ODF - Brussels response to MS Press Release - Linux

This is a discussion on ODF - Brussels response to MS Press Release - Linux ; MEMO/08/324 Brussels, 22nd May 2008 Antitrust: Commission takes note of Microsoft's announcement on supporting ODF in Office The European Commission has taken note of Microsoft's announcement on 21st May concerning supporting ODF in Office. The Commission would welcome any step ...

  1. ODF - Brussels response to MS Press Release

    MEMO/08/324

    Brussels, 22nd May 2008
    Antitrust: Commission takes note of Microsoft's announcement on
    supporting ODF in Office

    The European Commission has taken note of Microsoft's announcement on
    21st May concerning supporting ODF in Office. The Commission would
    welcome any step that Microsoft took towards genuine interoperability,
    more consumer choice and less vendor lock-in. In its ongoing antitrust
    investigation concerning interoperability with Microsoft Office (see
    MEMO/08/19), the Commission will investigate whether the announced
    support of ODF (OpenDocument format) in Office leads to better
    interoperability and allows consumers to process and exchange their
    documents with the software product of their choice.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...guiLanguage=en

    (Roy: I think this is the way that diplomats say what you said,
    like "We'll look into this, but if it's just vapourware, or broken, it
    changes nowt!)

    Also, a little bit in El Reg, titled
    "EC takes own sweet time backing Microsoft ODF move
    Interoperable? We'll be the judge of that":-

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...t_odf_support/

  2. Re: ODF - Brussels response to MS Press Release

    ____/ bbgruff on Thursday 22 May 2008 13:52 : \____

    > MEMO/08/324
    >
    > Brussels, 22nd May 2008
    > Antitrust: Commission takes note of Microsoft's announcement on
    > supporting ODF in Office
    >
    > The European Commission has taken note of Microsoft's announcement on
    > 21st May concerning supporting ODF in Office. The Commission would
    > welcome any step that Microsoft took towards genuine interoperability,
    > more consumer choice and less vendor lock-in. In its ongoing antitrust
    > investigation concerning interoperability with Microsoft Office (see
    > MEMO/08/19), the Commission will investigate whether the announced
    > support of ODF (OpenDocument format) in Office leads to better
    > interoperability and allows consumers to process and exchange their
    > documents with the software product of their choice.

    http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...guiLanguage=en

    > (Roy: I think this is the way that diplomats say what you said,
    > like "We'll look into this, but if it's just vapourware, or broken, it
    > changes nowt!)

    Redmond, 23rd May 2008
    Trust!Us!: Microsoft takes note of EC's announcement on pardon

    The Convicted Monopolist has taken note of Neelie's announcement on
    22nd May concerning supporting fine refunds in 2081.

    (bbgruff: *I think this is the way that Tony Soprano says what you said,
    like "We'll look into this, but if it's just boiler-room, or broken kneecaps,
    we give them a deal they cannot refuse!)

    > Also, a little bit in El Reg, titled
    > "EC takes own sweet time backing Microsoft ODF move
    > Interoperable? We'll be the judge of that":-
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...t_odf_support/

    Microsoft is MAD, just as McBride said that "SCO is MAD." The top execs have
    left (Ballmer among the few top seniors who stayed) and they juggle compliant
    and lock-in.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | No SCO code was used to generate this sig
    18:05:04 up 37 days, 16:17, 4 users, load average: 2.13, 1.58, 1.65