how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system? - Linux

This is a discussion on how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system? - Linux ; On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote: > On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote: > > >> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr >> >> There are a number of articles. > > And what if this is your only machine ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

  1. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>
    >> There are a number of articles.

    >
    > And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed the
    > machine?


    Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".

    It's hosing a microscopic part of it.

    >
    > Your answer is a prime reason why LIEnix is free only if your time is free.


    No, it is you that is playing the part of a drama queen.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?


    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    news:slrng3broh.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    > On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>>
    >>> There are a number of articles.

    >>
    >> And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed
    >> the
    >> machine?

    >
    > Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".
    >
    > It's hosing a microscopic part of it.


    For 99% of the population when they turn on the computer, and it's
    completely unusable and doesn't boot because of some cryptic grub message
    then their machine is hosed. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.


    >>
    >> Your answer is a prime reason why LIEnix is free only if your time is
    >> free.

    >
    > No, it is you that is playing the part of a drama queen.


    Perhaps you might try playing the part of someone who has a clue of how
    typical consumers view their computers.



    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  3. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > news:slrng3broh.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >> On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>>>
    >>>> There are a number of articles.
    >>>
    >>> And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed
    >>> the
    >>> machine?

    >>
    >> Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".
    >>
    >> It's hosing a microscopic part of it.

    >
    > For 99% of the population when they turn on the computer, and it's
    > completely unusable and doesn't boot because of some cryptic grub message
    > then their machine is hosed. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.


    Disabled doesn't equal destroyed, consumer fright notwithstanding.

    I can provide a car analogy if you like.

    >
    >
    >>>
    >>> Your answer is a prime reason why LIEnix is free only if your time is
    >>> free.

    >>
    >> No, it is you that is playing the part of a drama queen.

    >
    > Perhaps you might try playing the part of someone who has a clue of how
    > typical consumers view their computers


    I think that even my most computer illiterate mother-in-law
    understands the difference between her machine not booting and all
    of her data being destroyed. As easily as a Windows machine can be
    effectively disabled, the drama queen mentality may be far less
    prevalent than you think.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?


    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    news:slrng3bt7f.c31.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    > On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> news:slrng3broh.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>> On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>>>>
    >>>>> There are a number of articles.
    >>>>
    >>>> And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed
    >>>> the
    >>>> machine?
    >>>
    >>> Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".
    >>>
    >>> It's hosing a microscopic part of it.

    >>
    >> For 99% of the population when they turn on the computer, and it's
    >> completely unusable and doesn't boot because of some cryptic grub
    >> message
    >> then their machine is hosed. It's absolutely ridiculous to think
    >> otherwise.

    >


    > Disabled doesn't equal destroyed, consumer fright notwithstanding.


    Consumer fright notwithstanding??? To average Joe who's computer is now a
    paper-weight that's the equivalent of saying: "Not withstanding your
    husband the President getting shot in the head and assassinated, how did
    you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?"



    > I can provide a car analogy if you like.


    The last pathetic refuge of every linux advocate... a stupid car analogy.


    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  5. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 18:20:30 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > news:slrng3broh.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >> On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>>>
    >>>> There are a number of articles.
    >>>
    >>> And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed
    >>> the
    >>> machine?

    >>
    >> Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".
    >>
    >> It's hosing a microscopic part of it.

    >
    > For 99% of the population when they turn on the computer, and it's
    > completely unusable and doesn't boot because of some cryptic grub message
    > then their machine is hosed. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.


    You're responding to Jedi who is a relic from the past.
    He makes huge assumptions and expects people to know things (fdisk/mbr)
    that he happens to know.


    >
    >>>
    >>> Your answer is a prime reason why LIEnix is free only if your time is
    >>> free.

    >>
    >> No, it is you that is playing the part of a drama queen.

    >
    > Perhaps you might try playing the part of someone who has a clue of how
    > typical consumers view their computers.


    The obvious answer is that they use applications and could care less about
    the OS.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:34:23 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> news:slrng3broh.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>> On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>>>>
    >>>>> There are a number of articles.
    >>>>
    >>>> And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed
    >>>> the
    >>>> machine?
    >>>
    >>> Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".
    >>>
    >>> It's hosing a microscopic part of it.

    >>
    >> For 99% of the population when they turn on the computer, and it's
    >> completely unusable and doesn't boot because of some cryptic grub message
    >> then their machine is hosed. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.

    >
    > Disabled doesn't equal destroyed, consumer fright notwithstanding.
    >
    > I can provide a car analogy if you like.
    >

    Here come the word games from Jedi.

    Back in the bin with you....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:19:37 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > news:slrng3bt7f.c31.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>> news:slrng3broh.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>> On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> There are a number of articles.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed
    >>>>> the
    >>>>> machine?
    >>>>
    >>>> Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".
    >>>>
    >>>> It's hosing a microscopic part of it.
    >>>
    >>> For 99% of the population when they turn on the computer, and it's
    >>> completely unusable and doesn't boot because of some cryptic grub
    >>> message
    >>> then their machine is hosed. It's absolutely ridiculous to think
    >>> otherwise.

    >>

    >
    >> Disabled doesn't equal destroyed, consumer fright notwithstanding.

    >
    > Consumer fright notwithstanding??? To average Joe who's computer is now a
    > paper-weight that's the equivalent of saying: "Not withstanding your
    > husband the President getting shot in the head and assassinated, how did
    > you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?"
    >
    >
    >
    >> I can provide a car analogy if you like.

    >
    > The last pathetic refuge of every linux advocate... a stupid car analogy.
    >
    >
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


    Don't waste your time with him.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    > You're responding to Jedi who is a relic from the past.
    > He makes huge assumptions and expects people to know things (fdisk/mbr)
    > that he happens to know.


    Oh that's really, really "deep" stuff there. I had to learn fdisk /mbr, it
    was necessary to keep my Windows computer running.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 23:04:15 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> You're responding to Jedi who is a relic from the past.
    >> He makes huge assumptions and expects people to know things (fdisk/mbr)
    >> that he happens to know.

    >
    > Oh that's really, really "deep" stuff there. I had to learn fdisk /mbr, it
    > was necessary to keep my Windows computer running.


    Actually it *is* deep stuff for an average user who probably doesn't even
    have a boot CD with the program on it.

    BTW the /mbr switch was officially undocumented for many years.

    http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/FDISK.htm#MBR

    So basically you are of the same ilk as Jebeddiah....



    --


    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    > So basically you are of the same ilk as Jebeddiah....


    If by the same "ilk" you mean I'm not a lying WinTroll, then I suppose I am
    of the same "ilk" as Jebeddiah. I suppose your "ilk" would be classified as
    parasites leeching off the butt of Bill Gates & Co.

    Not something I would brag about, if I were you.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  11. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 00:02:02 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> So basically you are of the same ilk as Jebeddiah....

    >
    > If by the same "ilk" you mean I'm not a lying WinTroll, then I suppose I am
    > of the same "ilk" as Jebeddiah. I suppose your "ilk" would be classified as
    > parasites leeching off the butt of Bill Gates & Co.
    >
    > Not something I would brag about, if I were you.


    Having trouble addressing the facts *wRong*?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    > Having trouble addressing the facts *wRong*?


    Nope, just a little slow in realizing that you had escaped from my killfile.

    Troll someone else.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  13. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 00:11:40 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Having trouble addressing the facts *wRong*?

    >
    > Nope, just a little slow in realizing that you had escaped from my killfile.
    >
    > Troll someone else.


    Typical Linux *advocate*.
    When he gets spanked, he runs and hides behind his filters.



    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".
    >>> It's hosing a microscopic part of it.

    >>
    >> For 99% of the population when they turn on the computer, and it's
    >> completely unusable and doesn't boot because of some cryptic grub message
    >> then their machine is hosed. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.

    >
    > Disabled doesn't equal destroyed, consumer fright notwithstanding.
    > I can provide a car analogy if you like.
    >
    > I think that even my most computer illiterate mother-in-law
    > understands the difference between her machine not booting and all
    > of her data being destroyed. As easily as a Windows machine can be
    > effectively disabled, the drama queen mentality may be far less
    > prevalent than you think.


    Especially since people are quite resigned to Windows hosing itself
    quite frequently (usually with the help of malware), anyway.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ule-cyberspace
    Bots rule in cyberspace

    King Bot of spamalot

    By Sylvie Barak: Monday, 17 March 2008, 12:21 PM

    USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800
    million computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out
    spam, viruses and to mine for sensitive personal data.

    An incredible record of incompetence, and an incredible symptom of an
    extremely sick market.

    And it isn't slacking off.

    Microsoft should be ashamed of itself.

    --
    The U.S. couldn't even get rid of Saddam Hussein. And we all know that the
    EU is just a passing fad. They'll be killing each other again in less than a
    year. I'm sick to death of all these fascist lawsuits.
    -- Bill Gates

  15. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:06:03 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>
    >> There are a number of articles.

    >
    > And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed
    > the machine?


    I it is his only machine, how did he post here/

    >
    > Your answer is a prime reason why LIEnix is free only if your time is
    > free.


    That may be true of LIEnix, whatever that is.

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    Linonut wrote:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ule-cyberspace
    > Bots rule in cyberspace
    >
    > King Bot of spamalot
    >
    > By Sylvie Barak: Monday, 17 March 2008, 12:21 PM
    >
    > USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800
    > million computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out
    > spam, viruses and to mine for sensitive personal data.
    >
    >An incredible record of incompetence, and an incredible symptom of an
    >extremely sick market.


    Man. 40%. That's beyond ridiculous. Nice job, Microshaft!

    And people don't seem to give a ****. They just go out and buy a new
    PC when the old one becomes unusable. God forbid they should learn
    something about computer security, much less a new and unfamiliar
    operating system...

    >And it isn't slacking off.
    >
    >Microsoft should be ashamed of itself.


    Indeed they should.


  17. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:14:33 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ule-cyberspace
    >> Bots rule in cyberspace
    >>
    >> King Bot of spamalot
    >>
    >> By Sylvie Barak: Monday, 17 March 2008, 12:21 PM
    >>
    >> USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800
    >> million computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out
    >> spam, viruses and to mine for sensitive personal data.
    >>
    >>An incredible record of incompetence, and an incredible symptom of an
    >>extremely sick market.

    >
    > Man. 40%. That's beyond ridiculous. Nice job, Microshaft!
    >
    > And people don't seem to give a ****. They just go out and buy a new PC
    > when the old one becomes unusable. God forbid they should learn something
    > about computer security, much less a new and unfamiliar operating
    > system...
    >
    >>And it isn't slacking off.
    >>
    >>Microsoft should be ashamed of itself.

    >
    > Indeed they should.


    They would need to have a conscience to be ashamed. M$ don't care about
    ethics or morals, all they care about is $$$$$$$.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  18. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:06:03 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Your answer is a prime reason why LIEnix is free only if your time is
    >> free.

    >
    > That may be true of LIEnix, whatever that is.


    Well, you're giving free air-time to that moron!

    --
    Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic
    competitors and it keeps us on our toes.
    -- Bill Gates

  19. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Thu, 22 May 2008 15:01:17 -0500
    <30kb341iaa0qp5tllvdor2ipv6382t5qb6@4ax.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>Not only easy dual-booting, but easy installation on
    >>>>a *one* partition machine as well -- by doing what's
    >>>>necessary to create another partition, then setting up
    >>>>GRUB (my preference) or LILO to boot the existing Windows
    >>>>partition properly, as well as the new Linux one.
    >>>
    >>> I suppose, but partition resizing, automated or not, is also a "scary"
    >>> endeavor. For those with C: already taking the entire first drive, I
    >>> recommend popping for a second drive for Linux..
    >>>
    >>> What I'd *really* like to see is dual-boot preinstalled at the
    >>> factory.

    >>
    >>That would be a mildly problematic solution for
    >>single-drive machines, mostly because drives do not have
    >>uniform transfer parameters nowadays. In other words,
    >>sectors nearer the center spindle will have lower rates
    >>than the outermost ones.

    >
    > I severely doubt that's a noticeable difference in performance, there.


    There's a lot of parameters. I'm frankly curious; I could run some
    fairly basic tests on my terabyte storage but doubt they'd be conclusive
    (Firewire isn't *that* fast, compared to the drive, methinks).

    >
    > OTOH, my "two drive" solution doesn't work too well for laptops...


    Ouch, yes, though one can replace the original drive readily enough.
    Also, Linux can easily boot from an external storage solution;
    this works reasonably well for repartitioning.

    >
    >>> M$ does not allow this, of course.

    >>
    >>I'll admit to some curiosity. I'd think that the user
    >>would have to ask for the dualboot option in any case
    >>(FreeBSD? HURD? blank?), but one can also ask for a
    >>dual-partitioned drive, where the first partition is for
    >>Windows and the second for data; the savvy installer can
    >>then change the type of the second partition and dedicate
    >>it for the other OS.

    >
    > Can you ask for a dual-partitioned drive, from places like Dell?
    >


    I've not a clue, frankly. They do have config screens
    and allow setting up a RAID0 (this on an XPS 420) but
    that's about it. The OS option assumes exactly one OS;
    three guesses which.

    Eracks isn't much better, though *their* OS selection
    is impressive. They don't have a dualboot option.
    They do have a "Notes" upon which one can scribble a
    few lines -- which may be where one would specify that
    sort of thing anyway.

    (I personally was able to have a local vendor set up a
    dual partition, at one point. The vendor, regrettably,
    is no more.)

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  20. Re: how can you advocate linux when it screws up your system?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Thu, 22 May 2008 19:19:37 -0400
    :
    >
    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > news:slrng3bt7f.c31.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>> news:slrng3broh.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>> On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 05:24:30 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Google: Ubuntu restore mbr
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> There are a number of articles.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> And what if this is your only machine and Linux, typically, has hosed
    >>>>> the
    >>>>> machine?
    >>>>
    >>>> Trashing your mbr is not "hosing your machine".
    >>>>
    >>>> It's hosing a microscopic part of it.
    >>>
    >>> For 99% of the population when they turn on the computer, and it's
    >>> completely unusable and doesn't boot because of some cryptic grub
    >>> message
    >>> then their machine is hosed. It's absolutely ridiculous to think
    >>> otherwise.

    >>

    >
    >> Disabled doesn't equal destroyed, consumer fright notwithstanding.

    >
    > Consumer fright notwithstanding??? To average Joe who's computer is now a
    > paper-weight that's the equivalent of saying: "Not withstanding your
    > husband the President getting shot in the head and assassinated, how did
    > you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?"


    For him, it's indeed a paper weight. For an expert
    surgeon, it's merely a matter of restoring the boot record
    and the partition table. Mrs. Lincoln doesn't quite have
    that option (still doesn't, if the bullet's too violent
    leading to aneurysms and strokes and other damage).

    >
    >
    >
    >> I can provide a car analogy if you like.

    >
    > The last pathetic refuge of every linux advocate... a stupid car analogy.


    Analogies are always suspect; the best one I can come
    up with is a four-tire blowout, or maybe a hose failure.
    One repairs the tires or hose.

    >
    >
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **



    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous munition.
    Please notify the US government immediately upon reception.
    0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2