Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...] - Linux

This is a discussion on Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...] - Linux ; Ramon F Herrera wrote: > On May 22, 2:12 pm, chrisv wrote: >> Ramon F Herrera wrote: >>> Part of Apple’s runaway >>> success has to be down to the fact that the company and its products >>> are seen ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 123

Thread: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

  1. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On May 22, 2:12 pm, chrisv wrote:
    >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>> Part of Apple’s runaway
    >>> success has to be down to the fact that the company and its products
    >>> are seen as being cool and stylish. Could an OEM like Dell ever be as
    >>> cool and as stylish as Apple?"

    >
    >> I must say those Apple ads, with the hip young guy as "the Mac" and
    >> the dorky old guy as "the PC", were pretty effective...

    >
    > Not only that, but Apple has always been legendary in the "product
    > placement" arena. Do you think that all those Macs in the sets of
    > "Night Court" (1984!), "Seinfeld", etc., etc. are there by
    > coincidence?


    Paid advertisement.

    > Some of the advertising is for free. I doubt that Apple pays a penny
    > to Bill Amend, the author of the FoxTrot.


    Can you prove that?
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  2. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On May 22, 2:02 pm, Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:54:34 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > The important point is that it has been US (the people who pay for all
    > > the hardware and software), we are the ones who have accorded to trust
    > > some companies with the *privilege* of being a near monopoly.

    >


    > True, but do please explain how that accords with the 'laws of the
    > market'.
    >


    Simple. The public perception of a "superior product" and an "inferior
    product" plays an obvious role.

    The IBM PC Junior (aka Peanut), the Ford Edsel, etc. are some examples
    of "Vista products".

    -RFH


  3. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:12:31 -0700, Ezekiel wrote
    (in article ):

    >
    >> "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >> news:1e9f0a14-68df-4177-a133->ce9df307229a@56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...
    >>
    >> "The news that Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market mush have
    >> sent shivers through some of the big OEMs. Part of Apple’s runaway
    >> success has to be down to the fact that the company and its products
    >> are seen as being cool and stylish. Could an OEM like Dell ever be as
    >> cool and as stylish as Apple?"
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1903&tag=nl.e539
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6epa7q
    >>
    >> -RFH

    >
    > I saw this last night. A part (a big part) is that there is soooo much
    > competition in the PC/Windows segment which causes prices to be more
    > competitive and lower. Apple... yeah there's certainly that "glitz" factor
    > but there's also a complete lack of competition for Mac products.
    >
    > You forgot to mention the part where lots of people who buy these expensive
    > Macs immediately format the hard drive and install linux.


    That's bull****. Only a fool would do that.


  4. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Steve Hix wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>
    >>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market

    >> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.

    >
    > Riiiiiiight.
    >
    > Anyone can have their own opinions, and do; you don't get to have your
    > own facts.



    "Facts are facts whether or not you or I can prove them." -- Alan Baker
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  5. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    In article <62e8f$4835c2aa$3890@news.teranews.com>,
    "Sgt. Friday" wrote:

    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > On May 22, 2:12 pm, chrisv wrote:
    > >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > >>> Part of Apple¹s runaway
    > >>> success has to be down to the fact that the company and its products
    > >>> are seen as being cool and stylish. Could an OEM like Dell ever be as
    > >>> cool and as stylish as Apple?"

    > >
    > >> I must say those Apple ads, with the hip young guy as "the Mac" and
    > >> the dorky old guy as "the PC", were pretty effective...

    > >
    > > Not only that, but Apple has always been legendary in the "product
    > > placement" arena. Do you think that all those Macs in the sets of
    > > "Night Court" (1984!), "Seinfeld", etc., etc. are there by
    > > coincidence?

    >
    > Paid advertisement.


    Can you prove that?

    >
    > > Some of the advertising is for free. I doubt that Apple pays a penny
    > > to Bill Amend, the author of the FoxTrot.

    >
    > Can you prove that?


    LOL

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  6. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    In article <3515b$4835c430$4615@news.teranews.com>,
    "Sgt. Friday" wrote:

    > Steve Hix wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Robin T Cox wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    > >>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market
    > >> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.

    > >
    > > Riiiiiiight.
    > >
    > > Anyone can have their own opinions, and do; you don't get to have your
    > > own facts.

    >
    >
    > "Facts are facts whether or not you or I can prove them." -- Alan Baker


    And it's still correct, Edwin.

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  7. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    >> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market

    >
    > Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.


    Please provide support for that conclusion.
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  8. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    In article ,
    "Sgt. Friday" wrote:

    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    > > On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > >
    > >> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    > >> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market

    > >
    > > Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.

    >
    > Please provide support for that conclusion.


    Right after you provide support for your conclusion that Apple product
    placements in movies and televisions programs are "Paid
    advertisements"...

    Well, Edwin?

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  9. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On May 22, 2:59 pm, "Sgt. Friday" wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > On May 22, 2:12 pm, chrisv wrote:
    > >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > >>> Part of Apple’s runaway
    > >>> success has to be down to the fact that the company and its products
    > >>> are seen as being cool and stylish. Could an OEM like Dell ever be as
    > >>> cool and as stylish as Apple?"

    >
    > >> I must say those Apple ads, with the hip young guy as "the Mac" and
    > >> the dorky old guy as "the PC", were pretty effective...

    >
    > > Not only that, but Apple has always been legendary in the "product
    > > placement" arena. Do you think that all those Macs in the sets of
    > > "Night Court" (1984!), "Seinfeld", etc., etc. are there by
    > > coincidence?

    >


    > Paid advertisement.
    >


    You have a problem with that? You a commie? I thought you pinkos were
    extincted.

    The Bond movies provide an excellent example of product placement.
    Some of the older movies displayed only Ford cars, then it was
    Chevrolets. Lately it has been BMW. Do you think that the Bond
    producers will accept some crappy car, just because they paid more?

    How about the most successful franchise (Star Wars). Is it also "paid"
    advertising?

    -RFH


  10. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]


    "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    news:aba43$4835c4c5$4615@news.teranews.com...
    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>
    >>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market

    >>
    >> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.

    >
    > Please provide support for that conclusion.


    The hillarious thing is how these propreitary operating systems this fool
    thinks are "biting the dust" are all doing far better than his "free"
    operating system.



    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  11. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On May 22, 2:05 pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote:

    > They fail one after the other because they are cheap copies of the real
    > thing.
    >



    Your explanation is rather poor, because it fails to explain:

    (1) The huge success of the PC clone, since 1982 until today.

    (2) The total failure of the Zune.

    -RFH



  12. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]


    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    news:9eb92206-e16f-439e-9ea5-8fbd05b856b3@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
    > On May 22, 2:05 pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote:
    >
    >> They fail one after the other because they are cheap copies of the real
    >> thing.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Your explanation is rather poor, because it fails to explain:
    >
    > (1) The huge success of the PC clone, since 1982 until today.
    >
    > (2) The total failure of the Zune.


    Unless it's a law of physics, there's execptions to every rule.

    I would be very, very surprised if anybody here ever claimed that the Zune
    was going to be an "iPod killer." But there are several posts from the likes
    of Roy Schestowitz claiming how this-and-that and some wizpy and some other
    linux based crappola was going to be the next "iPod killer" or "iPhone
    killer" when in reality they all turned out to be duds.

    You think that the Zune is a total failure??? Last I checked it was doing
    about 1000x better than most of those linux based "iPod killers" that
    Schestowitz keeps drooling over.


    > -RFH
    >
    >



    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  13. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    > news:aba43$4835c4c5$4615@news.teranews.com...
    >> Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >>>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market
    >>> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.

    >> Please provide support for that conclusion.

    >
    > The hillarious thing is how these propreitary operating systems this fool
    > thinks are "biting the dust" are all doing far better than his "free"
    > operating system.


    It's easy to be more profitable when your competition is free software.
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  14. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:18:38 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > On May 22, 2:05 pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote:
    >
    >> They fail one after the other because they are cheap copies of the real
    >> thing.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Your explanation is rather poor, because it fails to explain:
    >
    > (1) The huge success of the PC clone, since 1982 until today.
    >
    > (2) The total failure of the Zune.
    >
    > -RFH


    Cheap...meaning not as well made, not as good, not price although sometimes
    that is an issue as well, the PC Clones for example cost a lot less than an
    IBM at the time.
    However, they were pretty much made as good and performed just as well as
    the overpriced IBMs.

    The Zune is a perfect example.
    Not as good as the iPod.




    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]


    "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    news:d185a$4835ca2f$6846@news.teranews.com...
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    >> news:aba43$4835c4c5$4615@news.teranews.com...
    >>> Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >>>>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market
    >>>> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.
    >>> Please provide support for that conclusion.

    >>
    >> The hillarious thing is how these propreitary operating systems this fool
    >> thinks are "biting the dust" are all doing far better than his "free"
    >> operating system.

    >
    > It's easy to be more profitable when your competition is free software.


    Who's talking about profits? I'm talking about the actual number of people
    using the product.




    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  16. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > "-hh" wrote:
    > > "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > >>...

    > But if somebody wants a "Mac" then there really
    > aren't any choices other than Apple.


    Agreed. Apple has successfully achieved fairly significant product
    differentiation and is thus able to 'charge more' (within reason) for
    their product.

    > Generic x86 "Windows" hardware is a commodity
    > market but there's only one vendor of "Mac" PCs.


    There's also only one vendor of Windows OS. While it can be argued
    that they've taken a different angle on the marketplace, the stark
    reality is that their Enterprise-level licences are not 'commodity
    cheap', particularly since they marginalized Novell (let alone Lotus,
    Corel, Harvard Graphics, etc).


    > > ...the Windows hardware market [...] has been
    > > a price-centric commodity "food fight" for years,
    > > with the requisite razor-thin profit levels
    > > inherent to commodity markets,

    >
    > Margins are thin but the low cost (and reduced
    > quality) allow the computers to be easily replaced
    > at shorter intervals. At the end of the day it's
    > become a low-cost high quantity market.


    I don't disagree, but more frequent replacement at short intervals
    isn't really an aspect of the commodity market per se, but rather a
    case of questionable economic wisdom in product lifecycle costs
    management. To a certain degree, this can come about by buying
    'trailing edge' technology at a steep discount, even though the price
    of doing so is that it has a shorter pragmatic life, which doesn't
    necessarily result in a net overall gain. In general, while it is a
    good idea to look for the shoulder/knee in the costerformance curve,
    there are other cost factors that aren't necessarily as obvious and
    are thus, prone to being overlooked.


    > >*The last time that I happened to have run prices,
    > > [Mac Pro] was $1000 cheaper than Dell's closest match.

    >
    > Could be. I haven't compared prices and I just
    > ate lunch and I'm feeling too tired to do so right now.


    I found it in a thread from this past March.

    The baseline was the $2799 Mac Pro. Granted, not a typical home PC,
    but it is part of Apple's quite finite product line.

    The Dell equivalent was the Precision T7400, which at that time did
    not use the same 1600MHz FSB dual quad core 2.8GHz Xeon, but the
    1333MHz E5440. Nevertheless, configuring the Dell to match the Mac
    Pro's specs at the base $2799 point, the Dell comes in
    at $4,023+, which is 43% more expensive than the Mac Pro.


    > > To be fair, I have seen reports of Linux users
    > > doing just this, but I would personally hesitate
    > > to claim that their segment is significant
    > > unless I had numbers to back up just such a claim...


    > It's an inside joke. A while ago someone posted
    > here how Apple Mac sales rose something like 58%
    > (made that number up) over the same quarter a year
    > ago. One of the die-hard linux "advocates" responded
    > by saying that Mac sales may be high but we don't
    > know how many people converted their Macs to
    > Linux. The implication being that there is some
    > significant number of people who buy a Mac for
    > the purpose of running linux on it.


    Ah, I missed (or ignored) that particular go-around. I do recall the
    one comparing growth percentages, as the smaller the starting base is,
    the more significant-looking a "%-change" metric can appear.


    > I'll agree that the number of people who do this
    > is greater than zero but it's closer to zero than
    > to any appreciable percentile.


    Understood & agreed. It would be nice to see more competition on the
    PC desktop in the way of Linux being a more popular alternative, but I
    personally suspect that the prevalence of "free" pirated Windows
    software is a strong factor in many consumer markets.



    > It was an inside joke in response to a laughable
    > claim made here by an "advocate" that implied that
    > some worthwhile number of Macs being sold are
    > converted to linux.


    During lunch, I put my crack research team online to research that
    question. Their answer is that there there are currently exactly 23
    Mac laptops converted to use Linux an in use. Twenty are being used
    by a select group of short Zürich bankers; the other 3 are in use by
    Discordians who frequent COLA.


    -hh

  17. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    > news:d185a$4835ca2f$6846@news.teranews.com...
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    >>> news:aba43$4835c4c5$4615@news.teranews.com...
    >>>> Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >>>>>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market
    >>>>> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.
    >>>> Please provide support for that conclusion.
    >>> The hillarious thing is how these propreitary operating systems this fool
    >>> thinks are "biting the dust" are all doing far better than his "free"
    >>> operating system.

    >> It's easy to be more profitable when your competition is free software.

    >
    > Who's talking about profits? I'm talking about the actual number of people
    > using the product.


    You didn't specify what "doing better" meant.

    Here are some indicators that Linux is widely used:

    http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php

    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Commu...nger-002.shtml

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...x-support.html

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  18. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    In article <44b64$4835d1e8$11963@news.teranews.com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    > > "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    > > news:d185a$4835ca2f$6846@news.teranews.com...
    > >> Ezekiel wrote:
    > >>> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    > >>> news:aba43$4835c4c5$4615@news.teranews.com...
    > >>>> Robin T Cox wrote:
    > >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    > >>>>>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market
    > >>>>> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.
    > >>>> Please provide support for that conclusion.
    > >>> The hillarious thing is how these propreitary operating systems this fool
    > >>> thinks are "biting the dust" are all doing far better than his "free"
    > >>> operating system.
    > >> It's easy to be more profitable when your competition is free software.

    > >
    > > Who's talking about profits? I'm talking about the actual number of people
    > > using the product.

    >
    > You didn't specify what "doing better" meant.
    >
    > Here are some indicators that Linux is widely used:
    >
    > http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php
    >
    > http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
    >
    > http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Commu...nger-002.shtml
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-silverlight-1
    > -0-announces-linux-support.html
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


    Nice of you to finally admit that Mac OS X is widely used, Edwin!

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  19. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]


    "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    news:44b64$4835d1e8$11963@news.teranews.com...
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    >> news:d185a$4835ca2f$6846@news.teranews.com...
    >>> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    >>>> news:aba43$4835c4c5$4615@news.teranews.com...
    >>>>> Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >>>>>>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market
    >>>>>> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.
    >>>>> Please provide support for that conclusion.
    >>>> The hillarious thing is how these propreitary operating systems this
    >>>> fool thinks are "biting the dust" are all doing far better than his
    >>>> "free" operating system.
    >>> It's easy to be more profitable when your competition is free software.

    >>
    >> Who's talking about profits? I'm talking about the actual number of
    >> people using the product.

    >
    > You didn't specify what "doing better" meant.


    Fair enough. I was actually talking about "doing better" in the general
    sense. Number of users.... available applications and their quality...
    community support... all that stuff. If you can also make a profit with
    this then that certainly doesn't hurt either.

    > Here are some indicators that Linux is widely used:
    >
    > http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php
    >
    > http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
    >
    > http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Commu...nger-002.shtml
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...x-support.html
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html


    Well... the very first one I clicked on with the Yahoo-Messenger. It's
    because I installed it on a new laptop recently. The (Windows) version that
    I installed was version 8.1 and was released just a few weeks ago.

    Your "indicators" of how widely Linux is used would worry me if I were a
    desktop linux fan. Like I said, I clicked on the Yahoo Messenger link
    first. And what do I see? An ancient version of Yahoo-Messenger (1.0.4 not
    8.1) and the web-page also says "Last Updated: June 15th, 2005 08:52 )
    which is three full years ago.

    So I look at the Second Life link. Why is the Linux version still in beta
    after being out for all these years? Is somebody actually working on this
    because linux is the only version that's in beta. The versions for the
    other OS's are all finished and all the features work.


    Yeah... that's certainly an "indicator" of desktop linux. No argument here.





    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  20. Re: Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of PCs [...]

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    > news:44b64$4835d1e8$11963@news.teranews.com...
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    >>> news:d185a$4835ca2f$6846@news.teranews.com...
    >>>> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>> "Sgt. Friday" wrote in message
    >>>>> news:aba43$4835c4c5$4615@news.teranews.com...
    >>>>>> Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>>>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:23 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Apple now commands a massive 66% of the market share of
    >>>>>>>> PCs costing more than $1,000 and 14% of the overall market
    >>>>>>> Translation: Another proprietary operating system bites the dust.
    >>>>>> Please provide support for that conclusion.
    >>>>> The hillarious thing is how these propreitary operating systems this
    >>>>> fool thinks are "biting the dust" are all doing far better than his
    >>>>> "free" operating system.
    >>>> It's easy to be more profitable when your competition is free software.
    >>> Who's talking about profits? I'm talking about the actual number of
    >>> people using the product.

    >> You didn't specify what "doing better" meant.

    >
    > Fair enough. I was actually talking about "doing better" in the general
    > sense. Number of users.... available applications and their quality...
    > community support... all that stuff. If you can also make a profit with
    > this then that certainly doesn't hurt either.
    >
    >> Here are some indicators that Linux is widely used:
    >>
    >> http://secondlife.com/support/downloads.php
    >>
    >> http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
    >>
    >> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Commu...nger-002.shtml
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...x-support.html
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html

    >
    > Well... the very first one I clicked on with the Yahoo-Messenger. It's
    > because I installed it on a new laptop recently. The (Windows) version that
    > I installed was version 8.1 and was released just a few weeks ago.
    >
    > Your "indicators" of how widely Linux is used would worry me if I were a
    > desktop linux fan. Like I said, I clicked on the Yahoo Messenger link
    > first. And what do I see? An ancient version of Yahoo-Messenger (1.0.4 not
    > 8.1) and the web-page also says "Last Updated: June 15th, 2005 08:52 )
    > which is three full years ago.


    Still, it is available for Linux.

    > So I look at the Second Life link. Why is the Linux version still in beta
    > after being out for all these years? Is somebody actually working on this
    > because linux is the only version that's in beta. The versions for the
    > other OS's are all finished and all the features work.


    Which doesn't mean the Linux features don't work.

    > Yeah... that's certainly an "indicator" of desktop linux. No argument here.


    Why did you stop short of BOINC, Silverlight, Firefox, and Thunderbird?

    How about the Asus Eee PC? Or the Nokia 770, 800, and 810? Those are
    popular Linux devices.
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast