Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...] - Linux

This is a discussion on Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...] - Linux ; In article , "Sgt. Friday" wrote: > > Not only that, but Apple has always been legendary in the "product > > placement" arena. Do you think that all those Macs in the sets of > > "Night Court" (1984!), ...

  1. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    In article <62e8f$4835c2aa$3890@news.teranews.com>,
    "Sgt. Friday" wrote:
    > > Not only that, but Apple has always been legendary in the "product
    > > placement" arena. Do you think that all those Macs in the sets of
    > > "Night Court" (1984!), "Seinfeld", etc., etc. are there by
    > > coincidence?

    > Paid advertisement.

    Not necessarily. Harry Anderson, if I recall correctly, was a prominent
    Mac user (and might have even been a developer). There's a good chance
    Macs were on "Night Court" because of him.

    Alton Brown is a big Mac user, and that's why Macs are on "Good Eats"
    and "Iron Chef America", although that's not really the same, because
    the computers on those shows are being used as part of the show, rather
    than just as decoration.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  2. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    -hh wrote:
    > "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> "-hh" wrote:
    >>> "Ezekiel" wrote:

    >> But if somebody wants a "Mac" then there really
    >> aren't any choices other than Apple.

    > Agreed. Apple has successfully achieved fairly significant product
    > differentiation and is thus able to 'charge more' (within reason) for
    > their product.
    >
    >> Generic x86 "Windows" hardware is a commodity
    >> market but there's only one vendor of "Mac" PCs.

    > There's also only one vendor of Windows OS.

    Toys R Us?

    I think you'll find quite a few vendors selling Windows OS. Perhaps
    you guys mean "manufacturer" rather than "vendor?"

  3. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article <62e8f$4835c2aa$3890@news.teranews.com>,
    > "Sgt. Friday" wrote:
    >>> Not only that, but Apple has always been legendary in the "product
    >>> placement" arena. Do you think that all those Macs in the sets of
    >>> "Night Court" (1984!), "Seinfeld", etc., etc. are there by
    >>> coincidence?

    >> Paid advertisement.

    > Not necessarily. Harry Anderson, if I recall correctly, was a prominent
    > Mac user (and might have even been a developer). There's a good chance
    > Macs were on "Night Court" because of him.
    >
    > Alton Brown is a big Mac user, and that's why Macs are on "Good Eats"
    > and "Iron Chef America", although that's not really the same, because
    > the computers on those shows are being used as part of the show, rather
    > than just as decoration.

    How much of their salaries do you think they sacrificed to compensate
    their producers for the loss of advertising revenue?

  4. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On 2008-05-22, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On May 22, 1:12 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> there's also a complete lack of competition for Mac products.

    > The important point is that it has been US (the people who pay for all
    > the hardware and software), we are the ones who have accorded to trust
    > some companies with the *privilege* of being a near monopoly.
    > Companies such as Apple, Cisco and AAA come to mind. Apple has earned
    > such privilege bestowed upon them by the laws of the market and
    > marketing based on talent, geniality, hard work and above all: they
    > play by the rules. They have shown along the years that they can be
    > trusted. They are seen as leaders. Apple is nowadays the most admired
    > company in the USA, while Microsoft is dropping like a sack of cement.
    >
    > I keep on reading about the latest "iPhone killer". How come they
    > fail, one after another?

    ....my guess would be disinterest.

    While the iPhone certainly has it's enthusiasts most people simply
    don't care. End users aren't that interested in buying one (as they
    aren't that excited about the original) and the main competitors in
    that space are more interested in selling airtime than mp3 players.

    [deletia]

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  5. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message

    >>> You didn't specify what "doing better" meant.

    >> Fair enough. I was actually talking about "doing better" in the general
    >> sense. Number of users.... available applications and their quality...
    >> community support... all that stuff. If you can also make a profit with
    >> this then that certainly doesn't hurt either.
    >>
    >>> Here are some indicators that Linux is widely used:
    >>>
    >>> http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php
    >>>
    >>> http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
    >>>
    >>> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Commu...nger-002.shtml
    >>>
    >>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...x-support.html
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html

    >> Well... the very first one I clicked on with the Yahoo-Messenger. It's
    >> because I installed it on a new laptop recently. The (Windows) version
    >> that I installed was version 8.1 and was released just a few weeks ago.
    >>
    >> Your "indicators" of how widely Linux is used would worry me if I were a
    >> desktop linux fan. Like I said, I clicked on the Yahoo Messenger link
    >> first. And what do I see? An ancient version of Yahoo-Messenger (1.0.4
    >> not 8.1) and the web-page also says "Last Updated: June 15th, 2005
    >> 08:52 ) which is three full years ago.

    > Still, it is available for Linux.

    That's not the point. Because an ancient no longer maintained version is
    available somewhere that doesn't support all of the new features is hardly
    going to acceptable to people when the alternative is new, up to date and
    supports all of the features.

    >> So I look at the Second Life link. Why is the Linux version still in
    >> beta after being out for all these years? Is somebody actually working
    >> on this because linux is the only version that's in beta. The versions
    >> for the other OS's are all finished and all the features work.

    > Which doesn't mean the Linux features don't work.

    Well the release notes tell the story. As of about a month ago, the linux
    version still crashed parsing command line args. Support for new features
    (video, etc) are features that don't work or have very limited support.

    >> Yeah... that's certainly an "indicator" of desktop linux. No argument
    >> here.

    > Why did you stop short of BOINC, Silverlight, Firefox, and Thunderbird?

    Some software (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc.) is going to be
    current. But rarely more current than the Windows version. Basically with
    one OS users get to run all of the latest software. On the other OS some of
    the software is current but lots isn't. That's how it's going to be viewed.

    > How about the Asus Eee PC? Or the Nokia 770, 800, and 810? Those are
    > popular Linux devices.

    True. However, many of these are used as dedicated "devices" and not
    general purpose computers. Most people (unless you're a computer geek)
    don't know or care what OS their iPod, cell-phone or PDA runs.

  6. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >> On May 22, 2:05 pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote:
    >>
    >>> They fail one after the other because they are cheap copies of the real
    >>> thing.
    >>>

    >> Your explanation is rather poor, because it fails to explain:
    >>
    >> (1) The huge success of the PC clone, since 1982 until today.
    >>
    >> (2) The total failure of the Zune.

    > Unless it's a law of physics, there's execptions to every rule.
    >
    > I would be very, very surprised if anybody here ever claimed that the Zune
    > was going to be an "iPod killer." But there are several posts from the likes
    > of Roy Schestowitz claiming how this-and-that and some wizpy and some other
    > linux based crappola was going to be the next "iPod killer" or "iPhone
    > killer" when in reality they all turned out to be duds.
    >
    > You think that the Zune is a total failure??? Last I checked it was doing
    > about 1000x better than most of those linux based "iPod killers" that
    > Schestowitz keeps drooling over.

    Check again.

    The Linux based mp3 players are holding their own quite well.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  7. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On 2008-05-22, George Graves wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:12:31 -0700, Ezekiel wrote
    > (in article ):
    >

    >>> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "The news that Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market mush have
    >>> sent shivers through some of the big OEMs. Part of Apple’s runaway
    >>> success has to be down to the fact that the company and its products
    >>> are seen as being cool and stylish. Could an OEM like Dell ever be as
    >>> cool and as stylish as Apple?"
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1903&tag=nl.e539
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/6epa7q
    >>>
    >>> -RFH

    >> I saw this last night. A part (a big part) is that there is soooo much
    >> competition in the PC/Windows segment which causes prices to be more
    >> competitive and lower. Apple... yeah there's certainly that "glitz" factor
    >> but there's also a complete lack of competition for Mac products.
    >>
    >> You forgot to mention the part where lots of people who buy these expensive
    >> Macs immediately format the hard drive and install linux.

    > That's bull****. Only a fool would do that.

    ....what you do is buy one of the "cheap" Macs and reformat it.

    Yes, there are Macs that are genuinely "cheap" compared to the
    competition even without getting into the lame "feature" mapping
    that Apple chearleaders like so much.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  8. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On 2008-05-22, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On May 22, 2:59 pm, "Sgt. Friday" wrote:
    >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    >> > Not only that, but Apple has always been legendary in the "product
    >> > placement" arena. Do you think that all those Macs in the sets of
    >> > "Night Court" (1984!), "Seinfeld", etc., etc. are there by
    >> > coincidence?

    >> Paid advertisement.
    >>

    > You have a problem with that? You a commie? I thought you pinkos were
    > extincted.
    >
    > The Bond movies provide an excellent example of product placement.
    > Some of the older movies displayed only Ford cars, then it was
    > Chevrolets. Lately it has been BMW. Do you think that the Bond
    > producers will accept some crappy car, just because they paid more?

    ....well, you were the one that mentioned Ford and Chevy.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  9. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    * Ramon F Herrera peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Some of the advertising is for free. I doubt that Apple pays a penny
    > to Bill Amend, the author of the FoxTrot.
    >
    > http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/

    Huh? He mentions only the "iFruit"

    --
    The best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to
    study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to

  10. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message

    >>> Fair enough. I was actually talking about "doing better" in the general
    >>> sense. Number of users.... available applications and their quality...
    >>> community support... all that stuff. If you can also make a profit with
    >>> this then that certainly doesn't hurt either.

    >>> Well... the very first one I clicked on with the Yahoo-Messenger. It's
    >>> because I installed it on a new laptop recently. The (Windows) version
    >>> that I installed was version 8.1 and was released just a few weeks ago.
    >>>
    >>> Your "indicators" of how widely Linux is used would worry me if I were a
    >>> desktop linux fan. Like I said, I clicked on the Yahoo Messenger link
    >>> first. And what do I see? An ancient version of Yahoo-Messenger (1.0.4
    >>> not 8.1) and the web-page also says "Last Updated: June 15th, 2005
    >>> 08:52 ) which is three full years ago.

    >> Still, it is available for Linux.

    > That's not the point. Because an ancient no longer maintained version is
    > available somewhere that doesn't support all of the new features is hardly
    > going to acceptable to people when the alternative is new, up to date and
    > supports all of the features.

    Such as this up to date Linux alternative?

    http://www.phrozensmoke.com/projects/pyvoicechat/

    "Welcome to the home of Gyach Enhanced (Gyach-E) and pY! Voice Chat.
    Gyach Enhanced is currently THE most feature-rich Yahoo! client for
    Linux operating systems. It is an unofficial fork of the original Gyach,
    and supports almost all of the features you would expect to find on the
    official Windows Yahoo! client: Voice chat, webcams, faders,
    'nicknames', audibles, avatars, display images, and more. Yet, it
    remains very light-weight and memory-friendly."

    >>> So I look at the Second Life link. Why is the Linux version still in
    >>> beta after being out for all these years? Is somebody actually working
    >>> on this because linux is the only version that's in beta. The versions
    >>> for the other OS's are all finished and all the features work.

    >> Which doesn't mean the Linux features don't work.

    > Well the release notes tell the story. As of about a month ago, the linux
    > version still crashed parsing command line args. Support for new features
    > (video, etc) are features that don't work or have very limited support.

    Why is it there at all, if nobody is using Linux?

    >>> Yeah... that's certainly an "indicator" of desktop linux. No argument
    >>> here.

    >> Why did you stop short of BOINC, Silverlight, Firefox, and Thunderbird?

    > Some software (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc.) is going to be
    > current.

    Why is that going to be current for an OS nobody is using?

    > But rarely more current than the Windows version. Basically with
    > one OS users get to run all of the latest software. On the other OS some of
    > the software is current but lots isn't. That's how it's going to be viewed.

    I see you're still avoiding answering why M$ brought out Sliverlight for
    Linux.

    >> How about the Asus Eee PC? Or the Nokia 770, 800, and 810? Those are
    >> popular Linux devices.

    > True. However, many of these are used as dedicated "devices" and not
    > general purpose computers. Most people (unless you're a computer geek)
    > don't know or care what OS their iPod, cell-phone or PDA runs.

    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo..._says_idc.html

    "Eee PC helps Asustek become sixth largest PC vendor, says IDC"

    Linux has been a success, whether or not its users even knew they were
    using Linux.

  11. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On May 22, 6:24 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * Ramon F Herrera peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > Some of the advertising is for free. I doubt that Apple pays a penny
    > > to Bill Amend, the author of the FoxTrot.

    > > http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/

    > Huh? He mentions only the "iFruit"

    There's more than that:

    http://patriot.net/~ramon/Jason.png

    Greedy or evangelist? You decide.

    -RFH

  12. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:03:25 -0700, JEDIDIAH wrote
    (in article ):

    > On 2008-05-22, George Graves wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:12:31 -0700, Ezekiel wrote
    >> (in article ):

    >>> I saw this last night. A part (a big part) is that there is soooo much
    >>> competition in the PC/Windows segment which causes prices to be more
    >>> competitive and lower. Apple... yeah there's certainly that "glitz" factor
    >>> but there's also a complete lack of competition for Mac products.
    >>>
    >>> You forgot to mention the part where lots of people who buy these
    >>> expensive
    >>> Macs immediately format the hard drive and install linux.

    >> That's bull****. Only a fool would do that.

    > ...what you do is buy one of the "cheap" Macs and reformat it.
    >
    > Yes, there are Macs that are genuinely "cheap" compared to the
    > competition even without getting into the lame "feature" mapping
    > that Apple chearleaders like so much.

    But you can get a much faster, more feature laden (hardware) Windows box
    (with no OS) for far less than you can buy the cheapest Mac Mini. It makes no
    sense. The only reason to buy a Mac is to run OSX, otherwise it makes ZERO
    sense to me.

  13. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 14:40:35 -0700, Tim Smith wrote
    (in article
    ):

    > In article <62e8f$4835c2aa$3890@news.teranews.com>,
    > "Sgt. Friday" wrote:
    >>> Not only that, but Apple has always been legendary in the "product
    >>> placement" arena. Do you think that all those Macs in the sets of
    >>> "Night Court" (1984!), "Seinfeld", etc., etc. are there by
    >>> coincidence?

    >> Paid advertisement.

    > Not necessarily. Harry Anderson, if I recall correctly, was a prominent
    > Mac user (and might have even been a developer). There's a good chance
    > Macs were on "Night Court" because of him.
    >
    > Alton Brown is a big Mac user, and that's why Macs are on "Good Eats"
    > and "Iron Chef America", although that's not really the same, because
    > the computers on those shows are being used as part of the show, rather
    > than just as decoration.

    They are also used in shows like "CSI Miami" as lab computers. But you people
    are making a mountain out of a simple molehill (as usual). Macs are usually
    picked for sets by the set designers and dressers because of their LOOKS. A
    current iMac is a handsome, elegant and stylish machine that looks good
    sitting on a desk in a crime lab (and just about anywhere else). That's all
    there is to it. Nobody pays for product placement in these cases its just
    part of the overall set design. To make any more out of it than that is sheer
    paranoia (Edwin!).

  14. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On May 22, 8:42 pm, George Graves wrote:

    > are making a mountain out of a simple molehill (as usual). Macs are usually
    > picked for sets by the set designers and dressers because of their LOOKS.

    You are stating an educated guess. What I stated is a fact. There was
    an article in an advertising magazine (no, I don't have the URL)
    precisely about this fact: Apple is legendary by their product
    placement strategies. They have been doing this for as long as they
    exist - or at the very least since the Macintosh exist.

    Another factor (this is an educated guess) has to be the artistic
    type: they tend to make movies (etc.) and they tend to use Macs.

    Yet another factor: Mac users have a much stronger tendency towards
    evangelism, they are militants, much more so than the PC drones.

    -RFH

    ps:

    I just retouched this:

    http://patriot.net/~ramon/Jason.png

  15. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On May 22, 8:42 pm, George Graves wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 14:40:35 -0700, Tim Smith wrote
    > (in article
    > ):

    > >> Paid advertisement.

    > > Not necessarily. Harry Anderson, if I recall correctly, was a prominent
    > > Mac user (and might have even been a developer). There's a good chance
    > > Macs were on "Night Court" because of him.

    > > Alton Brown is a big Mac user, and that's why Macs are on "Good Eats"
    > > and "Iron Chef America", although that's not really the same, because
    > > the computers on those shows are being used as part of the show, rather
    > > than just as decoration.

    > Nobody pays for product placement in these cases its just
    > part of the overall set design.

    When you talk about payment, did you consider the difference of paying
    in cash vs. paying in kind (i.e., paying with computers)? Haven't you
    see a gazillion shows: "Considerations for this program were given by
    (airlines, hotels, etc., etc.)".

    If you are the artistic type, and need some computers (which may end
    up on your desk) for your set, would you call Dell or Apple?

    -RFH

  16. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On May 22, 2:42*pm, George Graves wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 14:40:35 -0700, Tim Smith wrote
    > (in article
    > ):

    > >> Paid advertisement.

    > > Not necessarily. *Harry Anderson, if I recall correctly, was a prominent
    > > Mac user (and might have even been a developer). *There's a good chance
    > > Macs were on "Night Court" because of him.

    > > Alton Brown is a big Mac user, and that's why Macs are on "Good Eats"
    > > and "Iron Chef America", although that's not really the same, because
    > > the computers on those shows are being used as part of the show, rather
    > > than just as decoration.

    > They are also used in shows like "CSI Miami" as lab computers. But you people
    > are making a mountain out of a simple molehill (as usual). Macs are usually
    > picked for sets by the set designers and dressers because of their LOOKS. A
    > current iMac is a handsome, elegant and stylish machine that looks good
    > sitting on a desk in a crime lab (and just about anywhere else). That's all
    > there is to it. Nobody pays for product placement in these cases its just
    > part of the overall set design. To make any more out of it than that is sheer
    > paranoia (Edwin!).

    I've also noticed that, when screenshots are shown, they are quite
    likely to be from Macs. I know that here in Hawaii, at least 2 of the
    local network affiliates show Mac screenshots when they show pictures
    of their websites.
    --
    Dave Fritzinger
    Honolulu, HI

  17. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    "More recently, Apple's products frequently appear in films and on
    television, Apple have stated that they do not pay for this.[citation
    needed]. (Notably, recognizable Apple products have appeared in
    newspaper comic strips, including Opus, Baby Blues, Non Sequitur, and
    FoxTrot, even though paid placement in comics is all but unknown.) "

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_placement

    -RFH

  18. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > "The news that Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    > PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market mush have
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1903&tag=nl.e539
    > http://tinyurl.com/6epa7q

    Sounds impressive until you remember you don't need to spend $1,000+ anymore
    for a powerful Windows PC that will run rings around the much costlier Mac -
    and give you access to a much better universe of software and games.

  19. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On May 22, 10:45 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > Windows PC that will run rings around

    Now I understand...

    They run rings, get dizzy, and inevitably crash.

    -RFH

  20. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:53:08 -0700, Dave Fritzinger wrote
    (in article
    <2fd8830a-8aae-414f-8bd7-0aa19601e3ba@h1g2000prh.googlegroups.com>):

    > On May 22, 2:42*pm, George Graves wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 14:40:35 -0700, Tim Smith wrote
    >> (in article
    >> ):

    >>> Not necessarily. *Harry Anderson, if I recall correctly, was a prominent
    >>> Mac user (and might have even been a developer). *There's a good chance
    >>> Macs were on "Night Court" because of him.

    >>> Alton Brown is a big Mac user, and that's why Macs are on "Good Eats"
    >>> and "Iron Chef America", although that's not really the same, because
    >>> the computers on those shows are being used as part of the show, rather
    >>> than just as decoration.

    >> They are also used in shows like "CSI Miami" as lab computers. But you
    >> people
    >> are making a mountain out of a simple molehill (as usual). Macs are usually
    >> picked for sets by the set designers and dressers because of their LOOKS. A
    >> current iMac is a handsome, elegant and stylish machine that looks good
    >> sitting on a desk in a crime lab (and just about anywhere else). That's all
    >> there is to it. Nobody pays for product placement in these cases its just
    >> part of the overall set design. To make any more out of it than that is
    >> sheer
    >> paranoia (Edwin!).

    > I've also noticed that, when screenshots are shown, they are quite
    > likely to be from Macs. I know that here in Hawaii, at least 2 of the
    > local network affiliates show Mac screenshots when they show pictures
    > of their websites.
    > --
    > Dave Fritzinger
    > Honolulu, HI