Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Search Engine Tactic Called "Bribery as a Business Model" - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Search Engine Tactic Called "Bribery as a Business Model" - Linux ; * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo: > How this kind of thing works - Soft Bribery > > ,----[ Quote ] >| "We really like the work you're doing. Say, it looks like this deal isn't >| going ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Search Engine Tactic Called "Bribery as a Business Model"

    > How this kind of thing works - Soft Bribery
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "We really like the work you're doing. Say, it looks like this deal isn't
    >| going to go our way - but if it does, we'll need a partner to help us
    >| interoperate with the existing infrastructure - you installed a lot of it, so
    >| you're first in line and we'd like to book you in advance just to make sure
    >| we can get you. What are your rates? Well, we'd like to make sure we have you
    >| for at least six months and we actually pay a set rate in this area of $$$.
    >| Is that OK? We'll fax over our proposed contract right now, we're pretty
    >| eager to go ahead with this, so just to lock in our booking we'll deposit the
    >| first 25% of the contract as soon as you fax it back to us, is that good with
    >| you? Refundable if we don't get the deal of course. Commercial in confidence,
    >| naturally. Let us know ASAP, and good luck with the deal!"
    >|
    >| The contract was over triple what the linux deal would have
    >| earned....
    > `----
    >
    > http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...d&cid=22866970

    Maybe that's what happened to DFS?

    --
    I really had a lot of dreams when I was a kid, and I think a great deal of
    that grew out of the fact that I had a chance to read a lot.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Search Engine Tactic Called "Bribery as a Business Model"

    ____/ Linonut on Thursday 22 May 2008 16:37 : \____

    >> How this kind of thing works - Soft Bribery
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| "We really like the work you're doing. Say, it looks like this deal isn't
    >>| going to go our way - but if it does, we'll need a partner to help us
    >>| interoperate with the existing infrastructure - you installed a lot of it,
    >>| so you're first in line and we'd like to book you in advance just to make
    >>| sure we can get you. What are your rates? Well, we'd like to make sure we
    >>| have you for at least six months and we actually pay a set rate in this
    >>| area of $$$. Is that OK? We'll fax over our proposed contract right now,
    >>| we're pretty eager to go ahead with this, so just to lock in our booking
    >>| we'll deposit the first 25% of the contract as soon as you fax it back to
    >>| us, is that good with you? Refundable if we don't get the deal of course.
    >>| Commercial in confidence, naturally. Let us know ASAP, and good luck with
    >>| the deal!"
    >>|
    >>| The contract was over triple what the linux deal would have
    >>| earned....
    >> `----

    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...d&cid=22866970

    > Maybe that's what happened to DFS?

    Incentives/rewards are the way Microsoft works with most of its shills,
    including bloggers whom it voluntarily (out of the blue) sends laptops.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | No SCO code was used to generate this sig
    18:05:04 up 37 days, 16:17, 4 users, load average: 2.13, 1.58, 1.65

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Search Engine Tactic Called "Bribery as a Business Model"

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:06:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Incentives/rewards are the way Microsoft works with most of its shills,
    > including bloggers whom it voluntarily (out of the blue) sends laptops.

    So who is paying you, Roy Schestowitz, to SPAM every corner of the Internet
    24x7 with your paranoia?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: