[News] Windows Vista Debacle to Help Mac OS and GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Windows Vista Debacle to Help Mac OS and GNU/Linux

    Windows XP Continues to Win Over Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All Doom and Gloom for Windows? I think this is where Microsoft's existing
    | Windows market share comes into play, regardless of how unimpressive a
    | Windows release is, the end user often times finds themselves alright with
    | using an older copy of the OS.
    |
    | In the future, there is evidence that the migration to OS X and Linux will
    | continue to grow. However, OS X is limited to one line of computers, while
    | Linux still needs to get a stronger marketplace presence with the mainstream
    | audience.
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...785&Itemid=449

    Related:

    Survey Says … Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Okay, now lets tie this all back in together. Novell claimed several months
    | back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
    | 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
    | some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
    | 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
    | Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
    | was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
    `----

    http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/d...-vs-linux.html

    Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
    | a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
    | Linux distribution of choice. *
    `----

    http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/p...19940,p,0.html

    Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
    | has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
    | in the past year. *
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatc...es/013576.html

    Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For starters, almost 20,000 self-selected users filled out this year's survey
    | compared with fewer than 10,000 in 2006's survey.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In those businesses and organizations that have deployed Linux desktops, 39.5
    | percent are running Linux on more than half of their machines.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

  2. Re: [News] Windows Vista Debacle to Help Mac OS and GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:04:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I think this is where Microsoft's existing Windows market share comes
    > into play, regardless of how unimpressive a Windows release is, the
    > end user often times finds themselves alright with using an older copy
    > of the OS.

    Along with the MS invention of the restore point, for use when the system
    crashes, this is all part of the MS 'Back to the Future' strategy.

    Windows - the OS for folks who can't let go of the past, but who are
    fearful of the future.

  3. Re: [News] Windows Vista Debacle to Help Mac OS and GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Windows XP Continues to Win Over Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | All Doom and Gloom for Windows? I think this is where Microsoft's existing
    > | Windows market share comes into play, regardless of how unimpressive a
    > | Windows release is, the end user often times finds themselves alright with
    > | using an older copy of the OS.
    > |
    > | In the future, there is evidence that the migration to OS X and Linux will
    > | continue to grow. However, OS X is limited to one line of computers, while
    > | Linux still needs to get a stronger marketplace presence with the mainstream
    > | audience.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...785&Itemid=449

    "while Linux still needs to get a stronger marketplace presence with the
    mainstream audience."

    What on earth does "market presence" mean? Go head-to-head with MS in
    the market? What these folks fail to realize is that MS is a convicted,,
    but not reined-in monopoly. No sane investor is going to do what they
    suggest until the playing field is leveled. If the market was truly
    open, we'd see mass MS defection by now.

  4. Re: [News] Windows Vista Debacle to Help Mac OS and GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:29:08 -0700, Philip wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Windows XP Continues to Win Over Vista
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| All Doom and Gloom for Windows? I think this is where Microsoft's existing
    >>| Windows market share comes into play, regardless of how unimpressive a
    >>| Windows release is, the end user often times finds themselves alright with
    >>| using an older copy of the OS.
    >>|
    >>| In the future, there is evidence that the migration to OS X and Linux will
    >>| continue to grow. However, OS X is limited to one line of computers, while
    >>| Linux still needs to get a stronger marketplace presence with the mainstream
    >>| audience.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...785&Itemid=449

    > "while Linux still needs to get a stronger marketplace presence with the
    > mainstream audience."
    >
    > What on earth does "market presence" mean? Go head-to-head with MS in
    > the market? What these folks fail to realize is that MS is a convicted,,
    > but not reined-in monopoly. No sane investor is going to do what they
    > suggest until the playing field is leveled. If the market was truly
    > open, we'd see mass MS defection by now.

    Typical Linux nut.....
    LIEnix users have as many excuses as the typical Linux distribution has
    editors.

    The point that the Linux loons seem to miss is that Linux is FREE.

    Stop making excuses for the lack of interest in desktop Linux and start
    fixing the problem, and it is a serious problem.

    When something that is free is virtually ignored compared to the expensive
    alternatives (Windows), the free product has a serious problem.

    Figure it out and fix it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] Windows Vista Debacle to Help Mac OS and GNU/Linux

    Philip wrote:

    >What on earth does "market presence" mean? Go head-to-head with MS in
    >the market? What these folks fail to realize is that MS is a convicted,,
    >but not reined-in monopoly.

    What? According to ****headed asshole trolling fsckwits like Quack
    and DFS, there is no M$ monopoly, because you can install Linux, or
    you can buy a Mac!

    Why didn't the M$ lawyers think of that?

    Judge: "Procede with your defense."

    M$ lawyer: "Your Honor, we cannot possibly have abused our alleged
    monopoly position, because there is no monopoly. Anyone can buy a
    Mac, if they want. The defense rests."

    Judge: "Case dismissed."

    Shortest fscking trial ever, eh? Those M$ lawyers must be utterly
    incompetent to not to have used this obvious, air-tight defense!

    Or could it be that a company need not have 100% of a market to have
    what is, as a practical and a legal matter, monopoly power in that
    market?

    Sheesh!

  6. Re: [News] Windows Vista Debacle to Help Mac OS and GNU/Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Thu, 22 May 2008 13:49:58 -0400
    <18tabaixaqp55.12bpqfma8hoot$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:29:08 -0700, Philip wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Continues to Win Over Vista
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...785&Itemid=449

    >> "while Linux still needs to get a stronger marketplace presence with the
    >> mainstream audience."
    >>
    >> What on earth does "market presence" mean? Go head-to-head with MS in
    >> the market? What these folks fail to realize is that MS is a convicted,,
    >> but not reined-in monopoly. No sane investor is going to do what they
    >> suggest until the playing field is leveled. If the market was truly
    >> open, we'd see mass MS defection by now.

    > Typical Linux nut.....
    > LIEnix users have as many excuses as the typical Linux distribution has
    > editors.
    >
    > The point that the Linux loons seem to miss is that Linux is FREE.
    >
    > Stop making excuses for the lack of interest in desktop Linux and start
    > fixing the problem, and it is a serious problem.

    "The" problem? There are many problems with Linux --
    the big one being ignorance, perhaps, but there are a fair
    number of others.

    [1] Microsoft is a better solution. It's not because of
    technical capability or throughput, goodness knows, but
    because more people know and trust Windows -- if only to
    fall down at certain times and show a certain color of
    screen, but most can work around that with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    If they're lucky.

    [2] Linux's fractured GUI. Snit and I have been going
    around on this, with Rick interjecting an occasional
    comment. I'll admit I don't know how to properly fix
    this without revamping the organizational structure of
    Trolltech (KDE/Qt), Gnome.org, Open.org (Motif), and
    maybe LessTif. Basically, everyone has to get on the
    same page -- literally, if one throws HTML into the mix
    as well, since HTML+Javascript makes perfectly good popup
    menus and movable widgets.

    Ideally, no one would be able to tell them apart;
    they'd look the same, act the same, essentially *be*
    the same, given certain config settings. We're not quite
    there yet.

    (Neither is Windows, really. But is there a real
    difference between glade-3's output XML file, which
    describes widget layouts, and an HTML page? Apart from the
    format and a fair amount of technical implementation crud,
    I for one don't see any.)

    [3] Various setup issues...the big ones coming to
    mind are audio, WiFi, and to a lesser extent display;
    X configuration in particular can get interesting on
    laptop setups, which are effectively dual-monitor.
    Windows handles all three automatically.

    [4] Last but certainly not least, the OEMs's tendency to
    view Windows as the default solution for any user
    that needs a desktop computer. That's a combination of
    good marketing and licensing.

    > When something that is free is virtually ignored compared to the expensive
    > alternatives (Windows), the free product has a serious problem.
    >
    > Figure it out and fix it.

    May not be worth fixing; just buy Vista and have done with it.
    Vista, after all, is a workable solution, is it not?

    Or maybe not. Depends on whose reports one believes.
    Personally, I like Unix -- and by association Linux;
    for me, it's a more reliable solution.

    But not necessarily for you.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.