. Apple reports 1.5 million Macs in a
    >>> quarter, and we see Macs show up.
    >>>
    >>> That simply does not happen with Linux. You claim over 8 times the
    >>> installs each quarter as Macs, yet in nearly everyplace one looks
    >>> outside of server rooms and embedded devices, there are far more Macs
    >>> than Linux desktops. Hence, your Linux numbers are clearly a complete
    >>> fantasy.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> If Linux was growing as fast as these Linuxheads are fantasizing that
    >> that it is, you would be seeing announcements in the computer press
    >> fairly regularly, that Microsoft is porting Office to Linux, that Adobe
    >> is porting CS3 to linux, that Quicken and Quickbooks were being ported
    >> to Linux. But you don't. That's because these 13 million
    >> desktops/quarter are imaginary desktops.
    >>
    >> Open source software is the reason why the major developers aren't
    >> porting their software to Linux, you say? Well, much of it is available
    >> for Mac as well, and I've GIMP installed, Inkscape, and Scribus
    >> installed and I have Open Office installed. They vary in usefulness from
    >> not very to merely OK. The best of the lot is OO, and it's a decent
    >> competitor to MS Office, but it has a way to go before its Office's
    >> equal. It also needs to maintain 100% compatibility with Office to
    >> replace it in the enterprise, and that's nowhere near "there". Believe
    >> me, Linux usage would go up considerably if there were some professional
    >> grade apps to go with it.

    >
    >
    > It may needs to maintain 100% compatibility with Office to replace it in
    > the enterprise, but it doesn't need to maintain 100% compatibility with
    > Office to compete with it.
    >


    You just repeated what I said.


  12. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    In article ,
    wrote:

    > > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html
    > > fiscal 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007
    > > Apple shipped 1,517,000 Macintosh® computers

    >
    >
    > While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop installations
    > per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    Where is your cite?
    Everyone else can see this is idiotic; show us why YOU believe it.

    > Linux has the biggest supported device driver list on the planet!!!

    So where does that matter?
    Do you figure this is a discussion about all devices of all kinds?

    > Linux has the biggest envelope for highest frame rate/highest resolution
    > PC games.

    Fine -- so take it to the Windows group. They love unsupported and
    stupid claims of superiority.

    > There is 25,000 free software packages available for Linux
    > with source code and its all free.
    > Even if you could copy and install one a day, you would have
    > only got through 3,600 after 10 years!!
    >
    > Superior desktop graphics
    > Example go to www.youtube.com and search for ubuntu and compiz
    > and see for yourself the most advanced Linux desktops.
    > And its all free and available to all decent PCs costing
    > no more than 300 pounds.

    Okay; you've made a couple arguments for Linux.
    Do you know any against it?
    - Technical learning curve?
    - Annoying inconsistencies?
    - Frequent maintenance and upgrading tasks?
    - no people liable for problems
    - in most ways, similar to Windows UIs

  13. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    In article ,
    wrote:

    > > 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    > > imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.

    >
    >
    > Doh!
    > Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!


    Are you sure?

    You just claimed that Linux numbers go up by 1M every week -- and still
    hasn't got much market share!

    How many computers do you think there are in the world?

  14. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > That simply does not happen with Linux. You claim over 8 times the
    > installs each quarter as Macs, yet in nearly everyplace one looks
    > outside of server rooms and embedded devices, there are far more Macs
    > than Linux desktops. Hence, your Linux numbers are clearly a complete
    > fantasy.


    Outside of Best Buy, I've seen only /one/ Mac, belonging to a family
    friend who visited from California.

    I know far more desktop Linux users than Mac users.

    Of course, that's just the view through my little peephole!

    --
    It's possible, you can never know, that the universe exists only for me. If so,
    it's sure going well for me, I must admit.
    -- Bill Gates, TIME magazine Vol. 149, No. 2 (13 January 1997)

  15. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    * George Graves peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Open source software is the reason why the major developers aren't porting
    > their software to Linux, you say? Well, much of it is available for Mac as
    > well, and I've GIMP installed, Inkscape, and Scribus installed and I have
    > Open Office installed. They vary in usefulness from not very to merely OK.
    > The best of the lot is OO, and it's a decent competitor to MS Office, but it
    > has a way to go before its Office's equal. It also needs to maintain 100%
    > compatibility with Office to replace it in the enterprise, and that's nowhere
    > near "there". Believe me, Linux usage would go up considerably if there were
    > some professional grade apps to go with it.


    Don't be idiotic. GNU/Linux supports quite a few professional-grade
    applications, and the usage of Linux has about tripled in the last few
    years (less than five) by various metrics.

    With essentially /no/ advertising.

    --
    I believe that if you show people the problems and you show them the
    solutions they will be moved to act.
    -- Bill Gates

  16. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    7 wrote:

    > Superior desktop graphics
    > Example go to www.youtube.com and search for ubuntu and compiz
    > and see for yourself the most advanced Linux desktops.


    "5 minutes after I installed compiz-fusion my sytem froze again. Since I
    putted compiz with the trash I don't seem to have any problems again."

    #54 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=freeze&page=6


    Also, results 1 - 10 of about 129,000 for compiz fusion crashes.




  17. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:33:31 -0700, George Graves wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:06:37 -0700, Rick wrote (in article
    > ):
    >
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:58:35 -0700, George Graves wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:38:29 -0700, Tim Smith wrote (in article
    >>> ):
    >>>
    >>>> In article , 7
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>> Appil Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil Corporation:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> In article , 7
    >>>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>>>> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/25results.html fiscal
    >>>>>>>> 2007 second quarter ended March 31, 2007 Apple shipped 1,517,000
    >>>>>>>> Macintosh® computers
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop
    >>>>>>> installations per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux
    >>>>>>> gadgets PER DAY.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> 1.5 million actual Mac sales are a lot more interesting than your
    >>>>>> imaginary 13 million Linux desktops.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Doh!
    >>>>> Shows what appil asstroturfer know about counting!!!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> =====
    >>>>>
    >>>>> While Linux has improved its position to 1 million+ desktop
    >>>>> installations per week and sales of 1 million+ embedded Linux
    >>>>> gadgets PER DAY.
    >>>>
    >>>> 1 million per week == 13 million per quarter, so your claim is that
    >>>> Linux is beating Mac over 8 to 1 each quarter.
    >>>>
    >>>> Yet the Mac users are visible. You can go stand outside an Apple
    >>>> store and see people walking out with Macs. You can go to airports,
    >>>> and see people working on Macs while waiting for their flights. You
    >>>> can go to coffee shops and see people on Macs. They are showing up
    >>>> in web logs. They are buying books about Macs. They are showing up
    >>>> in Mac software sales and downloads. You can go to professional
    >>>> conferences, and see more and more Macs in the audience. You can
    >>>> attend talks by Steve Ballmer, and find Mac users sitting next to egg
    >>>> throwers. :-)
    >>>>
    >>>> Your 13+ million Linux desktops per quarter seem to have fallen into
    >>>> a black hole.
    >>>>
    >>>> You could arguably dismiss any one or two of the areas where Macs are
    >>>> showing up as a fluke (e.g., Macs are known to be popular among arty
    >>>> types, and arty types hang out in coffee shops more than average
    >>>> people do, so you might expect more Macs there), but taken all
    >>>> together, there are a lot more Macs out there. Apple reports 1.5
    >>>> million Macs in a quarter, and we see Macs show up.
    >>>>
    >>>> That simply does not happen with Linux. You claim over 8 times the
    >>>> installs each quarter as Macs, yet in nearly everyplace one looks
    >>>> outside of server rooms and embedded devices, there are far more Macs
    >>>> than Linux desktops. Hence, your Linux numbers are clearly a
    >>>> complete fantasy.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> If Linux was growing as fast as these Linuxheads are fantasizing that
    >>> that it is, you would be seeing announcements in the computer press
    >>> fairly regularly, that Microsoft is porting Office to Linux, that
    >>> Adobe is porting CS3 to linux, that Quicken and Quickbooks were being
    >>> ported to Linux. But you don't. That's because these 13 million
    >>> desktops/quarter are imaginary desktops.
    >>>
    >>> Open source software is the reason why the major developers aren't
    >>> porting their software to Linux, you say? Well, much of it is
    >>> available for Mac as well, and I've GIMP installed, Inkscape, and
    >>> Scribus installed and I have Open Office installed. They vary in
    >>> usefulness from not very to merely OK. The best of the lot is OO, and
    >>> it's a decent competitor to MS Office, but it has a way to go before
    >>> its Office's equal. It also needs to maintain 100% compatibility with
    >>> Office to replace it in the enterprise, and that's nowhere near
    >>> "there". Believe me, Linux usage would go up considerably if there
    >>> were some professional grade apps to go with it.

    >>
    >>
    >> It may needs to maintain 100% compatibility with Office to replace it
    >> in the enterprise, but it doesn't need to maintain 100% compatibility
    >> with Office to compete with it.
    >>
    >>

    > You just repeated what I said.


    I will rephrase: Open Office is a very good replacement for a large
    number of people right now.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    George Graves wrote:

    >If Linux was growing as fast as these Linuxheads are fantasizing


    Not all "Linuxheads" are "fantasizing", "digital music expert" George
    Graves. (Well, I do, about Sandra Bullock, but that's another issue
    entirely.)

    There may be one or two rather "kooky" advocates who may exaggerate.
    That doesn't mean that "Linuxheads" are not, in general, reasonable,
    realistic people.


  19. Re: Linux Market Share Facts

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 04:35:41 -0700, Linonut wrote
    (in article ):

    > * George Graves peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Open source software is the reason why the major developers aren't porting
    >> their software to Linux, you say? Well, much of it is available for Mac as
    >> well, and I've GIMP installed, Inkscape, and Scribus installed and I have
    >> Open Office installed. They vary in usefulness from not very to merely OK.
    >> The best of the lot is OO, and it's a decent competitor to MS Office, but
    >> it
    >> has a way to go before its Office's equal. It also needs to maintain 100%
    >> compatibility with Office to replace it in the enterprise, and that's
    >> nowhere
    >> near "there". Believe me, Linux usage would go up considerably if there
    >> were
    >> some professional grade apps to go with it.

    >
    > Don't be idiotic. GNU/Linux supports quite a few professional-grade
    > applications, and the usage of Linux has about tripled in the last few
    > years (less than five) by various metrics.


    Name these "professional grade" applications and compare them with their
    shrink-wrap equivalents. Major features will do nicely. No need to go
    overboard.

    In short, if these "professional grade" applications do exist, most of us
    have never seen or heard of them.


  20. Re: Linux Market Share Facts


    "George Graves" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C45C1BA70000CEA0F01846D8@news.comcast. net...
    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 04:35:41 -0700, Linonut wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >> * George Graves peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Open source software is the reason why the major developers aren't
    >>> porting
    >>> their software to Linux, you say? Well, much of it is available for Mac
    >>> as
    >>> well, and I've GIMP installed, Inkscape, and Scribus installed and I
    >>> have
    >>> Open Office installed. They vary in usefulness from not very to merely
    >>> OK.
    >>> The best of the lot is OO, and it's a decent competitor to MS Office,
    >>> but
    >>> it
    >>> has a way to go before its Office's equal. It also needs to maintain
    >>> 100%
    >>> compatibility with Office to replace it in the enterprise, and that's
    >>> nowhere
    >>> near "there". Believe me, Linux usage would go up considerably if there
    >>> were
    >>> some professional grade apps to go with it.

    >>
    >> Don't be idiotic. GNU/Linux supports quite a few professional-grade
    >> applications, and the usage of Linux has about tripled in the last few
    >> years (less than five) by various metrics.

    >
    > Name these "professional grade" applications and compare them with their
    > shrink-wrap equivalents. Major features will do nicely. No need to go
    > overboard.
    >
    > In short, if these "professional grade" applications do exist, most of us
    > have never seen or heard of them.



    At the "enterprise level" there are things like Oracle, SAP and stuff like
    that which is available for linux and other operating systems. This is to be
    expected because linux is popular in the server room.

    When it comes to the desktop however, the professional grade choices are
    rather limited.



    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast